Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 18th November 2011, 08:42   #46
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Ford Fiesta (Automatic) : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I sure hope it's not a lakh over & above the MT's current pricing.

Ideally, the MT goes down by a lakh, and the AT enters where the MT currently sits.
That would have been the ideal launch pad for the Fiesta from day one. Just look at the Skoda Rapid, a mid-spec petrol auto @ 8.xx ex-showroom.

After all that it would have been nice to have a Auto for the diesel. Again opportunity missed.
kiku007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2011, 13:19   #47
BHPian

Good to see the Fiesta AT, but could be too expensive.

The L mode seems similar to S mode in the ANHC, which also upshifts at the max RPM. However, teh paddles make the S mode more useful and fun to drive in the ANHC. Absence of that makes the L mode almost useless I guess.
Bh.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2011, 13:51   #48
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Great review by GTO. Good to see Fiesta entering into AT market, but before that let them do something to move out the existing ANF cars and position this to the customers.
As said, pricing is very important and the opportunity of diesel motor is surely missed.
RGK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2011, 14:08   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bh.P View Post
Good to see the Fiesta AT, but could be too expensive.

The L mode seems similar to S mode in the ANHC, which also upshifts at the max RPM. However, teh paddles make the S mode more useful and fun to drive in the ANHC. Absence of that makes the L mode almost useless I guess.
S mode in Honda City has two stages.
  • Normal S- car holds to a gear for longer then in D but shifts much before redlining
  • S with paddle-shift- Car upshifts only at redline
Guna is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2011, 18:17   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So true, one can indeed draw similarities between the Aria & Fiesta. Neither of them will start moving from showrooms unless there is a significant price cut.
While we all realize what's wrong and what needs to be done, the companies, though they know and understand that 'price' is the stumbling block, are reluctant to shave off the list prices and start seeing these cars flying off the showrooms. That makes me conclude that Ford (and Tata too for the Aria) never planned big volumes for the Fiesta and are content with the numbers that they are doing.
arvi86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2011, 19:17   #51
Senior - BHPian

Oops, I took four days to read the Fiesta AT review. But it has been worth the wait. Ah, great review GTO. Just precise and crisp as usual. The explaination of the various modes made it all the more interesting.
Quote:
However, I found this error, which surprisingly no other bhp-ian seems to have noticed! The engine specs given for the Verna AT is that of the 1.6 Petrol, while Verna's AT is coupled with its punchy 1.6 CRDi motor. Oversight corrected and the image attached with my post. GTO, pls add this image in place of the original image in the review

Ford Fiesta (Automatic) : Test Drive & Review-fiesta-comparo-.jpg
aravind.anand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2011, 15:56   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
However, I found this error, which surprisingly no other bhp-ian seems to have noticed! The engine specs given for the Verna AT is that of the 1.6 Petrol, while Verna's AT is coupled with its punchy 1.6 CRDi motor. Oversight corrected and the image attached with my post. GTO, pls add this image in place of the original image in the review

Attachment 844295
Isn't the Verna A/T also available in petrol?
I believe that GTO wanted to have an apple-apple comparo by including the Verna Petrol A/T and not the CRDi A/T.

I personally wish we can see a few diesel A/T cars coming in soon. Don't understand what's holding manufacturers back.
lamborghini is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2011, 16:17   #53
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
Oops, I took four days to read the Fiesta AT review. But it has been worth the wait. Ah, great review GTO. Just precise and crisp as usual. The explaination of the various modes made it all the more interesting.

Attachment 844295
The AT is available in the Petrol 1.6 also. GTO didn't add the diesel as the Verna is the only diesel AT available in the segment.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2011, 10:15   #54
BHPian

Great review, as usual. It seems that this auto is a bit weird, as far as its split personality modes are concerned. The D mode will be, well, sluggish while the L mode will rev the nuts and bolts off the engine in every gear, emptying the tank in record time and eventually reducing the owner to a state of abject poverty.
There should have been a better balanced S mode, like the Honda City automatic.
amitg79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2011, 12:28   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitg79 View Post
There should have been a better balanced S mode, like the Honda City automatic.
Saw some reviews over the week-end on TV etc. Read in one of those reviews that using the "hill descent feature" is equivalent to using "S" mode as the gears hold longer.
risga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2011, 16:49   #56
BHPian

Could be a game changer for Fiesta. One of the main reasons (when I ask around) for an AT not being considered (while all love it for the ease) is the Fuel Eco. If the DCT can address it then it should be the game changer. BUT! interiors and price and no where close the Honda City! Fix that the see the Fiesta fly on the new DCT!
man_and_machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2011, 22:08   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
This gearbox is not going to be offered with the Fiesta diesel. A pity really, and a truly missed opportunity.
Could the torque rating of the diesel have anything to do with it?

Quote:
[center]
Noteworthy Omission:
  • I wish the Fiesta AT had paddle-shift controls, or even a tiptronic.
    I'd have preferred a "Gear Indicator". As an enthusiast, I always like to know which gear my car is currently driving in.
    Sealed-for-life : This 6-speed transmission is sealed for life and, Ford claims, is zero maintenance. It doesn't even require any change of transmission fluid throughout its stipulated 10 year / 240,000 kms lifespan.
Re paddle shift and gear indicator, one must ask both engineers and marketing people for the thinking behind it. Since there is hardly any cost implication.

What life does Ford expect of the clutches? And is there a way of checking oil levels? And adding oil?
What about 'child parts'?!

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2011, 02:51   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
This makes no sense to me! (Is this being confused with "neutral idle"?)

Why on earth would they (or any dual-clutch transmission) disengage when coasting down?

Its worse for fuel-efficiency*, and the driver is less in control. I can't really think of a single advantage... Will have to look this up!
They do it for FE
1. Less fuel consumed because the engine is back to idle rather than buzzing at high rpm. So the driver will feel that the car more 'coasty' and will let off the gas sooner. Downside is no engine braking for panic stop. (unless there's an algorithm that can detect panic stop and keep the clutch engaged)

Also, 'If' it had a hybrid motor attached to the transmission, then it would absorb energy from deceleration while the engine is out of the picture.

Last edited by Mpower : 22nd November 2011 at 02:52.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2011, 10:59   #59
BHPian

Thats great news! Hope the FORD does not price it very high like the other auto makers, as they have a very large auto transmission car user customer base in US. Also the car buyers should be educated about the auto transmission vehicles. Everyone thinks they are very less fuel efficient. There is hardly 1-3 kms fuel efficiency difference between the manual & automatics. Every car model should have an auto variant.
wartikars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2011, 12:09   #60
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
They do it for FE
Wouldn't DFCO be more fuel efficient than idling and coasting?

Well, i guess that really depends on the duration of not being on the gas, and conditions (freeway vs city).

Quote:
So the driver will feel that the car more 'coasty' and will let off the gas sooner.
But the car doesn't become 'coasty' until after the driver lets off the gas!

Quote:
Also, 'If' it had a hybrid motor attached to the transmission, then it would absorb energy from deceleration while the engine is out of the picture.
Thats a good point, though it doesn't apply to the Fiesta.

Also, i'd still wonder - would it be more fuel efficient to :
1) Keep the engine engaged (DCFO) rather than idle in addition to running the hybrid generator?
2) Run the engine at idle while the hybrid motor is run?

cya
R
Rehaan is offline   Reply With Quote