Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2014, 00:17   #1816
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Belur/Bangalore
Posts: 3,442
Thanked: 7,745 Times
Default Re: Maruti Ertiga : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by kisharchit View Post
and how much FE does the DDis engine give in the Ertiga?
Quite easily between 18-20kmpl with 100% AC (Well I would hate to roll down and drive on a highway).
You can refer to my ownership report where I have published the FE numbers.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post3349805

Last edited by paragsachania : 14th June 2014 at 00:18.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2014, 15:10   #1817
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: delhi
Posts: 49
Thanked: 30 Times
Default Re: Maruti Ertiga : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Quite easily between 18-20kmpl with 100% AC
The max I got was 17kmpl with a average crusing speed of 100kmph on the Jaipur-Kishangarh highway on my way to Udaipur. The MID refuses to show anything above 15.5 in the city with 100% AC no matter whatever driving style you adapt to. This is what I have observed with my 2013 Ertiga vdi. ( the trip was just after the 1st service i.e 1k)
After the 5000k service was their any noticable change in the average? I have recently got the 2nd free service done and I am expecting to see a change in the average.
4k_jz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2014, 21:22   #1818
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 100
Thanked: 5 Times
Default Re: Maruti Ertiga : Official Review

I have never measured the fuel economy with tankful method , but my MID never goes above 12.6kmpl however I have driven it. Is that MID reading accurate , then I am getting dreadfully low mileage.If that is so , should I get it checked??

BTW , my 2 year old Swift D also shows 15.6 on the MID. Are these things accurate?
Also never gone out station in my car , Maybe 70-80kms at a stretch on a few occasions & thats it.
piyush78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2014, 21:27   #1819
Distinguished - BHPian
 
a4anurag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 8,370
Thanked: 9,802 Times
Default Re: Maruti Ertiga : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by piyush78 View Post
I have never measured the fuel economy with tankful method , but my MID never goes above 12.6kmpl however I have driven it. Is that MID reading accurate , then I am getting dreadfully low mileage.If that is so , should I get it checked??

BTW , my 2 year old Swift D also shows 15.6 on the MID. Are these things accurate?
Also never gone out station in my car , Maybe 70-80kms at a stretch on a few occasions & thats it.
Try resetting the Avergae FE every full tank for correct readings. I have verified the same every full tank basis and the error is around 0.5-0.8 kmpl more on the MID.

FE depends on:
  • Driving style,
  • Air filter maintenance,
  • Tyre pressures.

Anurag.
a4anurag is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2014, 10:31   #1820
BHPian
 
denver85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 195
Thanked: 223 Times
Default Re: Maruti Ertiga : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by kisharchit View Post
and how much FE does the DDis engine give in the Ertiga?
I am getting a consistent 15-16 KMPL in Bangalore traffic (Tank-to-tank method). MID usually shows around 15. On a highway trip (4-line), I usually gets around 17-19 KMPL. MID around 17-18.
The best I got for a long trip is 18.5 KMPL for a 6000 Km trip with 5 adults and full load (3rd row down). All the readings with 100 % AC.
denver85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2014, 12:02   #1821
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 43
Thanked: 27 Times
Default Re: Maruti Ertiga : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftdiesel View Post
I absolutely love this MPV, I do. But the choice of engine for a vehicle this size is sheer madness on MSIL's part. The engine is rock solid and delightfully reliable but when it comes to power, it's a total mismatch.
Why not try a diesel tuning box? I recently got the Spider tuning box fitted at Redrooster Performance shop in Whitefield, Bangalore. I must say I'm very pleased not only with the power on tap which has increased, but also the driveability is better with gear changes needed less frequently especially in 3rd gear where the range of driving speeds for the city is now broader. Yet to accurately check the mileage whether it has increased/decreased but the sheer driving pleasure is very much worth it.
csanand is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2014, 17:04   #1822
BHPian
 
swiftdiesel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: EDI/CDG/MAA/SIN
Posts: 748
Thanked: 762 Times
Default Re: Maruti Ertiga : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by csanand View Post
Why not try a diesel tuning box? I recently got the Spider tuning box fitted at Redrooster Performance shop in Whitefield, Bangalore. I must say I'm very pleased not only with the power on tap which has increased, but also the driveability is better with gear changes needed less frequently especially in 3rd gear where the range of driving speeds for the city is now broader. Yet to accurately check the mileage whether it has increased/decreased but the sheer driving pleasure is very much worth it.

Thanks for the suggestion! Actually, I've been toying with that idea myself for sometime now. Honestly, I don't care about the mileage (lost track of my Ertiga's FE long back) but performance boost is a must. In fact I would have done it already if not for the situation I'm in where I may have to go abroad for a couple of years; that means I gotta sell my vehicle. If that's finalised, then tuning box option is out. If not, I'm definitely going for one even if it reduces engine life.

A quick question: Can I have a go in a car with this tuning box? I'm sure the dealer you mention will have one?

Last edited by swiftdiesel : 17th June 2014 at 17:05.
swiftdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2014, 09:09   #1823
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Tiruchirapalli
Posts: 11
Thanked: 3 Times
Default Re: Maruti Ertiga : Official Review

I am a proud Ertiga Owner - Vehicle taken delivery on March'2013, in exchange for my Maruti Omni.
It has satisfied our family in everyway and has served well in all the trips we have made.
Our ertiga has clocked - 28500 kms on the odo, with some decent mileage figures. The Avg on the MID is always around 15.5 to 17 (even if driven the best way - trying to be economic).

Recently my dad faced an issue with the vehicle, like when moving on a highway sudenly the vehicle starts slowing down (one can see some deceleration too), and the vehicle comes to a speed of 20km/h from almost a 100km/h. during which one has to downshift and ensure the engine does not stall.
When tried accelerating again, the engine revs in the usual way to some 4000 rpm in the tacho (u can also hear the engine revving), but then the vehicle never goes past 20km/h.
Even after all gear changes and switching off the accessories and AC, it keeps doing the same. This is kind of dangerous when moving among fast traffic. The only way this thing will stop is, one has to stop the vehicle, switch off the engine pull the key out and then start again. This time it is normal.

This is the second time we are facing the same problem with the ertiga. It really is concerning and the MASS does not know why this happens. Both the times we have tried using the OBD to check any faulty sensors or any basic issue exists, but the OBD fails to pull up anything.

Some analysis - The engine revs, which means no problem in fuel delivery and combustion. If it is a clutch issue, the vehicle has to behave the same way always. but nothing like that happens. The console does not have any warning lights coming up either.


The vehicle has not been modified. one add on is the K&N stock replacement airfilter - maintained properly.
Tyres are at 32 and 33 psi on Nitrogen on the front and back respectively.
Tyres are stock MRF 185/65 R15.

I tried searching for the same issue reported by someone, but did not find any post. Is there any prior experience for anyone in this regard.

The same issue happened in my friend's manza recently. it has clocked 40300 kms in 2 years' time.
ManuRowaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2014, 10:15   #1824
BHPian
 
denver85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 195
Thanked: 223 Times
Default Re: Maruti Ertiga : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManuRowaine View Post
The vehicle has not been modified. one add on is the K&N stock replacement airfilter - maintained properly.
I tried searching for the same issue reported by someone, but did not find any post. Is there any prior experience for anyone in this regard.
Never faced anything similar in my vehicle till date. It has clocked 55K. As you told the only add-on is K&N filter, I will suggest you to replace this with a stock one and check whether the same issue is happening ???
denver85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2014, 10:29   #1825
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Tiruchirapalli
Posts: 11
Thanked: 3 Times
Default Re: Maruti Ertiga : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by denver85 View Post
Never faced anything similar in my vehicle till date. It has clocked 55K. As you told the only add-on is K&N filter, I will suggest you to replace this with a stock one and check whether the same issue is happening ???
the issue happened the first time with a stock air filter..
ManuRowaine is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2014, 10:33   #1826
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,325
Thanked: 490 Times
Default Re: Maruti Ertiga : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManuRowaine View Post
If it is a clutch issue, the vehicle has to behave the same way always. but nothing like that happens.
I am not very sure but I think clutch slipping can happen intermittently. Experts can please clarify
Guna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2014, 10:39   #1827
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Tiruchirapalli
Posts: 11
Thanked: 3 Times
Default Re: Maruti Ertiga : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
I am not very sure but I think clutch slipping can happen intermittently. Experts can please clarify
but, i am kind of sure that the issue cant be a clutch slip, because the first time this happened was as early as 3500 kms on the odo...
i am an auto enthusiast with decent experiece in mechanic shops.. have driven bad clutch vehicles and i know how it feels... i am confused about the ertiga's behaviour.

being an m.tech in automotive engineering, i am not able to find out what may be the issue.

Ertiga VDi
ManuRowaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2014, 11:04   #1828
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Belur/Bangalore
Posts: 3,442
Thanked: 7,745 Times
Default Re: Maruti Ertiga : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManuRowaine View Post
when moving on a highway sudenly the vehicle starts slowing down (one can see some deceleration too), and the vehicle comes to a speed of 20km/h from almost a 100km/h. during which one has to downshift and ensure the engine does not stall.
Something very unusual and when you refer "Deceleration" you mean that and not a sudden loss of power (As good as flooring the clutch when driving at 100kmph?

Quote:
When tried accelerating again, the engine revs in the usual way to some 4000 rpm in the tacho (u can also hear the engine revving), but then the vehicle never goes past 20km/h.
Like Guna mentions, this particular aspect is a hint about an abnormal clutch wear. 4000 RPM otherwise is too much for this 1.3 MJD as I have always tapped enough power and grunt within 3000 RPM even under tricky climbs.

Quote:
Even after all gear changes and switching off the accessories and AC, it keeps doing the same. This is kind of dangerous when moving among fast traffic. The only way this thing will stop is, one has to stop the vehicle, switch off the engine pull the key out and then start again. This time it is normal.
Quote:
Some analysis - The engine revs, which means no problem in fuel delivery and combustion. If it is a clutch issue, the vehicle has to behave the same way always. but nothing like that happens. The console does not have any warning lights coming up either.
We has TD'd a used LINEA a few month's back (1.3 VGT) and faced similar issue of vehicle being underpowered where the car hesitates to move ahead despite of very high revs. In fact, you bring the car to its Turbo Band and release the clutch and it moved few inches and again the Rev drops below the Turbo band. In fact, it failed to climb a decent ramp itself.
  • Check for fuel adulteration first
  • Do a simple clutch test over a ramp (Slot in 1st with AC On and release the clutch with no throttle)
  • Check for the health of Turbo Hose pipe
  • Try to replicate this issue on a lower gear (say 4th) and ascertain if issue is happening only around certain RPM range (Clutch slippage)
paragsachania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2014, 11:22   #1829
Distinguished - BHPian
 
a4anurag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 8,370
Thanked: 9,802 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManuRowaine View Post
but, i am kind of sure that the issue cant be a clutch slip, because the first time this happened was as early as 3500 kms on the odo.
I doubt the fuel pump working or the fuel lines are taking in air I guess.

Can you see what is the fuel rail pressure that you are achieving?

Check the turbo plumbing and boost pressure achieved.

Anurag.

Last edited by a4anurag : 23rd June 2014 at 11:24.
a4anurag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2014, 12:44   #1830
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Tiruchirapalli
Posts: 11
Thanked: 3 Times
Default Re: Maruti Ertiga : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Something very unusual and when you refer "Deceleration" you mean that and not a sudden loss of power (As good as flooring the clutch when driving at 100kmph?
Yes.. What i mean is a little more than gradual loss of power. not like flooring the clutch at a 100kmph.

Quote:
Like Guna mentions, this particular aspect is a hint about an abnormal clutch wear. 4000 RPM otherwise is too much for this 1.3 MJD as I have always tapped enough power and grunt within 3000 RPM even under tricky climbs.
I have the same experience of the vehicle managing very well at rpms below 3000. But when faced with this issue, i tried gradually accelerating, then flooring the pedal till the engine hit 4000.. The result was it moving at 20kmph in 3rd gear.

Quote:
We has TD'd a used LINEA a few month's back (1.3 VGT) and faced similar issue of vehicle being underpowered where the car hesitates to move ahead despite of very high revs. In fact, you bring the car to its Turbo Band and release the clutch and it moved few inches and again the Rev drops below the Turbo band. In fact, it failed to climb a decent ramp itself.
  • Check for fuel adulteration first
  • Do a simple clutch test over a ramp (Slot in 1st with AC On and release the clutch with no throttle)
  • Check for the health of Turbo Hose pipe
  • Try to replicate this issue on a lower gear (say 4th) and ascertain if issue is happening only around certain RPM range (Clutch slippage)
Simple clutch test done over a minor ramp with no throttle. The vehicle moves forward a bit and then engine stalls.

WE alwayas use BPCL bunks for fuelling and avoid filling when we find a tanker in decantation. We use only 3 BPCL outlets in trichy. This has been the case on highway trips too. Always big BPCL outlets are only visited.

I do periodic checks under the hood for lose pipes, lose caps, bad rubber and ill fitted clamps.
As far as I can say, we have maintained the ertiga very well.
I tried driving other ertigas (diesel).
They seem to have a lower pull than mine (This I would account for the K&N in mine).. The only difference I find is the longer braking distance for me due to the 185/65 MRFs, because in the test i conducted an ertiga with a 185/65 goodyear stopped upto 4 feet earlier.

I dont know what to do..

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
I doubt the fuel pump working or the fuel lines are taking in air I guess.

Can you see what is the fuel rail pressure that you are achieving?

Check the turbo plumbing and boost pressure achieved.

Anurag.
I think it is about the turbo . When tried reading about the same problem being reported by other ertiga users, i found this.
Please check this link out.
http://www.carwale.com/marutisuzuki-...ews/34320.html

This might be the problem for me too.

Last edited by manson : 23rd June 2014 at 14:01. Reason: Fixed quotes
ManuRowaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Review: My Maruti Suzuki Ertiga ZDi a4anurag Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 38 29th November 2015 18:13
For Taxi: 2012 Chevy Tavera vs Maruti Ertiga vs Chevy Enjoy? EDIT: Bought Ertiga ZDi M35 SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s 21 9th January 2015 06:48
FAB makes way for LUV - Maruti Ertiga VDi Review rohin4110 Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 14 2nd June 2014 20:32


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 03:42.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks