Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 13th June 2015, 23:52   #7426

Default Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Hello folks,

It has been a while, since i had posted about my 'disappointed faith' in the MnM guys, after I had the issue with my center console top opening drawer (waterfall). However, with great pleasure i would like to keep you all informed the Mumbai Service station (Kurla) got my job done!
Amazing attitude and support shown by the Head Services (Mr. Amol Surve) and RM (Mr. Sandeep Pawar); they had simply taken on heir shoulders to ensure I have change in opinion about the service and made sure everything is sorted properly.

Kudos to MnM and truly thankful to their team!

Cheers,
SK
sKHAIR is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2015, 22:58   #7427

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
I am humbled by your love and respect towards Indian car brand and its success. I am too of the same sentiment when it comes to Indian car makers, who are successfully competing now with foreign brands, in foreign lands! But the fact is that the cars which go out of India, are made differently. They are much safer, much better finished, much better materials used, and much more value for money for a typical buyer of that segment. Where as in India, the Indian made cars in these segments will feel cheaply built.
Thanks for your kind words and I agree, India is an extremely price sensitive market where every car major struggles to keep costs down. Fact is, even if Merc or BMW were to sell a completely Indian designed SUV for 16 lacs, it would suffer hugely in terms of quality,fit and finish. Conversely, if price were not a factor then Mahindra can and would give you a world beater.

Then there are others like Toyota who are selling their outdated models in India as they've already made money from them, so why not use it for low cost markets. Perfect example is Innova which was launched in 2002/2003. Already matured in other markets.

You may wait for the XUV to mature but there are 100,000+ who have taken a leap of faith to back an indigenious brand without waiting for it to mature. They have suffered the growing up pangs in term of numerous initial niggles and defects but still stood by the brand. My hats off to all those initial buyers and I'm sure Mahindra values them immensely.

A brand has to grow in the home market first and foremost before it can be a success overseas and I have no doubt that Mahindra will be in Pole position in years to come as far as an indigenious home grown auto maker is concerned.

Just my 2 cents
Spiritualuv is offline   (8) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2015, 14:29   #7428

Quick question: I am sure there must be an existing Whats-app group for XUV owners in Mumbai, is there a way to find out how we can be a part of the same for good exchange thoughts queries and addressing concerns.

If not can i propose that we create one for all the enthusiasts over here, it will be a good tool to stay updated and informed about our beast and what more that having an army of experts in our pocket for anyone of our quick queries and questions.

Also, i feel this will help us all bond more concretely with one another.

Would like to have thoughts from everyone. Also, any suggestions in this regard will be welcome. Let me know if this idea makes sense and is workable. I can take the pain of getting all the numbers and eventually forming a group.

Awaiting confirmations!!!

Best,
sK

Happy Riding!!!
sKHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2015, 15:26   #7429
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
supertinu
SDP, noted the black grill on your car in the official review. It looks swell. I am tempted to do that on my silver W8 as well. I think it should look good on silver also. Btw is it sticker or paint?
supertinu is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2015, 17:29   #7430
BHPian

Hey FOlks, I have noticed on my car the middle row AC vents have a very minimal air flow. Only when the fan speed is beyond 3 that some amount of air can be felt coming out. This is inconvenient on a hot day and makes the last row vents mandatory to keep middle row passengers cool or increase fan speed really high which is very noisy. Checked on my colleagues car and he had the same experience. Is this normal ? or any ways to improve this?

Mods - please club the 2 posts, I was out of editing time zone

Last edited by supertinu : 16th June 2015 at 17:30.
supertinu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2015, 19:22   #7431
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertinu View Post
Hey FOlks, I have noticed on my car the middle row AC vents have a very minimal air flow. Only when the fan speed is beyond 3 that some amount of air can be felt coming out. This is inconvenient on a hot day and makes the last row vents mandatory to keep middle row passengers cool or increase fan speed really high which is very noisy. Checked on my colleagues car and he had the same experience. Is this normal ? or any ways to improve this?

Supertinu, I had logged this as a complaint during my first service. I was told that there is no fix to this. It is seen on all XUVs. I switch on rear AC and adjust the third row vents when I have passengers in the second row.
Sanjunair5 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2015, 14:35   #7432
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
SDP, noted the black grill on your car in the official review. It looks swell. I am tempted to do that on my silver W8 as well. I think it should look good on silver also. Btw is it sticker or paint?
Actually someone from FB group shared a pic of his Silver XUV with the grill wrapped in carbon-fiber wrap from 3M. Unfortunately forgot the name of the gentleman, would have loved to give him credit. He also had a chrome strip at the top of the grill (available as part of genuine accessories). It looked super cool on silver XUV. Got the details from the gentleman and got it done in my car at a local 3M outlet. Only difference is I have used matte-black instead of carbon-fiber look wrap. I am still contemplating whether to add that chrome strip at the top, but will stay with the current look for some time before deciding.

Name:  FB_IMG_1426955658380.jpg
Views: 4028
Size:  76.1 KB

Name:  FB_IMG_1426956827575.jpg
Views: 2673
Size:  72.5 KB

Source: XUV group on FB. Photo credit - Original owner and photographer

Last edited by SDP : 17th June 2015 at 14:36.
SDP is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2015, 16:18   #7433
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Actually someone from FB group shared a pic of his Silver XUV with the grill wrapped in carbon-fiber wrap from 3M. Unfortunately forgot the name of the gentleman, would have loved to give him credit.
This looks killer . I already have the top chrome strip on my car, got it when i bought it. Maybe will retain the current look for a yr and then change to black keep some level of freshness.

For your car's color I feel that chrome strip may not look as good as it will contrast a lot with red. Chrome strip looked better on silver in my opinion when i checked at the dealer. Just a personal taste though.
supertinu is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2015, 17:07   #7434
Senior - BHPian

I just did some paint job and I was thinking how does the car look if we have a chrome strip in between similar to the facelift version. So this is what it looks like (sorry for the not so good paint job as I am very weak in it)

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-fb_img_1426955658380.jpg

Probably I would get it done at the earliest.
fusionbang is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2015, 00:31   #7435

Quote:

I follow another method by closing the front far left and far right vents,leaving the 2 middle vents open for the front occupants, which are quite sufficient. Then I increase the fan speed to 5. This dramatically increases airflow in the middle row without the need to switch on rear a/c which can be uneconomical. If there's only one person on the rear bench,then a further increase in air flow can be achieved by closing the opposite side pillar vent.
Spiritualuv is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2015, 14:04   #7436
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritualuv View Post
I follow another method by closing the front far left and far right vents,leaving the 2 middle vents open for the front occupants, which are quite sufficient. Then I increase the fan speed to 5. This dramatically increases airflow in the middle row without the need to switch on rear a/c which can be uneconomical. If there's only one person on the rear bench,then a further increase in air flow can be achieved by closing the opposite side pillar vent.
This is a good idea. I guess I need to experiment with these things over the weekend to see the optimum soln. Usually my wife is on the backseat with my toddler daughter and complains about it most.
supertinu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2015, 14:44   #7437
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
. Usually my wife is on the backseat with my toddler daughter and complains about it most.
In this case, simply shut down both front passenger side vents as there is no one sitting there. This will increase the flow in middle row vents.
nitinralli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2015, 11:25   #7438
BHPian

I really wonder if the current coloured touch screen can be fixed in w6 model. Has anyone enquired about this from Mahindra or thought about implementing this.

I know few features wont work but still it will be great to get it fixed on w6 models, if only Mahindra provides with those touch screen as spares, I think even that silver box has to be replaced.
rahul_kej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2015, 11:53   #7439
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_kej View Post
I really wonder if the current coloured touch screen can be fixed in w6 model. Has anyone enquired about this from Mahindra or thought about implementing this.
I did check this with the sales rep and accessories manager. The colour infotainment do not come as accessories is what i was told.
I am sure the spares will be available if they need to replace on the W8 or W10 but not as accessories.

I believe they discourage few of these options so customers can upgrade to a higher variant than upgrading individual parts.
Prash22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2015, 01:19   #7440
BHPian

Almost managed to get into an accident, but saved by esp

While my friends said god saved me, I found a correct reason

Bosch,

Found the video showing how it works

They should make things like abs and esp mandatory like having seat belts
vaibhavdalal is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote