Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 8th February 2013, 19:59   #361
Senior - BHPian

Beware! The firewall does not have adequate insulation. The shriller horn may upset you more than the outsiders.
honeybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2013, 20:12   #362
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Tata Nano : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhawald3 View Post
Has anyone tried to put a more powerful horn on Nano, can the electrical system handle it??
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Suraj View Post
Excellent question.

I too am inclined for the same.

The "peep peep" horn is too minuscule sometimes!

I will try asking my dealer when I go to fit the Autocop next.
Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
Beware! The firewall does not have adequate insulation. The shriller horn may upset you more than the outsiders.
I have added an Extra Horn apart from the stock one,and it sounds good.
Just make sure you select the suitable frequency
akshay4587 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2013, 21:18   #363
BHPian

Has anyone tried to install the rubber moulded wiper blade on nano.
Secondly does those wiper blade even exist in market for nano?
sujay bhandare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2013, 21:29   #364
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhawald3 View Post
Has anyone tried to put a more powerful horn on Nano, can the electrical system handle it??
I had once installed the horn from my octavia. It sounded preety good and the noise levels in cabin were preety much similar to the original ones.
The original harness can take the load but it will be better not to play with the original. My suggestion would be to route a separate but reliable harness.
sujay bhandare is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2013, 09:03   #365
BHPian

Hi Guys

I browsed through this thread, but could not find the answer to my question. So please don't mind if this has been discussed before.

I am looking at buying a pre-owned Nano for my wife. Many of the Nanos available in the market are pre-2012 CX versions. Is it possible to retrofit the LHS ORVM on these? I am used to having all 3 mirrors and don't want my wife to drive around with a blind spot either. Thanks in advance!
Viju is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2013, 09:30   #366
Senior - BHPian

Fitting the LHS mirror shouldn't be a technically complex job.

However please also see if you can get a 2012 model as it has a better engine and refinements.
honeybee is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2013, 18:41   #367
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viju View Post
Hi Guys

I browsed through this thread, but could not find the answer to my question. So please don't mind if this has been discussed before.

I am looking at buying a pre-owned Nano for my wife. Many of the Nanos available in the market are pre-2012 CX versions. Is it possible to retrofit the LHS ORVM on these? I am used to having all 3 mirrors and don't want my wife to drive around with a blind spot either. Thanks in advance!
LHS mirror can be fitted and it is available in market. Even Pandit Automotive is offering the mirror in accessory. But its cost is very high. I think its pricing is between 1000 to 1500 for a non painted one including full fitment.
But I would suggest, you please go for the new 2012 version. It is more refined than the earlier ones. It looks good but better than that, the engine noise levels in cabin are greatly reduced.
sujay bhandare is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2013, 14:55   #368
BHPian

Got our Nano LX special edition on Feb 9th. Gift for my wife on our marriage anniversary

I was surprised to see that there was no keyhole on the front passenger dorr and the IRVM was also a standard mirror. Sent a mail to Tata motors and this is the response i got.

"Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for writing to us.

We would like to inform you Nano special edition Lx model is not
manufactured with co driver side door lock.

Also the IRVM is standard IRVM like the Std and Nano Cx Model.

Warm Regards,

Car Product Group

Tata Motors Ltd."

Seems that they have discontinued the day/night mirror in the Nano
srj1266 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2013, 00:48   #369
BHPian

Had an accident in my friend's nano a month ago.
Was banged up from behind by a swift while waiting at a traffic jam. I, inturn, banged the corolla in front.
Result? a damaged rear bumper and front bumper.The front bonnet too took a hit and refused to open.The AC fan started giving noises under operation.
Took it to a known garage and got the fixes done for 8k. Job included front and rear bumper repair and painting(papaya orange), bonnet lock change, tinkering of the front cross member. Interestingly, the AC problem vanished once the cross member was straightened.
Realisation? The nano is a pretty strong car.The swift suffered a broken radiator and coolant tank and a cracked bumper.No injuries to occupants in both cars.
TorqMaster is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2013, 13:32   #370
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
I am too surprised with some of the queries dished out by people on the road. Never knew Nano's reputation is this bad! I always thought people stayed away from this because of the fire catch accidents.

And I am really sad that people form such opinions without even TDing the car. TATA definitely have a lot of work to do (much more than what I thought).

1. I think they should start with an ALL INDIA NANO DRIVE or something which have a vast coverage spanning villages, best roads & worst roads, hills & valleys and also market these initiatives really hard.

2. Publish the places covered with the load carried & also FE figures.

3. Go & conduct TDs in a lot of rural places. Probably go visit homes and literally force people to take a drive.

4. Probably offer some service package like GM's 3 year maintenance plan or some free petrol vouchers like Mercedes.
TATA needs to remove the 'tag' and public recollect that Nano is the cheapest car, this itself will go a long way in pushing sales. As it is, Nano is just like any other car, with equal dollops of good n bad like any other car.

We are OK with the neighbor buying and driving the cheapest car, but we ourselves wouldn't be buying or driving one

Last edited by xotiq : 2nd March 2013 at 13:34.
xotiq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2013, 23:43   #371
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srj1266 View Post
Got our Nano LX special edition on Feb 9th. Gift for my wife on our marriage anniversary

We would like to inform you Nano special edition Lx model is not
manufactured with co driver side door lock.

Also the IRVM is standard IRVM like the Std and Nano Cx Model.

Seems that they have discontinued the day/night mirror in the Nano
That's a bummer. If I were to buy the LX special edition, I would expect all the features of the LX model to be present, plus the freebies. If they are taking away the passenger door lock and a day/night mirror, it's plain cheating.

Please follow this up with TaMo, I can't believe they would be doing this.

The Nano has its engine in the rear, and so I assume its rear is appropriately beefed up to protect the engine compartment from small accidents. Also the front has almost nothing except the monocoque body behind the front bumper, so it's not surprising the Nano withstood the impact well.
honeybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2013, 09:20   #372
BHPian

There is already a report in this site and elsewhere about the refreshed 2013 Nano. I hope the refresh DEFINITELY includes the power steering. I think that is one thing, more than anything else, why folks TD the Nano but don't buy. Most people today have never driven a non-PS car, so there is always a trepidation about buying one. Just a mere cosmetic refresh, I'm afraid, will not change anything for the car.
And oh yes, a proper 3 point seat belt. I personally know of a few couples (including myself) who did not finally buy the Nano as it would have been difficult to fit a baby car seat securely enough without a 3 point seat belt.

As I said elsewhere, the motivations of passenger car buyers are different from CV ones. And I do NOT think Nano has not sold for lack of credit. Mind you, the same segment probably buys more expensive Marutis without hesitation on bank loans. So the "buy-with-credit-card" may be a good gimmick, but I doubt it will have a material impact on sales.
Contrapunto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2013, 00:38   #373
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
That's a bummer. If I were to buy the LX special edition, I would expect all the features of the LX model to be present, plus the freebies. If they are taking away the passenger door lock and a day/night mirror, it's plain cheating.

Please follow this up with TaMo, I can't believe they would be doing this.

The Nano has its engine in the rear, and so I assume its rear is appropriately beefed up to protect the engine compartment from small accidents. Also the front has almost nothing except the monocoque body behind the front bumper, so it's not surprising the Nano withstood the impact well.

I agree.
Both items missing in my Nano 2012 LX Special Edition too!

Same reply received.

Complained. Awaiting 2nd reply.

Damn - just 4 months and now I see scoop of the Nano 2013 !!!

I was told back then that it's atleast 6 months away!

Though I am thoroughly enjoying and loving my Nano, a wee bit of intrigue is creeping in ! :(
Dr.Suraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2013, 22:50   #374
BHPian

I was looking for a 2nd hand Nano or M800 for wifey. Am not a Tata fan, but finally decided to TD the Nano. The sales guys from Kulathunkal Motors, Trivandrum asked for an appointment at 1:30 in the afternoon. I was clearly bowled over when they called me up at sharp 1:30 and said "Sir, We are waiting at your gate".

Need to say, the car was great. Having a Polo as my daily drive and an Innova and Micra in the stable, I was wonder stuck by the peppy Nano. I am 6 feet - Hats off to the Tata engineers on getting me so much leg room both in the front and rear.

I booked the White CX variant - the first time I ever finalized a vehicle purchase in an hour. The on-road price was worked down to 1.7 lk after some discounts and an exchange on an old Kinetic Honda. I did not opt for the special edition package not any extra goodies since I was focused on VFM. They have promised to give free floor mats, mud flaps and body colored bumpers, door handles and OVRM.

To wrap it up, I feel that its been a quick VFM deal on a peppy city car rather than having nightmares over a 2nd hand purchase for maybe 30-40K less.

Last edited by kutts : 10th March 2013 at 22:51.
kutts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2013, 09:10   #375
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutts View Post
I booked the White CX variant - the first time I ever finalized a vehicle purchase in an hour. The on-road price was worked down to 1.7 lk after some discounts and an exchange on an old Kinetic Honda. I did not opt for the special edition package not any extra goodies since I was focused on VFM. They have promised to give free floor mats, mud flaps and body colored bumpers, door handles and OVRM.

To wrap it up, I feel that its been a quick VFM deal on a peppy city car rather than having nightmares over a 2nd hand purchase for maybe 30-40K less.
Congratulations on your booking ! and looks like you wouldnt miss much form LX considering the free-bees you are getting on your CX

Btw, looking at your signature/series of vehicles you had/have [almost all of them changed the tradition of its category], Nano ought to be in the list and you made a right decision, I would say !

Prem.
kaviprem is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote