Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11th February 2014, 13:41   #1456
BHPian
 
motorworks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 510
Thanked: 182 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
A Full tail lamp unit costs in the region of 1.7k for RH and 2.4k for LH I suggest, it's better to go for a dealer replacement for plastic parts like the headlamp and tail lamp. I have seen how after market pieces tend to fade and look bad two or three years later.Not worth it IMHO
Thanks, I just got the Rear right tail lamp assembly replaced at vinayak KR puram. They charged me Rs. 1796 including Rs.100 for labour.
It was just a 5 minute job.

Thanks for all the responses I got in tbhp in such a short while.
motorworks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2014, 14:29   #1457
BHPian
 
narsi_6989's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: TN 13/KA 53
Posts: 215
Thanked: 142 Times
Default Re: Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pferdestarke View Post
Yes, it is possible to procure the cover, don't know the exact price though. It should be around 500 bucks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
Thanks, do you know from where? I was told by vinyak skoda that the whole assembly needs to be replaced.
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
Thanks, I just got the Rear right tail lamp assembly replaced at vinayak KR puram. They charged me Rs. 1796 including Rs.100 for labour.
It was just a 5 minute job.

Thanks for all the responses I got in tbhp in such a short while.
Hi motoworks, as Pferdestarke it is possible to procure the cover alone. Since you have already replaced the complete assembly now, the below information can be used for future reference.

There are Skoda authorized spare parts shops available in Mumbai and they sell the spares and also generate bills using your VIN. But the dealers never entertain changing the cover alone and always insist on changing the complete assembly. The worst scenario is that the dealer might even tell that the assemblies are sold in pairs and we need to change both .

Below are few links which will point towards the spare parts shop. These are in Mumbai. I am still searching for one in Chennai. If there is someone in Mumbai, you can ask him to procure and courier it to you.
  1. The covers alone can be procured : (Skoda: Steps towards Transparency - Online Service Cost Calculator & Owners Manual)
  2. These are the spare parts dealers : (Skoda: Steps towards Transparency - Online Service Cost Calculator & Owners Manual)

Last edited by narsi_6989 : 11th February 2014 at 14:32.
narsi_6989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2014, 16:14   #1458
BHPian
 
achopraa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Dilli
Posts: 291
Thanked: 104 Times
Default Re: Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by dspeter View Post
Hi Abhishek,

I'm curious to know how the internal wiring has been done upto the RVM. I'm planning to have one installed as well in my Rapid.

Please post some pictures if possible.

Thanks
Peter
The wiring moves from back to the front from the side of the rear seat and is then tucked under the door cladding upto A-Pillar.
It is then tucked under A-Pillar and taken all the way to roof and till the IRVM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
Thanks, I just got the Rear right tail lamp assembly replaced at vinayak KR puram. They charged me Rs. 1796 including Rs.100 for labour.
It was just a 5 minute job.

Thanks for all the responses I got in tbhp in such a short while.
I hope you would have retained the Inner assembly of your existing light. Also, do you have any rear view helpers (Sensor/Camera) installed?
achopraa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2014, 19:08   #1459
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: bangalore
Posts: 29
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by achopraa View Post
The wiring moves from back to the front from the side of the rear seat and is then tucked under the door cladding upto A-Pillar.
It is then tucked under A-Pillar and taken all the way to roof and till the?

Thanks for responding. The dealer in Bangalore is proposing Green Hiwe HU unit for 50k inclusive of rear view camera and body colored sensors.

Additional ₹45k for Stanley leather seats includes seats and door.

Are these a good deal?

Cheers
dspeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2014, 19:34   #1460
BHPian
 
achopraa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Dilli
Posts: 291
Thanked: 104 Times
Default Re: Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Revi

Quote:
Originally Posted by dspeter View Post
Thanks for responding. The dealer in Bangalore is proposing Green Hiwe HU unit for 50k inclusive of rear view camera and body colored sensors.

Additional ₹45k for Stanley leather seats includes seats and door.

Are these a good deal?

Cheers
Frankly, it's your money and you know the best worth of it.
You need to decide the must have features you would like to have and the comfort (or WoW factor) you will be getting from the same.

PS - I would have rather bought a 55inch LED with a good Home Theatre for the same amount and fulfil my other aspiration from things-to-do-when-I-have-some-extra-bucks list. But then, that's me and my preferences.

Last edited by achopraa : 11th February 2014 at 19:35.
achopraa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2014, 16:32   #1461
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: bangalore
Posts: 29
Thanked: 2 Times
Default Re: Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Revi

Quote:
Originally Posted by achopraa View Post
Frankly, it's your money and you know the best worth of it.
You need to decide the must have features you would like to have and the comfort (or WoW factor) you will be getting from the same.

PS - I would have rather bought a 55inch LED with a good Home Theatre for the same amount and fulfil my other aspiration from things-to-do-when-I-have-some-extra-bucks list. But then, that's me and my preferences.
Well that was quite an wake up call ;-) Thanks Mate. Makes lotta sense.

Cheers
dspeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2014, 19:34   #1462
Distinguished - BHPian
 
swiftnfurious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 6,158
Thanked: 5,039 Times
Default Re: Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by dspeter View Post
Thanks for responding. The dealer in Bangalore is proposing Green Hiwe HU unit for 50k inclusive of rear view camera and body colored sensors.

Additional ₹45k for Stanley leather seats includes seats and door.

Are these a good deal?

Cheers
If you have to pay for this, do NOT take it please. Stanley has enough negative ratings in the forum off late and I would rather spend on a good branded HU than the green hiwe model. Even then, I would pay lesser than quoted.
swiftnfurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2014, 21:22   #1463
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: bangalore
Posts: 29
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

Well the problem with getting a HU installed from outside is losing the warranty from skoda. No matter how much we argue about this inspite of the wiring not being tampered, this doesn't go we'll with Skoda. They don't budge and customers eventually have no option but to give up or fight a losing battle.

Anyway I want to know the user experience with Leatherite seats sold by the dealer. For less than 10k is the art leather a good option or please suggest any good alternatives.

Thanks
dspeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2014, 11:45   #1464
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 155
Thanked: 25 Times
Default Re: Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review

dspeter> what I feel is, buy the HU which you like & get it fixed by skoda & obtain the bill. This they will do, I had checked in TAFE. Then you can get the wiring/fitting etc re-checked outside by an expert. In this way you won't have any warranty issues.

About seat covers, instead spending 40-50k you can opt for covers in good shades/designs around 8-10k. Later if you feel the color/design boring, you can go for one more new set may be after 3-4yrs, so that you will have fresh interiors feel. This is what I 've done to my Rapid.
ALSUDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2014, 09:14   #1465
BHPian
 
500ContyCruiser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: KA25
Posts: 501
Thanked: 319 Times
Default Re: Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review

Has anyone checked these DRL's for Rapid? Looks nice!


Site: http://www.mxsmotosport.com/



Their site: http://www.fcunit.com (which appears to be down now)

Source: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...levant_count=1

FB Page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/FC-UNIT/429636365322
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review-1275164_10153281929250323_1727811353_o.jpg  


Last edited by 500ContyCruiser : 16th February 2014 at 09:36. Reason: Realized these are two separate brands
500ContyCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2014, 17:45   #1466
BHPian
 
achopraa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Dilli
Posts: 291
Thanked: 104 Times
Default Re: Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by dspeter View Post
Well the problem with getting a HU installed from outside is losing the warranty from skoda. No matter how much we argue about this inspite of the wiring not being tampered, this doesn't go we'll with Skoda. They don't budge and customers eventually have no option but to give up or fight a losing battle.

Anyway I want to know the user experience with Leatherite seats sold by the dealer. For less than 10k is the art leather a good option or please suggest any good alternatives.

Thanks
Dealer prices for accesories is always on a higher side by atleast 20-30%.
Try finding an accessory shop outside to get best VFM leatherette seat covers.
You can also try converting seat into bucket style seat by removing orginal cloth and getting the seats stitched in leatherette(and they do feel good).
The downside with Leatherette is their ability to be too hot or too cold in extreme weathers but on the other hand its too easy to clean them (specially since we have beige) as compared to the Cloth based covers.

PS:- for around 42k more, i got Skoda Antares alloys, reverse camera, garmin Nuvi GPS navigator with Reverse display, parking sensors and Art Leather Covers under the Leisure Model.
Keeping above in mind, 10K seems to be on a bit higher side.
achopraa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2014, 20:02   #1467
BHPian
 
manas27587's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 141
Thanked: 55 Times
Default Re: Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review

I have one broken tail lamp minding that only the plastic has broken and the lights work perfectly fine?

Will I have to fully replace the lamp???
manas27587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2014, 11:50   #1468
BHPian
 
narsi_6989's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: TN 13/KA 53
Posts: 215
Thanked: 142 Times
Default Re: Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by manas27587 View Post
I have one broken tail lamp minding that only the plastic has broken and the lights work perfectly fine?

Will I have to fully replace the lamp???
Hi Manas,

The detailed explanation for your question is just a few posts above (1457). A few links are also there to clarify your question. Please feel free to go through them and also please try to avoid redundancy in the thread.
narsi_6989 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2014, 00:36   #1469
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: India
Posts: 327
Thanked: 73 Times
Default Re: Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review

Hello

Recently I had ordered the projector headlamps for my car. The new headlights, as found on the MY14 model, shares the same connector with the older units with no change whatsoever in the combination switch too.

However, to our surprise when it was installed in place of the old units, the low beam(projector) would go off every time high beam was flashed or the switch pushed back (constant high beam) when ideally on high beam the low beam should also stay on. The workshop guys apparently scanned the wiring diagram of the two cars as well but could not find any difference. This is baffling indeed.

Would anyone have any idea about this?
torque18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2014, 08:44   #1470
BHPian
 
achopraa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Dilli
Posts: 291
Thanked: 104 Times
Default Re: Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by torque18 View Post
Hello

Recently I had ordered the projector headlamps for my car. The new headlights, as found on the MY14 model, shares the same connector with the older units with no change whatsoever in the combination switch too.

However, to our surprise when it was installed in place of the old units, the low beam(projector) would go off every time high beam was flashed or the switch pushed back (constant high beam) when ideally on high beam the low beam should also stay on. The workshop guys apparently scanned the wiring diagram of the two cars as well but could not find any difference. This is baffling indeed.

Would anyone have any idea about this?
In a normal Headlight, only one beam works at time i.e. either you are at High Beam or at low beam.
Both High and Low beams are generated from the same bulb filament with only one of it glowing at a time.
What glows along with both the beams are the parking lights (small bulbs inside the Headlight Assembly).
I would expect the same behaviour in Projector lamps as well, so IMHO all is well.

On the other hand, what was the cost of the Projector lamps and any pics to share after your setup.

Finally - Congratulations!!!
achopraa is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Skoda Rapid (MPI Elegance MT): Test-drives & Initial Ownership Report smydtt Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 32 29th September 2016 19:09
Skoda Laura vRS : Test Drive & Review Rehaan Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 177 1st January 2014 23:40
A red hot rapid install in a red hot (Skoda) Rapid Samridh In-Car Entertainment 28 18th August 2013 00:49


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 18:01.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks