Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 6th February 2013, 12:04   #871
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 155
Thanked: 25 Times
Default Re: Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Its not the "thud" sound from the suspension when going over sharp potholes that i was talking about. With a full load of passengers, even at a crawl the bottom scrapes(somewhere near the back end of the car) over every little speak breaker.
Does your car has mud flaps - old type lengthy ones? If yes then try to remove this & test drive. When I took dly of my Rapid from Tafe Housur Rd, I was told that, that long mud flaps used to scrape the humps & they were arranging for shorter mud flaps. I drove my new car around 400kms in city & highway passing some small to very big humps (with 4 people) & didn't scrape even once, this is w/o mud flaps. Pls check.
ALSUDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2013, 12:33   #872
BHPian
 
hrman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 837
Thanked: 255 Times
Default Re: Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by reventon2010 View Post
Its not the "thud" sound from the suspension when going over sharp potholes that i was talking about. With a full load of passengers, even at a crawl the bottom scrapes(somewhere near the back end of the car) over every little speak breaker.

I can relate to what you have stated. The sound you are experiencing with a full load is the bottom of the boot/ spare wheel well scraping on the speed breaker. I have experienced this too, but on that particular occasion, the speedbreaker was unscientific, and car had a full load (4 passengers+full luggage). I've not experienced it ever since.

Are all speed breakers so badly designed in your location? If it is happening over every small speed breaker, the mud flaps may be the culprit, because the wheel well should not press so low to scrape them.
Anyway, do get it checked up. There was some good report of Vision Skoda service in Kerala (Thrissur and Calicut). You can check them for what its worth. Report posted by BHPian Rajni is available here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ce-so-far.html (Vision Skoda - the best Skoda experience so far)

Last edited by hrman : 6th February 2013 at 12:36.
hrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2013, 14:12   #873
Distinguished - BHPian
 
vb-san's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: S'pore/Thrissur
Posts: 4,459
Thanked: 3,085 Times
Default Re: Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by reventon2010 View Post
* having promised a 2013 vehicle, i was given a 2012 car.
Why did you take the delivery in this case? Or you got to know about this only after the delivery?

Which dealer is this?
vb-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2013, 18:43   #874
BHPian
 
reventon2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Cochin
Posts: 82
Thanked: 14 Times
Default Re: Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Does your car has mud flaps - old type lengthy ones? If yes then try to remove this & test drive. When I took dly of my Rapid from Tafe Housur Rd, I was told that, that long mud flaps used to scrape the humps & they were arranging for shorter mud flaps. I drove my new car around 400kms in city & highway passing some small to very big humps (with 4 people) & didn't scrape even once, this is w/o mud flaps. Pls check.
Quote:
I can relate to what you have stated. The sound you are experiencing with a full load is the bottom of the boot/ spare wheel well scraping on the speed breaker. I have experienced this too, but on that particular occasion, the speedbreaker was unscientific, and car had a full load (4 passengers+full luggage). I've not experienced it ever since.

Are all speed breakers so badly designed in your location? If it is happening over every small speed breaker, the mud flaps may be the culprit, because the wheel well should not press so low to scrape them.
Anyway, do get it checked up
I thought the same thing too. infact, i had the long mud flaps at first. I noticed the issue right away and had them removed. Though it doesnt scrap all the time now, it still does with a full load (2+3 + a little baggage) even over small or medium sized speed breakers. There are some visible scuff marks under the boot, near the spare wheel well. On my next trip to the dealer, i have it get it looked into.

Quote:
Why did you take the delivery in this case? Or you got to know about this only after the delivery?

Which dealer is this?
I booked my car in the first week of december with marikar, tvm. i was told at the time of booking that by mid- january, i d able to get a 2013 vehicle. Later, i was informed that if i insist on it, i d have to wait for another month or so (without a tentative date, it was not acceptable). Instead, in my temp registration and rc book, its mentioned as a 2013 jan manufactured car but going by the VIN no, its clearly a 2012 model. I was aware of this at the time of delivery.
reventon2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2013, 20:42   #875
Distinguished - BHPian
 
vb-san's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: S'pore/Thrissur
Posts: 4,459
Thanked: 3,085 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by reventon2010 View Post
I booked my car in the first week of december with marikar, tvm. i was told at the time of booking that by mid- january, i d able to get a 2013 vehicle. Later, i was informed that if i insist on it, i d have to wait for another month or so (without a tentative date, it was not acceptable). Instead, in my temp registration and rc book, its mentioned as a 2013 jan manufactured car but going by the VIN no, its clearly a 2012 model. I was aware of this at the time of delivery.
When I was in Thrissur last month I heard that these malpractices were the reason that Skoda did not give any new dealerships to Marikar in Kerala. Maybe it's better for you to get your cars checked in Cochin (forgot the name of the new dealership there).

OT: How is the Jetta going?
vb-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2013, 21:05   #876
Senior - BHPian
 
thoma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Kerala
Posts: 1,706
Thanked: 931 Times
Default Re: Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by reventon2010 View Post
Instead, in my temp registration and rc book, its mentioned as a 2013 jan manufactured car but going by the VIN no, its clearly a 2012 model. I was aware of this at the time of delivery.
This can happen.

My previous car, the Beat was manufactured in March 2011 as per the VIN, but the month and year mentioned in the Sale Certificate (Form-21) is the one RTO checks to incorporate the month and year into the RC book. I guess the month and year mentioned in the Sale Certificate is got from the date of issue (30-4-2011 in my case) of Road-worthiness Certificate (Form-22). The Beat was hence registered as an April 2011 model.
thoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2013, 22:27   #877
BHPian
 
reventon2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Cochin
Posts: 82
Thanked: 14 Times
Default Re: Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
When I was in Thrissur last month I heard that these malpractices were the reason that Skoda did not give any new dealerships to Marikar in Kerala. Maybe it's better for you to get your cars checked in Cochin (forgot the name of the new dealership there).
That's what i'm planning on. After my last visit to the dealership, i dont wanna deal with them anymore.

Quote:
OT: How is the Jetta going?
It is driving like a dream. Save a few scratches, i had absolutely no issues with it whatsoever. I am planning on writing a detailed update but time not permitting.

Quote:
My previous car, the Beat was manufactured in March 2011 as per the VIN, but the month and year mentioned in the Sale Certificate (Form-21) is the one RTO checks to incorporate the month and year into the RC book. I guess the month and year mentioned in the Sale Certificate is got from the date of issue (30-4-2011 in my case) of Road-worthiness Certificate (Form-22). The Beat was hence registered as an April 2011 model.
I will look into the sale certificate and confirm if this is what happened.
reventon2010 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2013, 21:50   #878
BHPian
 
rajni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 125
Thanked: 41 Times
Default Re: Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by santoshr View Post
Did you get these installed yet, I got them delivered and the Skoda guys rejected my set saying the holes don't line up. But looking at it in more detail I can atleast get two holes to align. Also Kryptonite ordered the same and the ones he got fit perfectly.

The screws that Skoda uses are different, hence its a pain to do this on your own.
Sorry, I missed this message. In fact, it is still sitting in my trunk. Since I might hit the first service in a few weeks I thought I would get it fixed then.
rajni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2013, 22:53   #879
BHPian
 
santoshr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Pune
Posts: 165
Thanked: 106 Times
Default Re: Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by torque18 View Post
Off late I have noticed that while braking there is some juddering sensation felt on the steering wheel. This is more prominent when braking at high speeds (90 and above). The braking has not been so hard that the ABS would have kicked in. Also in case of ABS kicking in, the vibrations would have been felt on the pedal. At low speeds however, its not felt.

I am not sure if it was there before too but somehow i feel it everytime now, may be because I have noticed it now.

Is this normal? my car has done 13.5k till date.
I was following the thread and din't notice you mentioning anything about this. Did they replace the rotors for you as in the Advisory ? Or did you have to pay for it.

I have done about 7400 kms / 4months and will be going for the Oil top up thing in a couple of days. I have the same issue and mine's a May model.
santoshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2013, 00:24   #880
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: India
Posts: 327
Thanked: 73 Times
Default Re: Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by santoshr View Post
I was following the thread and din't notice you mentioning anything about this. Did they replace the rotors for you as in the Advisory ? Or did you have to pay for it.

I have done about 7400 kms / 4months and will be going for the Oil top up thing in a couple of days. I have the same issue and mine's a May model.
hi

Mine is also a May model

I took the car to the service centre where they examined the issue and agreed that there is a problem. However, since the same was technically out of warranty, they sought time to get it approved from SAIPL. The rotors were also not in stock with them else i would have got them replaced anyway!

Subsequently, they refused the claim and I wrote to their parent company (Skoda Auto). Finally, the SA called and informed me that SAIPL has agreed to get the issue resolved under warranty but they want to check the hubs also and for that they require some 'special' tool which was not available with them!
After around 15 days I was informed that they have the rotors and the tools and i can get the job done. The car was nearing the first service also so i decided to get it done at the time of service. Have the service scheduled for the 15th. Will update you of the progress.

I suggest you get your car checked at the earliest to avoid the hassle or else they would take the excuse that its not covered under warranty!
torque18 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2013, 13:05   #881
BHPian
 
santoshr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Pune
Posts: 165
Thanked: 106 Times
Default Re: Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by torque18 View Post
I suggest you get your car checked at the earliest to avoid the hassle or else they would take the excuse that its not covered under warranty!
Right, I have the 7500 Oil top-up service scheduled tommorow. Will explain the problem to them, hopefully things should work out.

I have a 2000km drive lined up the next weekend, and if i do that I will end up crossing the 10,000km cut-off hence am really hoping they can fix this for me this weekend.

Anyways, thanks for the update.
santoshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2013, 17:29   #882
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Indore
Posts: 419
Thanked: 539 Times
Default Re: Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review

Skoda rejigs model lineup. Active amd Ambition variant dropped. Here is the new line-up:

Petrol - Manual Transmission - Active Plus / Ambition Plus / Elegance
Petrol - Automatic Transmission - Ambition Plus / Elegance
Diesel - Manual Transmission - Active Plus / Ambition Plus

Skoda Rapid Diesel is no longer being offered in top of the line Elegance trim. This means that diesel buyer has to make do with one less Airbag. If he wants 2 Airbags, then either he must go for petrol or switch to VW Vento.

I think this is being done because of two reasons (or both):
  1. As a part of repositioning Skoda w.r.t. VW.
  2. To make way for European Skoda Rapid.

Source:http://www.indiancarsbikes.in/cars/i...n-trims-67583/

Skoda Rapid Features and Technical Specifications: http://www.skoda-auto.co.in/models/R...-Specification and Skoda Prices: http://www.skoda-auto.co.in/price/Prices
sarthakgupta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2013, 18:31   #883
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 865
Thanked: 231 Times
Default Re: Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review

Checked up 2 days back, discount of up to 1 L on diesel Elegance 2012 model in Bangalore, looks good to me since it will come to about 11 L OTR, but all colours are not available, at least white is sold out I was told at Vinayaka Skoda.
zulfi hansi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2013, 19:08   #884
Senior - BHPian
 
coolboy007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,712
Thanked: 1,411 Times
Default Re: Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarthakgupta View Post
Skoda Rapid Diesel is no longer being offered in top of the line Elegance trim.This means that diesel buyer has to make do with one less Airbag. If he wants 2 Airbags, then either he must go for petrol or switch to VW Vento.
That is extremely strange and stupid, not offering the top variant on their best selling 1.6 TDi engine and offering it on the petrol. Too bad on VW part if this is being forced upon Skoda, i own a Vento but still moves like this to kill a car like Rapid arent welcome, its one brilliant car.

I guess this starts the repositioning thing with Skoda where VW products will be receiving a premium image, both on the price front as well as features.

You lose a whole host of features like MFD, one airbag, steering leather, alloys , climate control etc, if i was in the market today for Rapid/Vento, i would strike the Rapid out just for this one airbag thing, the life of my co-passenger is equally important. This should widen the gap to VW Vento TDI highline by atleast 1-1.5 lakhs.

Last edited by coolboy007 : 11th February 2013 at 19:10.
coolboy007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2013, 18:36   #885
BHPian
 
sam_boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: OD10 -> KA-01
Posts: 219
Thanked: 140 Times
Default Re: Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review

My first service ( Check Up ) update.

One word ... Yahooo !!!! The car's handling has become lot better. The suspension has become too good. Its not very hard now and even the home ministry liked it ( she hated it before). The steering feel has become awesome. I need to mention the name of the Service Advisor Pradeep from Vinayak Skoda here. He did a very good job. He insisted on keeping the car for a day as he had to follow the procedures as per the Skoda advisory for my car as my car was manufactured in that period. But the result has turned out to be awesome.

The service experience is many times better than Advaith Hyundai where I have been servicing my i10. Discussing problems with Skoda guys are much easier and I personally feel the attitude is good. Will I recommend this service ?

A BIG YES !!!
sam_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Skoda Rapid (MPI Elegance MT): Test-drives & Initial Ownership Report smydtt Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 32 29th September 2016 19:09
Skoda Laura vRS : Test Drive & Review Rehaan Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 177 1st January 2014 23:40
A red hot rapid install in a red hot (Skoda) Rapid Samridh In-Car Entertainment 28 18th August 2013 00:49


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 13:29.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks