Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2014, 16:57   #91
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 181
Thanked: 141 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav2000 View Post
Got my car this morning and promptly went for a tyre change. The jetta cl now comes with the 320 system including Bluetooth. Also the sharkfin antenna. New type of alloys as well.
Congrats on your new car.. Does the RCD 320 have on screen parking assistance display?
What color is it? By any chance a black with KA 41 registration..
etrast75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2014, 16:59   #92
BHPian
 
mav2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 556
Thanked: 114 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Jetta 1.4 TSI : Official Review

Hi guys, thanks for the wishes. I bought a white one as that was the only color available in the tsi comfortline. Changed the tyres to Pirelli p7 at madhus. Nikhil was kind enough to be there at the time, so got a chance to meet him as well. Costed me 2.6k per tyre.
mav2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2014, 10:58   #93
BHPian
 
mav2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 556
Thanked: 114 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by etrast75 View Post
Congrats on your new car.. Does the RCD 320 have on screen parking assistance display?
What color is it? By any chance a black with KA 41 registration..
Yes, it does have the RCD 320, but without rear speakers. As long as you are in the front seats the system sounds decent enough. There is no OPS screen on the RCD 320, but it does have BT. Its not black, but white.


Went for a 450 kms round trip to the Golden Temple in Sripuram. The car is like a rock that cant be moved. Just superb stability.

As I had said earlier, I had the tyres changed to Pirellis P7 and they are extremely silent and work beautifully. Very grippy as well. The only con I could feel while driving is that sometimes I feel like its tramlining. Maybe its new and still needs to be run in though. The top speed I touched was around 140 and on an average I was at 100-120. Great mileage at 100-120 with the OSD showing around 15+ kmpl.

I will have to test city mileage, but I am hoping for somewhere around 9-11. If I get that much in Bangalore traffic I will be more than happy.

Roads on the other side of the border are superlative. I wonder why Karnataka cannot have better roads.
mav2000 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2014, 20:57   #94
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 375
Thanked: 267 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Jetta 1.4 TSI : Official Review

Hi mav2000

how has been your experience so far. any niggles or issues. what is the mileage that you are getting
Mohan Mathew A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2015, 23:07   #95
R17
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 108
Thanked: 21 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Jetta 1.4 TSI : Official Review

Has anyone ever considered fitting a CNG kit to the Jetta? Is it advisable/feasible for such a large, heavy car?

*Noob here on CNG issues who would like to understand feasibility this option for FE benefits*
R17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2015, 00:02   #96
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 58
Thanked: 17 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Jetta 1.4 TSI : Official Review

I have a Cruze LTZ AT (2010) and it's road tax is due soon. It has been a great car for me, 51000km mostly driven by me, though I have had several issues with the AC. Last year I drove my cousin's Polo GT TSI and I was really impressed. Took a test drive of the Jetta TSI, I was further impressed by it's superior handling and feel.

Recently I have been seriously thinking about not paying the road tax of my Cruze and rather selling it before that. There are several options in my mind, but the Jetta TSI is really what I want even though that would stretch my budget a bit. Yes, it is not as powerful as my Cruze, it is not automatic either, but probably I wouldn't care. The Jetta has all the features I need, and excels in all safety features. and has a clearly superior feel. I think my mind has become a petrol mind. If I can make a wish, these will be the features I want:

1. Decent power (100+ BHP at least), good low end torque. These are qualitative statements, but the standard of the TSIs are good for me.
2. Stability: really matters. The Cruze is stable, but ever since I test drove the Jetta, my perceptions have changed. Am I wrong?
3. Good build quality: again, my Cruze is good and I was not looking at anything other than Volkswagen or Skoda this time around.
4. I don't care about a sunroof. Electrically foldable ORVMs would be good. Auto-dimming and heated mirrors also would be welcome. Xenon lamps would be cool, but for that I can't afford to pay 5lakhs more, or choose a cheaper car which does not have the driving and handling quality.
5. I care about ESP, Airbags and the safety features. I don't commute to work everyday in my car, but I often make very long distance tours on our great but risky highways.
6. Tilt and telescoping steering, height adjustment of driver seat, but I don't care if it's manual. I want a music system that can play music from USB / SD Card. I am tired of burning CDs. But I don't need a touchscreen. I need a parking sensor, but I have managed fairly well without a camera all these years.
7. Good AC, rear AC vents. Automatic climate control.
8. Oh and I really think I want a petrol.

The on road price for the Comfortline Jetta 1.4TSI is 17.6L approx. Pretty high. I have been also thinking about Vento TSI or Polo GT TSI. They are a lot cheaper, but won't feel better than my Cruze. Economically keeping the Cruze may still be better unless I buy a really cheap car, and not that I can afford any amount of money, so I might decide against the idea of a new car and simply keep my Cruze as well.

The VW dealer in Kolkata do not have a test drive vehicle for Jetta TSI anymore. I have read the review here, but when I took a test drive it really did not sound like a well refined diesel. I did not push the engine too hard though, but at 100-110km/h the car was really silent. I really like the fact that the 2nd and 3rd gears cover a huge range. I like automatic, but if the manual is really good, I would not mind it. Oh - the situation of Skoda is really poor in Kolkata, not sure about the service. Also, the 1.4 Octavia TSI has an inferior suspension and only 2 airbags than the Jetta. The 1.8TSI would be great, but it's just way too costly and risky being a Skoda.

Requesting your opinions, dear BHPians.

Last edited by ampere : 17th June 2015 at 20:04. Reason: Removed High speed related mentions. Not allowed on the forum
deb_majumdar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2015, 18:38   #97
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Chennai
Posts: 317
Thanked: 275 Times
Default

I would go for Octavia, it is on the next generation of the platform and looks a lot more modern. Plus huge space and boot. The rear suspension should not be a big issue from what I hear.
84.monsoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2016, 08:41   #98
BHPian
 
Aston Singh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Pune
Posts: 324
Thanked: 151 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Jetta 1.4 TSI : Official Review

Guys, I have shortlisted a pre-owned Jetta TSI, 2013 Jan registered with 41k kms on the odometer. How reliable is the petrol variant as compared to the diesel one? And any specific parts that might need replacement in a year or two since the car is around 3 and half years old?
Any valuable inputs from Jetta TSI owners would be really helpful. My running is mostly within city limits and some weekends Pune-Mumbai-Pune. So I roughly clock around 12-14k kms in a year so I don't really need a diesel. But Jetta driving dynamics would be a joy on the expressway

Last edited by Aston Singh : 27th June 2016 at 08:44.
Aston Singh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2016, 12:07   #99
Senior - BHPian
 
Tanveer_2558's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,354
Thanked: 1,315 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Jetta 1.4 TSI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aston Singh View Post
Guys, I have shortlisted a pre-owned Jetta TSI, 2013 Jan registered with 41k kms on the odometer. How reliable is the petrol variant as compared to the diesel one? And any specific parts that might need replacement in a year or two since the car is around 3 and half years old?
Any valuable inputs from Jetta TSI owners would be really helpful. My running is mostly within city limits and some weekends Pune-Mumbai-Pune. So I roughly clock around 12-14k kms in a year so I don't really need a diesel. But Jetta driving dynamics would be a joy on the expressway
1.4TSI is pretty reliable, In the works internationally since long, And its a pretty nice engine to have, Not a performance one but does hit the spot well and has adequate power for the over-taking,

@41k, Check the service history of the car, You'll probably have to change the brake pads if they are still aren't changed already, Driving dynamics are amazing of the jetta which surely you'll enjoy.
Tanveer_2558 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2016, 12:34   #100
BHPian
 
Aston Singh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Pune
Posts: 324
Thanked: 151 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Jetta 1.4 TSI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer_2558 View Post
1.4TSI is pretty reliable, In the works internationally since long, And its a pretty nice engine to have, Not a performance one but does hit the spot well and has adequate power for the over-taking,

@41k, Check the service history of the car, You'll probably have to change the brake pads if they are still aren't changed already, Driving dynamics are amazing of the jetta which surely you'll enjoy.
It's due for service at 45k that will need engine oil replacement, air filter cleaning/replacement, spark plugs inspect or replace etc; basic regular maintenance for petrol cars I am hoping.

Tyres need to be replaced ASAP which is great cause I had no intentions of keeping stock Goodyears! Despite such poor condition of tyres and the heavy downpour in Mumbai, brakes were just great and the guy mentioned that the brake pads were replaced a few months back. So I am going to try and get that service record from him.

And I just had a look at the last service record; there was work done for front door and rear door latch. Both were replaced and along with that the fuel lid actuator was also replaced. These things cost a bomb! Spares alone were 17k Scared me a bit and these things have been the major reason why I have been trying to keep myself away from the Germans.
Aston Singh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2016, 14:13   #101
Senior - BHPian
 
Tanveer_2558's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,354
Thanked: 1,315 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Jetta 1.4 TSI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aston Singh View Post
It's due for service at 45k that will need engine oil replacement, air filter cleaning/replacement, spark plugs inspect or replace etc; basic regular maintenance for petrol cars I am hoping.
Suspension checked, Just to be sure.

Quote:
Tyres need to be replaced ASAP which is great cause I had no intentions of keeping stock Goodyears!
My stock tyres won't even last 35k it seems, So do get it swapped to Pilot sports 3 is possible.

Quote:
he guy mentioned that the brake pads were replaced a few months back. So I am going to try and get that service record from him.
Thats good.

Quote:
And I just had a look at the last service record; there was work done for front door and rear door latch. Both were replaced and along with that the fuel lid actuator was also replaced. These things cost a bomb! Spares alone were 17k Scared me a bit and these things have been the major reason why I have been trying to keep myself away from the Germans.
Have you tried buying extended warranty? I am not sure though if you can opt for it once the standard warranty is over, It was told to me to get the extended warranty before the standard warranty of 2 years expires. I strongly believe having a valid warranty while buying a german.
Tanveer_2558 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2016, 15:44   #102
BHPian
 
Aston Singh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Pune
Posts: 324
Thanked: 151 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Jetta 1.4 TSI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer_2558 View Post
So do get it swapped to Pilot sports 3 is possible.
If I do end up getting this Jetta, I'll swap the tyres for P3STs or the Apollo Vredestein Ultrac (just to try a new set), if the price difference isn't much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer_2558 View Post
Have you tried buying extended warranty? I am not sure though if you can opt for it once the standard warranty is over, It was told to me to get the extended warranty before the standard warranty of 2 years expires. I strongly believe having a valid warranty while buying a german.
I just had a look at the VW website and it reads that you need to buy extended warranty within 2 years of your car purchase. So that ship has definitely sailed for me. Even if he has extended warranty it would be 4 years, so another 6 months and that will be over since the car is 3 and half years old.
Aston Singh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2016, 15:48   #103
Senior - BHPian
 
Tanveer_2558's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,354
Thanked: 1,315 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aston Singh View Post
I just had a look at the VW website and it reads hat you need to buy extended warranty within 2 years of your car purchase. So that ship has definitely sailed for me. Even if he has extended warranty it would be 4 years, so another 6 months and that will be over since the car is 3 and half years old.

Don't be in a rush, Look around, Prefer the one which has any sort of warranty left with also the ones with the most detailed service history available, Your buying a german, No matter how reliable the car or the engine is, Being extra cautious buying a german is better.
Tanveer_2558 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2016, 18:00   #104
BHPian
 
Aston Singh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Pune
Posts: 324
Thanked: 151 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Jetta 1.4 TSI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer_2558 View Post
Don't be in a rush, Look around, Prefer the one which has any sort of warranty left with also the ones with the most detailed service history available, Your buying a german, No matter how reliable the car or the engine is, Being extra cautious buying a german is better.
So I checked out another TSI today. This particular one is somewhere around April 2013 registered and has clocked 59500 kms. I managed to get some details from VW service centre. Car was last serviced at 53000 kms, regular service but brake pads were changed. Prior to that car was serviced in 2014 at 37000 kms, again regular servicing. So two things:
1. Would the car require clutch/flywheel replacement in the coming 10000-20000 kms?
2. What about suspension overhauling? Are we looking at something major considering the car has clocked 60000 kms.

I did drive the car for a short interval; clutch seemed fine, suspension I would say was okay. Didn't hear any clunk/metal noises but it was no carpet ride either. But that can be due to Goodyear NCT5s, the guy wasn't sure whether it was the first set or the second and somehow I couldn't located the week and year of manufacturing on them (Strange!)
Also, the rear wheel had low tyre pressure.

I am not sure if picking up a German (out of warranty I am guessing) that has clocked 60000 kms is a good option. Do let me know your thoughts.

Thanks in advance.
Aston Singh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2016, 19:00   #105
Senior - BHPian
 
Tanveer_2558's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,354
Thanked: 1,315 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Jetta 1.4 TSI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aston Singh View Post
I am not sure if picking up a German (out of warranty I am guessing) that has clocked 60000 kms is a good option. Do let me know your thoughts.
To all your questions above, I can just sum it up in short, Its GERMAN, If it was me i wouldn't opt for something which is driven for 60,000 kms, Since we can never know how the car was driven in that period, You could buy the car and soon after you might have to pay bill's you were not expecting for, I would suggest, Why not pay a bit more and get a car which is used some were around 30,000 - 35,000 kms? Now i am not saying the one you saw could turn out to be bad, But we gotta take precautions, Something which is driven for 60,000 kms harshly or has spent most of its time in bumper to bumper traffic can bring up good big amounting bills, Specially if the tyres were not changed of the car you saw, Your looking at a direct bill of 50-60 k just for the tyres, I say look around a bit more, There is lot of jetta's on sale these days, IF your from pune and don't mind coming down to Mumbai, There are several jetta's here too.
Tanveer_2558 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review mobike008 Official New Car Reviews 4303 20th January 2017 15:42
Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review Rudra Sen Official New Car Reviews 2793 13th January 2017 16:58
Volkswagen Jetta TSI (petrol) spotted. Could be a 1.4L TSI? Y@SH The Indian Car Scene 133 30th June 2012 15:34
Volkswagen Jetta 1.6 Litre Petrol (Trendline) Test Drive, Review & Photos Karizma Fan Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 40 18th February 2010 20:45


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 23:36.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks