Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 25th January 2015, 10:57   #6976
BHPian

Default Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by avimal View Post
but why safari, innova, pajero and other similar size vehicles don't exhibit this bouncing nature. I think it is something special with Mahindra suspensions as I see the same dancing in Scorpio also.
Who said Safari doesn't bounce?
I have a different opinion.

And then, Innova is more of an MPV and not an SUV. So, the body language would be different.
In the same breath, I also acknowledge that the Xylo is also an MPV, and it rolls like a boat at high seas. (May be due to the ladder on frame design).
Yes, like you said suspension also plays a part.

Duster, Terrano and Ecosport are more car like in behaviour due to its lesser size proportions in comparison and wider Wheel track. After all, those are five seaters and would have better driving dynamics.
Law of physics ofcourse plays- higher the CG, lower the stability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
The Fortuner is one of the worse riding vehicles out there. The XUV ride is leagues ahead of the Firtuner's. My dad forced me to take the next U-turn and head back home during a TD cause he was just too uncomfortable with the hard and bumpy ride.

The Innova is a different league.
I second you Vidyut.
Fortuner is bad in ride quality. However, its sturdy. No questions about that.

I don't think its fair to consider Innova as an SUV
dhanushmenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2015, 11:26   #6977
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundagenie View Post
Try driving a Fluence on the worst roads at high speeds and you wont feel even a single thump. I have done that and its remarkable. Infact the sales guys keep highlighting it as one of main strong point .
If I drive a Fluence on bad roads at good (forget high) speeds, both the bumpers will depart from the car in a matter of seconds.

A car will be composed over bad roads, some more than the others and same goes for SUV.

Pick your poison (after TD) No need to
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2015, 13:09   #6978
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
If I drive a Fluence on bad roads at good (forget high) speeds, both the bumpers will depart from the car in a matter of seconds.

A car will be composed over bad roads, some more than the others and same goes for SUV.

Pick your poison (after TD) No need to
Sheel, if that was the case, then we would be having bumpers strewn all over our indian roads. . I dont think any of the cars that we have in the market today are so badly made to lose their bumpers in a few secs or few minutes of driving fast on bad roads.

Not sure if you had tried driving a Fluence on bad roads.. I had taken an extensive TD of Fluence before buying XUV. The roads where I took the car for TD were ones where I used to drive slowly in other cars in 1st or 2nd gears. But with the Fluence I got the confidence to drive in 2nd or 3rd gears without slowing down, gliding smoothly over humps or potholes. With very less strain on my bad back. Also I have read cars made in france always have good suspensions considering there are lot of cobbled streets/roads out there.

FundaG

FundaG
fundagenie is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2015, 09:08   #6979
BHPian

What is the tire pressure are you all maintaining? I have set the OEM recommended pressure, with Nitrogen, and it feels slightly better. Thinking if I reduce the pressure by another 1 or 2psi, ride comfort may be better.
username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2015, 23:24   #6980
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by username View Post
What is the tire pressure are you all maintaining? I have set the OEM recommended pressure, with Nitrogen, and it feels slightly better. Thinking if I reduce the pressure by another 1 or 2psi, ride comfort may be better.
I have been maintaining 34 psi in the front and 32 psi at the rear. On the bluesense app it shows 38 and 36 respectively. Ride is a bit hard, but the tyre side walls don't fold too much. I have covered 33000 odd kms so far and the tyres look to be at their half life. (Bridgestone make)
manipal is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2015, 11:14   #6981
BHPian

Isn't the OEM recommended tyre pressure 32 at the front and 30 at the rear? I have filled nitrogen to the same pressure and the ride is slightly better. Edge of the side wall appears to be closer to the road, but doesn't. Thinking of reducing the tyre pressure by 1psi.
username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2015, 18:03   #6982
BHPian

The Aluminium Dotted foot steps and Black Powder coated Roof carrier in the below site looks good. There are no dealers in Bangalore for them. Would like to hear if any feedback on their products from Delhi BHPians

http://sekhricardec.com/mahindraxuv500.html
Twiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2015, 21:43   #6983
BHPian

Question Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Dear Members,
I have just joined the forum and went through all the 466 pages of this informative thread along with the ones by Mr J Ravi, Dhanush Menon and exhaustive Niggles thread. In fact spent the better part of my free time for the last month and half reading numerous threads of Team BHP. Now the question arises why???

1. I am planning to buy a Cheetah BUT the numerous problems given by members scares me MOREOVER the great reviews by several members gives me the confidence to go for it. I can hear a resounding YES from many members.

2. I am an Army guy and the job demands that I may get relocated to places where getting the Cheetah serviced may become an issue and the demand by Cheetah for frequent trips for resolving the niggles may not be prompt.( with all due respect to the owners I am not speculating but contemplating what if).

3. Being from the Army my Mind still rules over my heart so making the decision requires some solid convincing, From the bottom of my heart I have already dreamt of the Cheetah in my Garage.

4. The zillion Rupee Question W6 or W8 (money is not a concern but lack of A.S.S near my future postings:- should this be of any concern in making my decision)

I hope the learned members would definitely put my fears to rest. Has any member picked up a cheetah with VIN of January any assurance of Mahindra having resolved more niggles at the factory itself would be helpful.

Regards and Happy Driving
RajeVenu is online now   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2015, 08:28   #6984
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeVenu View Post

I hope the learned members would definitely put my fears to rest. Has any member picked up a cheetah with VIN of January any assurance of Mahindra having resolved more niggles at the factory itself would be helpful.
Hello,

The current XUV's are very much niggle free. Rarely very minor niggles might occur, but trust me those are very minor to be ignored and can occur with any car, nothing that will leave you stranded.

You need not worry about after sales service because Mahindra ASS has a good network all over India.

I would suggest you to wait for the updated XUV, which should be launched by March or little later. It will come with few added feature, a new dash board and few cosmetic changes in exteriors.

Whenever you plan to go for one, go for W8, I went for W6 and today me craving for the features of W8.
rahul_kej is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2015, 08:30   #6985
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
lack of A.S.S near my future postings
Mahindra has 300+ A S S in various parts of India including remote areas, I understand. Beyond 3 free services and warranty period, Mahindra vehicles could be serviced at any non-A S S without any issue, which should not be a concern, IMO. Having said that, nothing is perfect in this world. Be prepared for some niggles and unpleasant things during your buying and servicing processes, should you decide to buy XUV 500. I did not face any issue - not even a puncture - during my mega trip of 6,981 km in 16 days to HP, CH, PB and RJ in September 2014. I wish you all the best, RajeVenu.
J.Ravi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2015, 10:44   #6986
BHPian

Does the MID avg FE has 18 kmpl as the maximum limit?
inder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2015, 13:30   #6987
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by inder View Post
Does the MID avg FE has 18 kmpl as the maximum limit?
Yes. Lowest is 9 and highest is 18. Seems funny - the logic of not showing above 18.

At 90-95km/h on an open highway with the air-con off, its pretty easy to get 18 on the display (which reads about 5% over the actual). I really wanted to see what the XUV can do on a long drive at controlled speeds. Sigh!

PS: Getting about 12.5 to 13 in Delhi NCR. Got 13.5 on a 945 road trip to Narkanda and beyond.
BunnyPunia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2015, 13:37   #6988
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyPunia View Post
PS: Getting about 12.5 to 13 in Delhi NCR. Got 13.5 on a 945 road trip to Narkanda and beyond.
Please post pictures of what you did with your XUV in snow. Am sure lots will get ideas and few will be happy to see them.
Sheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2015, 14:38   #6989
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Please post pictures of what you did with your XUV in snow. Am sure lots will get ideas and few will be happy to see them.

Base was Mashobra, 15km ahead of Shimla or around 360 from Delhi. XUV loves highways and its in a league of its own in 5th and 6th. Was constantly getting 14-15 as per display on plains.

Love the torque in the hills. Mine is the AWD version. These images are from around Narkanda. Narkanda is 64km from Shimla. Pictures taken from a phone and hence the low quality. Electronics gave me a lot of confidence on these roads (taking turns on black ice, braking for oncoming vehicles, putting two wheels in the snow for pics etc)
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-20150111_140347_hdr.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-20150111_140400_hdr.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-20150111_140425_hdr.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-20150111_143651_hdr.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-20150111_143720_hdr.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-20150111_143844_hdr.jpg  

BunnyPunia is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2015, 15:27   #6990
BHPian

Quote:

2. I am an Army guy and the job demands that I may get relocated to places
Mahindra has enough showrooms across the country, second only to Maruti.
I understand that what would pester you might be the visits you might have to take if any niggle persist.
However, you should consider the fact that the mileage of the "niggles thread" was mainly due to the initial lot.
After the rectifications lately by Mahindra, the niggles haven't been much.
And that much of trouble, you will get in any car in India.
If you closely take a look, niggles are there in all cars.
A particular defect, for one may be a persisting niggle, but someone else might not even notice the same.

And like JRavi said, you can safely get the vehicle serviced by non A.S.S, if it comes to that. It ain't a Ferrari engine which is sophisticated beyond comprehension.

Quote:
3. Being from the Army my Mind still rules over my heart
Sir ji, life is short.
Very short.
Follow your heart.

Quote:
4. The zillion Rupee Question W6 or W8 (money is not a concern but lack of A.S.S near my future postings:- should this be of any concern in making my decision)
That's a personal perception.
I felt that W8 is the most value for money.
Six Airbags and ESP- that alone takes the cherry along with a host of other features.
If I may quote myself from my own thread:
"You can't attach a price for safety, Can you?"

Would you go for an ambush without a helmet and bullet proof jacket?
More the merrier, ain't it?

Why not the same safety consciousness when you travel in your car too?

NB: 1) The views are mine and mine only.
In case you go ahead for the plunge and then you become unsatisfied, I am not to be blamed for brain washing you. (I would give the same disclaimer for any car in market today)

2) Don't ask many people for opinion. You will end up only more confused.
Haven't you heard?: "If You ask ten people, you will get 100 opinions".
Definitely do research.
But have your wisdom take the call.
dhanushmenon is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote