Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2012, 15:28   #766
BHPian
 
hrman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 837
Thanked: 255 Times
Default Re: Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Rapid pips the Scala as better the mid-size saloon - http://www.autocarindia.com/Feature/...ult-scala.aspx
Not surprising, considering Rapid was preferred over Sunny in a similar comparo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
My first free checkup { 6 months / 7500kms} is scheduled this saturday. Actually, I have covered less than 7k kms, but it has been nearly 10 months since I bought my car. I have requested Vinayak Bangalore to get this done, but i will have to visit the service center to find out if they will do this free check up in spite of the time lapse.


1) Off late, I'm hearing a weird rubber beading noise in the car while going over small bumps. I'm not sure how to explain this. Whenever the car goes over some bumps I can hear some noise from the doors, as if the rubber beading on the doors are pressing over on the car's body. If you press the car's rubber beading from outside when its closed, you will understand what I'm talking about.
2) I had gone over some speed breakers couple of times without slowing down, obviously due to the poor lights in Bangalore's roads. Wondering if this might have damaged the engine guard or the under body.
.
In the general free checkup, they will only check the fluid levels and some cursory checkups. Nothing detailed. If you have any complaint, they will address that.
Did you have sunfilm which you removed off? Rubber beading noise could be due to removal of sunfilm and the residual glue. You can ask them to do some lubrication to reduce the squeaking noise.
hrman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2012, 16:42   #767
BHPian
 
motorworks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 508
Thanked: 181 Times
Default Re: Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
Not surprising, considering Rapid was preferred over Sunny in a similar comparo.



In the general free checkup, they will only check the fluid levels and some cursory checkups. Nothing detailed. If you have any complaint, they will address that.
Did you have sunfilm which you removed off? Rubber beading noise could be due to removal of sunfilm and the residual glue. You can ask them to do some lubrication to reduce the squeaking noise.
Nope, I have not removed my sunfilms at all. Surprised by this noise, which is become prominent these days.
motorworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2012, 05:15   #768
BHPian
 
500ContyCruiser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: KA25
Posts: 501
Thanked: 319 Times
Default Re: Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
1) Off late, I'm hearing a weird rubber beading noise in the car while going over small bumps. I'm not sure how to explain this. Whenever the car goes over some bumps I can hear some noise from the doors, as if the rubber beading on the doors are pressing over on the car's body. If you press the car's rubber beading from outside when its closed, you will understand what I'm talking about.
Off late even I am hearing some rattling sound (very minimal) on the front passenger door. Thanks to Bangalore's infamous roads Also worried about suspension.

Today had been to Ananthpur for a long drive and was doing 80-100 kmph; happy with the mileage shown

It was almost consistent through-out, till I reach Airport road.
Attached Images
 
500ContyCruiser is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2012, 00:28   #769
BHPian
 
rajni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 125
Thanked: 41 Times
Exclamation Re: Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
HI, Were you able to take an appointment with Vinayak and did the issue get resolved?
Last week I just got my five tyre rotation, wheel balancing and alignment done at Madhus, Langford Road. This was after completing 6 months and 6800 kms. I informed them about the steering wheel being tilted towards the right side.
They corrected it at the front wheels itself, as he said its not possible to do it at the steering wheel with airbags.
I felt a visible change after this. My steering is straight (I feel a very minute play in the steering, could be my imagination). But the steering has become silky smooth now. Also reduced my tyre pressure to F:32 and R:30 from the earlier 34 all around. Am enjoying this even more.
I am sorry. I couldn't follow up the threads for a while. Yes - I got it fixed. Not at the dealer. But, at the same place you just mentioned - Madhu's. So, the wheel rotation I did after the tyre swap was the culprit. They swapped the front tyres with back and it became better immediately. Now, after another 500km, it is pretty smooth.


Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
I wanted feedback from fellow Rapid / vento owners as to what are the main points that I should look out for during this free check up. I had a few concerns which I thought I will check on:-
I don't know if it is a common issue or I am the only one experiencing it. I had been noticing some visible missing during cold engine start in the morning. It gets better after a while once the engine is heated. But, until then it doesn't respond well to the accelerator. There's a steep climbing to come out of my apartment's parking and this is where it started showing up first. I started ensuring that I do the 1min idling before stopping the engine and at cold startup. But, it didn't help much. Once, I stopped and reignited the engine coincidentally when it was occurring and noted that the problem was gone. I checked about this strange behavior with a friend who knows some mechanical engineering. Per him, the glow fuse can be the culprit. Not sure if it is a known problem. I am planning to visit the dealer shortly. May be you can also check for the same. Anyone else facing the same problem please acknowledge.
rajni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2012, 08:46   #770
BHPian
 
rajni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 125
Thanked: 41 Times
Exclamation Re: Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by 500ContyCruiser View Post
Off late even I am hearing some rattling sound (very minimal) on the front passenger door. Thanks to Bangalore's infamous roads Also worried about suspension.

Today had been to Ananthpur for a long drive and was doing 80-100 kmph; happy with the mileage shown

It was almost consistent through-out, till I reach Airport road.
I recollect observing the similar mileage 21-22kpl on my way back to Bangalore from ShivanaGanga. The car was within the first 1000km at that time and I was driving very careful within 80-100km max. I still get 17.8 on long drives - like from Bangalore to my hometown in Kerala (~600km) even when I cruise at very high speeds through lonely highways in Tamilnadu. But, within the city limits it is down to ~12kpl. I guess the heavy body, frequent braking and quick revv'ing, all together are the culprits here.
rajni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2012, 10:23   #771
BHPian
 
hrman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 837
Thanked: 255 Times
Default Re: Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajni View Post
They swapped the front tyres with back and it became better immediately. Now, after another 500km, it is pretty smooth.


It gets better after a while once the engine is heated. But, until then it doesn't respond well to the accelerator. There's a steep climbing to come out of my apartment's parking and this is where it started showing up first.
Good to know your wheel alignment issue is sorted out.

Regarding your other problem, I have faced a similar thing. In my parking place, the front wheels are just behind a 4 inch tall hump. In the morning while starting, the car does not seem to have enough power to go over the hump without accelerator input. It has stalled on a couple of occasions. I just throttle it a bit and it becomes better after that. I've observed the tacho is around 500 to 600 during this time. Not sure if you have the same issue, but I've felt its a minor irritant which can wait till around the next due service.
hrman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2012, 14:46   #772
BHPian
 
rajni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 125
Thanked: 41 Times
Default Re: Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
Good to know your wheel alignment issue is sorted out.

Regarding your other problem, I have faced a similar thing. In my parking place, the front wheels are just behind a 4 inch tall hump. In the morning while starting, the car does not seem to have enough power to go over the hump without accelerator input. It has stalled on a couple of occasions. I just throttle it a bit and it becomes better after that. I've observed the tacho is around 500 to 600 during this time. Not sure if you have the same issue, but I've felt its a minor irritant which can wait till around the next due service.
Yes - I think we both are facing the same issue. Only thing is that I get a bit runway before entering the steep area and so able to make it by applying the accelerator a bit more than usual without stalling the engine. But, once it happened when I went to JLR, Bandipur where I had the car parked in a slope. The next day, when I went to take the car out there were cars in the front and back sides. I had to struggle a little to take car the out without any damage. So, a slight slope can sometimes be really annoying if this problem is not fixed. Having said that, I have been living with this problem so far with some extra throttle for the first few mins. However, since I have now reached 10K+ I am worried if there's a known issue and Skoda offers a free replacement whether it will be valid once I hit 11K. The people (Marikkar, Cochin) was not helpful when I mentioned about this issue at 7.5K pre checkup.

Last edited by rajni : 14th November 2012 at 14:47.
rajni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2012, 12:57   #773
BHPian
 
motorworks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 508
Thanked: 181 Times
Default Re: Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review

This whole first free check up at 7k kms is a sheer waste of time! I had been to Vinayak, Bangalore for this first free check up last week. I had made an appointment at 9:30 AM in the morning and reached the place by about 9:45. The initial response was good, the service engineer took me for a test drive and we discussed the issues that I had. There was some rattling noise in the front door, it was identified as a speaker issue. Other issue that I had was this rubber beading noise in the doors, but the service engineer kept saying that its from the seats, which were customized. Anyway, after this trial run, I made it clear that I would stay back and take the vehicle. I waited and waited, for about 2 hours the car was not even touched. Then I raised it with the service manager and finally they took it inside the service bay. The fluid levels were checked, coolant was topped up. They checked the car's underbody and sprayed some anti rust in certain parts. And that's it. Water wash is chargeable, and since I had to get back to office anyway I skipped the water wash and cleaning bit. I figured that I might as well get it done outside.
Vinayak's service center In KR puram Bangalore is very congested and the movement of vehicles inside the service station is a huge task!
They seemed courteous and all that, but the place seemed understaffed on the whole. Im not sure whether to go back to check on the rubber beading noise or whether to get it checked during my first service of 1 year which is due in about 5 months.
motorworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2012, 10:32   #774
BHPian
 
Safari_Beast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Faridabad
Posts: 280
Thanked: 193 Times
Default Re: Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review

Hello Bhpains

There was a video shoot going on for Skoda Rapid at vatika business park Sohna Road gurgaon . Here is the picture which i have taken from the shoot , car was registered under MH number . These were proffesional people who were doing the shoot .
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review-skoda-rapid.jpg  

Safari_Beast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2012, 13:14   #775
BHPian
 
sam_boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: OD10 -> KA-01
Posts: 219
Thanked: 140 Times
Default Re: Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajni View Post
Yes - I think we both are facing the same issue. Only thing is that I get a bit runway before entering the steep area and so able to make it by applying the accelerator a bit more than usual without stalling the engine.
Even I had this issue once. I do not have a longer runway as mine is the 1st parking slot and is located next to the ramp. From that day I make sure I start the engine and give it half a minute before engaging the gear and it is working so far. I ignored this issue as I thought the engine is not warmed up properly as it was early morning. Is this something which I should look into a little more seriously ?
sam_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2012, 14:22   #776
Senior - BHPian
 
dkaile's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Meerut, India
Posts: 2,721
Thanked: 3,240 Times
Default Re: Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_boy View Post
From that day I make sure I start the engine and give it half a minute before engaging the gear and it is working so far.
All turbo charged engines need to be warmed up for a minute on start-up especially during first start. Also try to idle for a minute before switching the engine off especially after a long run. This will keep your turbo charger in good health for a long time. This is absolute normal operation and no need for getting worried.
dkaile is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2012, 23:07   #777
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: India
Posts: 326
Thanked: 72 Times
Default Re: Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review

hi

Off late I have noticed that while braking there is some juddering sensation felt on the steering wheel. This is more prominent when braking at high speeds (90 and above). The braking has not been so hard that the ABS would have kicked in. Also in case of ABS kicking in, the vibrations would have been felt on the pedal. At low speeds however, its not felt.

I am not sure if it was there before too but somehow i feel it everytime now, may be because I have noticed it now.

Is this normal? my car has done 13.5k till date.
torque18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2012, 00:17   #778
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 68
Thanked: 5 Times
Default Re: Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by torque18 View Post
hi

Off late I have noticed that while braking there is some juddering sensation felt on the steering wheel. This is more prominent when braking at high speeds (90 and above). The braking has not been so hard that the ABS would have kicked in. Also in case of ABS kicking in, the vibrations would have been felt on the pedal. At low speeds however, its not felt.

I am not sure if it was there before too but somehow i feel it everytime now, may be because I have noticed it now.

Is this normal? my car has done 13.5k till date.
Hi, even I had the same issue. Take your car to service center. This problem is due to front disk brake. There is a advisory for this issue. In my case front disks got replaced in warranty. For claim warranty car should be done less then 10k kms and less then 6 months old.
Please go through thread for more details.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ds-brakes.html (Skoda's Advisory on the Rapid's brakes)

Last edited by kalpurja : 22nd November 2012 at 00:19.
kalpurja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2012, 00:33   #779
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: India
Posts: 326
Thanked: 72 Times
Default Re: Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpurja View Post
Hi, even I had the same issue. Take your car to service center. This problem is due to front disk brake. There is a advisory for this issue. In my case front disks got replaced in warranty. For claim warranty car should be done less then 10k kms and less then 6 months old.
Please go through thread for more details.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ds-brakes.html (Skoda's Advisory on the Rapid's brakes)
thanks! now i am scared..my car has done 13.5k kms and i started feeling it recently only! how do i go about it? according to the advisory issued, i m not entitled to the replacement anymore!
torque18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2012, 16:35   #780
Awaiting Email Confirmation
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 531
Thanked: 350 Times
Default Re: Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by torque18 View Post
thanks! now i am scared..my car has done 13.5k kms and i started feeling it recently only! how do i go about it? according to the advisory issued, i m not entitled to the replacement anymore!
Try dropping an email as if you do not have any information regarding this update from Skoda.

Try to convey that you have intimated the same to the dealer however there was no solution provided. This might turn out lucky sometimes. And there is nothing wrong in trying. Right?

Do the same with the service centre. Say that you have intimated them earlier and now it has got worse. Try your luck.
gemi_kk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Skoda Rapid (MPI Elegance MT): Test-drives & Initial Ownership Report smydtt Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 32 29th September 2016 19:09
Skoda Laura vRS : Test Drive & Review Rehaan Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 177 1st January 2014 23:40
A red hot rapid install in a red hot (Skoda) Rapid Samridh In-Car Entertainment 28 18th August 2013 00:49


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 19:52.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks