Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 16th April 2012, 17:03   #121
BHPian

Default Re: Ford Fiesta (Automatic) : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Let me put it this way, if you want a diesel and nothing else will work, go for the Fiesta. Unfortunately, the AT isn't available on the diesel Fiesta.

But if you want a petrol car, the City is still the better package. It has more room on the inside than a Fiesta, it has a bigger boot, and is a more 'complete' design. I say this, because the Fiesta's rump looks like it has been forced.

The petrol Fiesta is a great buy too. But if space is priority, and if after-sales-service is of primary importance, the Honda gets my vote. In terms of handling, performance, equipment and ride, the Fiesta is a better car. Don't forget that Ford has upped their game in the after-sales-service department too.
Dear suhas, thanks for the response. I want a petrol car (may be to do with my thinking that Diesels are not refined in nature and need more maintenance). I want an Automatic - no compromises on this one - as I dont want to indulge in the cluth-gear dance daily. That leaves me with Honda City, and Ford Fiesta. Other Autos in this segment are not considered due to inferior gear boxes. Your inputs have made my choices easier. My remaining significant worry is about the HCs GC. The service center guy showed me tons of cars with underbody damage. I dont want to become paranoid about speed breakers or road humps, everytime I take the car out. Any inputs from HC owners on this topic (underbody damage)?
bsdbsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2012, 17:21   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsdbsd View Post
Everyone,

Looking at the reviews, opinions and feedback, I am confused. I thought Ford Fiesta's mileage (Petrol AT) should have been around 14-15, given their advertised mileage of 16.7. This is not true? Why would anyone inflate the figures so much?

I am interested in Ford Fiesta AT and this site has been invaluable for me in collating multiple feedback. Ignoring sub-second differences in pickup, 0-100 speed and other nit pickings, does Ford Fiesta make sense (given the additional features - when compared to new Honda City)? or, there are other major items like service and spares to consider. Please assist.

Thanks and Regards.
BSD
The Fiesta scores over the city in terms of gadgets and better tyres. Buy the City if reliability is your major concern, Ford is not terrible (old horror stories get recycled). Gadgets are a big deal because once you get used to them, its hard to live without them.

Check if Ford is offering any maintenance packages, if they are not then forget it. In terms of the driver seat, Fiesta and City are quite closely matched, the steering on the Fiesta is wonderful.
avira_tk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2012, 17:57   #123
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Dear suhas, thanks for the response. I want a petrol car (may be to do with my thinking that Diesels are not refined in nature and need more maintenance). I want an Automatic - no compromises on this one - as I dont want to indulge in the cluth-gear dance daily. That leaves me with Honda City, and Ford Fiesta. ....My remaining significant worry is about the HCs GC. The service center guy showed me tons of cars with underbody damage. I dont want to become paranoid about speed breakers or road humps, everytime I take the car out. Any inputs from HC owners on this topic (underbody damage)?
I have a Civic AT supposed to be worse than City. I have had no real problems with bottoming with a bit of care. I have done the NH92 Etawah-Gwalior run which can only de described for about 20km as a 'tractorable' not Jeepable road. Also, NH75 Gwalior-Jhansi is also pretty dodgy. I didit four times in January. Nothing hairy about either.

One big thing - ground clearance as published is irrelevant. This is the lowest point of the car - invariably the bottom of steering linkages. These are between the front wheels and ride up and down with the wheel, and are therefore irrelevant. If you are really worried put in the donuts as per the thread of GTO on VFM fix for Civic... They can in fact be put in all coil springs!
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2012, 18:15   #124
BHPian

Thank you avira tk, sgiitk. In summary, I will go good on some aspects, and not so good on others in buying either. Guess I will have to find out...and need to live with the decision for the rest of my (car's) life .
Old 16th April 2012, 18:33   #125
BHPian

Quote:
Dear suhas, thanks for the response. I want a petrol car (may be to do with my thinking that Diesels are not refined in nature and need more maintenance). I want an Automatic - no compromises on this one - as I dont want to indulge in the cluth-gear dance daily. That leaves me with Honda City, and Ford Fiesta. Other Autos in this segment are not considered due to inferior gear boxes. Your inputs have made my choices easier. My remaining significant worry is about the HCs GC. The service center guy showed me tons of cars with underbody damage. I dont want to become paranoid about speed breakers or road humps, everytime I take the car out. Any inputs from HC owners on this topic (underbody damage)?
I own a 2011 Honda City and have driven it about 8000 kms already in 4 months. My observation is that the city will not scrape a bump unless you are driving with 5 on board. A bit of luggage thrown in complicates matters further. However, when driving alone (in Pune/ Mumbai/ Navi Mumbai) I have never had my city scrape a speed bump.
The 2012 version comes with an increased GC. So i'd imagine that things could only be better.
Dont let GC be a deal breaker. Look around at the sheer number of Honda Citys on the roads. If going over bumps caused it severe damage, you wouldnt find some many in pristine condition would you? Also, think about it - City has a reputation of leading a long life.
vinod332002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2012, 12:46   #126
BHPian

Cool inputs by everyone. I agree with vinod332002 when he says we wouldn't see too many HCs if GCs were to mess up things. What would it take to replace Fiesta's gadgetry? Bluetooth is a 3K job (Satechi Soundfly in Amazon). Hill hold and descent are rarely used (at least in my case). I can use my wife and kids for voice control . Steering compensation (or whatever) looks irreplaceable. Phones or iPad can be used for maps/navigation. Well...let me TD an HC. Will let you know the updates.
Old 17th April 2012, 14:42   #127
Distinguished - BHPian

I think its going a bit OT here (with the what car discussion).

Talking of Fiesta AT, I guess it presents a strong case by its drive and handling prowess, better technology (first dual-clutch AT in the segment) etc.
For me, the biggest USP is on the safety features. For e.g.; ESP is something which is missing in many cars a segment above.

Of course, there are misses as well – on rear space management, lack of paddle shifts, missing sports mode etc. But I guess the pluses slightly outweigh the negatives – just my personal take
vb-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2012, 16:08   #128
BHPian

Agree...and sorry for the digression (thread being hijacked off-track). I hope to be back on this thread with some inputs of my own.
MODS: If required, you can move the 'what car' portions to a different thread and park there.
vb-san: Observations are much appreciated.
bsdbsd is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2012, 17:00   #129
BHPian

Just visited the Ford dealership nearby. They had an AT (low end) for display only. I was surprised to find that ex-showroom price for the high-end AT is 10 lakhs, with OTR price (Bangalore) being 12,34,000 . GTO has performed an in-depth review and I dont have much to add, but here is my 2 cents. The front panel seems futuristic (really?) but weird. Ford should have stuck with conventional designs. You can't even add an after market in-dash device with navigation. Poor thinking on Ford's part. The front panel (mobile phone inspired design) awkwardly juts out of the middle of the dashboard, and does nothing but provides for media selection. Rear space is cramped. The salesman provided an interesting insight into why this might be - due to this being global model, people in other advanced countries use this model of fiesta mainly as a two passenger vehicle, with only small kids sitting behind. That explains Ford's rearseat management. The features are top class (Hill hold and descent, ESP, Boron steel construction, Bluetooth,Voice Control etc). The outside noise suppression is impressive. The steering is tilt-only, and not telescopic. The door closes in three stops and thats very nice. Honda City pales in comparison with the sophistication of this model, with Honda trying to live on with only engine performance as the USP. Unfortunately, none of them have AT TD cars. So still waiting for a call from them...
Old 20th April 2012, 21:39   #130
BHPian

I got myself a silver Ford Fiesta Automatic (Titanium) last month. While I will be sharing a full initial ownership experience on team-bhp very soon, here are my two cents on the new Fiesta:

1) The Fiesta automatic's priority is to maximize fuel economy and driving convenience in bumper to bumper traffic, and I must say the car does the job extremely well when it comes to that. I get around 10kmpl, and that should go up after the first service.

2) The 'D' mode is the only usable mode in day to day traffic. The shifts are super smooth and near zero lag at low speeds, though there is a slight lag when you try to floor it. The 'L' mode is absolutely pointless in the city - too aggressive, and the throttle input is difficult to control at crawl speeds. I have yet to test the L mode on the highway or ghats so I will reserve my opinion for now.

3) The dual clutch transmission is not without its quirks, though. Initially, in intense stop and go traffic, the car would shudder from start when releasing the brake in 'creep' mode, as if the engine is stalling. But I watched an official Ford video saying that is expected till the clutch breaks in. Sure enough, I don't feel those shudders so often now.

4) Super light steering and handling to match! Absolute delight to drive!

5) Boy, the car is a tech fest in the driver's seat - voice control, mini-LCD display unit, bluetooth connectivity, and awesome quality of the OEM entertainment system.

6) The leather seats in the Titanium version makes a huge difference in how the interiors come together. I checked out the Style variant, and then sat in the Titanium. The interior ends up feeling much more premium - I did not like the fabric seats at all!

7) The rear is not very spacious, but not cramped either. Unless you are very tall, the rear legroom should not bother you at all.

The on-road price of Rs.12.4 lakhs in Bangalore is obscene due to the high taxes, but luckily I managed to get the pre-excise price of Rs.11.8 lakhs for the leather clad Titanium version! Got the standard fitments (floor and trunk mats) and an OEM car cover from Cauvery motors.

I am in love with the new Ford Fiesta Automatic - checks all the boxes, and then some!
Kamen_rider is offline   (9) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2012, 09:41   #131
BHPian

^^ Thanks. Eagerly awaiting your full ownership report. Are you missing the in-dash navigation system? There is no place to mount such a system, though mapmyindia now lists it for Ford Fiesta (may be for classic). Check it out. The claimed mileage is 16.7 for automatic. I hope the mileage goes up once it settles in. Also, do you think this is a 4-seater?
Old 22nd April 2012, 11:55   #132
BHPian

Quote:
^^ Thanks. Eagerly awaiting your full ownership report. Are you missing the in-dash navigation system? There is no place to mount such a system, though mapmyindia now lists it for Ford Fiesta (may be for classic). Check it out. The claimed mileage is 16.7 for automatic. I hope the mileage goes up once it settles in. Also, do you think this is a 4-seater?
Thanks, will start working on the ownership report soon, am feeling a bit under the weather these days.

I don't miss the in-dash navigation system, and I am now used to the cute little LCD screen above the entertainment system I use a separate MapmyIndia Zx250 unit with a windshield mount. Had to remove it yesterday as I had 3M CR70 installed on the windshield. I doubt mapmyindia makes an in-dash NAV system for the new Fiesta. As you pointed out, it must be for the previous generation model.

The fuel efficiency is lower (than advertised) currently, but then all my driving has been in the mad Bangalore rush hour, with the Fiesta's on-board computer showing an average speed of 10kmph! But the petrol consumption should go on after the break-in, and after an optimum mix of city and freeway driving.

The rear space is not very generous, but like I said before - if 4 average sized adults sit in the car, everyone will be seated comfortably. The head restraints on the rear seats are a tad unergonomic based off initial impressions, but I need to spent more time in the rear before making an informed judgement.
Kamen_rider is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2012, 16:01   #133
BHPian

^^ Did you get a chance to pen an ownership report? Eagerly awaiting your experiences with your new Fiesta. Any improvement in mileage?
Old 19th June 2012, 21:28   #134
BHPian

Quote:
^^ Did you get a chance to pen an ownership report? Eagerly awaiting your experiences with your new Fiesta. Any improvement in mileage?
Hi! No, I was so busy with work and travel, that I did not get a chance. The mileage hasn't improved, but my first service is due in the next few days so should improve after that. I have also become more familiar with the car, so will be in a better position to offer a detailed review. So far, I absolutely love driving the car!

By the way, the plastics inside the Indian version seems superior to the US version. I wanted to take a spin in my friend's car in the US last month, but could not do so for lack for time. But had a chance to sit inside and notice some of the differences. Will write more about that when I write my ownership review in a couple of weeks or so.

Ford Fiesta (Automatic) : Test Drive & Review-dscn1610.jpg

Last edited by Kamen_rider : 19th June 2012 at 21:42. Reason: grammar
Kamen_rider is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2012, 18:15   #135
BHPian

Thank you for this really great review. I test drove the Fiesta Automatic this Monday and immediately after coming home I read this review - it made me remember things I hadnt noticed, I learned a lot about the car I hadnt before (including what dual clutch is all about) and really brought the experience alive. Kudos for a brilliant review.

My own layman's impression :

I took a TD because I like the car's looks and because it is not a common car - I am sick of seeing the City on Delhi's roads. The Verna and Vento are also becoming common cars. This one is rare but also quite smart to look at - it has a very European look despite being a Ford, the front is nice, sides and windows have a rakish angle - the back unfortunately is a bit of a fat posterior but still not that bad and the tail lamp is very distinctive and good. The paint job (I saw the White and took the TD in a red one) is better than the City in terms of richness and texture.

It is equally good inside, with a cockpit like look - very futuristic and exciting. There is a sense of a sports car in it. The ORVM are fully controllable which is a great function, much missed in my Santro. The lever system is better than the button system in the XUV.

I did not get a sense of poor quality plastic in it at all - even on the parts below the dashboard - especially since I first sat in the Ford Figo which has horrible plastic inside, worse than my Santro. My kids will probably love the front seats and futuristic dashboard. The leather seats are in black and very good quality in feel - also practical for children. My only issue was the the seat backs were too curvey and touched the back side of my arms while driving (same problem with XUV). There is no arm rest on the left side - which would have been nice.

Music system in the central console looks really good. The display is not very great - could have been better. XUV (only other car I have tested) has a brilliant display. Having cruise control and music control buttons on the steering should be a nice upgrade from my Santro.

Back seat and space are a bit on the smaller side - only slightly better than my Santro. Center seat is horrible.

The door handles are very sharp and hurt my hand - are likely to mash my kids hands innumerable times - not at all ergonomic and should be fixed by the company.

I loved the test drive. This was my first time driving an automatic and was surprised by the creep function. It is a great idea for driving in traffic. But holding the brakes down while waiting at red lights will be difficult - so one will have to shift to N and shift back to D when the lights turn green.

The car pick up had a slight lag when starting - perhaps because it was shifting gears. Apart from that the drive was very smooth. Braking is very sensitive and needs a lighter touch than manual drive.

Having the transmission markings on the left side is very irritating and company can so easily fix it by adding the markings on the right side also. Not a deal breaker though.

Overall this is a good car for a single person who is bothered mainly about making a personal statement and getting something out of the ordinary - both inside and outside. Not a great family car though.

Bottom line: I loved the car and it is still not ruled out .
Venkytalks is offline   Reply With Quote