Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 21st May 2013, 20:18   #406
BHPian

Default Re: Tata Nano : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by john doe View Post
The instrument panel looks really nice! I must point out though, when you are driving long distances at night, a very bright instrument panel causes a lot of eye fatigue.
I've seen many cars abroad with dimmers for the dashboard lighting, don't know if any of our cars in India have this feature.
+1. Bright cluster lights are outright distracting and add to fatigue. The dimmer is available on ALL versions of the ARIA.
lifebuoy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2013, 05:25   #407
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The instrument panel looks really nice! I must point out though, when you are driving long distances at night, a very bright instrument panel causes a lot of eye fatigue.
I've seen many cars abroad with dimmers for the dashboard lighting, don't know if any of our cars in India have this feature.
Fiat's ,Linea and Punto have it.
At least Emotion's do,not sure of other Models.
akshay4587 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2013, 17:12   #408
Senior - BHPian

NMotorback have reported latest sighting of the 2013 Nano, where the new rear bumper (for better ventilation) is clearly visible, but no other changes are visible.

Link to their article:

http://motorbash.com/spied-refreshed...t-launch-soon/
CARDEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2013, 05:36   #409

Hello guys!

I bought the nano 2012 lx in february 2013. I always had a soft corner for the car but never really realised how practical it was until i started munching some serious miles! I dont usually use the word 'cute' but my little nano is ridiculously 'cute'

I have one query and a very important one at that. I have been to bangalore twice in the nano, first time before the first servicing and the second time very recently. I got the engine oil changed during the first service as i didnt want to take any risks. I usually get a mileage of 17kmpl with a/c in hyderabad city (i am not the slow driver, rather i'm slightly on the faster side ;p) and 20kmpl on the highways at constant speeds of 90-100kmph for 6 hours straight (without any lengthy breaks barring one fuel re fill). My nano now has done 6000km in 12 weeks and i'm planning for another bangalore trip in the nano.

The question is, can the little engine take the stress of 100kmph constant for 550km? I keep wondering if the engine oil will lose its quality and thereby impact the engine life and quality? I have recently calculated the mileage post the 2nd bangalore trip as i got 15kmpl with a/c on 2points regularly in the city traffic. I am wondering is the drop in mileage due to the engine oil getting spent? Can anyone throw light on the long drives they've done, conditions and mileage? I just want to know if the stock engine oil can take this 100kmph redlining for hours on end? (lol but i do feel the engine could go unto 120kmph if it wasnt limited). is fully synthetic or semi synthetic any better for nano highway driving?

thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Nano : Test Drive & Review-img_4223.jpg  

Tata Nano : Test Drive & Review-img_4215.jpg  

Tata Nano : Test Drive & Review-img_4211.jpg  

therealabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2013, 02:25   #410
BHPian

^^^^^^
I would not suggest that kind of continuous driving for 5-6 hours at 100 kmph in a Nano. It just can't be good for the engine. I am sure the company has tested it at far greater limits. But this is a car that you own and have paid for. Why subject it to this?
Also I would be more concerned about the tyres too. Can't be good for it to be pushed this way ( assuming you are driving in the day)

I do agree 100% with the "cute"bit! :-)
john doe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2013, 08:09   #411
BHPian

I've done BLR-Tiruvanamalai, BLR-Yercaud round trips in a day, both were >500kms and never faced any issues, whenever & wherever possible I maxed out the 'Little Beast' (as I call it) and have infact always got a mileage of 24+kmpl in such trips with 4 on board without A/c. I've also done numerous 100-200 km trips of Nandi Hills, Devanahalli, Hosur, Krishnagiri, Kotilingeshwar... I can't imagine you'd face any issues. I used to call it the 'Honey Badger' until I stripped off the tag after the Starter Motor was called for replacement, but now thinking of giving it back its rightful title. You'll soon feel how the engine sort of 'opens up' after crossing 7-8000kms on the odo.

Honestly? Drive on.
GrammarNazi is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2013, 09:51   #412
Senior - BHPian

My 70 year old father-in-law regularly does Madurai - Bangalore - Madurai (450 km each way) in his 2012 Nano LX. He cruises at around 80/90 km/hr and has faced absolutely no issues - his take is that the engine 'strain' becomes apparent after around 90 km/hr.

I would recommend not worrying at all about the impact on the engine life; Tata has rigorously tested this engine and there should not be any worries.

However, I would advise you to change the engine oil more frequently along with the filter. The cost should not be much and will keep the engine smoother in the long run.
itwasntme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2013, 11:05   #413
BHPian

Quote:
The question is, can the little engine take the stress of 100kmph constant for 550km? I keep wondering if the engine oil will lose its quality and thereby impact the engine life and quality? I have recently calculated the mileage post the 2nd bangalore trip as i got 15kmpl with a/c on 2points regularly in the city traffic. I am wondering is the drop in mileage due to the engine oil getting spent? Can anyone throw light on the long drives they've done, conditions and mileage? I just want to know if the stock engine oil can take this 100kmph redlining for hours on end? (lol but i do feel the engine could go unto 120kmph if it wasnt limited). is fully synthetic or semi synthetic any better for nano highway driving?
The little engine can do more than any one can think. Atually the car's aerodynamics an tyres cannot handle the actual power of engine for long drives. Thats why Nano's power is limited and has the safety feature wherein the engine cuts off as soon as you go into red line. Nano can certainly do 100 for 5 to 6 hours non-stop. But for doing this without any hassle tyre upgrade is must atleast for front ones as they loosen up on grip as soon as you pass 90km/h.

Right now I am on my stock oil and getting 18 to 20 kmpl. The stock oil is good but if you are going to do 5 to 6 hrs of drive repeatedly the I would suggest you to go for an oil upgrade.

But right now what I feel is you seriously need to go for tyre upgrade as this is for your personal safety. Atleast for front ones!!

Last edited by sujay bhandare : 27th May 2013 at 11:07. Reason: Quote not done properly
sujay bhandare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2013, 15:00   #414
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealabs View Post
Hello guys!

thanks
I am a big fan of the Nano car as well, I have a 2010 standard and 2012 Lx special edition. Both have clocked about 25000 kms on the dial. I have done Mumbai - Bangalore 1080 kms non-stop on these. (about 15 times within 15 hours) and have never faced any issues with the car. The top speed is 109 kms/hr and after that the engine cuts off which is still good enough as the big Volvos ( the only real competition for Nano on that highway) are locked in 100. Its a fun car to drive but as you rightly said, you will wish it wasn't locked on 109. The only thing I would worry about in this car are the rims. Be it stock or alloys because they are tiny! One bad hit on speeds of 60-70 and they bend easily. So you have to be extremely careful especially in the rains as all you need is one deep ditch and the ride is stalled. I have lost about 3 rims like that.

Another best part about this car is apart from the punctures, for anything else that happens to the car, you don't really have any other choice than calling 18002097979 and I can vouch for them. They will be there for assistance anytime, anywhere and the service is really good. I don't know if it's just for the Nano owners or Tata motors is generally so good in customer service, but as a Nano owner whenever I have called them or walked in their service station, I have felt pampered.

Wish you safe riding and many happy miles on your Nano.

PS: I had damaged my oil sump while off-roading in Bangalore and had to overhaul the entire engine. As it was consequential damage it wasn't covered by insurance or warranty. It costed me 30 k for the overhaul.

Excellent review by GTO. Liked the details covered and the crisp write-up.
Attached Images

Vishbull_6157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2013, 06:58   #415
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealabs View Post
The question is, can the little engine take the stress of 100kmph constant for 550km?
Quote:
I would not suggest that kind of continuous driving for 5-6 hours at 100 kmph in a Nano.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sujay bhandare View Post
The little engine can do more than any one can think.
Right now I am on my stock oil and getting 18 to 20 kmpl. The stock oil is good but if you are going to do 5 to 6 hrs of drive repeatedly the I would suggest you to go for an oil upgrade.

But right now what I feel is you seriously need to go for tyre upgrade as this is for your personal safety. Atleast for front ones!!
I have driven the Nano from Dombivli to Ankola (Karnataka) and back, without any issues. Add to that several runs to Pune at peak speeds. I have never felt any adverse effects on the engine.

Of course there's another problem you need to look at: Can the fuel last you for 550kms? My maximum mileage out of a tankfull of petrol was a little under 420kms.

I suggest better leave the tyres as they are. There's a reason why the Nano comes with thinner tyres upfront and wider ones at the back. Upgrading (only) the (front) tyres may compromise on the high-speed handling of the car.

Also since you are in your warranty period, I suggest you check with TaMo about the oil upgrade.
honeybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2013, 15:01   #416
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
I suggest better leave the tyres as they are. There's a reason why the Nano comes with thinner tyres upfront and wider ones at the back. Upgrading (only) the (front) tyres may compromise on the high-speed handling of the car.

Also since you are in your warranty period, I suggest you check with TaMo about the oil upgrade.
Actually the main reason behind the different tyres on Nano is basically for cost reduction. As it is a RWD vehicle, and to provide better traction on rear wheels, Nano has a different width rear wheel. And upgrading only the front tyres will not affect the car's handling capacities. It will actually enhance them. Above the speeds of 80kmph you will certainly experience better grip on front wheels.
Old 28th May 2013, 15:47   #417
jp1
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishbull_6157 View Post
I am a big fan of the Nano car as well, .....

Another best part about this car is apart from the punctures, for anything else that happens to the car, you don't really have any other choice than calling 18002097979 and I can vouch for them. They will be there for assistance anytime, anywhere and the service is really good. I don't know if it's just for the Nano owners or Tata motors is generally so good in customer service, but as a Nano owner whenever I have called them or walked in their service station, I have felt pampered.
Till the time I bought this little car, I was having a negative perception about TATA. But after buying it all that has changed, I am more surprised by the kind of attention they give to Nano owners. Recently they offered (Prerana Motors) a free check up which we refused saying we do not have the time to take the car to the service station, they offered to come home and do the check up, that too on a sunday, they came completed the service, gave some tips on improving mileage and gave us a gift, in addition to that, offered us a one day stay at a resort which we could not take due to other commitments. Really surprised.
jp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2013, 15:58   #418
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Actually the main reason behind the different tyres on Nano is basically for cost reduction. As it is a RWD vehicle, and to provide better traction on rear wheels, Nano has a different width rear wheel. And upgrading only the front tyres will not affect the car's handling capacities. It will actually enhance them. Above the speeds of 80kmph you will certainly experience better grip on front wheels.
I believe the spare is of the smaller size and the larger size tyre will not fit the space though am not 100% sure of that. So if one upgrades such that all the tyres are the same size then one will have a "Space Saver" Spare like the high end vehicles do today.
ACM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2013, 16:27   #419
BHPian

Quote:

Actually the main reason behind the different tyres on Nano is basically for cost reduction. As it is a RWD vehicle, and to provide better traction on rear wheels, Nano has a different width rear wheel...
I thought it was because;
1) Steering : It would be easy to steer with narrow tyres given Nano doesn't have power steering.

2) Weight : Being a rear engined car, the front was relieved of the engine weight, so a small wheel would do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
Till the time I bought this little car, I was having a negative perception about TATA...Recently they offered (Prerana Motors) a free check up which we refused saying we do not have the time to take the car to the service station, they offered to come home and do the check up, that too on a sunday, they came completed the service, gave some tips on improving mileage and gave us a gift, in addition to that, offered us a one day stay at a resort which we could not take due to other commitments. Really surprised.
BUT the commitment is inconsistent. I got a call from KHT Motors seeking confirmation for attending Sunday's event at the resort, and they said they'd call back but I'm still to hear from them (leave aside any sort of checkup).

Moreover just 15 days ago, a TATA Surveyor came home to collect feedback to directly report to TATA. He explained how a lot of Nano merchandise and services were being siphoned off by dealers and that TATA is trying to prevent such incidents.
GrammarNazi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2013, 16:34   #420
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
I believe the spare is of the smaller size and the larger size tyre will not fit the space though am not 100% sure of that.
Yep, the spare wheel is of the same size of front wheels. Talking about the space around the spare wheel, the rear tyre can easily fit in the provided spare wheel area but by giving a little extra effort for putting it in the well.

If you or someone wants to upgrade the same rear tyre for front then its not possible because there is not much space in terms of tyre width. But it can be upgraded to 145/70 R12. This will surely improve the steering handling, but it might get some what heavier while parking.