Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 16th November 2011, 00:14   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Ford Fiesta (Automatic) : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The Ford Fiesta (Powershift) Automatic will be launched later this year.
Thanks for a nice review. The video was good and the technical details made us understand the system better. team-bhp should be the only website where such details will be covered I guess.

1. Is there an ARAI FE rating for this car? Unless they prominently display the [assumingly better than manual version] FE figures in ads the automatic may not sell much.

2. Now is there any additional equipment provided in the Auto version of the Fiesta? I doubt whether I saw the same leather seats in the manual version.

3. How much more do you expect the price of the AT to be around - 1 lakh?

And again the global models ONLY launch of Ford could hurt their Indian operations. I know of a PC manufaturer who was so adamant to bring in their "order to manufacture" global strategy to India but finally realized it NEVER worked out for them and later introduced retail outlets to gain No.1 position. The reason why Fiesta is NOT selling much is majorly because of over-optimistic pricing. If they are willing to correct it by around a lakh, they might start selling that many units which will make sense for a diesel AT!
swiftnfurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2011, 11:21   #32
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvi86 View Post
They have positioned the Fiesta in a higher price bracket than what it should have been and it is really going to hurt them badly. If Ford has taken a conscious decision and are content with the current volumes of the car, then it is acceptable. But I doubt that is the case here. Also, they should have really bought the DCT with the diesel engine. That would have been a deadly combination and coupled with the car's segment-best handling, would have made the Fiesta "the best" car in its segment.
So True. I guess they were worried about the top end Diesel going into Civic and Altis territory in terms of price. This has been believed to be a reason for even the Swift not having the top spec diesel and petrol with the same feature set. (Diesel loosing out). Something many manufacturers do..

But yes I guess the Fiesta required to price the vehicle better to start. Currently it already is on a Rs. 75,000 discount that can be adjusted against, Free Insurance, Free Accessories, Added Exchange Bonus, EMI Holiday - any 2 of these 4.

It would have been better to have a price lower by 50-100K rather than do it in this manner. We can guess that they are now trapped due to the price that they have already launched at and had expected better response at the present price point. They in someways made the same error last time as well and have kept giving fantastic offers (special editions) through the last 4 years to sustain the Fiesta (presently Classic) sales.
ACM is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2011, 12:33   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
So True. I guess they were worried about the top end Diesel going into Civic and Altis territory in terms of price. This has been believed to be a reason for even the Swift not having the top spec diesel and petrol with the same feature set. (Diesel loosing out). Something many manufacturers do..
OT - AFAIK, the new diesel swift (top spec ZDi) has all the features that the petrol has (ZXi). It was the older model which followed low spec top end diesel version.
sids911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2011, 12:40   #34
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sids911 View Post
OT - AFAIK, the new diesel swift (top spec ZDi) has all the features that the petrol has (ZXi). It was the older model which followed low spec top end diesel version.
Yep was referring to the older one specifically. - Should have mentioned that.
ACM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2011, 13:24   #35
BHPian

I think I actually prefer this gearbox style with the D<=>L option. It's sort of a manual, in a way.

Drive in D normally, then when you want the power boost, where in a manual you would downshift to second or third (depending on your speed), in this you slot it down to L.
Once you're done with the fun, where in a regular manual you'd go back to fourth or fifth gear, here you shift it back into D. It's almost the same thing as a manual, with the convenience of an automatic.

It's perfect!
kadanaJ is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2011, 13:53   #36
Senior - BHPian

Why have they given only D and L? Doesn't it rob the flexibility for the driver to engage the upper gear limit?
srishiva is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2011, 14:08   #37
BHPian

Ford shot themselves on the foot by pricing the MT so high that they will end up pricing the AT higher and will result in dismal sales. A good car hampered by poor pricing.

I only hope that the sedan is priced this high because they can accommodate the Fiesta hatch below this price point as and when Ford launches it.
chennai-indian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2011, 15:20   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Why have they given only D and L? Doesn't it rob the flexibility for the driver to engage the upper gear limit?
D & L caters to two different driving styles from what I read.

D for the FE conscious driver where the gear shift happens at the optimal rpms [1500 - 2000 rpms].L for the enthusiastic drivers who likes to red line in all gears. I guess this itself covers most of the people's needs.

I basically would have preferred a paddle shifter where I can choose when to shift gears.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2011, 19:03   #39
BHPian

Excellent review there as usual GTO.
The new Fiesta sedan hasn't set the sales chart on fire. In fact the Fiesta classic is doing much better. Hope the auto transmission improves their numbers soon.
rahul_9327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2011, 19:32   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Full marks to Ford for bringing in a dual clutch gearbox in this segment of cars, and equally important, the electronic stability program too.
GTO, is the ESP a new addition to the AT, or it was there in the MT variants as well?
And any idea if the add-ons like leather seats will get into the existing MT top-end as well?
vb-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2011, 15:14   #41
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvi86 View Post
Just like Tata did with the Aria, they have positioned the Fiesta in a higher price bracket than what it should have been and it is really going to hurt them badly.
So true, one can indeed draw similarities between the Aria & Fiesta. Neither of them will start moving from showrooms unless there is a significant price cut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Is there an ARAI FE rating for this car?
Not yet disclosed, but will be soon.

Quote:
How much more do you expect the price of the AT to be around - 1 lakh?
I sure hope it's not a lakh over & above the MT's current pricing. Ideally, the MT goes down by a lakh, and the AT enters where the MT currently sits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
GTO, is the ESP a new addition to the AT, or it was there in the MT variants as well?
The ESP is on the AT only (AFAIK). However, I remember Overdrive mentioning that their MT Fiesta test-car had ESP as well.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2011, 15:44   #42
BHPian

Its great to see Ford bring in segment-firsts like DCT/ESP/Hill Hold Control/Cruise Control. However, once you have given so much, WHY compromise on the basics like poor plastics, downmarket interiors, etc. An external hinge on the rear armrest, what were they even thinking! Give it a revamp, plush-en those interiors, put in better grade plastics and do a Honda City/Jazz on the prices, the car will fly off the shelves, not-so-quick engine notwithstanding. Don't kill such a wonderful product, Ford.
rednikhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2011, 17:58   #43
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I sure hope it's not a lakh over & above the MT's current pricing. Ideally, the MT goes down by a lakh, and the AT enters where the MT currently sits.
The official discount for the petrol is 75 K. With F&F (Ford family & friends), the discount goes upto 100 K already. Seems that the AT will be priced at the current Titanium + price (after the discount).

Quote:
The ESP is on the AT only (AFAIK). However, I remember Overdrive mentioning that their MT Fiesta test-car had ESP as well.
I also remember reading it somewhere, where the test driver had specifically mentioned the ESP kicking-in on one of his adventurous moves. I had asked fellow Tbhpian Mustang about it and his answer was that the MT did not have the ESP. I hope the MT comes with the ESP too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang.101 View Post
Not in India. It comes with ESP in the US i think. All UK models have ESP.
MAS is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2011, 19:34   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The material given to us made specific mention of a Fiesta AT variant with steel wheels. Does that hint toward the AT being offered in a lower trim level as well? Yep.
Logic would dictate so. Ford would not find any takers for a fully loaded AT, if that were the only option available. A mid level Fiesta AT would not be a bad option for folks tired of their stick shifts but still want to experience the sheer joy of driving the Fiesta. All that with not much of a drop in FE to boot.
MaserQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2011, 21:08   #45
Senior - BHPian

Thank God for Ford India's first automatic in the sedan section (the Endevour already has an autobox). Ford seems to learn its lessons a tad late. Having tasted success with the Figo, the Fiesta was the car to aggressively get a chunk out of the pie shared by others. Instead,it chooses to overprice a brilliant looking (and performing) product and loose the plot there too. They had and still have a chance to introduce a Diesel A/t option in the class (presently only the Verna has a diesel mated to an auto box and i know of a lot of people who have opted fot this car just for its diesel + a/t option)

I simply dont understand how so many companies spending millions of top dollars on surveys and researches still fail to see the light. Any car with a diesel + a/t option is going to have its cash registers ringing heavily. We have seen what bookings the fluidic Verna has managed. Im told a sizeable amount of these bookings are with the A/T option. Vento, SX4, Rapid are all contenders but depends who is going to wake up first. IMHO, any company with a diesel hatch which introduces an a/t version will make a killing. Are you listening, Ford(Figo) Hyundai (i20), Tata (Indica- the 90 bhp Manza engine by Fiat with a VGT and an auto box), VW (Polo), Fiat (Punto) Maruti (Swift, Ritz)

Somebody wake up please!!
V-16 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote