Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 24th August 2015, 14:14   #136
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Hyundai Sonata : Official Review

My father uses a Sonata (his company car). Black, manual. It looks great, and given that it's a rare car on the roads, it gets lots of second glances - admiring ones at that
Very comfortable and plush inside with lots of space (not as much as a Superb though). Rear seat is comfortable but a too little low with a high window line which is typical Hyundai. Not the most engaging to drive and FE is low. Ideal if you're being chauffeured around but probably not the best if you enjoy driving. Also, be aware that Hyundai ASCs don't stock too many Sonata parts now that it has been discontinued, and the car may get stuck while waiting on a part(s). For example, dad's Sonata had its bumper ripped out by an auto and it took Hyundai over a month to replace it. That bad.

Last edited by razor4077 : 24th August 2015 at 14:16.
razor4077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2015, 07:21   #137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Lovely swooping looks and fully loaded but mileage is terrible at least in BLR traffic ranging between 6 & 8. Someone I know nearly bought one used but backed out due to his higher running.
Thank you for the input itwasntme. I am in Gurgaon currently and most of the drive is on NH8 only with bumper to bumper traffic once in a week at the most. Considering the money I'd save from buying used and the easier (cheaper) maintenance of a Hyundai, even a mileage of 8-10 works for me. What is the real world mileage our bhpians are getting on this car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
Yeah, very true mate. Thanks for reminding me of this post of my own.

Actually I can proudly say that predicting fuel prices 2-3 years back i made biggest prediction mistake of my life I never imagined that fuel prices will come down so drastically. Getting petrol still under Rs 70 is a only good thing happened in recent past with the economy. All other prices here in Pune are going upwards only, be it real estate, grocery, food items, hoteling, travelling, & what not. Fuel prices coming down is a really good suprise for all of us & for our economy. Now buying cars like Sonata, Honda Accord makes sense in second hand market as for next 2-3 years fuel prices are going to be in check, fingers crossed.
Haha so true mate. I have been a Civic owner for quite some time after which I shifted to the Cruze. During that time I felt diesel engines are much better than petrol with their better mileages, cheap fuel and the turbo kick. Just recently I test drove an Accord and was reminded of the refinement and silence of a petrol engine and now the heart wants to go back. So considering a 2010 Accord (at 8 lakhs) vs. end 2012 Sonata (11.5 Lakhs) at the moment. Any suggestions?
evoque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2015, 11:29   #138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by evoque View Post
Haha so true mate. I have been a Civic owner for quite some time after which I shifted to the Cruze. During that time I felt diesel engines are much better than petrol with their better mileages, cheap fuel and the turbo kick. Just recently I test drove an Accord and was reminded of the refinement and silence of a petrol engine and now the heart wants to go back. So considering a 2010 Accord (at 8 lakhs) vs. end 2012 Sonata (11.5 Lakhs) at the moment. Any suggestions?
My suggestion would be go for Honda Accord eyes closed. Not only because its less priced. I have been in Honda Accord few times which is owned by my close friend. Its a out of the world experience. Its so comfortable. Seats are like Sofa & you hardly feel outside world. After all its a Honda. At 8 lacs i guess its a great deal if it is maintained in excellent condition. If not try to bargain more. Go for it and post some pictures as well. Honda Accord is one of my dream car, I wish i could buy one for myself now. I can afford 8 lacs but i don't have that much big parking right now, also i won't be able to afford to maintain it right now, period. All the best
aniketi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2016, 09:27   #139

Hi BHPians,

I am planning on getting a used Hyundai Sonata - 2012 model (mileage quoted as per dealer is 23k Approx and he is charging 10.9 lacs for it. Post bargain doesn't look going south of 10 lacs. Please advise... Should I go for it or look for Honda Accord or Toyota Camry... Skoda Superb is eliminated from the choice list as in Bhubaneswar, Skoda Service is negligible to say the least.
sarthakbhp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2016, 16:57   #140
Senior - BHPian

My advice:

1. Accord most recommended as it was built in India, sold reasonably well, had bulletproof mechanicals and Honda should have plenty of spares for it.

2. Camry was a CBU and a bit tricky if things go wrong. Did not sell that well either and mileage maybe lower.

3. Sonata was also a CBU and a flop. But I think mechanicals are bulletproof.
a. Check the mileage (for clocking) by quietly approaching Hyundai service centers and asking for service history.
b. Separately ask dealer to get current owner for full service history
c. Get car checked professionally for accident damage.
d. Ask owner for all insurance papers for 5 years to check claims.

Mileage seems a bit low but if genuine then do go for it.
itwasntme is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2016, 00:40   #141

Ok,

Any help with the maintenance bits and cost of service and spare parts of a Honda Accord (5 - 6 years old ) ???
Old 19th August 2016, 00:18   #142

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpuri View Post
I have bought the new Sonata.

Didn't get any discounts. Rather, I am bugged with the LHS pulling problem.
Hi Mpuri,

Would you please give certain bullet points about ownership costs of Hyundai Flluidic Sonata 2012 ?
Old 19th August 2016, 12:52   #143

Hello Everyone,
I had a word with the Hyundai Sonata Spare Parts Head Engineer and he suggested that the parts availability of Hyundai Sonata 2012 is scarce. If at all any part needs to be replaced there might be a waiting period of 1 week to 3 weeks depending upon the availability in India or to be ordered from Korea. Actually I am now completely in 2 minds.. Whether to pursue the idea of buying the 2012 Sonata or let it go... Hyundai Sonata owners can clearly help me in this regard. I would highly appreciate it