Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 2nd November 2011, 02:40   #121
BHPian

Default Re: Hyundai Eon : Test Drive & Review

Pretty nice review GTO, as usual

I am owning a getz since 3 years and 1 quality that has really spoiled me is the absolute "no rattle" experience. The only thing that irritates is when the seat belt knuckle is left loose and it either keeps hitting the door or the body. I find the rear seat-belt knuckle holders as very practical solution to this problem. Over all it looks like a pretty neat product. But where is the dead peddle?
sunil.nv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2011, 03:32   #122
BHPian

Hyundai claims to have 9000 bookings for Eon , now people dreaming that it is an Alto beater will get a reality check . XUV a ten lakh plus vehicle got over 8000 bookings in ten days and Mahindra had to put out a sold out board . If in the initial month , with all the hype Eon has got 9000 bookings[only claims actual figures will definitely be lower] you can safely say the market response hasn't been overwhelming to the Eon.

Source :Hyundai Motor's October sales down 7.5 per cent - The Economic Times
needforspeed88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2011, 12:32   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by needforspeed88 View Post
You know Eon is such a fresh , good looking product that it can continueto look fresh and modern for a long time to come . It is where the future lies. Hyundai would do best to make sure Eon gets a head start than holding it back only to milk some more life out of Santro.
Definitely agree with this statement. All that Hyundai did was to give a "fresh look". Newer and better features can always be added later as a marketing strategy to push sales.

Quote:
Originally Posted by auto-one View Post
Thanks GTO, for your excellent ( as usual ) review.
However, I fail to understand why the EON is not equipped with rear defogger and wiper. IMO these are absolutely necessary features. Also, I agree with GTO, the car should have been offered with ABS instead of driver's side Airbag.
This is a known trick in marketing and sales. The first gen products always have something missing. The company would try and make money from the "want something fresh and new" psychology of people. Then, when the sales chart of first gen models becomes flat, or sales are seen going down, it's time for the "version 2.0" of the car which comes with ABS, Airbags, Rear defoggers, Rear wipers, <name your feature here>, etc. Again, when the version 2 sales start slowing down, its time for version 3 .. this time something radical - like a better engine, or some other driving / performance related component, like Automatic models, etc.

This is how you retain your market share. A perrrrrrfect analogy, although a bit off-topic is the Apple iPhone. All that the first gen iPhone had was a "fresh and new" full touchscreen phone. That was enough to rocket Apple's sales through the roof. Then came 3G, then came 3G-S, and the much hyped "copy and paste feature" (duh!!!) and iPhone 4 and now (a lame) 4-S.

Remember - it is the same concept as in the first gen phone - its a touch screen based phone, but Apple was shrewd enough to keep improving things one by one and that's how you keep your customers hooked to your products. They want more .. and you give them that little "more" in each iteration of your product.

That said, coming back to topic, the entry level car market in India is extremely sensitive. With fuel prices ready to increase by another 2Rs/litre, the first time car buyer will have to look beyond the glam and fancy of the "appearance" of a car and go with his gut - i.e., Value for Money. When it comes to the Eon, I don't think its a Value for Money option, specially at that price point. 4.0 to 4.5 Lakhs for a small 800cc car? You've gotta be kiddin me!
vsathyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2011, 13:38   #124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsathyap View Post
This is a known trick in marketing and sales. The first gen products always have something missing. The company would try and make money from the "want something fresh and new" psychology of people. Then, when the sales chart of first gen models becomes flat, or sales are seen going down, it's time for the "version 2.0"
This was going on since long long time, this is going on now and this will be going on in future also. The best example (as you have also touched) is Mobile phone industry, No single handset was, is and will be available with all the features. In fact, unlike in case of cars, it is easily possible to give all the features in a single handset at a particular price point, but in case of cars, I don't think so as the wish list is very very long.
carwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2011, 22:21   #125
BHPian

waiting for this month's sales figures to see how the Eon has done v/s the alto. The news from the Auto industry is not very bright, lets see when the figures are out.
man_and_machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2011, 22:53   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The Hyundai Eon has been launched in India at a price of 2.69 - 3.71 Lakhs (ex-Delhi).
Just out of curiosity - with similar budget as a customer, why I should prefer EON and NOT Chevy SPARK.

Last edited by AvonA7 : 3rd November 2011 at 22:56.
AvonA7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2011, 22:30   #127
Senior - BHPian

The EON is not selling well. 2-3 Hyundai dealers tell that the price is overoptimistic and customers are balking at the price. Besides, one can get a lower variant of i10 after discounts. The initial response is below average.
sidindica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2011, 16:14   #128
BHPian

Just a quick update - My cousin who had booked his Eon Magna(O) 3 weeks back cancelled it. I think he was charged some amount for cancellation.

Instead, he booked a Chevy Beat - and got it for about the same price, give or take 10 thousand rupees; plus the added goodies like Chevy's 3 year service @ 0 cost, some accessories, etc. Definitely more VFM!
vsathyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2011, 18:43   #129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
The EON is not selling well. 2-3 Hyundai dealers tell that the price is overoptimistic and customers are balking at the price. Besides, one can get a lower variant of i10 after discounts. The initial response is below average.
But what about the lower variants? The one with AC & PS is only 30K expensive than the Alto LXi. It is not that expensive.
oxyzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2011, 22:41   #130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
But what about the lower variants? The one with AC & PS is only 30K expensive than the Alto LXi. It is not that expensive.
The discounts on the Alto is (at least was till a few days back) upto 30-40k across all variants which brings the price differential up by a significant margin to change the prospective buyer's decision.
dipen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2011, 10:41   #131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carwatcher View Post
Infact all Hyundai cars (incl Verna) lack power and driving pleasure.
Hyundai Car's definitely do not lack POWER, especially the Diesels. The new Verna's 1.6 and the I20's 1.4 are power rockets!!! Even the old 1.5 diesel Verna (which I own, and can attest to) has a ridiculous amount of power.
The i10 Kappa2 is the best engine in it's segment.

I do agree with you however, that they lack driving pleasure.
They cant handle for peanuts, any of them.

Steering feedback, what's that?
High-speed Stability, who cares?

But they are powerful powerful machines.

Note: I am planning to put performance after-market suspension on my Verna to help with the handling issue. Should be fine after that
kadanaJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2011, 15:49   #132
BHPian

A 900 Cr project from EON and slow response from the market. Well what is the slow response that we are comparing against. Sales figures in the similar market segments needs to be compared.

Car sales were touching low since a long time this year. the festive season gave it a decent high and thats when EON got launched. I think the launch time was great and the slow sales are due to the market apprehension about how would the car do.

Even the sales people at Hyundai say that there are lots of inquiries but skepticism is very evident on the performance of the car.

I now own a EON Magna(O) and am loving it. Its my first car and people get attracted to it every time that in the last week that i took it around.
we all have heard and talked about the good interiors, new age exterior design, decent rear leg space, nice tall design for easy ingress and egress. good boot space, nice city car etc etc. so as i compared it to Alto i was OK in spending a few extra bucks and getting all these positivies over the old horse Alto.

I am sure with time the car will get more and more acceptance and would do well.
As of now i am enjoing the car. i may sound biased towards the car since i have bought it but then i am confident of it.
mahen_narang is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2011, 17:20   #133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahen_narang View Post
A 900 Cr project from EON and slow response from the market. Well what is the slow response that we are comparing against. Sales figures in the similar market segments needs to be compared.

Car sales were touching low since a long time this year. the festive season gave it a decent high and thats when EON got launched. I think the launch time was great and the slow sales are due to the market apprehension about how would the car do.

Even the sales people at Hyundai say that there are lots of inquiries but skepticism is very evident on the performance of the car.

I now own a EON Magna(O) and am loving it. Its my first car and people get attracted to it every time that in the last week that i took it around.
we all have heard and talked about the good interiors, new age exterior design, decent rear leg space, nice tall design for easy ingress and egress. good boot space, nice city car etc etc. so as i compared it to Alto i was OK in spending a few extra bucks and getting all these positivies over the old horse Alto.

I am sure with time the car will get more and more acceptance and would do well.
As of now i am enjoing the car. i may sound biased towards the car since i have bought it but then i am confident of it.
congratulations on your new car .

I think yours is the first Eon on the forum . looking forward to a detailed
ownership review from you . Would be really helpful to prospective buyers.
needforspeed88 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2011, 00:36   #134
BHPian

Arrow Re: Hyundai Eon : Test Drive & Review

Drew my car for about 40 odd Km today and believe me there were a lot of heads turning towards the car. At the traffic signal adjacent car drivers asked for my user experience and i gave a Thumbs UP.

Visited the showroom from where i bought my car and there were a couple of deliveries scheduled for the day, the dealer says that they have delivered about 180 EONs in the last month. Would not trust him for that figure as i have personally seen only "one" other EON on the Mumbai road so far and i travel daily from Andheri to Borivli on the highway daily.

Other than the shaking gear lever i see no other negativity in the car. AC is great, pick up is good, too early to talk about mileage but am sure that the car would give me anywhere around 16 in the city drive and hence would prove economical.

Another aspect i would like to bring about is that the car looks very small as compared to other cars but then it is surprisingly spacious inside as to what feeling it gives outside, would share a few pics soon in this regards.
mahen_narang is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2011, 17:59   #135
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahen_narang View Post

Other than the shaking gear lever i see no other negativity in the car.
Can u please expand on this . I have not driven the car personally . Is it mild or is it significant to be annoying ? You cannot totally get rid off it cos of the three pot but does the
gear lever always vibrate on the move ?

Are u planning to upgrade the tires ?

Last edited by needforspeed88 : 13th November 2011 at 18:00.
needforspeed88 is offline   Reply With Quote