Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 29th November 2011, 11:15   #241
Team-BHP Support
 
Vid6639's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 10,638
Thanked: 8,256 Times
Default Re: Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumarsiddhi View Post
First thing i checked was the ICE and it was disappointing to say the least. My standards or demands are not very high and i find my current stock ICE in Fiesta 1.6S as benchmark. When i compare the stock ICE in Rapid it is far poor. One reason is the speakers themselves are sub standard and my guess is that they are the round speakers not even a decent 6X9 but am not sure if replacing the speakers will solve the problem. I demanded the SA about what could be a solution to this and first he said we can replace the speakers and then later once we were back to the showroom and he consulted the specialists the feedback was that one needs to replace the HU and speakers both for a better quality sound (so they accepted that the stock ICE is indeed sub standard). Also there is no trade-in meaning i need to pay full money for a new ICE and throw away the current system. What i forgot to ask was how and where will they fit the new speakers considering they'll have to be 6X9 as the current speakers are on the doors and it could be a limitation as probably the doors can only accommodate round speakers and not Oval.

Can more knowlegable people throw light on the capability of the stock HU in Rapid as if it's not capable enough then upgrading speakers will not help. What are the options? Just to add a bit more, on the stock ICE i felt the bass range was very good (the speakers were falling short of the need though) however the treble range was very short and did not give good sound quality. Obviously as the volume went up the speakers gave way.

If some ICE expert / audiophile checks out the Rapid, request to put up an evaluation and suggestions on what could be done to improve it.
For me number one would be driving feel and not ICE. I would never consider the ICE as a deal breaker. No point in having good ICE in a car that doesn't drive well.

Ford is the only manufacturer that uses 5X7 oval speakers on doors as a result the audio has a bit more bass. It's not a great sounding unit but you feel it's better because of the extra thump.

In the Rapid you have a standard 4 door speaker arrangement. Sedan's usually have speakers on the rear parcel shelf like 6X9 ovals. These give good bass. This is not the case in Rapid and Vento.

I definitely think there is no need to change the HU if you are looking for slightly better sound. Unless you want to add an amp and subwoofer the HU shouldn't need to be changed. A set of better speakers like components on the front doors and round coaxials on the rear doors should improve sound.

There may not be any buy back option but it will be fairly easy to sell the Skoda original unit online or ask the dealer if someone wants a HU on the ambition variant. A buyer for the Ambition variant may be interested in buying the one from elegance if at all you want to change it.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 29th November 2011, 11:29   #242
Team-BHP Support
 
Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: B'lore-Manipal
Posts: 17,271
Thanked: 5,281 Times
Default Re: Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxpaul View Post
Hi Turbo. You rapidly got a Rapid on 22nd Nov, but what happened to the driving impressions....and what about some photos. We rapidly need this
He has his own thread now... https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...delivered.html
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2011, 11:43   #243
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Singapore
Posts: 54
Thanked: 10 Times
Default Re: Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumarsiddhi View Post
Finally got the chance to check out the Rapid yesterday at TAFE on Hosur road, Bangalore. I will not go into the general feedback that has been covered here already, but something more specific to what i felt during the test drive and will seek opinions from other members on this forum.
=========================
If some ICE expert / audiophile checks out the Rapid, request to put up an evaluation and suggestions on what could be done to improve it.
I am by no means an ICE expert but if you are looking at Fiesta Stock ICE kinda performance, a speaker upgrade with a good amp will definitely sound better. I am waiting for my Ambition to be delivered but I have already bought the ICE. My setup is as follows. Infinity Reference 6032cf - Rear, Infinity 609CS - Front, Infinity Reference 475a Amplifier.
ajitmoses is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2011, 12:55   #244
BHPian
 
LL4X4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Hyderabad/Gurgaon
Posts: 31
Thanked: Once
Default Re: Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review

All,

After much going around and couple of cancelled bookings :-) i have decided to go with -RED Rapid Ambition MPI (Elegance is ideal, but out of Budget).

The question for all gurus here is comparing petrol to petrol and given all the A.S.S
would this be better over Sunny.
LL4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2011, 13:06   #245
Senior - BHPian
 
ajay_satpute's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,312
Thanked: 619 Times
Default Re: Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by LL4X4 View Post
All,

After much going around and couple of cancelled bookings :-) i have decided to go with -RED Rapid Ambition MPI (Elegance is ideal, but out of Budget).

The question for all gurus here is comparing petrol to petrol and given all the A.S.S
would this be better over Sunny.
Sunny is only better than Rapid in 2 aspects:
1) Price: I think the top-end XV variant is cheaper than the Elegance of Rapid.
2) Space: The space inside the Sunny is simply unbeatable.

But for all other reasons, I would pick up the Rapid. A.S.S., both are not legends. However, I have read a few amazing stories of Nissan support recently on this forum. Regarding Skoda, it all depends on what dealer you get and I feel it is not that horror as it used to be. Honestly, I won't make/break a deal based only on A.S.S. Follow your heart.
ajay_satpute is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2011, 13:58   #246
BHPian
 
ethanhunt123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 650
Thanked: 94 Times
Default Re: Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review

As a start, you can add an amp and components in front. Then add 6x9's or preferably a sub in the boot. This alone should take up the SQ by a lot, even then if you feel the need you can always put in a new HU.
ethanhunt123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2011, 15:00   #247
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 87
Thanked: 27 Times
Default Re: Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
For me number one would be driving feel and not ICE. I would never consider the ICE as a deal breaker. No point in having good ICE in a car that doesn't drive well.

Ford is the only manufacturer that uses 5X7 oval speakers on doors as a result the audio has a bit more bass. It's not a great sounding unit but you feel it's better because of the extra thump.

In the Rapid you have a standard 4 door speaker arrangement. Sedan's usually have speakers on the rear parcel shelf like 6X9 ovals. These give good bass. This is not the case in Rapid and Vento.

I definitely think there is no need to change the HU if you are looking for slightly better sound. Unless you want to add an amp and subwoofer the HU shouldn't need to be changed. A set of better speakers like components on the front doors and round coaxials on the rear doors should improve sound.

There may not be any buy back option but it will be fairly easy to sell the Skoda original unit online or ask the dealer if someone wants a HU on the ambition variant. A buyer for the Ambition variant may be interested in buying the one from elegance if at all you want to change it.
In my Fiesta the speakers are not on the door but on the panel behind the rear seat and probably that's the reason for accommodating better speakers. I have sat in many sedans and i think Fiesta's ICE is best in the entire C segment category.

Did you try the ICE in Rapid? because where i'm not sure and need your help is wether the system is capable or not? Also do you think if i leave the current speakers and add two more 6X9 and tweeters would improve the sound quality
kumarsiddhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2011, 15:07   #248
Team-BHP Support
 
Vid6639's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 10,638
Thanked: 8,256 Times
Default Re: Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumarsiddhi View Post
In my Fiesta the speakers are not on the door but on the panel behind the rear seat and probably that's the reason for accommodating better speakers. I have sat in many sedans and i think Fiesta's ICE is best in the entire C segment category.

Did you try the ICE in Rapid? because where i'm not sure and need your help is wether the system is capable or not? Also do you think if i leave the current speakers and add two more 6X9 and tweeters would improve the sound quality
In the Fiesta the front speakers are on the door i.e. 5"X7" ovals and the rear has it on the parcel tray. Usually the front doors are 6" round speakers. Only Ford uses oval speakers for the doors as well.

In the Rapid all 4 doors have round speakers probably 6". If you add a 2 more 6X9's on the rear tray, it will be overkill and your entire sound stage will move the rear. You can only upgrade the speakers up front and probably disconnect the rear door speakers and keep them as dummy. Then add rear 6X9's on the rear tray. But this will involve cutting metal to fit the oval speakers.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2011, 15:19   #249
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 87
Thanked: 27 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
In the Fiesta the front speakers are on the door i.e. 5"X7" ovals and the rear has it on the parcel tray. Usually the front doors are 6" round speakers. Only Ford uses oval speakers for the doors as well.

In the Rapid all 4 doors have round speakers probably 6". If you add a 2 more 6X9's on the rear tray, it will be overkill and your entire sound stage will move the rear. You can only upgrade the speakers up front and probably disconnect the rear door speakers and keep them as dummy. Then add rear 6X9's on the rear tray. But this will involve cutting metal to fit the oval speakers.
Thanks Vid, didn't know that about the Fiesta as well. Is cutting metal to install the speakers in Rapid a problem? i mean in terms of rattling or any other issue. I generally never tamper with the factory output state of the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajitmoses View Post
I am by no means an ICE expert but if you are looking at Fiesta Stock ICE kinda performance, a speaker upgrade with a good amp will definitely sound better. I am waiting for my Ambition to be delivered but I have already bought the ICE. My setup is as follows. Infinity Reference 6032cf - Rear, Infinity 609CS - Front, Infinity Reference 475a Amplifier.
And how much does it cost? which city are you in now? If Bangalore then i'd like to catch up with you once you have things installed in your car

Last edited by Vid6639 : 29th November 2011 at 15:24. Reason: merging posts. Kindly use the edit option if posting within 30mins.
kumarsiddhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2011, 19:17   #250
BHPian
 
ethanhunt123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 650
Thanked: 94 Times
Default Re: Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Can you share the basic points as to Why please?
1. For same mechanicals - its cheaper

2. IMHO better looking (subjective)

3. Don't have to deal with the arrogant fools at VW Bangalore dealerships

4. Quieter engine

But then this is me, both Vento/Rapid are fantastic packages.
ethanhunt123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2011, 23:17   #251
BHPian
 
nishanth.shegde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 25
Thanked: 5 Times
Default Re: Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review

I took a test drive of Rapid TDI Ambition last Sunday. Tafe Access in Bangalore seems to have kept the Ambition variant for test drive instead of the top end Elegance. The Elegance is for display only. The following is what I noticed:

1. The knobs for manual side mirror adjustments are very thin and look as though they will break / come out with one push. My Swift had a better looking and sturdy adjuster.

2. The steering feels extremely lifeless and scary with 175 profile tyres on Ambition. Rapid definitely needs 185 profile tyres at least.

3. The MID in Ambition displays Time, Temperature and Kms traveled only. Also, these are not aligned properly one below the other.

4. The wheel caps aren't of great quality and look very ordinary. Surprisingly the skoda logo in the center is not a coloured one but of the same colour as rest of the wheel cap.

Overall, a good car I should say. Booked a Black one. Also, the booking amount paid was 25K only. The sales guy asked for 50K but when I pushed for 25K, he agreed.
nishanth.shegde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2011, 09:52   #252
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 87
Thanked: 27 Times
Default Re: Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishanth.shegde View Post
I took a test drive of Rapid TDI Ambition last Sunday. Tafe Access in Bangalore seems to have kept the Ambition variant for test drive instead of the top end Elegance. The Elegance is for display only. Overall, a good car I should say. Booked a Black one. Also, the booking amount paid was 25K only. The sales guy asked for 50K but when I pushed for 25K, he agreed.
I also took the TD at TAFE but on Hosur road and they had Elegance for TD.

Also booking is available with Rs5,000 only. Even online booking is available (also with 5,000)
kumarsiddhi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2011, 12:24   #253
BHPian
 
LL4X4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Hyderabad/Gurgaon
Posts: 31
Thanked: Once
Talking Re: Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by LL4X4 View Post
All,

After much going around and couple of cancelled bookings :-) i have decided to go with -RED Rapid Ambition MPI (Elegance is ideal, but out of Budget).
.

All, My booking and loan process has already started the dealer has agreed to deliver the car tomorrow (1 Dec) time to go thru the PDI check list any pointer welcome.

Also I would prefer to change the tires to Michelin any recommendations and suggestions
LL4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2011, 12:43   #254
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: --
Posts: 3,763
Thanked: 2,229 Times
Default Re: Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by LL4X4 View Post
All, My booking and loan process has already started the dealer has agreed to deliver the car tomorrow (1 Dec)
Congrats on your booking and would await your ownership review.

Amazing to see so may bookings done by BHP-ians, curious now to see how they stack up in the Dec sales figures!

Cheers!

Last edited by Vid6639 : 30th November 2011 at 16:29. Reason: fixing the quote.
volkman10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2011, 15:58   #255
BHPian
 
nishanth.shegde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 25
Thanked: 5 Times
Default Re: Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by LL4X4 View Post
All, My booking and loan process has already started the dealer has agreed to deliver the car tomorrow (1 Dec) time to go thru the PDI check list any pointer welcome.

Also I would prefer to change the tires to Michelin any recommendations and suggestions


Even I am planning to upgrade the tyres to 185 profile. Still doing research on the which brand to go for. Bridgestone is ruled out as none of the bridgestone tryes come in profile which the Elegance variant has. Only choice would be between Yokohama and Michelin. Please let me know if you find out something about these.
nishanth.shegde is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Toyota Fortuner 4x2 (MT & Automatic) : Test Drive & Review GTO Official New Car Reviews 637 13th July 2014 07:31
Skoda Rapid (MPI Elegance MT): Test-drives & Initial Ownership Report smydtt Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 20 24th May 2014 22:44
Skoda Laura vRS : Test Drive & Review Rehaan Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 177 1st January 2014 23:40
Skoda Fabia Diesel : First impression & brief test drive speedzak Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 248 24th September 2012 09:42


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 14:06.

Copyright 2000 - 2014, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks