Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 19th November 2012, 12:12   #706
Distinguished - BHPian
 
swiftnfurious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 6,162
Thanked: 5,049 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas
^^ Would say its a case of SA trying to push his monthly sales figures. If you compare what SA said and what volkman10 mentioned in post 702 you can catch the bluff. For a model which has a waiting period of around 3 months there is no way car manufactured in Dec 12 is going to take 6 months to reach its customer. Give a delay of around 3 weeks for a car to come out of factory and reach customer.
The way I understood what he said is 'the 2012 chassis will be used till Mar'2013' which makes me think they have a lot of component stocks? I still don't believe that there will be so many vendors who could make so much chassis & give it to Maruti. We are kind of looking at around 24,000 units to be available with Maruti by Dec 2012 (if what the SA told is right).

To me the only confusion is what he might have meant by 'chassis' & what all components are included.

It also raises a doubt what date is mentioned in the VIN - is it the date of manufacture of chassis components or is it the time of assembling the entire car (which I assume happens in 2-3 hours time)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandjha
Saw it in yesterday's Delhi Times of The Times of India. Perhaps the first diesel car with discount. Even if it is exchange bonus which wasn't available even in the outgoing Swift. Is Ertiga feeling the heat? Is it precursor to further discounts in the future?
No heat at all. The discount is not really a discount, rather an exchange bonus. I believe this is applicable for petrol version alone. Even the petrol version has a waiting period. Diesel waiting period with some dealers are as high as 6 months.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 19th November 2012 at 12:18.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2012, 13:07   #707
Senior - BHPian
 
mpksuhas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: KA03/KL11
Posts: 2,457
Thanked: 2,634 Times
Default Re: Maruti Ertiga : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
Really scary and sorry for the driver and his family. It is clear he was overspeeding and looks like car did a nose dive below the bridge and landed on its face at pretty high speed.

Not sure if any car can survive such plunge. but did it leave the road due to any stability issue ?
There was some update in Accidents in India thread regarding these pics. What is mentioned if true is even scarier, as per driver's wife and kids it seems he complained steering was not responding before crash.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ml#post2966103
mpksuhas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2012, 14:51   #708
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 352
Thanked: 51 Times
Default Re: Maruti Ertiga : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by h14 View Post
seems he had panicked as the steering did not respond and he had told his wife that the steering has locked and eventually it dragged him to the left extreme, hit the pillar and toppled over.
Just read another thread about Figo steering lock issue (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ocks-move.html (Ford Figo's dangerous behaviour : Steering locks on the move!)) and then saw this one. This is really scary.
mohan41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2012, 15:18   #709
BHPian
 
ultimatechamp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 405
Thanked: 50 Times
Default Re: Maruti Ertiga : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Diesel waiting period with some dealers are as high as 6 months.
This is known from the day Ertiga was launched this year with diesel variant.
I personally booked a Silky Silver ZDi with alloys in June 2012 and am still waiting as because when I booked, the probable delay was given as 9 months.


My friend got his white VDi though about a month back, although he booked much later than me. I have been called by my dealer first saying that a blue ZDi was despatched,am I interested. I said no obviously. Then later I got a call asking whether I want a white VDi, again I said no. Last time it was a white ZDI without alloys,and again I had to say no. I have no hurry though, and I am sticking to my choice of Silky Silver ZDi with alloys.
ultimatechamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2012, 16:19   #710
Senior - BHPian
 
rajshenoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: bangalore
Posts: 1,751
Thanked: 560 Times
Default Re: Maruti Ertiga : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatechamp View Post
I personally booked a Silky Silver ZDi with alloys in June 2012 and am still waiting as because when I booked, the probable delay was given as 9 months.


My friend got his white VDi though about a month back, although he booked much later than me.
Constrast between Renault and Maruti. Renault seems to be pushing for the sale of high end duster(and 110 motor over 85) where as in case of maruti, one can get Vdi faster but not Zdi

I am trying to analyze the two scenarios and makes me believe that maruti is genuinely facing shortage of components which is why it is pushing Vdi(sans airbags, alloys etc)

But what about Renault ? Greedy ?
rajshenoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2012, 16:38   #711
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 32
Thanked: 19 Times
Default Re: Maruti Ertiga : Official Review

Today, while fitting new seat covers for my Ertiga, I have noticed that the 3d row back rest has lot of play. Can other Ertiga owners confirm whether this is normal or not? Ever since I bought the vehicle (40 days ago), I was driving all the time with the last row folded down, so never noticed this issue before. The hinge is locking properly, but the back rest is moving about an inch back and forth. For me this looks unusual.
nistala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2012, 16:59   #712
BHPian
 
ultimatechamp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 405
Thanked: 50 Times
Default Re: Maruti Ertiga : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
Constrast between Renault and Maruti. Renault seems to be pushing for the sale of high end duster(and 110 motor over 85)
The 'push' as you mention is only from the dealers and dealer sales personnels IMO,and NOT from MSIL. Probably to meet month end targets, the dealerships and their sales representatives keep 'pushing' customers, like in my case , to buy VDis instead of the higher ZDi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
where as in case of maruti, one can get Vdi faster but not Zdi

I am trying to analyze the two scenarios and makes me believe that maruti is genuinely facing shortage of components which is why it is pushing Vdi(sans airbags, alloys etc)
The so called 'facing shortage of components' was an initial-days-of-Ertiga story so far as alloy wheels were concerned,AFAIK. Is the shortage of components still there ? Did not MSIL expect the heavy demand of Ertiga and diesel Ertiga for that matter, before its official launch and thereafter as well ? If there were so many Ertiga produced ( any variants ) then there should have been that many components available for each car , isn't it ? The so called capacity of producing Ertiga ( again say Diesel variants ) by MSIL should have matched the projected demand , if me as a Orthopaedic Surgeon could realize that , why did not MSIL realize it ?
AFAIK, MSIL till date have not come out with an official explanation about the huge delay in delivery of this particular car ? why ? So many unanswered question remains !
ultimatechamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2012, 17:09   #713
Senior - BHPian
 
rajshenoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: bangalore
Posts: 1,751
Thanked: 560 Times
Default Re: Maruti Ertiga : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatechamp View Post
The 'push' as you mention is only from the dealers and dealer sales personnels IMO,and NOT from MSIL. Probably to meet month end targets, the dealerships and their sales representatives keep 'pushing' customers, like in my case , to buy VDis instead of the higher ZDi.
....
I agree with you, I was only comparing the pattern of Customers getting cheaper Vdis much faster as compared to Renault where costlier you want to buy, faster you get.

Not sure if we can assume that Maruti expected only few takers for Zdi since Vdi had almost everything to keep the Common man happy(including ABS), but because Ertiga Vdi and Zdi, not much price difference, and since we are talking about a 10Lakh vehicle here, people wont mind shelling few extra thousands to get complete package

I am eying Ertiga since its launch and till date i am yet to see any alternatives, Though Honda announced MPV based on Brio, it will only make it in 2015 i guess. even not much to hear from Toyota and Renault seems to be busy and greedy.

I expect Ertiga to enjoy the sales for next couple of years. so waiting period is here to stay
rajshenoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2012, 20:23   #714
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 19
Thanked: Once
Default Re: Maruti Ertiga : Official Review

HI guys i was going through the reviews and the everyone seems to be going for the diesel Ertiga,

I just was calculating the difference between Diesel and Petrol top end variants and figured out the difference was somewhere around 1.6Lakhs, My running will not be so high, approximately 10000kms/year that comes to less than 30kms/day, so will diesel fit in my needs ?? what are the reviews of the Petrol motor ?? how much average can i expect in city and on Highway ??
Is the petrol motor good for highway drives ? Maintenance of diesel is cheaper or Petrol? .... i tend to neglect the periodic services and prolong the intervals between services due to work stress and work timings, so which motor will be a little more forgiving (diesel or petrol)?

your reviews and suggestions are welcomed. i am seriously planning to buy this vehicle but am in dilemma of petrol or diesel.
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2012, 22:24   #715
Distinguished - BHPian
 
swiftnfurious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 6,162
Thanked: 5,049 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman
...My running will not be so high, approximately 10000kms/year that comes to less than 30kms/day, so will diesel fit in my needs ?? what are the reviews of the Petrol motor ?? how much average can i expect in city and on Highway ??
Is the petrol motor good for highway drives ? Maintenance of diesel is cheaper or Petrol? .... i tend to neglect the periodic services and prolong the intervals between services due to work stress and work timings, so which motor will be a little more forgiving (diesel or petrol)?....
I guess a petrol will make sense for you since yor are going to be travelling only for around 10K kms / year. I guess you can expect 12-13 in city &17-18 in highway for petrol. Petrol engine will be better forgiving (its a K-Series engine) & will be cheaper to maintain too.

To give a comparison, my friend has finalized Ertiga as his next buy. He was impressed so much with diesel Ertiga as we drove it first. After driving the petrol variant, he changed his mind. :-)

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 19th November 2012 at 22:25.
swiftnfurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2012, 23:02   #716
BHPian
 
mohandas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 263
Thanked: 26 Times
Default Re: Maruti Ertiga : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
I guess a petrol will make sense for you since yor are going to be travelling only for around 10K kms / year.
I do not agree on the above statement. Why?
  • Resale value of Diesel Ertiga. You will have to run from pillar to post to sell your petrol ertiga.
  • Joy of filling up the tank with subsidized diesel is priceless.
If I were you, I would buy the diesel any day.
mohandas is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2012, 11:51   #717
BHPian
 
nurni76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Gurgaon/BLR
Posts: 844
Thanked: 305 Times
Default Re: Maruti Ertiga : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by nistala View Post
Today, while fitting new seat covers for my Ertiga, I have noticed that the 3d row back rest has lot of play. Can other Ertiga owners confirm whether this is normal or not? Ever since I bought the vehicle (40 days ago), I was driving all the time with the last row folded down, so never noticed this issue before. The hinge is locking properly, but the back rest is moving about an inch back and forth. For me this looks unusual.
@ nistala, this is a problem with Ertiga. In my ZDi also, there is a lot of play in the last seat back rest. I guess this is a design thing and quite irritating.
nurni76 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2012, 12:31   #718
Distinguished - BHPian
 
swiftnfurious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 6,162
Thanked: 5,049 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohandas
....You will have to run from pillar to post to sell your petrol ertiga.
Any examples to quote? Heard of TruValue? One call & those guys will come to your home, assess your car & buy it for a fair price. You might get a 10K more when you sell it to an individual. While I agree that diesel will have a higher resale, buying a car for better resale value primarily is a flawed approach of ownership.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohandas
...[*]Joy of filling up the tank with subsidized diesel is priceless.If I were you, I would buy the diesel any day.
I know a whole lot of people who think like this. They run merely 500-600 kms a month, but pay close to 1.5L premium for the diesel version, higher maintenance costs just for the pleasure of paying less for fuel & never realise that had they bought the petrol, their total cost of owneership would have been lesser.

For numbers, please refer to some threads on it. Personally I dont think a diesel car makes sense if it runs less than 15,000 kms per year for atleast 5 years to recover the cost. Also some of the new petrol engines are reasonably fuel efficient bringing down the gap.
swiftnfurious is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2012, 14:45   #719
BHPian
 
vinodv001's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 84
Thanked: 96 Times
Default Re: Maruti Ertiga : Official Review

Some design issues with that, that play is there in all the vehicles.

Maruti could have provided seats similar to 1st gen WagonR: 50-50 split foldable seats. I was thinking whether we can modify Ertiga's 3rd row seat into 50-50.


Quote:
Originally Posted by nistala View Post
Today, while fitting new seat covers for my Ertiga, I have noticed that the 3d row back rest has lot of play. Can other Ertiga owners confirm whether this is normal or not? Ever since I bought the vehicle (40 days ago), I was driving all the time with the last row folded down, so never noticed this issue before. The hinge is locking properly, but the back rest is moving about an inch back and forth. For me this looks unusual.
vinodv001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2012, 14:50   #720
BHPian
 
ultimatechamp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 405
Thanked: 50 Times
Default Re: Maruti Ertiga : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Any examples to quote? Heard of TruValue? One call & those guys will come to your home, assess your car & buy it for a fair price. You might get a 10K more when you sell it to an individual. While I agree that diesel will have a higher resale, buying a car for better resale value primarily is a flawed approach of ownership.
Both mohandas and snf are true in their respective statements, in the sense that it is primarily a well known fact (which again snf have rightly acknowledged ) that diesel has a higher resale value. Possibly because Ertiga is relatively big and primarily a people mover,chances of diesel ones becoming second hand taxis in future are more,in respect to petrol variants


Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Personally I dont think a diesel car makes sense if it runs less than 15,000 kms per year for atleast 5 years to recover the cost. Also some of the new petrol engines are reasonably fuel efficient bringing down the gap.
Loads of people all over India have bought small hatchbacks,so called city run-abouts over last couple of years in diesel variants, once price of petrol was decontrolled by Government. If we think, each person who bought a diesel hatchback to save fuel cost , a foolish person and one who doesn't know the rule of thumb that you don't need a diesel car if you run around for 50-60 Kms/day , then we are bigger fools. Each one have their own respective needs, financial capacities, their own calculations, own curious perspective, so far as buying a diesel or a petrol car. It is a well known fact that diesel cost less than petrol, but then diesel car cost more initially.

I personally am buying a diesel variant as because,IMO, it is a better driver's car ONLY on the highway. My personal need for Ertiga is for my highway cruises and not city runs. I travel frequently and only by road.
Diesel Ertiga with their extra weight and VGT engines are a tad slow in the city rush-hour stop-n-go traffic below 2000-2100 rpm. But once in the highway,as the turbo kicks in, it is a pleasure to drive especially in the meaty mid power band. So I am buying a diesel, happily paying the extra dough for my own driving pleasure. I was persistently insisted by the SA when I booked, to book a ZXi, as they said I would get the car earlier and with identical features. I refrained from getting leered into booking the petrol Ertiga at that time, after my test drives.

Those who want a people mover in the city, can go for the petrol version. Another of my colleague has got the VXi from the very initial days, as because he stays about 1.5 kms from his workplace. If he ever goes on a holiday, it is always by train/plane.So should he have bought diesel ? Certainly not. My 2 cents
ultimatechamp is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Review: My Maruti Suzuki Ertiga ZDi a4anurag Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 38 29th November 2015 18:13
For Taxi: 2012 Chevy Tavera vs Maruti Ertiga vs Chevy Enjoy? EDIT: Bought Ertiga ZDi M35 SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s 21 9th January 2015 06:48
FAB makes way for LUV - Maruti Ertiga VDi Review rohin4110 Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 14 2nd June 2014 20:32


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 03:41.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks