Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2012, 16:18   #526
MCR
BHPian

Re: Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
You are right, The Linea is well loaded with features. The 2012 dynamic version has every feature that you need like blue & me,Alloy wheels, steering mounted controls etc. But the the engine lacks the punch.
True. I have taken longish testdrives of both Linea MJD 2012 and the Rapid TDI. Rapid TDI is better in terms of driveability, thanks to the better power to weight ratio and Torque. But the gearbox of both the cars are a bit vague and far from being slick!
Engine noise on the TDI is very enjoyable, atleast for the motorheads! You can clearly hear as to what the engine is doing.
AC on the Linea is far better. Rapid is just about ok.
Old 3rd April 2012, 22:16   #527
BHPian

I have not done a TD on Linea diesel variant. But, have heard a lot from some of my friends in my hometown about its bad turbo lag. I don't think it is a good option if you are living in a city like Bangalore.
Old 7th April 2012, 09:37   #528

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
Hey thanks for sharing your experience. Great to know that you have a petrol and I'm sure that the petrol engine is a gem as well!
I own the Ambition variant and hence there is no climatronic!
H.ever, I have removed the plastic seat wrap, which I had kept on as the seats were in beige and I actually wanted to get new seat covers. But some how have not been able to arrive at a conclusion on leather vs art leather.
The cooling is a lot better now, after I removed these plastic wraps! and I'm yet to install sunfilms. BTW, how much did you pay for the sun films {if you dont mind}
Apologies for getting back a tad late on this,just loving the petrol engine,no regrets in picking up a petrol variant.
The CR70 was billed at 7750 with a 5 yr warranty, while the CS 35 was around 5250. I know the costs are definitely higher compared to the quotes by local accessories dealers in Bangalore, but i preferred 3M show room for the following reasons:
1. The job was handled by professionals & it showed (read as expensive labor), i managed to observe the work over 2 hrs
2. Done in a comparatively dust free environment & under competent supervision
3. I had upgraded to Stanley seats before doing the sun film, so was sensitive to the way the car interiors were handled during the entire work
4. Mr.Sidhu (3M HSR layout), was a factor as well,a practical person who explains the options available,gives a detailed demo & gives you the freedom of making a choice. May not be a relevant factor for many, but i definitely appreciated it.

Thanks & happy motoring
Old 7th April 2012, 09:44   #529
BHPian

Received my TDI Ambition Rapid on Thursday, drove to Mumbai-Shirdi-Mumbai on Friday. Excellent & pleasurable drive. After my A-Star this feels like a 'cloud' the way it soaks up bumps. AC was good during the morning, but as the afternoon arrived, it could have performed a touch better.

@bass&trouble was kind enough to put in a smacking ICE on Thursday. JVC KWR900BT and Focal Kit 165VB & Focal Kit 165CVX, Scoche Cables, Noise Kill etc. Sounds great !

Got most the other accessories from NAV CAR at Andheri - Seat Covers, Reverse Sensor, Mats, Sun film, Mud Flaps.

Thanks to T-Bhp for helping me immensely make this very good decision.
I did face a few niggles from Autobahn, but I'll keep that for another post.
Old 7th April 2012, 10:07   #530
BHPian

Finally a big dream - upgrade from Swift 1.3 Vxi ABS to Rapid 1.6 TDi Elegance - comes real. On thursday the sales executive from Tafe (Pradeep) called me over phone and said I can collect my car on Friday with a temporary registration if I am impatient to wait till Monday! And you can guess what I would have told, hehe . Yes - can I collect it today itself. But, I had to count down hours and mins and seconds till Friday 3pm. You know - I literally had to jump out of an All Hands meeting with our CEO, that too just in front of him, to keep the time . Well, finally when I got the keys on my hand my heart was jumping with excitement. Initial impression is "it rocks"!. Still have to get used to the reverse gear. I often push the knob to the right most as if in my Swift. But, the real problem is getting the liver from "R" to "N". It is a little stiff. Another thing that came to my attention was that there's no door lock from the inside. So, if you don't want the passengers to open the door while the car is in motion is to enable Child Lock. Anyone knows of any alternative settings please let me know.Still getting used to the settings in the display panel. Will post more as I have more. Thank you Team-BHP for this excellent thread which gave me a lots of information when I was searching for upgrade a few months ago.
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review-20120407rapid_dsc_5552.jpg  

Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review-20120407rapid_dsc_5546.jpg  

rajni is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th April 2012, 10:09   #531
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimodi View Post
Received my TDI Ambition Rapid on Thursday, drove to Mumbai-Shirdi-Mumbai on Friday. Excellent & pleasurable drive. After my A-Star this feels like a 'cloud' the way it soaks up bumps. AC was good during the morning, but as the afternoon arrived, it could have performed a touch better.

@bass&trouble was kind enough to put in a smacking ICE on Thursday. JVC KWR900BT and Focal Kit 165VB & Focal Kit 165CVX, Scoche Cables, Noise Kill etc. Sounds great !

Got most the other accessories from NAV CAR at Andheri - Seat Covers, Reverse Sensor, Mats, Sun film, Mud Flaps.

Thanks to T-Bhp for helping me immensely make this very good decision.
I did face a few niggles from Autobahn, but I'll keep that for another post.
Congratulations on your ride and awesome ICE Setup. If you don't mind could you share the priced for the focal speakers and their comparison to HertzEnergy and Morel Maxximos. Also the cost for the reverse sensors.

While you are at, kindly share pics of your ride with the setup
Old 7th April 2012, 10:49   #532
BHPian

Team,

Now I have the Rapid, I was looking for Seat covers, sunfilm and reverse sensors. Tafe told me that they don't have C.Beige colored sensors. I didn't want to go for black ones as I am scared it will spoil the beauty of the rear bumper. Does anyone has managed to get C.Beige colored sensors? if yes- please share details like the shop, price and brand etc. Also, any pointers about the color/texture/material/design for the seat covers and again any reasonable sellers? I heard that 3m's shop is a little higher side on the price. Is there any genuine sellers for the same who quotes less? Thank you folks.
Old 7th April 2012, 10:52   #533
BHPian

Thank you @xtremeshock. Will surely post pictures soon. The reverse sensor by xenos I believe came to me at 3500/-.

If you do not mind, I am going to refrain from letting the pricing of my ICE public. @bass&trouble and I hit it off well, as we are from very similar industries with a lot of common friends and future business interests. Therefore he has been extremely kind on the pricing. He has even put in cables for a future Amp / SW upgrade option, which I will exercise in a few months.

Being a sound engineer myself, I was very keen to get the best DA convertors & abilities to tweak the time alignment & EQ of the system, so that no matter where I sit, I can recall a setting for optimum listening.

Pictures very soon. The trip to Shirdi and back has left the Rapid dirty already. I need to clean her up once before I display her to T-Bhp

@Rajni I was also quite left in a confused state on learning that there is no 'real' locking from inside the car except for child-lock. This they explained is a safety feature, as people should be given the option to exit during an emergency or electronic failure due to floods etc. I guess I will learn to live with it.

The R to N is a bit stiff & my wife had problems doing that shift smoothly. For some reason it did not bother me much.

I am not much of a detailed writer, but will keep posting bits and pieces of my experiences good, bad & ugly with the Rapid.
adimodi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2012, 12:33   #534

[ Another thing that came to my attention was that there's no door lock from the inside. So, if you don't want the passengers to open the door while the car is in motion is to enable Child Lock. Anyone knows of any alternative settings please let me know.

Congrats on the Rapid!
Please ask the dealer to activate the auto speed lock function in the car (the auto lock gets activated once the car attains a speed in excess of 10mph ~16kmph). A real safety feature but it does not address your need of preventing occupants of the car from opening the doors from inside!

Once the ignition is switched off & the key is removed, the auto speed lock should be disengaged, please test this before you drive out from TAFE service. I activated the auto lock feature on my Rapid, but it fails to unlock once the ignition is switched off. Guess its a matter of reprogramming the software.

Safe motoring & wishing you a lot of happy miles!
Old 7th April 2012, 13:04   #535
BHPian

Quote:
Congrats on the Rapid!
Please ask the dealer to activate the auto speed lock function in the car (the auto lock gets activated once the car attains a speed in excess of 10mph ~16kmph). A real safety feature but it does not address your need of preventing occupants of the car from opening the doors from inside!

Once the ignition is switched off & the key is removed, the auto speed lock should be disengaged, please test this before you drive out from TAFE service. I activated the auto lock feature on my Rapid, but it fails to unlock once the ignition is switched off. Guess its a matter of reprogramming the software.

Safe motoring & wishing you a lot of happy miles!

Thanks prraghun! Per the Skoda showroom and per your comment it seems the auto speed lock is effective only from outside. Passengers can still open the door when the car is auto locked provided that child lock is not active. So, that doesn't make any sense to me. No one can open the door from outside when the car is in motion if it it is not locked also. It should be actually the other way. Passengers shouldn't open the door by mistake during the travel. Child lock is not a good option as it is not convenient to enable and disable whenever required. It's not conveniently placed which make sense as it is for stopping kids from operating it comfortably. I guess no external system like autocop can help here as Skoda has not provided the internal lock mechanism. :(
Old 7th April 2012, 13:57   #536
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajni View Post
Team,

Now I have the Rapid, I was looking for Seat covers, sunfilm and reverse sensors. Tafe told me that they don't have C.Beige colored sensors. I didn't want to go for black ones as I am scared it will spoil the beauty of the rear bumper. Does anyone has managed to get C.Beige colored sensors? if yes- please share details like the shop, price and brand etc. Also, any pointers about the color/texture/material/design for the seat covers and again any reasonable sellers? I heard that 3m's shop is a little higher side on the price. Is there any genuine sellers for the same who quotes less? Thank you folks.
I have got the reverse sensor installed in Mumbai & I have got C.Beige ones for my C.Beige Ambition TDI. It's a neat finish and almost looks stock. I would strongly suggest you look for these and not settle for black or white ones as they would really look out of place. If you need, I could ship these to you from Mumbai? I went in for cheaper seat covers (non-branded) but gave a design from the Autoform brochure. The model is the U-Fit and the color is Begie/Brown, where the brown closely matches the brown of the Rapid's dash. Ill post pic's soon. They cost me 4200/-.
Old 7th April 2012, 15:24   #537
BHPian

Quote:
I have got the reverse sensor installed in Mumbai & I have got C.Beige ones for my C.Beige Ambition TDI. It's a neat finish and almost looks stock. I would strongly suggest you look for these and not settle for black or white ones as they would really look out of place.
Can you give me the brand and price you paid etc. I will try to find one in Bangalore and will ping you if I fail to find one. Thank you
Old 7th April 2012, 17:44   #538
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajni

Can you give me the brand and price you paid etc. I will try to find one in Bangalore and will ping you if I fail to find one. Thank you
It is a Xenos for about 3,200 ... Let me know!
adimodi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2012, 17:49   #539
BHPian

Posting as a new reply as I can't find the Edit button of my previous post.

Found one more weird thing. The right wiper blade when pulled up for cleaning the windscreen touches the bonnet lid and doesn't stay up without support. You will have to hold it with one hand when you clean the glass. The left wiper can be pulled all the way up and will stay there without any support as normal. When asked about the strange behavior the Skoda poc says that it was designed that way and I will have to keep it supported with one hand during cleaning. I am not sure why it was designed that way. Looks more like a design problem to me.
Old 8th April 2012, 00:46   #540
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajni View Post
Posting as a new reply as I can't find the Edit button of my previous post.

Found one more weird thing. The right wiper blade when pulled up for cleaning the windscreen touches the bonnet lid and doesn't stay up without support. You will have to hold it with one hand when you clean the glass. The left wiper can be pulled all the way up and will stay there without any support as normal. When asked about the strange behavior the Skoda poc says that it was designed that way and I will have to keep it supported with one hand during cleaning. I am not sure why it was designed that way. Looks more like a design problem to me.
An easy solution presented to me by a windshield washer lady at a fuel station I regularly visit:

Activate the wiper so that it makes a half-sweep. This will leave both vertical. Now you can easily lift both the arms to their full extent, and they will stay up by themselves.
pillainp is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks