Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2014, 10:27   #1351
BHPian
 
achopraa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Dilli
Posts: 291
Thanked: 104 Times
Default Re: Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by dspeter View Post
I'm looking for my first car and have narrowed down my options to primarily due to build quality.

# 1 Vento TSI
# 2 Skoda Rapid

Vento TSI as of starting December 2013 has a waiting period of 3 months in Bangalore
Speaking in language of famous Kapil Sharma -
Dspeter - Vento, Vento = Rapid, Rapid = Vento, Rapid - Dspeter

I am sure you must have read it at numerous places in the forum that under the skin, both Vento and Rapid have same skeleton (Hell, VW logo is more prominent at multiple places in my Rapid as compared to Skoda).

Quote:
Q#1
My friends have advised me to stay away from Skoda due to high maintenance cost. How true is this? Is the TCO for Skoda Rapid compared to VW/Hyundai?

As per quote received from the dealer the difference between Elegance AT and Ambition AT is ~72K. Ambition doesn't have climate control, Project lights, Alloy wheels & Chrome finish on steering wheel. 1st two are essential for me and i'm planning to replace the default wheels.
  • Please use the link below to check for yourself the estimated service cost for Rapid - Skoda Service Cost Calculator
  • Vento's service cost can be seen in multiple threads all across the forum.
  • The approximate service cost is in the range of 10K, give or take couple of thousands. Since both (Vento & Rapid) cars use almost identical Spares, there is not much difference in their TCO.
  • I, for one do not think that Hyundai's ownership cost is less. Don't know the case for Verna, but for my i10 a trip to Service Centre puts me back by around 3-3.5K and the service interval is 10K. In Rapid/Vento, service interval is 15K.

Quote:
Q#2
Can I get replace the manual cooling system with Climate control system?

Appreciate your response to help me decide.

Cheers
Even if possible, its not worth the hassle to fiddle with the electronics/parts of your new beauty.
Given your preferences, the Elegance model seems apt for your needs. The 72K cost is worth paying for the features it has to offer.
Not sure of your preference, but I suggest you look for a Late-2013 model from your dealer and you might get a hefty discount against the same.
achopraa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2014, 11:44   #1352
Distinguished - BHPian
 
swiftnfurious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 6,162
Thanked: 5,057 Times
Default Re: Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by dspeter View Post
...
Q#1
My friends have advised me to stay away from Skoda due to high maintenance cost. How true is this? Is the TCO for Skoda Rapid compared to VW/Hyundai?...
Yes! Skoda & VW would have identical costs while Hyundai will be lesser. My take would be a 30% lesser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dspeter View Post
...
Q#2
Can I get replace the manual cooling system with Climate control system?...
While it's possible technically, I would suggest you do NOT do it as there would hardly be any credible guys who can do this job. Skoda guys will NEVER do it. Please buy a model where this feature is available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by achopraa View Post
...
  • I, for one do not think that Hyundai's ownership cost is less. Don't know the case for Verna, but for my i10 a trip to Service Centre puts me back by around 3-3.5K and the service interval is 10K. In Rapid/Vento, service interval is 15K...
Compared to a Skoda / VW (Rapid/Vento), Hyundai (Verna) will be cheaper, but expensive than a Maruti (SX4) with respect to the service costs.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 8th January 2014 at 11:48.
swiftnfurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2014, 12:01   #1353
BHPian
 
achopraa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Dilli
Posts: 291
Thanked: 104 Times
Default Re: Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Yes! Skoda & VW would have identical costs while Hyundai will be lesser. My take would be a 30% lesser.
Quote:
Compared to a Skoda / VW (Rapid/Vento), Hyundai (Verna) will be cheaper, but expensive than a Maruti (SX4) with respect to the service costs.
I may not agree with this.

Referring to just one of the bills (link below) and comparing it with Skoda Service Cost Calculator link posted above, I do not see a 30% difference in terms of
a) Cost of Parts
b) PMS Cost
The difference is ~10% and mainly due to use of Synthetic Oil in Germans v/s Mineral Oil in the Korean.
Verna Service Cost @40K Kms (Hyundai India, unreasonable long term maintenance and service practices!)

Also, what is the Service Interval of Verna? The last I heard, it was 10K Kms.
Going by that logic, the Service Cost of Verna will in turn be more as compared to the other 2.
achopraa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2014, 12:45   #1354
Distinguished - BHPian
 
swiftnfurious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 6,162
Thanked: 5,057 Times
Default Re: Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by achopraa View Post
I may not agree with this.

Referring to just one of the bills (link below) and comparing it with Skoda Service Cost Calculator link posted above, I do not see a 30% difference in terms of
a) Cost of Parts
b) PMS Cost
The difference is ~10% and mainly due to use of Synthetic Oil in Germans v/s Mineral Oil in the Korean.
Verna Service Cost @40K Kms (Hyundai India, unreasonable long term maintenance and service practices!)
I have read about 10K bills for Vento / Polo. That's how arrived at a 30% lesser cost considering Verna around 7K. From a TCO perspective (which the actual question was), Hyundai will definitely be cheaper than the duo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by achopraa View Post
... Also, what is the Service Interval of Verna? The last I heard, it was 10K Kms.
Going by that logic, the Service Cost of Verna will in turn be more as compared to the other 2.
Yep - In this case, it's a bit difficult to reach a conclusion. And again for a proper conlcusion, we will have to take the cumulative rates for 1,00,000 kms for both and then compare.
swiftnfurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2014, 13:27   #1355
BHPian
 
shivasuma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 742
Thanked: 262 Times
Default Re: Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Yes! Skoda & VW would have identical costs while Hyundai will be lesser. My take would be a 30% lesser.
Not true anymore. Hyundai insists that my 2009 diesel I20 be serviced twice every year. And I get a bill of 5-6K every time (that's a total of min 10K per year). What perplexes me is the newer I20s require only a yearly service. The cost for the same is also around 10K I believe. It could be more depending on how gullible you are. So Hyundai and Skoda service costs are in the same ballpark.
shivasuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2014, 14:17   #1356
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Noida
Posts: 519
Thanked: 175 Times
Default Re: Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivasuma View Post
Not true anymore. Hyundai insists that my 2009 diesel I20 be serviced twice every year. And I get a bill of 5-6K every time (that's a total of min 10K per year). What perplexes me is the newer I20s require only a yearly service. The cost for the same is also around 10K I believe. It could be more depending on how gullible you are. So Hyundai and Skoda service costs are in the same ballpark.
OT: Is this how it's mentioned in your car's manual i.e. 6 months or 10k km service or just a dealer's claim? IIRC from Apr 2009, as per Hyundai, all hyundai cars need annual or 10k km service. Dealers almost tell anything to make more money.
amit1234singla is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2014, 14:51   #1357
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Rajeevraj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,963
Thanked: 6,432 Times
Default Re: Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by achopraa View Post
Speaking in language of famous Kapil Sharma -
Dspeter - Vento, Vento = Rapid, Rapid = Vento, Rapid - Dspeter

I am sure you must have read it at numerous places in the forum that under the skin, both Vento and Rapid have same skeleton (Hell, VW logo is more prominent at multiple places in my Rapid as compared to Skoda).
Not really true in this case. The Vento AT is the new 1.2 TSI and 7 Speed DSG combination, the Rapid AT is still the 1.6 + 6 Speed Torque Converter based AT box (which was present on the outgoing Vento AT).

Quote:
Originally Posted by dspeter View Post
I'm looking for my first car and have narrowed down my options to primarily due to build quality.

# 1 Vento TSI
# 2 Skoda Rapid

Vento TSI as of starting December 2013 has a waiting period of 3 months in Bangalore

Appreciate your response to help me decide.

Cheers
From a technology, efficiency, performance perspective, the Vento's TSI +DSG combination will be much better than the Rapid AT. On the down side, the Vento TSI is more expensive than the Rapid, comes only in one variant and there is always a underlying concern about the reliability of the DSG Box.

I think you can get good deals on the Rapid and the AT comes in couple of variants. On the downside, there is a chance that the Rapid will also get updated to the TSI+DSG at some point.
Rajeevraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2014, 22:46   #1358
BHPian
 
achopraa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Dilli
Posts: 291
Thanked: 104 Times
Default Re: Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Yep - In this case, it's a bit difficult to reach a conclusion. And again for a proper conlcusion, we will have to take the cumulative rates for 1,00,000 kms for both and then compare.
"I got my third service done(ODO : 45500) this weekend at B.U.Bhandari(Pune) and the total servicing cost was 9211 this time. I had paid 8200(15000 kms) and 8750(30000 kms) in the last two services."

"Completed the fourth service for my Vento last weekend(61000 ODO) and the servicing cost was Rs.9908. No damages or, part replacements except fuel filter, engine oil and standard service list checks."
Source-Vento Service Cost

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivasuma View Post
Not true anymore. Hyundai insists that my 2009 diesel I20 be serviced twice every year. And I get a bill of 5-6K every time (that's a total of min 10K per year). What perplexes me is the newer I20s require only a yearly service. The cost for the same is also around 10K I believe. It could be more depending on how gullible you are. So Hyundai and Skoda service costs are in the same ballpark.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amit1234singla View Post
OT: Is this how it's mentioned in your car's manual i.e. 6 months or 10k km service or just a dealer's claim? IIRC from Apr 2009, as per Hyundai, all hyundai cars need annual or 10k km service. Dealers almost tell anything to make more money.
What is the Engine Oil that is being used in your car?
What is changing that is escalating the cost to 10K on it being an yearly service?
Also, as stated in above Quote, check for the items in the Servicing list. Many of them might be ones you do not need at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Not really true in this case. The Vento AT is the new 1.2 TSI and 7 Speed DSG combination, the Rapid AT is still the 1.6 + 6 Speed Torque Converter based AT box (which was present on the outgoing Vento AT).
My Bad. All I was thinking was the Petrol and Diesel MT's and forgot that he was looking for an Automatic.
achopraa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2014, 08:38   #1359
BHPian
 
shivasuma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 742
Thanked: 262 Times
Default Re: Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit1234singla View Post
OT: Is this how it's mentioned in your car's manual i.e. 6 months or 10k km service or just a dealer's claim? IIRC from Apr 2009, as per Hyundai, all hyundai cars need annual or 10k km service. Dealers almost tell anything to make more money.
It's in the manual, that's why I mentioned Hyundai says. It's a different thing that I started servicing my car every year or 10K kms after the warranty expired.
shivasuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2014, 23:37   #1360
gps
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Delhi
Posts: 13
Thanked: 39 Times
Default Re: Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review

Hi people, quick question:

Are the audio-connectors in rapid (behind the factory fitted stereo) ISO or different pinout?

I am preparing for a system swap, so need to know if I need an adapter or not.

Has anyone done an aftermarket install on rapid? any pictures?
were any adapters/rewiring required to ensure system works?

I might end up doing it myself (not decided) so links to any threads on topic are welcome.

Thanks
gps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2014, 00:48   #1361
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: bangalore
Posts: 29
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

Quote:
I think you can get good deals on the Rapid and the AT comes in couple of variants. On the downside, there is a chance that the Rapid will also get updated to the TSI+DSG at some point.
The dealer is offering me 40K cash discount on the 2014 model but 2013 manufactured car with 5 yr extended warranty. I tried negotiating another 40K worth of accessories like 4D mats, AVN with parking camera and navigation inbuilt, but he's not agreeing.

How much will it cost me to upgrade the OE tyres to Yokohoma 195/60? Any suggestions for good tyre dealers in Bangalore?

What should I do with the 5th Non-alloy spare wheel? Should I negotiate with the Skoda dealer or will I have to procure this from some local dealer? I wonder whether the non-OE wheel will match the others?

Appreciate all the responses.

Many Thanks
Peter

Last edited by moralfibre : 10th January 2014 at 07:33. Reason: Fixing quote tag
dspeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2014, 07:45   #1362
Distinguished - BHPian
 
shankar.balan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: BLR
Posts: 7,593
Thanked: 4,509 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dspeter View Post
The dealer is offering me 40K cash discount on the 2014 model but 2013 manufactured car with 5 yr extended warranty. I tried negotiating another 40K worth of accessories like 4D mats, AVN with parking camera and navigation inbuilt, but he's not agreeing. How much will it cost me to upgrade the OE tyres to Yokohoma 195/60? Any suggestions for good tyre dealers in Bangalore? What should I do with the 5th Non-alloy spare wheel? Should I negotiate with the Skoda dealer or will I have to procure this from some local dealer? I wonder whether the non-OE wheel will match the others? Appreciate all the responses. Many Thanks Peter


Go and talk to Vinayak Skoda. Meet Mr Hemanth and refer me if you want. Ask him what best he can give you.

2013 manufactured cars can get you a decent ish discount. They were offering a lac off on these but they may have run out of stock. The car would obviously be registered in 2014 but it will not be a '2014 model' as you have written.

AVN with Parking Camera and Navigation in built may not work out because I dont think they have such an option here right now for the Rapid. Or at least I have not ever seen/ heard of the same.

Your stock tyres can be upgraded at Madhu's who are probably the best people in Bangalore. However, I would urge you to look closely at the terms of your warranty to avoid losing out before you change tyre sizes. You can leave the 5th non alloy spare wheel as it is, or it is possible that it will 'stick out a bit' in the boot if toy upsize the tyre because of the new non standard tyre size.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2014, 08:51   #1363
BHPian
 
shivasuma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 742
Thanked: 262 Times
Default Re: Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post

AVN with Parking Camera and Navigation in built may not work out because I dont think they have such an option here right now for the Rapid. Or at least I have not ever seen/ heard of the same.
They do have an in-built unit called the Green Hiwe. It is also approved by Skoda and is specifically made for Skoda. But the thing is you have to get it from the dealer (they charge you more).
shivasuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2014, 11:51   #1364
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: bangalore
Posts: 29
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Go and talk to Vinayak Skoda. Meet Mr Hemanth and refer me if you want. Ask him what best he can give you.
Which branch of Vinayak Skoda should I contact? I saw there are couple of them in Bangalore.

Thanks
Peter
dspeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2014, 11:57   #1365
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: bangalore
Posts: 29
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

They do have an in-built unit called the Green Hiwe. It is also approved by Skoda and is specifically made for Skoda. But the thing is you have to get it from the dealer (they charge you more).[/quote]

Yes and they are quoting 26k for it. What is the bargain price?

Cheers
dspeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Skoda Rapid (MPI Elegance MT): Test-drives & Initial Ownership Report smydtt Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 32 29th September 2016 19:09
Skoda Laura vRS : Test Drive & Review Rehaan Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 177 1st January 2014 23:40
A red hot rapid install in a red hot (Skoda) Rapid Samridh In-Car Entertainment 28 18th August 2013 00:49


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 04:10.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks