Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 16th August 2012, 20:05   #136
BHPian

Default Re: Ford Fiesta (Automatic) : Test Drive & Review

My wife and I took a test drive on the new Ford Fiesta Titanium Automatic today.

I must say that this is the first time I actually got a test drive in the "real" automatic version of any car in India. Earlier, I was told by Mahindra (Scorpio), Hyundai (Verna and i20), Toyota (Fortuner) etc that no automatic test drive vehicle was available.

With Ford, it was different. I sent an e-mail to the Ford India web-site last evening, and two dealers called me today, both offering to bring the Fiesta Titanium Auto to my doorstep and letting me drive it. Well done - Ford ! Question : are these cars not selling ?

The car was really very nice. My wife will be the main user of the car, and hence I let her get the feel.

A few things irked us :
- The turn indicators are on the left of the steering wheel. It seems that the steering has been shifted from a left-hand- drive car to a RHD car. This could become a problem because our other car, a Hyundai i10 automatic, has the turn indicator on the right hand side of the steering wheel. Hence if we switch cars between my wife and myself, as we often will do, we will have to concentrate to remember which side the indicator are located.
- The salesman had no idea about how the advertised "voice activated" controls worked.
- There IS a slight lag in starting, as Venky mentioned. The feel of the automatic gearbox is different from those that my wife and I are used to. In all our earlier (numerous) automatic cars, and in the current i10 Automatic as well, the moment you release your foot from the brake pedal the car starts rolling forward. In order to inch forward in traffic, you have to release the brake very slightly. The feel of the gearbox in the Ford Fiesta is different. I am not sure how it will behave in heavy traffic when you are inching forward.
- Some fairly petty things, such as a floor mat for the boot, are optional extras.

Nevertheless, overall my wife is pleased with the Ford Fiesta Automatic ! Inshallah, we will buy one.
benu9714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2012, 12:39   #137
BHPian

Ford US has issued a few Technical Service Bulletins for the DCT transmission in Focus and Fiesta - apparently, the focus on FE has compromised smooth shifting in some heavy traffic urban situations.

Google 'DCT Ford Issue' for a wealth of information. One typical search result:

Ford rushes to fix gearbox problems, but not quickly enough for Consumer Reports

Has Ford India reprogrammed the TCM?
d_himan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2012, 18:13   #138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
If Ford claims 240000 kms 10 years life for the sealed AT box then it effectively should give a 10 year warranty for it.

Also what after 10 years - The poor soul who has to replace the box (sealed box normally implies replacement at the end of the period? like in a sealed battery?). the cost of the relacement box after 10 years could closely match the possible 1.5L market price of the whole car then.
Could you please shed more light on this post.

A relative of mine is looking for a petrol sedan. Though he is more bent over a manual transmission, i am pushing him to go for a auto tranny owing to its comfort in a clogged city like Bangalore. He seems to like the Fiesta over Honda City as he feels the latter is way too common.

Coming to my question, what exactly is the life span of this AT box ? Is it like it needs to be replaced at the end of it ?
karty_83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2012, 01:18   #139
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karty_83 View Post
Could you please shed more light on this post.

A relative of mine is looking for a petrol sedan. Though he is more bent over a manual transmission, i am pushing him to go for a auto tranny owing to its comfort in a clogged city like Bangalore. He seems to like the Fiesta over Honda City as he feels the latter is way too common.

Coming to my question, what exactly is the life span of this AT box ? Is it like it needs to be replaced at the end of it ?
Sorry about the confusion due to my previous post. Was just stating a fact rather than implying any thing -ve. What I meant was that though 10 years is a fair bit of time, and the AT box warranty for 10 years should be fine, it also implies that after 10 years if something does go wrong with the AT Box one would be replacing it and it would cost about 1.5 L to make the change at that point of time which would rougly also possibly equal the resale price of the vehicle after 10 years.

But that need not be a reason to not buy the vehicle - that ford is giving the AT box a 10 year life span is great, many skoda / VW DSG box have been known to fail in just 2-4 years with less than 70,000 kms on the odo.
ACM is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2013, 00:09   #140
BHPian

Considering a AT, Petrol will do, at the moment 15+ just for a D heart is a no go. The Fiesta AT looks okay in all angles. Except for 2 important ones.
1. The gorund clearance is 158 that is 2 mm lower than the ANHC (pre face lift). I own this one and it hits almost everywhere. It seems it rather looks for a opportunity to kiss the road. Now 2 mm less gives me gitters. One of the reasons why the City will not be replaced with another City is GC (even with the new 165). But then if the suspension is harder then the net effect GC (or the GC feel) will be different. Any one here has experience with the the Fiesta AT's GC? Its a crucial make of break point
2. With the Ecosport into the frame (I know its a sub 4 M and lacks the boot space that the Fiesta offers), will that have this powershift too? If yes, I am fine to sacrifice some boot space for it
man_and_machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2013, 08:48   #141
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_and_machine View Post
Considering a AT, Petrol will do, at the moment 15+ just for a D heart is a no go. The Fiesta AT looks okay in all angles. Except for 2 important ones.
1. The gorund clearance is 158 that is 2 mm lower than the ANHC (pre face lift). I own this one and it hits almost everywhere. It seems it rather looks for a opportunity to kiss the road. Now 2 mm less gives me gitters. One of the reasons why the City will not be replaced with another City is GC (even with the new 165). But then if the suspension is harder then the net effect GC (or the GC feel) will be different. Any one here has experience with the the Fiesta AT's GC? Its a crucial make of break point
I have 12,000 kms on the AT Fiesta, and have never scraped bottom, even on non-roads and big speed breakers. This is with a payload of two passengers and some luggage.

I believe the suspension has a crucial role to play in this. Fiesta AT has a relatively firm suspension, so it does not bottom out so easily.
Kamen_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2013, 22:55   #142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
[*]L Mode : Is pointless for use within the city. As mentioned earlier, "L" will choose the lowest possible gear at the current engine speed. Thus, at 40 kph, the Fiesta's gearbox is still in 1st. Not only will it guzzle fuel, but also the engine is annoyingly loud at high rpms. Under normal driving conditions, avoid L mode which will only upshift between the 5,800 - 6,400 rpm range (varies from gear to gear). Plus, the upshift & downshift quality in L mode are a lot more aggressive & jerky.[/list]
Can anyone enlighten me regarding the differences between the S mode in a VW DSG and the L mode in the FORD DCT ?

As far as i read in the net and with a few you tube videos explaining the working of these dual clutch transmissions, both these modes upshift only on redlining.

Is there any other difference to say that the S mode in VW DSG is better than the L mode in FORD DCT in a utilitarian point of view ?
drpudhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2013, 15:02   #143
Senior - BHPian

I test-drove Fiesta AT yesterday, as I am considering buying an automatic due to some injury on my left shoulder.
I want a car that is small (convenient only for two people) and has as many safety features as money can buy.
Like my Palio, it should remain rattle-free for many years, should have excellent steering feedback, and a composed ride.
It should also be sold in Europe, as I believe that such cars are designed with emphasis on safety.

Since the Fiesta AT (especially the Style trim) fits my requirement almost perfectly (exept my budget), I thought of going for it. What I loved about the car are:
1. ESP as standard in both variants (Style, Titanium +). In fact, there is no difference in safety features of both variants
2. cheapest car in India with dual clutch transmission
3. exterior and interior looks, material quality, fit and finish
4. responsive gearbox

I felt that it would have been nice if the car had paddle shifts or manual option, but I guess we are asking too much for the price we pay.

After the test drive, I had pretty much finalised that Style is my choice (because I don't want bluetooth or voice command), and then I saw the brochure.
USB is not offered in Style variant!!
I was so furious and upset that I asked the SA whether I should spend another 60,000 Rs on Titanium+ only for USB (Style is 11.4L Rs on road and Titanium+ is 12L Rs on road in Bangalore).
I also told him that in the last 4.5 years with my Palio, I have used CD two or three times, radio once or twice, and I have never used aux-in because I don't have any device to connect to it.
USB is my only source of music.

I told the SA that I will wait for Polo TSI and then decide.
rohanjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2013, 11:05   #144
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
Since the Fiesta AT (especially the Style trim) fits my requirement almost perfectly (exept my budget), I thought of going for it. What I loved about the car are:
1. ESP as standard in both variants (Style, Titanium +). In fact, there is no difference in safety features of both variants
After the test drive, I had pretty much finalised that Style is my choice (because I don't want bluetooth or voice command), and then I saw the brochure.
USB is not offered in Style variant!!
I was so furious and upset that I asked the SA whether I should spend another 60,000 Rs on Titanium+ only for USB (Style is 11.4L Rs on road and Titanium+ is 12L Rs on road in Bangalore).
I also told him that in the last 4.5 years with my Palio, I have used CD two or three times, radio once or twice, and I have never used aux-in because I don't have any device to connect to it.
USB is my only source of music.

Get the Titanium+ - Bluetooth is really good to have and adds safety to calls taken in the car. Also one may need to use it for voice guidance when one is asking someone for directions on the phone to get to a specific place. It is finally just 5% more, besides USB is essential for you.
ACM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2013, 02:52   #145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
I test-drove Fiesta AT yesterday
I was so furious and upset that I asked the SA whether I should spend another 60,000 Rs on Titanium+ only for USB (Style is 11.4L Rs on road and Titanium+ is 12L Rs on road in Bangalore.
I agree that at this price the car should come with a USB port but its not just the Bluetooth and the voice activation features , the Titanium+ variant also has leather seats , alloy wheels , electrically fold-able mirrors and better interior/exterior trim garnishes which I feel justifies the price difference to some extent.

But ya after reading the "TEAM-BHP" official review of Volkswagen Polo 1.2 TSi , I think that if it is priced reasonably then it can be an excellent option given that both the cars may be short on space but are great on driving thrills. What the Polo looses in handling department to the Fiesta , it gains it back in the performance department. It has USB port too
fuelinmyveins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2013, 07:43   #146
BHPian

Default Ford Fiesta Automatic production stooped. True (Y/N)

Let me start of by saying I booked a VW polo TSi auto, but due to the drastically long wait periods I started looking at other options. Urgency is critical as my slip disk is acting up again.
Called around all the ford dealers in BLR and my dad called all the dealers in my home town. Same answer, Ford has stopped making the auto box. One can however be ordered and will take about 7-9 months to be delivered (that too was a guesstimate).

Only 1 dealer had 2012 model that was the base model.

The question I had from the experts was if they have heard that Ford has stopped or limited the production of the automatic fiesta.

Would probably make sense as they are focusing on the EcoSport.

Last edited by GTO : 27th August 2013 at 14:19. Reason: corrected spelling
stumpz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2013, 10:01   #147
BHPian

Well even the Ecosport AT has wait period of 7-9 months.
adi_petrolhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2013, 13:27   #148
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Ford Fiesta Automatic production stooped. True (Y/N)

Don't think the production is stopped. It is a slow selling model, hence no dealer might be stocking the AT's.

To get a better response & perspective, would suggest visiting the dealer. You would come to a conclusion then.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2013, 14:50   #149
BHPian

Default Re: Ford Fiesta Automatic production stooped. True (Y/N)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumpz View Post
Let me start of by saying I booked a VW polo TSi auto, but due to the drastically long wait periods I started looking at other options. Urgency is critical as my slip disk is acting up again.
Called around all the ford dealers in BLR and my dad called all the dealers in my home town. Same answer, Ford has stopped making the auto box. One can however be ordered and will take about 7-9 months to be delivered (that too was a guestimate).

The question I had from the experts was if they have heard that Ford has stopped or limited the production of the automatic fiesta.

No the production is not stopped officially. But, AFAIK, no new models have been made recently. Some of the bombay dealers were claiming that they have a 2013 model A/T, but I haven't verified it.
Here are some of the options for you:

1. Go to the dealers and ask them how long will it take for a new 2013 model. For me, it was 7 days..but that was a year back when the ecosport phenomenon had not gripped the country.

2. Even if the particular dealer doesn't have a A/T in stock, you can ask them to inquire with other dealerships in the country. It is more likely that you may get a 2012 unsold model from some dealer from some corner of the country.

3. If there is indeed no such model available in the entire country, then look for other options like city A/T, sunny/scala A/T, rapid/vento A/T etc. All are decent sedans.

4. Scout for second hand options.

Thanks,
Simple_car

EDIT: Just happen to know that there is some exchange carnival going on in ford. I unfortunately not being able to post the link due to team-bhp rules. However, I am pasting something for your help: write to Binyl Koshy(Corporate Sales Manager, South) - binylkos@ford.com for more details.
The promotion says that you can save upto 1.12 lacs on the fiesta (model not specified).

Last edited by Simple_car : 24th August 2013 at 14:56.
Simple_car is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2013, 15:18   #150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumpz View Post
Called around all the ford dealers in BLR and my dad called all the dealers in my home town. Same answer, Ford has stopped making the auto box. One can however be ordered and will take about 7-9 months to be delivered (that too was a guestimate).

If u saw the autocar show recently ford is planning to bring the new facelift firsta in 2014 beginning so this could be the reason and as it is the new fiesta hardly sells

Its preparation for new launch and existing inventory clearance and also utilizing the capacity for ecosport production
namit is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote