Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 28th February 2012, 18:37   #301
BHPian

Default Re: Toyota Fortuner 4x2 (MT & Automatic) : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
Well, for a person that doesnt own an SUV, this one was a very different feeling.

For starters, I found the ride less bumpy in the new Fort as compared to the old.
The brakes on this one are much better.
The seating though was somewhat different as compared to the older one, I found the classic Fort more spacious in terms of leg space, for the back benchers.

Oh, the HU looks absolutely horrible. More like a Chinese product, that wont last the time. Sound Quality is also quite miserable, as compared to the older one.
Even the tail lights werent to my taste. I much prefer the looks of the classic Fort.

@SumitB: Monaro's Fort is Grey in color.
I agree with Swanand that the Music system is really really bad and needs upgrade on immediate basis. It has very poor output and feels like someone is sitting with transistor from eighties and tuning it. The Tail lamps also feel like play toy and cheap quality. For this butch of a vehicle, they should have given better tail lamps as it deserves that macho looks.
subodh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2012, 18:50   #302
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subodh View Post
I agree with Swanand that the Music system is really really bad and needs upgrade on immediate basis. It has very poor output and feels like someone is sitting with transistor from eighties and tuning it. The Tail lamps also feel like play toy and cheap quality. For this butch of a vehicle, they should have given better tail lamps as it deserves that macho looks.
I have not heard it on the old TFort, but when I heard it in the new one, it definitely did not match up to the price of the vehicle. Felt like the cheapest branded components from the market would do a better job.

I also paired my phone through bluetooth and found the speaker and mic adequate for a call.
BlackRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2012, 19:23   #303
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRaven

I have not heard it on the old TFort, but when I heard it in the new one, it definitely did not match up to the price of the vehicle. Felt like the cheapest branded components from the market would do a better job.

I also paired my phone through bluetooth and found the speaker and mic adequate for a call.
The one in old fort does a really good job compared to the new one. I have heard the old fort system in Monaro's car couple of times and it does a really good job. They should have retained the old system as it used to integrate really well with The interiors. If Toyota was looking at giving something different for the new model, they should have gone for better components or then retained the old system with just cosmetic changes to it if that would have been possible.
subodh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2012, 19:30   #304
BHPian

Default brakes comparision Old vs New

New model brakes

Old model brakes

Last edited by neo_trace : 28th February 2012 at 19:32.
neo_trace is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2012, 21:27   #305
Senior - BHPian

I wonder whether the brakes can be retrofitted to the Classic Fortuner. Will check when I go for my 25K service. I did hear that the HIDs can't be fitted to the Classic Fort easily. Doesn't matter - now that I have got used to my 70% VLT windscreen sunfilm, I can drive pretty fast on stock high beam on empty two lane highways - fast enough to do house doorstep - Bandipur gate in 3.5 hours in the night through NH 209 :-)

Hope the suspension is as tough as before, and that they didn't soften it too much to cater to the 95% of Fortuner owners who use it for mallroading.

Last edited by nilanjanray : 28th February 2012 at 21:40.
nilanjanray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th February 2012, 12:49   #306
BHPian

Post Re: Toyota Fortuner 4x2 (MT & Automatic) : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Did this change happen after the official TD was done? Am sure our mods would have caught this change in no time had this been sorted out at that time itself. I cannot make out any comments related to this in GTO's review of this face-lifted Fortuner.
I dont think that this change has been brought about recently. It is very likely it came with the new Fortuner.
Since the TD vehicles are just getting available (since Feb.) at various dealerships, I could recently test one.
And as they say, the difference is very much noticeable by people who drive it (the car) everyday.
Monaro CV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th February 2012, 14:36   #307
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
For starters, I found the ride less bumpy in the new Fort as compared to the old.
I disagree. Within 2 kms of driving the new Fortuner, I went "Oh God, it's still as bumpy at city speeds. Why didn't Toyota work on the suspension?". I went back & asked a Toyota engineer who confirmed that the suspension setup is identical to the pre-facelift.

The only logical reason I can come up with is that your test Fortuner's tyres were running a lower PSI.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th February 2012, 14:51   #308
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I disagree. Within 2 kms of driving the new Fortuner, I went "Oh God, it's still as bumpy at city speeds. Why didn't Toyota work on the suspension?". I went back & asked a Toyota engineer who confirmed that the suspension setup is identical to the pre-facelift.

The only logical reason I can come up with is that your test Fortuner's tyres were running a lower PSI.
@GTO, looking at pics in few posts above, the brakes seem to be bigger than the old Fortuner. I understand the feel could still be the same, but just wanted to know if had a chance to talk to Toyota Engineers on the same.

I am given to understand that majority of Fortuner components come as a kit from Thailand and it is just assembled here.

So, why would toyota not use the improved suspensions from the Thai kit?
Old 29th February 2012, 15:26   #309
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I went back & asked a Toyota engineer who confirmed that the suspension setup is identical to the pre-facelift.

Thats quite a possibility.
Given, that the setup is identical, this could be the only reason for the difference in ride quality.

Did they happen to mention anything on the brakes as well? I must've missed it in your review.
Swanand Inamdar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th February 2012, 17:08   #310
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar

Thats quite a possibility.
Given, that the setup is identical, this could be the only reason for the difference in ride quality.

Did they happen to mention anything on the brakes as well? I must've missed it in your review.
TheBrakes are upgraded as per some of the dealer's info. They are of same spec as the Prado and there is a possibliy that even the exiting customers will get an upgrade but on case to case basis.
subodh is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2012, 00:00   #311
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRaven View Post
The Fortuner is my first Toyota experience. It is pathetic. I thought it was probably the dealer and shifted to another, but that was even worse. no return calls in-spite of promises.

The sales experience was better at Mahindra for a vehicle that was 1/4th the cost of TFort. My Honda experience for Civic was far better. I seriously hope this is not the case with Toyota service.
In fact I had a very good experience today with Nandi Toyota. Called them by afternoon for a TD of the Fortuner. The SE came with the car to my place at 8 PM tonight and spent close to an hour for the test drive. Maybe they did not have the TD cars earlier. The one I drove was almost as good as brand new.
ganeshram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2012, 11:11   #312
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganeshram View Post
In fact I had a very good experience today with Nandi Toyota. Called them by afternoon for a TD of the Fortuner. The SE came with the car to my place at 8 PM tonight and spent close to an hour for the test drive. Maybe they did not have the TD cars earlier. The one I drove was almost as good as brand new.
@ganeshram; Nice to know that it is not the case with all SE's . May be the SE I landed up with had met the target for the month and did not recognize me as a serious customer.

BTW which variant did you TD? If possible pls write about your TD experience.

Thanks
Old 1st March 2012, 11:39   #313
BHPian

Quote:
How long does it typically take from allotment to delivery? (All my paperwork is done and car fully paid for. Only thing remaining is the Registration and insurance)
if its about a month to 40 days i would say that's good time

Quote:
Could you post some pics of your beast with the following
1) side cladding
2) scuff plate illumination
Here You go

Name:  IMG_5663.jpg
Views: 4008
Size:  243.7 KB

Name:  IMG_5664 copy.jpg
Views: 2708
Size:  250.9 KB

Name:  IMG_5666.jpg
Views: 2429
Size:  407.9 KB

Toyota Fortuner 4x2 (MT & Automatic) : Test Drive & Review-img_5667.jpg

Quote:
How was the cooling in the Fortuner?
Cooling was pretty average , outside temperature while returning from Chennai was about 36 Deg.
Just finished my first service and now AC has been sent to "Cold Max" Its more chill inside the cabin now.

Quote:

BTW, did you happen to track FE in your vehicle during the Chennai trip? If yes could you share the #? I want to compare it with classic TFort to guess if the following is true in India.
I got about 11 with AC on all time and doing speeds around 140 on the Chennai-BLR highway. The MID information was really crappy. it showed absurd efficiency figures , maybe also due to the vehicle bouncing on few bad stretches.
Comfort was pretty good. Brakes are definitely better than old T-Fort.

Last edited by redrage : 1st March 2012 at 11:53.
redrage is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2012, 11:44   #314
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrage View Post
if its about a month to 40 days i would say that's good time

Here You go

Attachment 895446

Attachment 895447

Attachment 895448

Attachment 895449

Cooling was pretty average , outside temperature while returning from Chennai was about 36 Deg.
Just finished my first service and now AC has been sent to "Cold Max" Its more chill inside the cabin now.
How much did you pay for the scuff plates? I have been eyeing these since the day I saw them listed on Toyota website. Will get these at the time of delivery if they're not prohibitively expensive. Have these on my wife's Cruze and I absolutely love them.

Also, you were supposed to post pics of your prized possession. Please do so. Eagerly waiting.
SumitB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2012, 11:52   #315
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitB View Post
How much did you pay for the scuff plates? I have been eyeing these since the day I saw them listed on Toyota website. Will get these at the time of delivery if they're not prohibitively expensive. Have these on my wife's Cruze and I absolutely love them.

Also, you were supposed to post pics of your prized possession. Please do so. Eagerly waiting.
Here are the list prices of Fortuner Accesories.(Tax included, labour and painting excluded). Given that most of these are cosmetic, is it best to buy from Toyota or does aftermarket have better quality and slightly reasonable prices. Please advise.

Auto folding mirror PZ063-0K001 3,700.00
Car Cover PZ045-0K606 3,100.00
Car Cushion PZ010-0K621 410.00
Cargo net PZ003-0K002 2,000.00
Chrome Door Housing PZ042-0K038 4,300.00
Floor Mat (Fabric) PZ000-0K617 3,800.00
Front Fender Mirror (Black Color) PZ058-0K007-09 6,750.00
Front Fender Mirror (White Color) PZ058-0K007-40 6,750.00
Front Sunshade PZ016-0K603 350.00
Head Lamp Chrome Cover PZ049-0K013 5,300.00
Illuminated scuffplate PZ024-0K025 9,750.00
Leg Room Lamp (Amber) PZ064-0K603 5,400.00