Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 15th February 2015, 21:24   #2056
BHPian
 
abhjain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 200
Thanked: 58 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007 View Post
My car is 1.5 manual transmission ambition plus. The lag was high on the hills compared to the normal highway driving. However i did feel the lag more when i was over taking in the highways as well.
Since I am using the same variant on DSG and having driven a good part on the hills I would suggest a check up at the nearest ASS. Though I never felt any sluggish nature of the engine but it opened up further after my last visit to ASS. Maybe an update of the map or basic cleaning of air filter should do the trick. All the best and do report back.
abhjain is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2015, 22:27   #2057
BHPian
 
H_Dogg72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 279
Thanked: 141 Times
Default

Definitely get it checked. The engine is quite powerful and should not feel strained or hell, laggy at all!
Best way for you would be to take a test drive of the rapid and then compare it to your car.
H_Dogg72 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2015, 20:53   #2058
BHPian
 
lakshman1067's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 50
Thanked: 23 Times
Default Re: Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007 View Post
1. The car felt very lethargic on the hills. It looked like there is very less power. It was struggling hard to pull. We were just three people in the car with reasonable luggage.
There were few roads from Hosur to Krishnagiri were there are lots of up and downs during my trip to chennai.Since I was on cruise control with 5 on board, I couldnt find much difference in the lag. Also the car pulled without any struggle to maintain the speed to maintain the speed set over the hills.On the highways from Krishnagiri to vellore, the car felt planted over the roads and maintained 120km/hr without any strain or any downshift.It pulled effortlessly from 60 in the 5th.It did corner without any fuss with my 185 rubber as I was maintaining the right lane throught the journey. But at tight corners with 185 the steering feels really tight.Was considering changing to 195/65 or 205/55 but didnt want to take risk of loosing warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007 View Post
3. The head light throw was very minimal and I felt an upgrade is must. Will get it done soon.
Trust me, even the projectors werent good enough on a 3 lane road.The fog lamps had to be used to get some clarity on the roads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007 View Post
4. AC was superb. The cabin chills very quickly. However the blower noise was high at fan level 2 itself.
Did not face this issue so far.But it was really loud when the blower reached the top less two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007 View Post
6.Somehow I was not comfortable with the seating position through out. Still I am yet to find a perfect seating position for me. I am 6 feet well built person.
I am 6ft and medium built as well and I am facing the same issue as yours. I have kept the seats height to its lowest and pushed it back a bit. Somehow I manage to hit the dash with my knees all times.Still looking for the right position.

Do refer to the thread where one of the member(Kryptonite) has done the initial run changing the gears at different RPM. I have also noticed that when you ride a bit rough the mileage seem to increase than when you normally drive.

I have driven over 3500kms so far(Mixed driving)'on different roads and still feel the engine can deliver better.

Kindly do PM if you wish to have a check and compare with my car.It would also give me an idea of what to look for.
lakshman1067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2015, 12:30   #2059
BHPian
 
patron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 177
Thanked: 88 Times
Default Re: Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review

I am taking delivery of Elegance TDI AT today. I enquired about upgrading the HU to Philadelphia 835. The price quoted is 58k after buy back of the stock HU.

This includes the HU, Original Skoda Relay (9k - for the steering controls to work) and camera.

Seemed a bit too high, is the relay really required? I did not see a mention of a relay in any other installations on a Rapid on the forum.
patron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2015, 12:39   #2060
Team-BHP Support
 
Gannu_1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Madras
Posts: 4,346
Thanked: 8,033 Times
Default Re: Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by patron View Post
I am taking delivery of Elegance TDI AT today. I enquired about upgrading the HU to Philadelphia 835. The price quoted is 58k after buy back of the stock HU.
You are being ripped off by the dealer! Don't fall for it!

The HU costs Rs. 44k from Snapdeal (link) including a free installation from a Blaupunkt certified FNG. No wires need to be spiced and taped - the included harness takes care of this. So there are absolutely no issues w.r.t. the warranty getting void. And no relays (!) are required for the swap.

Your old HU can easily fetch 5-6k if sold on the Classifieds section or some other portal. The dealer will pocket more than this amount when he intends to sell this HU to another buyer.

Refer our dedicated Philadelphia 835 thread for more information.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 18th February 2015 at 12:51.
Gannu_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2015, 12:53   #2061
BHPian
 
patron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 177
Thanked: 88 Times
Default Re: Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
You are being ripped off by the dealer! Don't fall for it!

The HU costs Rs. 44k from Snapdeal (link) including a free installation from a Blaupunkt certified FNG. No wires need to be spiced and taped - the included harness takes care of this. So there's no issues w.r.t. the warranty getting void. And no relays (!) are required for the swap.

Your old HU can easily fetch 5-6k if sold on the Classifieds section or some other portal. The dealer will pocket more than this amount when he intends to sell this HU to another buyer.
Thanks. I was going to get the unit from Snapdeal and mentioned the same to the dealer and was told that warranty will be void if done outside the dealership. But the camera is to be procured separately and I was surprised to hear about the relay hence the question. I rechecked again and was told without the relay the steering controls will not work.

Here is the breakup:

1. Relay: +9000
2. Camera: +3000
3. HU: +49990
4. Buyback: -4000
Total: 57990

Rounded to 55000
patron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2015, 15:20   #2062
BHPian
 
lakshman1067's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 50
Thanked: 23 Times
Default Re: Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by patron View Post
Thanks. I was going to get the unit from Snapdeal and mentioned the same to the dealer and was told that warranty will be void if done outside the dealership. But the camera is to be procured separately and I was surprised to hear about the relay hence the question. I rechecked again and was told without the relay the steering controls will not work.

Here is the breakup:

1. Relay: +9000
2. Camera: +3000
3. HU: +49990
4. Buyback: -4000
Total: 57990

Rounded to 55000
Looks like you have been to Vinayak, Sadashiv Nagar . This is the exact deal I got and was told the same when I mentioned about the snapdeal. Relay is actually required if you want the steering mount controls.

I got all these installed on the day of the delivery and the steering controls did not work well(Ultra slow response). I was then told a guy would call me and bring another one and will fix it at my place. To my suprise the guy who came was from Blaupunkt itself, brought a new one and replaced it and when he did, the wires were spliced and taped. Yet the warranty was not void because the job was done of the words of the dealer.

I have heard in Tafe access,Hosur road they void the warranty immediately once they noticed the blaupunkt installed in them. There is a big difference between the dealers itself and now makes me think that I cannot leave the car for service anywhere else except from the one I bought it. Do share some insight on this if you have more information.
lakshman1067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2015, 18:10   #2063
BHPian
 
rki2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 655
Thanked: 133 Times
Default Re: Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pferdestarke View Post
Mine is a 1.6L TDI and I never felt such torpidity with my machine so far, even on awful acclivities. I have been driving my Rapid for more than 1 year and I'm thoroughly pleased with it's performance!



I couldn't discern this either! Either I'm inured to this issue or it ain't hard at all in my machine. But IIRC it ain't hard right from the beginning in my car.
1.6 is explosive when compared to 1.5 TDI. The same thing is confirmed by the Service Engineer of TAFE too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhjain View Post
Since I am using the same variant on DSG and having driven a good part on the hills I would suggest a check up at the nearest ASS. Though I never felt any sluggish nature of the engine but it opened up further after my last visit to ASS. Maybe an update of the map or basic cleaning of air filter should do the trick. All the best and do report back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by H_Dogg72 View Post
Definitely get it checked. The engine is quite powerful and should not feel strained or hell, laggy at all!
Best way for you would be to take a test drive of the rapid and then compare it to your car.
Yes I am doing this tomorrow. I have booked a test drive. I will compare and keep all informed

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakshman1067 View Post
There were few roads from Hosur to Krishnagiri were there are lots of up and downs during my trip to chennai.Since I was on cruise control with 5 on board, I couldnt find much difference in the lag. Also the car pulled without any struggle to maintain the speed to maintain the speed set over the hills.On the highways from Krishnagiri to vellore, the car felt planted over the roads and maintained 120km/hr without any strain or any downshift.It pulled effortlessly from 60 in the 5th.It did corner without any fuss with my 185 rubber as I was maintaining the right lane throught the journey. But at tight corners with 185 the steering feels really tight.Was considering changing to 195/65 or 205/55 but didnt want to take risk of loosing warranty.

Kindly do PM if you wish to have a check and compare with my car.It would also give me an idea of what to look for.
I have sent you the PM. Thanks for the invite.

Tyres upgrade - I have upgraded to 195/60/R15- Michellin P3ST. As per the TAFE Sales person upsizing to the specification of mine will not affect the warranty. However upsizing to 16" or very wide types like 205 may have more pressure on the suspension and will void the warranty.

Please note that the warranty for suspension is only for 10000 kms as reported by a fellow member. I am yet to get this confirmed.

A.S.S experience and troubleshooting - I took the car to the service center yesterday and got it checked. The Sales Engineer states that there is no problem with the car after having put the car on the diagnostic tool and checking the ECU. However I was right in finding out the problem of accelerator pedal hardness. The reason for the hardness is the carpet which was getting stuck and causing hindrance in the accelerator pedal free movement. Now it seems to be bit smooth. I can confirm it better may be after a couple of days driving around.

In terms of lag that I was facing, I do not have an answer yet until I take the car for an highway trip again. There is no problem with the technicals as reported by the A.S.S Engineer. I can confirm it soon after my next highway trip during those extra pressure over taking situations.

As usual the low quality fuel stories were told to me. I was advised by the Service Engineer to fill the premium diesel or shell diesel (preferred) and observe the engine performance and then report. I will check with Shell diesel next time and keep all updated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakshman1067 View Post


I have heard in Tafe access,Hosur road they void the warranty immediately once they noticed the blaupunkt installed in them. There is a big difference between the dealers itself and now makes me think that I cannot leave the car for service anywhere else except from the one I bought it. Do share some insight on this if you have more information.
Yes. this is very true with TAFE guys. They are prone to void the warranty more likely than Vinayak Skoda. I was interested in getting a reverse camera fitted to my car with TAFE itself. But the TAFE Sales Guy said me that Skoda has not approved this fitment and if the camera is found fitted, the warranty will be void. I did not buy this argument and reverted saying that I have seen some many Rapid Owners have fitted the rear parking camera with Vinayak and after market. For this the Sales Guy reverted saying that the electrical warranty of the car is void in these cases.

Don't know how far this is true.

Last edited by rki2007 : 18th February 2015 at 18:24.
rki2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2015, 00:01   #2064
BHPian
 
patron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 177
Thanked: 88 Times
Default Re: Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review

Took delivery of my TDI CR AT Elegance plus. Some pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review-img_20150218_192023.jpg  

Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review-img_20150218_192039.jpg  

Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review-img_20150218_192124.jpg  

Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review-img_20150218_192111.jpg  

Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review-img_20150218_192054.jpg  

Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review-img_20150218_192018.jpg  

patron is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2015, 07:32   #2065
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 90
Thanked: 34 Times
Default Re: Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review

@patron :
Congratulations on your new car and welcome to the Rapid Club
Do put up your ownership experience after driving around with the beauty!!
Happy mile crunching and Drive safe..
Funny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2015, 09:01   #2066
BHPian
 
rki2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 655
Thanked: 133 Times
Default

@patron. Congratulations on your new car.

Wish you happy and safe miles ahead. Do post the initial ownership review after spending time with the machine.

My car has completed 1000 kms and its almost a month now. I am checking out for engine oil change as per the initial run in advice thread on the forum. But the TAFE service engineer states that oil change will be required only during the first service at 15k kms.

Just wanted to know what did other Rapid owners did for this.

If at all an oil change should be done, then which oil is recommended for Rapid diesel. Is it synthetic or mineral oil and what is the viscosity?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by rki2007 : 20th February 2015 at 09:10.
rki2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2015, 09:29   #2067
Team-BHP Support
 
Gannu_1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Madras
Posts: 4,346
Thanked: 8,033 Times
Default Re: Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakshman1067 View Post
Relay is actually required if you want the steering mount controls.
Do you have any details of this relay? Please post a snap if you've clicked one. I am curious to see what this relay is. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007 View Post
If at all an oil change should be done, then which oil is recommended for Rapid diesel. Is it synthetic or mineral oil and what is the viscosity?
Fully synthetic, SAE 5W-40. Oil changes are mandated during every 15k km/1 year (whichever comes early) intervals. Do carry a 1L bottle of engine oil in your boot.

Also have a look at this thread (Skoda / VW Group Engine Oils).
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2015, 22:54   #2068
BHPian
 
lakshman1067's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 50
Thanked: 23 Times
Default Re: Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by patron View Post
Took delivery of my TDI CR AT Elegance plus. Some pictures.
Congratulations Patron on your new ride. May it serve its purpose and have good time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Do you have any details of this relay? Please post a snap if you've clicked one. I am curious to see what this relay is. Thanks!
Unfortunately I did not take a picture of it.My sincere apologies.
lakshman1067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2015, 11:48   #2069
BANNED
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 613
Thanked: 472 Times
Default Re: Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review

One of my colleagues owns a Rapid 1.6 diesel top end. I recently noticed that he starts his car in 2nd gear. He doesn't says this is how it should be in more powerful cars. I highly doubt this, though more torque at lower revs means it is quiet comfortable to do so. So, is that how it really should be?
itsashishsharma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2015, 12:51   #2070
BHPian
 
manas27587's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 141
Thanked: 55 Times
Default Re: Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review

If it is bumper to bumper traffic I too use the car on 2nd gear unless it is very steep slope.

I have been using the car for the last 3 years and it hasn't caused any problems for me.

Also one has to be very careful when accelerating in the first gear as once you let go of the accelerator the car gives a heavy jerk unless you are using a half clutch.
manas27587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Skoda Rapid (MPI Elegance MT): Test-drives & Initial Ownership Report smydtt Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 32 29th September 2016 19:09
Skoda Laura vRS : Test Drive & Review Rehaan Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 177 1st January 2014 23:40
A red hot rapid install in a red hot (Skoda) Rapid Samridh In-Car Entertainment 28 18th August 2013 00:49


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 07:57.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks