Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 28th May 2013, 23:50   #421
Senior - BHPian

I believe the difference in the tyre width is to reduce any oversteer out of the RWD setup, specially because it only has booster assisted drum brakes. Wider front tyres will grip better, but will also cause rear wheels to lse traction first when taking corners at high speeds.

Regarding the customer-friendliness, I think it's started with the Nano since the chairman of the company was personally involved in the project. That's a good sign.
honeybee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2013, 00:10   #422
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Tata Nano : Test Drive & Review

The AC stopped working few days back,and there was only a hint of cold air coming from the blower.Dropped the car at 1PM at tata after sales,and she was back with me at 6-15PM after AC condensor replacement and gas refill as it was leaking from there.

Final Bill-0
Condensor replaced under warranty, AC Gas refill and labour covered under AMC,and the car was washed before delivery.

Who says tata service is bad?
akshay4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2013, 00:56   #423
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Absolutely true,i have had a good service experience, especially at Concorde.

A close friend who works for TATA sister concern, says that Nano has utmost respect from every TATA employee.

In fact he added that Nano is currently under JLR management team and they have lot of upgrades in pipeline and TATA is very keen to make nano a sucess.

He told me about a variant which will have 14" wheels, and will be slightly low slung.
silverado is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2013, 01:37   #424
BHPian

The best part is after every visit to the Tata service center, you get a call from their central customer service department to capture your experience and request you to give ratings on some 10 customer service parameters. The ratings are 1 to 10. 10 being the best. And they take it very seriously. If you give a poor rating, you will immediately get a call from the service center advisor to rectify the shortcomings. To me , that's the most amazing part of owning a Tata Nano, infact two of them.

If you really want to go easy and not stress about owning a car. If the buying objective is simply utility, to commute four passengers safely. Nano car is the way to go. Easy to buy ( 15k down payment ) , easy to run ( 18 - 20 kmpl ) and easy to maintain ( 4 years, 60000 kms warranty). I honestly feel smarter in the city peak hour traffic in my 2 . 5 lakh Nano paying Rs 3.5 per kilometer than someone in a 10 lakh car and paying much more per kilometer while we both crawl at the same speeds. (no pun intended). each to his own choice. My views are purely based on my economic conditions, I am a young executive who has recently started my professional career some years ago.
Vishbull_6157 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2013, 10:41   #425
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishbull_6157 View Post
If you really want to go easy and not stress about owning a car. If the buying objective is simply utility, to commute four passengers safely. Nano car is the way to go. Easy to buy ( 15k down payment ) , easy to run ( 18 - 20 kmpl ) and easy to maintain ( 4 years, 60000 kms warranty). I honestly feel smarter in the city peak hour traffic in my 2 . 5 lakh Nano paying Rs 3.5 per kilometer than someone in a 10 lakh car and paying much more per kilometer while we both crawl at the same speeds. (no pun intended). each to his own choice. My views are purely based on my economic conditions, I am a young executive who has recently started my professional career some years ago.
Quite true, my parents gifted me the Nano in 2010 while I was interning often till very late and it mostly involved 30+km travel everyday. I wasn't extremely excited then but slowly realised how useful it turned out to be! It really was the most economical carpool for my friends whether for the daily run or the occasional weekend getaway or even a 4-500km road trip. All this was also possible on bikes, but the car gave quite some flexibility more so with night travel.
GrammarNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2013, 11:31   #426
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
I believe the difference in the tyre width is to reduce any oversteer out of the RWD setup, specially because it only has booster assisted drum brakes. Wider front tyres will grip better, but will also cause rear wheels to lse traction first when taking corners at high speeds.
Actually to help overcome oversteer and to get better traction at rear wheels, they are wider than front. I think Nano was at first designed keeping in mind the front tyre packaging for all 4 wheels.
sujay bhandare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2013, 12:25   #427
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
The AC stopped working few days back,and there was only a hint of cold air coming from the blower.Dropped the car at 1PM at tata after sales,and she was back with me at 6-15PM after AC condensor replacement and gas refill as it was leaking from there.

Final Bill-0
Condensor replaced under warranty, AC Gas refill and labour covered under AMC,and the car was washed before delivery.

I do. Their service is absolute rubbish - in Goa at least.

When I gave the car for the first service they changed the oil and filter at my request. The filter was removed by punching the side with a screwdriver and using that as a lever to open the filter. I was shocked beyond belief and took some pics on my phone. They were not bothered and said it was normal as there is no space to work in the engine bay. I seriously doubt this.

A power window switch failed. As I was near the service station I popped in there and asked them to replace it. It took three and a half hours!!! Any accessory shop would have done this in 15 minutes, max.

I was called in to get the dashboard cluster changed under warranty even though it was working fine. However, as it was a Tata recall, I decided to do it anyway in case of problems later. This job took nearly 6 hours.

I gave my Nano for the third service and to change the starter motor (under warranty) as it was giving trouble.
I had to drive 50 Kms each way to get this service done.
I was at the service station from 0845 till 1730 hrs.
The starter motor was changed but is still giving trouble.
The brakes were supposedly cleaned (Rs. 650/=) but are still screeching.
The exhaust is now rattling as they did not put the silencer rubber bushing back after changing the starter motor.
They did not have a spare plastic cover for the ORVM door stalk which had fallen off and wanted me to buy a complete mirror at Rs. 500/= (which they did not have in stock anyway). Plus extra for painting. I think a Maruti 800 mirror costs Rs. 80/=.
Most of the above defects I noticed soon after driving out from the garage but as they were closing at 1800 it was no point going back.

I wrote an email to the garage as soon as I got home and they asked me to bring the car back and that they would pay for the petrol. What about the time and effort wasted?

The A/C switch failed a week ago.

Now they have finally got a replacement A/C switch I will be going back tomorrow.

Bitterly regretting having bought this car as opposed to a Maruti.

I had bought a Sumo in 1995. Sold in 1996. I had sworn then that I would never ever touch a Tata product again but this last purchase was my wife's idea.

Rgds,
SS
suzuki san is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2013, 23:32   #428
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
Absolutely true,i have had a good service experience, especially at Concorde.
Their after-service follow-up is certainly very good...

When I recently gave my Nano for the first-year service to Concorde (opp. Christ College), it came back with a strange moisture-like discoloration on the glass (plexi?) enclosure of the speedo. When the customer-service dept called for their survey, I told them about this problem. The same day, a technician from Concorde called to discuss the problem and promised to come home to see the issue himself. True enough, he actually turned up the next day! After looking at the problem, he said that some cleaning solution that wasn't supposed to used on certain parts had been used on the speedo enclosure causing the discoloration. He promised to get the affected part replaced. Keeping my fingers crossed.
kumards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2013, 13:26   #429
Senior - BHPian

@Suzuki san, from my interaction and observations of the workshops on these many occasions, I think they are trying to streamline many of the processes, and I believe and hope that this is a temporary transition period. True, the work takes time, but there is now regular follow up, the staff appear to be eager to attend to your queries and overall I think they are improving.

Spare parts or the right accessories not being in stock is a problem. I have been following up with my dealer for the cigarette lighter attachment for my Nano LX, but till date (close to a year) he hasn't been able to order it. In my last visit, however, the salesman did connect me with another fellow who works in their Kalyan service centre, and the part is available there. The other fellow simply asked me to drive in anytime after calling in advance and assured me the job would be done in about twenty minutes flat.

I shall probably aim to get this done soon as I also have to take care of a wide and big scratch on the driver's door (caused by a bicycle, out of all vehicles!), before the first year insurance cover goes.

Yesterday I got a call from the service centre, to remind me of my insurance policy expiry which happens next month. I am now in two minds as the WIAA membership I have got recently also offers insurance renewals.

Edit: Just checked the email. The lady from the service centre has sent an Excel file with the following breakup:

IDV
Rate of premium
Own Damage Amount
T-Discount (??) Rate
T-Discount (??) Amount
Net Own Damage Amount
NCB rate
NCB Amount
Own Damage Amount post NCB
TP Liability
Driver liability
Owner/Driver liability
PA to passengers
Gross premium
Service Tax
Total premium

This file gives you comparative quotes from Reliance General Insurance, United India Insurance, National India Insurance, Oriental General Insurance and New India Insurance.

Surprisingly the New India Insurance (isn't it Assurance?) has no T-Discount, and so has the highest premium quote.

Now that's something even my Hyundai didn't offer!

Last edited by honeybee : 8th June 2013 at 13:34.
honeybee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2013, 16:04   #430
BHPian

Just got mine back from service at Autozone, Coimbatore.

When I went in, the service rep personally checked the history of the car, all services, oil changes, claims and the like on his database and recommended a complete oil change - engine, gearbox, steering, replacement of filters. That with the mandatory service, water wash, wheel alignment and balancing worked out to about 4500. I had mentioned that the fabric lining had come off near the bonnet opener.

I called him up later in the day to ask him to check on the AC also, as it used to be a chiller earlier and had come down over the last month. This I attributed to the vehicle standing in the dust of road construction for over a month. He called back and said something had broken and it could not be replaced under warranty, as it was a plastic part. He said it cost Rs. 100. Gave him the go ahead. Also came to know that one of the shock absorbers had failed and needed replacement. I cringed at the thought of having to spend more.

He called me later in the evening and told me that the vehicle was ready and that the total amount to be paid was a grand total of Rs.863. All the rest of the work was covered under the AMC and the shock absorbers were replaced under warranty.

The vehicle rides beautifully now and the steering needs minimal effort. I already received a call from the service center this afternoon asking me about how their job was.
discoverwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2013, 00:28   #431
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealabs View Post
Hello guys!

I bought the nano 2012 lx in february 2013. I always had a soft corner for the car but never really realised how practical it was until i started munching some serious miles! I dont usually use the word 'cute' but my little nano is ridiculously 'cute'
Your car looks awesome, esp. the graphics on the sides and the matte black roof. That's vinyl, right? The Y-spoke design OEM alloys would compliment your ride perfectly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifebuoy View Post
+1. Bright cluster lights are outright distracting and add to fatigue. The dimmer is available on ALL versions of the ARIA.
Indigo CS has the 4-level brightness control for the cluster backlighting as well. I think all Tata vehicles have this as standard. I thought this was a standard feature for all cars nowadays.

Last edited by vivekgk : 11th June 2013 at 00:32.
vivekgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2013, 23:19   #432
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumards View Post
Their after-service follow-up is certainly very good...
=====He promised to get the affected part replaced. Keeping my fingers crossed.
UPDATE: It's been over a week now but still no word from Concorde on the discolored speedo enclosure that they promised to replace :-(. I plan to call them tomorrow.
kumards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2013, 01:28   #433
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumards View Post

UPDATE: It's been over a week now but still no word from Concorde on the discolored speedo enclosure that they promised to replace :-(. I plan to call them tomorrow.
I got my front window winding assembly changed under warranty within 4 days.Did they make an entry,or raise a request for the speedo enclosure?
nijelj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2013, 11:37   #434
BHPian

A friend's car's battery has gone down. It was an exide battery and lasted for about 2.5 years. It needs to be replaced.

Options are:

-> Tata's Green battery for Rs.3500 with 1 year warranty.

-> Exide battery for Rs. 3300 with 1 year warranty.

-> Aamron battery for Rs. 2900 with 1 year warranty as well.

Which of these would be preferable. The car is not used a lot and hence the battery drains out most of the time and needs to be recharged at-least twice in an year. Does Aamron have maintenance free batteries fir the NANO with those 5 year warranties? Inquired at a local shop but the response was negative.
carzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2013, 16:16   #435
BHPian

Replaced the wiper as the last one was leaving some swipe marks right across my eye-level. However, even the new one is doing the same.
Next time around will look for Bosch one. Has anyone used Bosch (or other) blades for Nano?
avingodb is offline   Reply With Quote