Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 23rd March 2012, 14:33   #106
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Ford Fiesta (Automatic) : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by risga View Post
The AT does not have pre-fixed RPMs at which the gears change. Its totally dependent on driving style. If you drive with a light foot, gears change at lower RPMs. If you floor the throttle, gears change at higher RPMs.
None of the newer ATs have fixed shift points, the DSG in my Laura upshifts anywhere between 1300-4500rpm depending on my input, over the time automatics have become smarter. Even in the S mode, the DSG(Laura) does not necessarily over revv the engine, at times it shifts quite early unlike the L Mode in Fiesta DSG.

Cannot say if the above holds true for vintage(currently on sale) Autoboxes by Hyundai, Maruti and Toyota(Fortuner).
.anshuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2012, 14:38   #107
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I am talking about the Fiesta AT here. The fact that theer are downshifts shows that there are some shift points also defined, i.e. and improved CVT!
Sir the Fiesta AT has a dual clutch tranny and not a CVT.
Akshay1234 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2012, 14:40   #108
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post

I am talking about the Fiesta AT here. The fact that theer are downshifts shows that there are some shift points also defined, i.e. and improved CVT!
I'm confused as to how CVT's figure in this discussion? The Fiesta AT is not a CVT, it is a dual clutch auto box. In short it works like a normal manual gearbox with 2 clutches. No torque converter, no CVT just regular clutch type AT box.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2012, 15:53   #109
Distinguished - BHPian

@Vid6639 & akshay1234; Someone brought up a CVT and we all went haywire. The only thing to see here will be the reliability of the Dual Clutch, looking at the number of failure reported on the Skoda DSG, and of course the subsequent hassles.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2012, 09:25   #110
Distinguished - BHPian

Autocar India's comparison report - Fiesta DCT v/s City AT:

Dumping the clutch: City AT vs Fiesta AT - Feature - Autocar India
vb-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2012, 12:01   #111
Distinguished - BHPian

Saw that. I was not too impressed by the report, which in any case was too close. I think it i sone of the bad ones in ACI.

I will still go for the Honda for the long term reliability, service quality and spares costs. Fords have been notorious for their spare prices. Also, I hope Ford are able to provide even 50% of the quality of Honda service.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2012, 23:34   #112
BHPian

I test drove Fiesta AT last week-end and was really surprised with its performance !!!
Good or Bad?? Please read-on

Mind you I did back to back test drive of City AT as well, so this is compartive review.

Interior -
No-one really stands out , specially if I compare with my C segment Cedia.
But then if I compare plastic quality, seats and overall fit and finish then city is definetly notch above fiesta.
Rea seat comforat is really compromised in Fiesta, hardly any space if driver seat is pushed all the way back.

But one thing is in favour of Fiesta - its Gadgetry

I think all this is already discussed in different threads, so nothing really surprising.

So lets come straight to the Drive -

Talking about Dual Clutch -

I felt all this is way too hyped. I mean there was nothing special about the drive / perfromance with this dual clutch compared to City.
I dont know how good Ford is with this technology, but City gear shifter works almost fine with very minimal difference.

Surely Fiesta has edge with up-shift, but then it is definetly not a game changer in the C segment.

Drive Mode -
There seems to be huge turbo lag with fiesta AT (I mean very huge, almost till 2800-3000 rpm) and it was so much evident that initially I felt if this Petrol or Diesel. Seriously !!
City seems more torquier, although I havent compared specs of both the cars.

So driving in city traffic with Fiesta is really a pain.

But once we go past this initial lag, car seems to be ready for more thanks to 6 spear gear box, only if you are ready to press the padel very hard.

City comparitevly much linear and consistent with acceleration. Nothing really fancy.

L mode (Fiesta) vs S mode (City) -
So we all know, fiesta will just simply redline in L mode and this seems fine till say 4500 rpm, but beyond that you just feel like this is burning gas with no acceleration.

And this sales guy sitting next to me was explaining, L mode will give you sports car like sound and performance :-)

Now if you are really in spiritied mode, you will still be fine with this, but downshift - seemed very wired.
So there was time during TD when AT box shifted from 3rd to 4th gear (didn't recall speedo reading) after revving it all the way till 5500 rpm, so in 4th tacho was back to 3500-4000 rpm and I was moving gentely sensing traffic ahead. But then as soon as I pressed break paddle (mind you not very hard) car just switched back to 3rd in notime and it was revving back to 5000+ rpm (typically I would keep it in 4th gear with manual).
Not sure, if AT box, based on my hard driving style doing this downshift or this was expected in L mode??
Now compared this with City S mode, nothing very special, but seems adequate for those overtaking situations.
Also peddle shift can also comes handy, but then not sure how much practical this would be.

Suspension -
I test drove brand new Fiesta AT (just 30 km on the display), but I felt suspension was very soft. Nothing really bad, but you would expect much better from New TD vehicle. Honda again has edge over Fiesta in this department.

By the time I was finishing my test drive, I remembered other thread on the forum "Why we don't buy Automatic" or something like that.

So if you really want to enjoy your drive and you are one of those enthusiasts then AT isn't your best bet.
And with this Fiesta AT this isn't even good for City traffic also (my personal opinion).
Specially after driving Cedia for past 5 years, surely not for me.

Overally City may not be thé best (I havent TDed other AT cars so can't say that) but still much better compared with Fiesta.

No offense to any of the fiesta AT owners or even prospective owners. But after following this thread for so many days, I was hoping for much more in this car.
So my recommendation would be, test drive Fiesta along with City (back to back) or may be with Rapid / Vento (Verna is anyways out thanks to the mediocre 4 speed auto box) before you decide.

On the flip side, I do like the looks of fiesta. For me after Verna, Fiesta is best looker in its segment.
But then thats my personal opinion.

Last edited by vishaltanksale : 4th April 2012 at 23:46.
vishaltanksale is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2012, 07:45   #113
Team-BHP Support

Good first-hand account, Vishal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishaltanksale View Post

I felt all this is way too hyped. I mean there was nothing special about the drive / perfromance with this dual clutch compared to City.
I dont know how good Ford is with this technology, but City gear shifter works almost fine with very minimal difference.
Not disputing your experience but did you try some kickdowns on the highway? The dual-clutch trannies are significantly superior in such situation than the old-school torque convertors.

Quote:
Drive Mode -
There seems to be huge turbo lag with fiesta AT (I mean very huge, almost till 2800-3000 rpm) and it was so much evident that initially I felt if this Petrol or Diesel. Seriously !!
The petrol Fiesta that you drove is naturally aspirated, NOT a turbo. But I think I get what you are saying. This is an extract from rehaan's review of the petrol (manual transmission) Fiesta:

Quote:
The Duratec Ti-VCT (Twin Independent Variable Camshaft Timing) has an output of 108 BHP @ 6045 RPM and 140 Nm of torque @ 4500 RPM. It redlines at 6,000 RPM and has an 11.1 compression ratio.

Crank the key and you can barely hear the petrol start up. The NVH (noise, vibration, harshness) of the cabin is well controlled. Even though the petrol is not full of torque below 2,000 RPM, it never feels like its struggling with the load. The petrol only really starts to respond past 2,200 RPM. Slamming your foot to the floor before that will do absolutely nothing. Expect to work the gearbox a lot to get the maximum out of the engine, especially when overtaking.

The new 1.5 petrol just doesn’t have the low-down torque to match the old 1.6 engine. Below 3,000 RPM, there’s no contest.
The parts I have highlighted in bold may explain why you felt that way. Especially since Ford goofed up big time by not giving a tiptronic/paddleshift for manual up/downshifting.
Quote:
So we all know, fiesta will just simply redline in L mode and this seems fine till say 4500 rpm, but beyond that you just feel like this is burning gas with no acceleration.

And this sales guy sitting next to me was explaining, L mode will give you sports car like sound and performance :-)
Agree that a simple S mode would probably have more practical utility. Ford seems to have missed a trick here. Probably if they had coupled this slushbox to the (classic) Fiesta 1.6S it may have been a completely different story!
noopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2012, 08:26   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Suspension -
I test drove brand new Fiesta AT (just 30 km on the display), but I felt suspension was very soft. Nothing really bad, but you would expect much better from New TD vehicle. Honda again has edge over Fiesta in this department.
I am surprised you have mentioned this, Ford cars usually carry a stiffer suspension setup compared to the Japanese or Korean competition. In the New Fiesta, its not as stiff as the Fiesta Classic but its defenitely stiffer than the City!
anachronix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2012, 13:56   #115
BHPian

Quote:

there was nothing special about the drive / perfromance with this dual clutch compared to City.

Surely Fiesta has edge with up-shift, but then it is definetly not a game changer in the C segment.
The DSG was chosen for the Fiesta not having performance in mind but fuel efficiency. No surprises it runs 3 more kms/litre compared to the City in the city driving conditions.

Quote:
City seems more torquier, although I havent compared specs of both the cars.
The specs say the City is 1.5s faster to a ton than the Fiesta

Quote:
Not sure, if AT box, based on my hard driving style doing this downshift or this was expected in L mode??
Now compared this with City S mode, nothing very special, but seems adequate for those overtaking situations.
Also peddle shift can also comes handy, but then not sure how much practical this would be.
The paddle shifts in Fiesta would have taken the game to a new level. Ford India's marketing ED Nigel said it was considered during the design but then dropped since the novelty of having it would soon wear off and it takes the car's price off the targeted price bracket as mentioned in the Fiesta @ BIC thread

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...l-circuit.html (Driving the Ford Fiesta dual-clutch Automatic on the Buddh International Circuit)

Quote:

Suspension -
Honda again has edge over Fiesta in this department.
As anachronix mentioned, the stiffer ones are the Fiesta's and although you feel Honda's ones are better, it is Fiesta's setup that works perfectly with the chassis and steering and define what is totally needed for driving pleasure called "handling".
vvijay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2012, 15:38   #116
BHPian

Just saw review of Fiesta At on Times Drive. Very similar to what I mentioned. Just lacks power delivery on lower RPMs, big time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post

The petrol Fiesta that you drove is naturally aspirated, NOT a turbo.
My Bad. Been thinking about Laura for a while so everything is compared on Turbo. But seriously this thing for some reason gets all the power around 3000 rpm like a turbo drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
The parts I have highlighted in bold may explain why you felt that way. Especially since Ford goofed up big time by not giving a tiptronic/paddleshift for manual up/downshifting.
Agree. But don't think would have made much difference to the sluggish AT box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvijay View Post
The DSG was chosen for the Fiesta not having performance in mind but fuel efficiency. No surprises it runs 3 more kms/litre compared to the City in the city driving conditions.
But at what cost? definitely no no for me.

Last edited by vishaltanksale : 7th April 2012 at 15:41.
vishaltanksale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2012, 10:36   #117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvijay View Post
I thought the difference was just under a km per litre in town. And on the highway the Honda City has the edge.
The Autocar comparison gives details.
wilful is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2012, 19:23   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilful View Post
I thought the difference was just under a km per litre in town. And on the highway the Honda City has the edge.
The Autocar comparison gives details.
This piece of information is from Overdrive of this month. Ran through the full website of Overdrive for the link of comparison report but couldn't find one. Now am confused as to which one being more realistic. If ACI's comparison is found to be more true, then it would be my bad.
vvijay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2012, 13:44   #119
BHPian

Everyone,

Looking at the reviews, opinions and feedback, I am confused. I thought Ford Fiesta's mileage (Petrol AT) should have been around 14-15, given their advertised mileage of 16.7. This is not true? Why would anyone inflate the figures so much?

I am interested in Ford Fiesta AT and this site has been invaluable for me in collating multiple feedback. Ignoring sub-second differences in pickup, 0-100 speed and other nit pickings, does Ford Fiesta make sense (given the additional features - when compared to new Honda City)? or, there are other major items like service and spares to consider. Please assist.

Thanks and Regards.
BSD

Last edited by bsdbsd : 16th April 2012 at 13:45.
bsdbsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2012, 13:58   #120
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsdbsd View Post
Everyone,

Looking at the reviews, opinions and feedback, I am confused. I thought Ford Fiesta's mileage (Petrol AT) should have been around 14-15, given their advertised mileage of 16.7. This is not true? Why would anyone inflate the figures so much?

I am interested in Ford Fiesta AT and this site has been invaluable for me in collating multiple feedback. Ignoring sub-second differences in pickup, 0-100 speed and other nit pickings, does Ford Fiesta make sense (given the additional features - when compared to new Honda City)? or, there are other major items like service and spares to consider. Please assist.

Thanks and Regards.
BSD
Let me put it this way, if you want a diesel and nothing else will work, go for the Fiesta. Unfortunately, the AT isn't available on the diesel Fiesta.

But if you want a petrol car, the City is still the better package. It has more room on the inside than a Fiesta, it has a bigger boot, and is a more 'complete' design. I say this, because the Fiesta's rump looks like it has been forced.

The petrol Fiesta is a great buy too. But if space is priority, and if after-sales-service is of primary importance, the Honda gets my vote. In terms of handling, performance, equipment and ride, the Fiesta is a better car. Don't forget that Ford has upped their game in the after-sales-service department too.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 16th April 2012 at 14:03.
suhaas307 is offline   Reply With Quote