Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 19th January 2016, 13:23   #2701
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: chennai
Posts: 135
Thanked: 39 Times
Default Re: Maruti Ertiga : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by niranjanprabhu View Post
Balaji, I test drove the new diesel with SHVS and did not find any significant perceptible improvement in low end torque/power which according to me is a serious issue on the diesel Ertiga.
Thanks for your note. I am yet to do the TD. I will take this point in account when I try. In general, I have tried driving multiple cars (from my friends) and for me turbo lag wasn't an issue most of the times.
Balaji31582 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2016, 15:20   #2702
Senior - BHPian
 
amalji's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kochi
Posts: 1,111
Thanked: 1,223 Times
Post Re: Maruti Ertiga : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by niranjanprabhu View Post
Balaji, I test drove the new diesel with SHVS and did not find any significant perceptible improvement in low end torque/power which according to me is a serious issue on the diesel Ertiga.
The intend of the torque boost is not to increase the torque. What it does is to help take some load of the diesel engine so that the efficiency is increased. And even for this to happen, several criteria needs to be met like
  • The battery terminal voltage should be above a certain threshold
  • The battery charge should be above a certain threshold
  • The engine should have already reached the normal operating temperature
  • Throttle position between lower and upper threshold

Courtesy - Rajan Sir of Autoteam Maruti Servize Zone, Kochi for giving the above info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balaji31582 View Post
Thanks for your note. I am yet to do the TD. I will take this point in account when I try. In general, I have tried driving multiple cars (from my friends) and for me turbo lag wasn't an issue most of the times.
Turbo lag becomes an issue when you drive in a city and when you want to zip through the traffic. I recently drove a 1.5L VW Diesel Polo and was waiting for ever for the turbo to spool up. Same is the case with any vehicle with a big turbo charger ( compared to the engine size ).

You get to appreciate the goodness of lack of turbo lag when you start driving the lagless engine through the city traffic. Prime examples being the Honda i-Dtec, Renault Diesels ( the smaller PS ones ) and even the Etios D-4D. On the highway, what you need is not hard acceleration, but better dynamics, braking, tall gearing for effortless cruising, Give me any turbo charged Diesel car in India with more than 150 Nm of torque, and I can bet that I'll reach a 500 km destination in almost the same time. So, all of that additional PS doesn't matter much in real world driving even though it might matter in a drag racing. But, having a lagless engine reduces your driving stress multi fold in city traffic conditions which you will encounter a lot in India.

I consider the Honda Diesel engine as the best of both worlds. It has the power for fast highway drives, and it performs equally good on city traffic conditions.
Another one which performs flawlessly in both these conditions is the Ford Figo Aspire's new diesel - 215 Nm from 1750 rpms to 3000 rpms!
An engine, I'm eagerly waiting for is the Toyota 1.4 Euro 6 Diesel. It will give you 205 Nm of torque from as low an rpm as 1400 rpms all the way upto 2800 rpms! Hopefully, it might make its debut in an year or two on Vios & Corolla.
amalji is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2016, 15:30   #2703
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 34
Thanked: 12 Times
Default Re: Maruti Ertiga : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balaji31582 View Post
Hi friends,
I am looking for a new car and ertiga diesel is also in my option. I am looking at VDI model.
I happened to see "torque assist" as one of the technology available. I tried searching elsewhere but couldn't get the understanding. Apologies if this is already discussed in this thread. Can somebody enlighten me on this?
Also, I am based out of chennai. Could friends from chennai let me know what is the average fuel consumption that i can expect and which service center/dealer could be considered?
I own a Diesel SHVS VDI. I donot see any significant difference in Torque assist. SHVS kicks in when accelerating for a few a seconds and battery charges when I am not on the accelerator. Regarding FE I am still to do measure a full tank to tank. The instrument panel shows

I am from Bangalore so will not be able to recommend MSIL in Chennai.

12 - Bumper to Bumper traffic mostly 2-3 gears
14-16 Moderate traffic with 2-3-4 occasional 5
18-22+ Highway at 80-90 mostly 5
speedkrish is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2016, 15:59   #2704
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 49
Thanked: 95 Times
Default Re: Maruti Ertiga : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
The intend of the torque boost is not to increase the torque. What it does is to help take some load of the diesel engine so that the efficiency is increased. And even for this to happen, several criteria needs to be met like
Amalji, thanks a ton for that absolutely awesome reply. Enlightened!
niranjanprabhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2016, 17:39   #2705
BHPian
 
swiftdiesel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: EDI/CDG/MAA/SIN
Posts: 748
Thanked: 762 Times
Default Re: Maruti Ertiga : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
Turbo lag becomes an issue when you drive in a city and when you want to zip through the traffic. I recently drove a 1.5L VW Diesel Polo and was waiting for ever for the turbo to spool up. Same is the case with any vehicle with a big turbo charger ( compared to the engine size ).
Surprised you said that on the Polo because I took an extensive test drive of the Vento (bigger car) with the 1.5 TDI and it was one of the most lag free engines I've driven. Of course, the brute force of the 1.6 was slightly missed but nowhere laggy. Acceleration was linear and tractable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
On the highway, what you need is not hard acceleration, but better dynamics, braking, tall gearing for effortless cruising, Give me any turbo charged Diesel car in India with more than 150 Nm of torque, and I can bet that I'll reach a 500 km destination in almost the same time.
Actually, not quite and hard acceleration is very important in the highway and the engine's eagerness at those speeds matter. My family and my cousin's family had to attend a wedding in Madurai, a distance of 480 kms from Chennai. We started together, me in my Ertiga and they in their Fortuner and within seconds the Fortuner disappeared on the highway and as much as I tried, I couldn't even spot it until our next pit stop. And at every ~200 kms, they had to wait at least 20-30 minutes for me to catch up! In fact, at lunch time, they finished their lunch and were leaving while we entered!

The same stretch of (Salem-Ulundurpet) NH68 that I do on the Lodgy shaves off almost 40 minutes in comparison to the Ertiga.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
I consider the Honda Diesel engine as the best of both worlds. It has the power for fast highway drives, and it performs equally good on city traffic conditions.
Again, surprised. I've extensively driven my cousin's Mobilio in the city and the highway. While in the city it's lag free, the same cannot be said on the highway. Yes, it's par for the course but the i-DTEC is not eager to do 3 digit speeds on the highway and I always get the feeling that it'd rather do slower speeds better than high speed cruising.

Sorry to go off-topic, folks, back to Ertiga discussion now.
swiftdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2016, 17:58   #2706
Senior - BHPian
 
amalji's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kochi
Posts: 1,111
Thanked: 1,223 Times
Post Re: Maruti Ertiga : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by niranjanprabhu View Post
Amalji, thanks a ton for that absolutely awesome reply. Enlightened!
I'll list down all cases here.

For Engine Auto shutdown @ idle on Neutral
  1. Driver side seatbelt should be fastened
  2. Driver side door should be closed
  3. Bonnet should be closed.
  4. Vehicle speed should be less than 3 kmph
  5. Engine rpm should be at idle speed
  6. AC shouldn't be put into Auto Mode
  7. Engine should have warmed up to operating temperature
  8. Battery voltage and strength should be above a threshold.
  9. Brake booster vacuum should be above a minimum threshold.
  10. No trouble codes related to SHVS system
  11. Vehicle shouldn't be on a slope

For engine automatic restart without clutch depress
  1. If the vehicle starts to slide down a slope
  2. If brake vacuum is below the minimum threshold
  3. If AC need to turns ON to maintain the set temperature.
  4. If Battery charge below threshold
  5. If it's 3 minutes since auto stoppage

In addition to the above, there is a manual override button as well.

Torque boost works the following conditions.
  1. There should be a throttle input in the range specified
  2. Brakes shouldn't be depressed
  3. Battery is fully charged
  4. No headlights ON

Another interesting thing is that the vehicle restart when clutch is depressed is performed by the ISG ( Integrated Starter Generator ) and not the starter motor while the normal start is handled by the starter motor. Not sure about why it's done so though.

Courtesy - The director of Autoteam Maruti Service Zone, Kochi - Rajan Sir

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftdiesel View Post
Surprised you said that on the Polo because I took an extensive test drive of the Vento (bigger car) with the 1.5 TDI and it was one of the most lag free engines I've driven. Of course, the brute force of the 1.6 was slightly missed but nowhere laggy. Acceleration was linear and tractable.
The first thing I did when I felt this was to check the comments on team-bhp. And I saw people said there is no lag. But, my friend - Ashok who was driving my Etios said that the Etios felt much quicker in the city. And it was infact the same feeling that I got. Only 2 reasons I could think of.
  1. Turbo lag
  2. The pollution cheat device of the VW at work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftdiesel View Post
Actually, not quite and hard acceleration is very important in the highway and the engine's eagerness at those speeds matter. My family and my cousin's family had to attend a wedding in Madurai, a distance of 480 kms from Chennai. We started together, me in my Ertiga and they in their Fortuner and within seconds the Fortuner disappeared on the highway and as much as I tried, I couldn't even spot it until our next pit stop. And at every ~200 kms, they had to wait at least 20-30 minutes for me to catch up! In fact, at lunch time, they finished their lunch and were leaving while we entered!
It depends on the kind of gear shifts you do and the speed at which you plan to cruise at.
If your cruising speed is 140 kmph, these high value PS numbers doesn't matter. You can easily be on that speed all day on a lagless 68 PS engine. It's relative speed that saves you time, not acceleration. And any speed over 140 kmph, I don't consider it safe on Indian highways for consistent cruising. You can do short bursts though.

The fastest, I've done in the Kochi - Trivandrum highway is using a 1000 cc Maruti Suzuki Zen ( not mentioning the numbers here because I do not want to promote unhealthy competition ), not with the 90 PS Esteem or the 170 Nm torque Etios Diesel. So, it was just the driving skills and mood which limits me in getting good timings on Indian Highways, not the lack of PS numbers. Slot it in the right gears, reach a good cruising speed and you will clock good highway timings. PS doesn't matter at all. But, if you are doing a drag race, yes it matters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftdiesel View Post
Again, surprised. I've extensively driven my cousin's Mobilio in the city and the highway. While in the city it's lag free, the same cannot be said on the highway. Yes, it's par for the course but the i-DTEC is not eager to do 3 digit speeds on the highway and I always get the feeling that it'd rather do slower speeds better than high speed cruising.
I haven't tried the Mobilio, but I've tried both the Amaze and City ( using the same engine ). Both of them are gems for fast driving . Mobilio, I don't think is a worthy 7 seater anyway ( not because of the engine though ) because its 3rd row seating is downright pathetic compared to the Ertiga's

Last edited by Zappo : 20th January 2016 at 16:21. Reason: As requested by the OP
amalji is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2016, 00:09   #2707
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 107
Thanked: 48 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default Re: Maruti Ertiga : Official Review

car power window closer/ power window roll up FR-4WA for 4 door universal for different cars

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/car-p...451318411_6451

Can this mod done on the ertiga new or old.

Parag please advise
fuzail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2016, 18:38   #2708
Senior - BHPian
 
amalji's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kochi
Posts: 1,111
Thanked: 1,223 Times
Post Re: Maruti Ertiga : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzail View Post
car power window closer/ power window roll up FR-4WA for 4 door universal for different cars

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/car-p...451318411_6451

Can this mod done on the ertiga new or old.

Parag please advise
Why would you want to do such modes, especially since it's not a Maruti Genuine Accessory. A closed window even affects your safety in case of an unfortunate incidents like fire/accident. Don't take risk with these 3rd party products. You might end up in a really bad situation due to these non-MGA modifications.
amalji is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2016, 19:18   #2709
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Belur/Bangalore
Posts: 3,444
Thanked: 7,748 Times
Default Re: Maruti Ertiga : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzail View Post
car power window closer/ power window roll up FR-4WA for 4 door universal for different cars

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/car-p...451318411_6451

Can this mod done on the ertiga new or old.

Parag please advise
Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
Why would you want to do such modes, especially since it's not a Maruti Genuine Accessory. A closed window even affects your safety in case of an unfortunate incidents like fire/accident. Don't take risk with these 3rd party products. You might end up in a really bad situation due to these non-MGA modifications.
Quite agree with amalji here. One of the primary reasons for not installing this up-module is the Safety itself. I would stay away from this unless genuinely necessary.

Installation is not at all cumbersome and there are a lot of friends who have done in their cars (Not an Ertiga though). However, I still remember a case with a Scorpio that started emanating burning smell while we were on a group drive and the culprit turned out to be this up-module that he had installed.

My take on this is - Really not worth an accessory that you want to install at all.
paragsachania is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2016, 13:11   #2710
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 107
Thanked: 48 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default Carplay Problem in Maruti Suzuki Smartplay Infotainment System

Dear Friends

I have an Ertiga Zdi+ equipped with Maruti Suzuki Smartplay Infotainment System. In the Carplay mode my iphone disconnects frequently. I have attached the video of problem. I am using an Iphone 6s with original apple cable.


Any Solutions please.
fuzail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2016, 13:22   #2711
BHPian
 
csnanjappa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 229
Thanked: 39 Times
Default Re: Carplay Problem in Maruti Suzuki Smartplay Infotainment System

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzail View Post
Dear Friends

I have an Ertiga Zdi+ equipped with Maruti Suzuki Smartplay Infotainment System. In the Carplay mode my iphone disconnects frequently. I have attached the video of problem. I am using an Iphone 6s with original apple cable.


Any Solutions please.
I cannot watch the video and i am not sure what do you mean by disconnects. From what i remember if you want the iCarplay working you need have your iPhone unlocked all the time . If the phone locks car play would disconnected , go to iPhone setting and set auto unlock to 'Never" and check if it works
csnanjappa is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2016, 13:26   #2712
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 107
Thanked: 48 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default Re: Carplay Problem in Maruti Suzuki Smartplay Infotainment System

Quote:
Originally Posted by csnanjappa View Post
I cannot watch the video and i am not sure what do you mean by disconnects. From what i remember if you want the iCarplay working you need have your iPhone unlocked all the time . If the phone locks car play would disconnected , go to iPhone setting and set auto unlock to 'Never" and check if it works
Video is playable. If you cannot watch ,please click the link on top of the video to watch it on Youtube.Iphone is unlocked all times. Tested on my Ertiga as well as on a Ciaz. Same problem.

Last edited by fuzail : 2nd February 2016 at 13:28.
fuzail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2016, 14:09   #2713
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Namma Bengaluru
Posts: 1,016
Thanked: 1,377 Times
Default Re: Carplay Problem in Maruti Suzuki Smartplay Infotainment System

Have you checked the settings in the iPhone about CarPlay? Like this - http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-7FXse62aE1...CPSettings.png

Refer to this article as well if it helps - http://www.appradioworld.com/2015/09...e-carplay.html
abirnale is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2016, 14:22   #2714
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 107
Thanked: 48 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default Re: Carplay Problem in Maruti Suzuki Smartplay Infotainment System

Quote:
Originally Posted by abirnale View Post
Have you checked the settings in the iPhone about CarPlay? Like this - http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-7FXse62aE1...CPSettings.png

Refer to this article as well if it helps - http://www.appradioworld.com/2015/09...e-carplay.html
All settings as suggested are taken care. As you see in the video the phone is connected but after sometime or during a call as seen ,it disconnects. The problem has been referred to MASS,Maruti regional office. They have acknowledged the problem . Even the MASS Manager has spoken to the BOSCH helpline but no solution till date.
fuzail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2016, 16:30   #2715
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 102
Thanked: 15 Times
Default Re: Maruti Ertiga : Official Review

Friends, is there a way to upgrade the preloaded maps that come with ZXi+; apart from getting it done by the dealers? The one that I have isn't the latest and would like to upgrade it.
Haque is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Review: My Maruti Suzuki Ertiga ZDi a4anurag Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 38 29th November 2015 18:13
For Taxi: 2012 Chevy Tavera vs Maruti Ertiga vs Chevy Enjoy? EDIT: Bought Ertiga ZDi M35 SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s 21 9th January 2015 06:48
FAB makes way for LUV - Maruti Ertiga VDi Review rohin4110 Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 14 2nd June 2014 20:32


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 15:11.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks