Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 2nd February 2015, 23:02   #6991
BHPian

Default Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Thanks to fellow members Mr J.Ravi, DhanushMenon & Rahul_kej for putting my fears to rest. I think the verdict is clear I have decided what has to be done. Hoping to join the Cheetah club soon. Will keep every body posted. Thanks to this forum I am sure it will be an experience worth undertaking.
Regards
RajeVenu is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2015, 21:05   #6992
BHPian

Hi All, not sure if it's only me... I drove to Ooty today, and the suspension really made it a tough climb... Some patches in the road were not great, and the car really made it worse. Felt like there was no suspension at all... Wobbling like anything. Did you guys also face similar issues?

Note from Mod : Please do not type with execessive dots like this.......Please compose the paragraph neatly as it helps giving readers a better experience. Thanks

Last edited by mobike008 : 5th February 2015 at 23:47.
username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2015, 22:47   #6993
BHPian

I also feel that the suspension setup of the XUV needs some deliberation from Mahindra since it is not a primarily Off road vehicle, the ride can be made more comfy & tuned to city & highway driving. Since most users feel the ride of cheetah is a little stiff has someone tried something to make it smoother.
RajeVenu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2015, 17:37   #6994
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by o.D View Post
Any recommendations for fully synthetic engine oils. Will be at the garage for the regular service and want to move to fully synthetic oil. Help please.
Quote:
Originally Posted by avimal View Post
They have some hybrid oil prescribed by Mahindra ( not sure if it possible to have mixture of mineral and synthetic oil). Why to not follow what manufacturer suggests unless you have strong reason for not doing so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Horse View Post
Fellow BHPian Manipal has been using Shell Rotella T6 a fully synthetic oil (Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review).

He's extremely happy having purchased it from Amazon. Landed cost in India is around Rs 10K and should easily last 20K kms. I am seriously considering it.
Check this out for more information on Shell Rotella
Quote:
Originally Posted by o.D View Post
5W-40, checking if its available in Mobil and also OWS. Any changes wrt the gear box oil.

Thanks a ton Heavy Horse.
Instead of Fully-Synthetic (and / or may be costlier) engine oil stretching to 20,000 kms change frequency, your car engine would love engine oil change more frequently, say 5-7K kms & it can even be simple mineral oil.

Mahindra "Maximile FEO" engine oil is quite good and is available at throw-away price. Instead of the stipulated 20K kms change frequency, I use the same oil at a frequency of 10K kms. Had it not been available at that lower rates, I would have gone for a simple mineral oil with a change-interval of 5-6K kms
TheIndian is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2015, 17:46   #6995
BHPian

I am looking for a good SUV to upgrade from sedan, having being driving this segment for over a decade. I go for long drives (4000+) couple of times in a year. There are some plans for Bhutan and Himalayan drive.

XUV 500, I think is better in stability, handling and features being offered compared to its competitors. Thanks to all contributors in this thread and other threads in TBHP, I have almost decided for XUV W8 Model... with or without AWD.

Is it worth spending additional 1.25L for AWD which is not a 4X4 technically? Considering I will not be taking car in extreme off-roading.. over rocks or boulders.. however, expect to drive through country roads.

Appreciate you thoughts please.
fiesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2015, 17:54   #6996
Distinguished - BHPian

Good + SUV != XUV5oo

Hmmm is this a good equation? AWD if not used more than 1%~5% of the time is not worth. Rope and local help is better and cost effective alternate.
sudev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2015, 19:50   #6997
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeVenu View Post
I also feel that the suspension setup of the XUV needs some deliberation from Mahindra since it is not a primarily Off road vehicle, the ride can be made more comfy & tuned to city & highway driving. Since most users feel the ride of cheetah is a little stiff has someone tried something to make it smoother.
Stiff? I don't own a XUV. But based on my 1500+ kms drive to Goa and then to Coimbatore, I felt the suspension is soft. While on highways, any small pothole or bump makes me jump inside. I feel the current suspension setup is good for city driving. But for highways, I felt it needs to be little more stiff to avoid bouncing.
sbala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2015, 20:27   #6998
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbala View Post
But for highways, I felt it needs to be little more stiff to avoid bouncing.
Trust me its the vice versa. This SUV is built to cruise on highways.
rahul_kej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2015, 21:29   #6999
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_kej View Post

True. In cities / offroads, any small undulation is being amplified, making the ride very uncomfortable.
username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2015, 11:27   #7000
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
+1 If i see potholes , i just drive fast to make the ride better. Slow speed ride in bad roads is the one very uncomfortable .
undead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2015, 14:57   #7001
BHPian

Quote:
Oh.. my experience is totally different. Was there a change in suspension setup between launch model and 2013 model. I know my friend has a 2013 model. Somehow, i never got the feel of driving beyond 120 kmph due to its bouncing nature.
Old 6th February 2015, 15:45   #7002
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiesta View Post
I have almost decided for XUV W8 Model... with or without AWD.
The recently launched Scorpio S4+ 4WD is something you may want to consider.

It won't handle as good as the XUV, and the middle row on the XUV is probably more spacious, but it does have the basic safety features like ABS+Airbags, and the ex-showroom price is around 10.8 lacs.

That's quite a good price IMO for a 4WD vehicle.

Last edited by sdp1975 : 6th February 2015 at 15:48.
sdp1975 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2015, 15:56   #7003
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbala View Post
Oh.. my experience is totally different. Was there a change in suspension setup between launch model and 2013 model. I know my friend has a 2013 model. Somehow, i never got the feel of driving beyond 120 kmph due to its bouncing nature.
I don't think there is any change done in suspension since the launch. Car is very planted at high speed on tar roads. It drives like a car on highways.

There might be some problem with bushes or something in your car. you should check with service advisor.
avimal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2015, 16:20   #7004
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeVenu View Post
No offence meant but that is the USP of XUV500. I don't want a car like suspension in my vehicle.
venuvedam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2015, 17:21   #7005
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avimal View Post
I don't think there is any change done in suspension since the launch. Car is very planted at high speed on tar roads. It drives like a car on highways.

There might be some problem with bushes or something in your car. you should check with service advisor.
Thanks.. Actually, Its my friend's car. Anyways - I will let him know about this. He also felt the same. May be i will drive it again to see if i had to change my perception