Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 6th December 2015, 21:40   #2311
BHPian

Default Re: Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
On point 1 and 2. In general, since on general a Skodas resale value will be low, I don't think you will gain/lose much if you plan to keep the car for a few years. The discount you get now will outweigh any benefit in resale value in my opinion. Also since it is a slow moving car, you may need to wait till Feb or March to be assured of a Jan make car.

The resale value stuff goes on the manufacturer year, but you can always get the registration done in Jan ( you can drive for 1 month on temp regn) so that you can call it a Jan registered car. May be of some help. But not sure if it is worth the hassle.

One last point is that, considering Bangalore traffic and the way it is headed, an automatic is the way to go. It may be worthwhile to see if you can stretch to the Vento Tsi. It will be a boon in our traffic.

Alternatively did you check the Rapid AT. Not a dsg, but a competent one. Assume you will get the same offers.

Edit: There was an ad in the paper a few days back with offers and new features - Buy in 2015 and pay in 2017 offer and below features.

Automatic Rain Sensing Wipers
Auto Dimming Inside Mirror
Electrically foldable mirrors

Assume this is part of the Style Plus variant you mentioned. And you are getting the offer ( if you are taking a loan)
Thanks Rajeevraj for your suggestions.

Agree with you that the resale value might suffer for 20-25K but the discount they are offering now clearly outweighs it.
Also, I think I will go down the path of getting a temporary registration for this month and get the permanent done in 2016.

I never liked automatic cars (unless it's the DSG), but will test it for sure. The thing is that the gearbox in the petrol car is so slick that I wouldn't mind the frequent shifts in traffic.

And yes, Style Plus comes with all the bells and whistles you mentioned like auto-dimming mirror and rain sensing wipers (something which is not even available in Vento).

One last thing wanted your opinion on, how is the difference in ASS of VW vs Skoda? I know they both fare below average, but is VW better than Skoda, and by how much?

Thanks!
dhruvhersh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2015, 12:15   #2312
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhruvhersh View Post
Thanks Rajeevraj for your suggestions.

One last thing wanted your opinion on, how is the difference in ASS of VW vs Skoda? I know they both fare below average, but is VW better than Skoda, and by how much?

Thanks!
Skoda owners can comment more. In general from what I have read here, Vinayak Skoda has been pretty ok for most.

My VW experience has been fine. Purchase was from palace cross, One check up and service from VW Whitefield and one from VW Palace Cross. Nothing to complain about. Pretty much in line with what I experienced at Pratham Motors for my earlier Marutis.

From what I have read here, VW and Skoda issues pop up when it is related to non regular maintenance/repairs/replacements.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2015, 15:55   #2313
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhruvhersh View Post

Thanks!
The general perception is that VW Service is better than Skoda. I have a Rapid and my father has a Vento, so I have some experience with both. The service is poor at best if you have any specific issues to be addressed. For example from my Skoda experience:

1. Steering angle incorrect - Never been fixed
2. Door squeaks - Vinayak Skoda pasted some gauze like tape over my car's door sills without taking my permission. They are fraying, and the doors still squeak. The Skoda ASC in Pune said the issue can be reduced by 90% by proper setting of the doors, but Vinayak Skoda hasn't tried that despite suggestions
3. Noisy suspension - They "re-torqued" the suspension, with absolutely no benefits, and the noise only became better when a advisor that we knew previously from Tata moved to Skoda, and recognised us. He took care of the car, but since that was just a complaint the other items weren't addressed.

My dad hasn't had anything negative to report about VW during the first service, however they are as bad when it comes to specific complaints.
VeluM is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2015, 18:32   #2314
BHPian

offer from Skoda - 5 inch Garmin GPS device with Reverse parking. 35 % discount.. got this sms from Skoda.

I didnt check on the price etc. given that i have Ambition model which doesnt have integrated System or reverse sensors, may not be a bad deal.
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review-rapidoffer.png  

Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review-rapidoffer.jpg  

Last edited by ShaileshHinge : 8th December 2015 at 18:35.
ShaileshHinge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2015, 15:38   #2315
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaileshHinge View Post
offer from Skoda - 5 inch Garmin GPS device with Reverse parking. 35 % discount.. got this sms from Skoda.

I didnt check on the price etc. given that i have Ambition model which doesnt have integrated System or reverse sensors, may not be a bad deal.
This sounds like a good deal, especially since it will be provided and installed by the Skoda dealership. I got mine for 10k as I this was part of some package with the Ambition when I bought my Elegance.

The maps are ok to navigate from town to town or city to city, but not necessarily within the city as it is not updated frequently. Get an SD card to increase memory because downloading all the maps takes up a lot of space and the device itself doesn't have too much.

The reverse camera is very useful, shows a clear colour image in the day and a BnW image at night. The advantage with the Rapid is that there are two reverse lights and are quite powerful.

I have found this to be very useful in my two years of ownership despite not having reverse parking sensors. It is in many cases more useful than the sensors because one can see exactly what is behind, and the system doesn't go berserk beeping when there is a foot remaining. Helps when reversing towards a wall, etc.

The negatives are that when surrounded by metal (car parking in Malls, for eg) the wireless transmission from the reverse camera stutters. The image switches between snow (imagine old CRT TV without a signal) and the actual image, sometimes unexpectedly. This is a known issue even from when I bought the car, and they don't have a solution as far as I know. Also the reverse camera doesn't work if the display is not connected to the power source, so it is permanently connected to the lighter socket in my car, with the wire trailing down across the centre console.

OT: My Rapid is now quite outdated esp with the additional features of the Style Plus variant. I now wish I had bought now rather than then

OT2: Does anyone know if the wireless camera can be connected to the Dynavin head unit or any other? I'd like to plan for that when upgrading the head unit at some point.

Last edited by VeluM : 9th December 2015 at 15:42. Reason: OT
VeluM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2015, 08:34   #2316
BHPian

Hello All,

I have faced a problem yesterday with my 2012 Rapid MPI.

Yesterday morning, I started the car for 2 minutes (just to turn wheels) and it was normal.

In the evening, I cranked the car but engine did not fire at first go. I cranked it again but still nothing. The fuel tank is 1/2. Battery is good. No wires or cables snapped / chewed, no connectors found loose.

I assume that the problem must be with fuel delivery or spark plugs.

I guess I need to request Skoda A S S to send a technician but I am not confident if they would do it. They will certainly ask me to get the car on a flat bed to their workshop, given their past service experience (first hand as well as heard from others).

Request you experts to advice on how to go about it. Any option other than Skoda A S S?

Thank you.

Last edited by ampere : 14th December 2015 at 09:02. Reason: Removed dotted parts
JitendraK78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2015, 12:44   #2317
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JitendraK78 View Post
Hello All,
I assume that the problem must be with fuel delivery or spark plugs.
Has your battery been replaced since the purchase ? if not then its the battery for sure. The battery will feel ok as the horn etc will work but it wont be able to take the needed load for cranking the car. Battery's now a days die off in 3 or less years. especially the dry cell battery's just about manage to live for 3 years.

Suggest you call the exide/ amaron emergency service and they will come with a spare battery and help you jumpstart. if the car starts then its the battery else this may be something else.
Old 14th December 2015, 15:42   #2318
BHPian

Quote:
Has your battery been replaced since the purchase ? if not then its the battery for sure. The battery will feel ok as the horn etc will work but it wont be able to take the needed load for cranking the car. Battery's now a days die off in 3 or less years. especially the dry cell battery's just about manage to live for 3 years.

Suggest you call the exide/ amaron emergency service and they will come with a spare battery and help you jumpstart. if the car starts then its the battery else this may be something else.

Hello ShaileshHinge,

The battery has been changed in Oct 2014. The indicator on the battery shows its condition as 'Healthy'.

I have got appointment from Viiraaj Skoda for Wednesday. I need to take the car on flat bed to them. I hope they will find solution in reasonable time and cost.
Old 14th December 2015, 15:46   #2319
BHPian

I have started encountering a problem since the last 2 days.

The car boot refuses to open with the remote release from the key as well as the button on the door.
The only way to open it is with the key.

Also when I insert the key in the ignition all the lights on the dashboard light up and keep blinking until the car is switched on.
This is without turning the key in the ignition.

Had been to the service centre but he wants me to keep the car.
The car runs fine without issues.

Any inputs to check anything before I hand over my car?
manas27587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2015, 19:09   #2320
BHPian

Quote:
Hello ShaileshHinge,
I have got appointment from Viiraaj Skoda for Wednesday. I need to take the car on flat bed to them. I hope they will find solution in reasonable time and cost.
Did they find the root cause ?
Old 17th December 2015, 02:29   #2321
BHPian

Hi All,

My Rapid is now 3 year old with 34K on the ODO, once I crank the car and it starts up, I see ABS and the break fluid level/brake system light glow for 2 sec and disappear.
When discussed with Mahavir Skoda service center Hyderabad, got a reply that this is due to the weak battery as it is 3 years old.
Can anyone please suggest me if this is the right reason for the warning lights to glow for few seconds after starting up the engine.
sree5999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2015, 08:30   #2322
BHPian

Quote:
Did they find the root cause ?
Yesterday I took the car to the service center on a flat bed. After unloading the car, when the SA was making a job card, he cranked the car once and surprisingly the engine fired. There were considerable vibrations in the beginning.

So, they scanned the faults but did not find any fault.

They drove the car for almost 50 km with stopping in between, but could not reproduce the fault.

Then again they did online scan and updated the software.

They also extracted some petrol from tank thro' fuel rail and checked if it has some water content in it. But did not find any.

I got the car back in afternoon. The engineer (Asst.Manager) who was in-charge of my car has suggested that I should use Shell petrol ONLY. He also said during discussion that he has observed many cases of Fabia having some issued due to petrol filled in some remote petrol stations which may have some water content and contamination.

I hope the issued does not crop up at some remote location / distant from a city with Skoda service.

When I was at the service center, I saw an advertisement for 'Skoda Assure'. The SA said that I can purchase it now also and costs about INR 3750/- for two years. For cars more than 5 years old, it costs about INR 4500/- for two years. Please suggest if it would be worth to get this.
Old 17th December 2015, 09:45   #2323
BHPian

Quote:

When I was at the service center, I saw an advertisement for 'Skoda Assure'. The SA said that I can purchase it now also and costs about INR 3750/- for two years. For cars more than 5 years old, it costs about INR 4500/- for two years. Please suggest if it would be worth to get this.
Dear JitenraK78,

In spite of any 'Assure' word in any title, the quality of service is depending on many factors.

I would suggest that you go ahead and take the 4500 plunge. In worst case scenario - think of it as a write-off!

I mean - if you take a life insurance, you do not plan to 'vasul' it by dying!

Take care,
Drive safely.

Girish Mahajan
GKMahajan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2015, 11:26   #2324
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sree5999 View Post
Hi All,

My Rapid is now 3 year old with 34K on the ODO, once I crank the car and it starts up, I see ABS and the break fluid level/brake system light glow for 2 sec and disappear.
When discussed with Mahavir Skoda service center Hyderabad, got a reply that this is due to the weak battery as it is 3 years old.
Can anyone please suggest me if this is the right reason for the warning lights to glow for few seconds after starting up the engine.
I hit this same issue couple of months back. Yes, a weak battery causes:
- warning lights blinking when starting
- erratic idle

A new battery fixed them.
nma83 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2015, 12:07   #2325
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nma83 View Post
I hit this same issue couple of months back. Yes, a weak battery causes:
- warning lights blinking when starting
- erratic idle

A new battery fixed them.
Thanks for the reply mate. Time to prepare for the battery replacement.
sree5999 is offline   Reply With Quote