Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2014, 12:21   #3541
BHPian
 
pahwa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 247
Thanked: 124 Times
Default Re: Renault Duster : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillMan View Post
Try Osram Night-breaker 55W, costs around 2.5K.
Only negative side of these hi lumen bulbs are they are short lived. Have a life or around a year or good usage.

Dont go for higher watts as the heat can damage the headlamp housing. Common problem is the yellowing of the clear glass.
Instead install Hella. It will increase the cool quotient as well

Here is a link of page with discussion on this topic.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post3213074 (Renault Duster : Official Review)
Hi!

Met my pet accessories vendor for replacing the original bulbs with Osram Night Braker. He mentioned that it will only change the color to bluish mercury but not improve the light because of same wattage. Price quoted was about 900 bucks, including installation.

I am planning to go for reverse camera + screen (Brand - WorldTech, Rs. 4500) that replaces the IRVM. This is purely for the reverse camera and not for watching any movies etc. When the car is not in reverse gear, the screen works like a anti-glare IRVM. Any advise around this from fellow BHPians?

Cheers
pahwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2014, 13:05   #3542
BHPian
 
::CMS::'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 556
Thanked: 427 Times
Default Re: Renault Duster : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by pahwa View Post
Hi!

He mentioned that it will only change the color to bluish mercury but not improve the light because of same wattage.
He doesnt know anything about that bulb. It will give out more lumens than the stock bulb.

Quote:
reverse camera + screen (Brand - WorldTech, Rs. 4500) that replaces the IRVM.
Get it from eBay.com, you will get it for dead cheap for ~50$ (3100 @62/$) for sensors, IR camera+lcd.
::CMS:: is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2014, 13:17   #3543
BHPian
 
himadrimondal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 417
Thanked: 852 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pahwa View Post

I am planning to go for reverse camera + screen (Brand - WorldTech, Rs. 4500) that replaces the IRVM. This is purely for the reverse camera and not for watching any movies etc. When the car is not in reverse gear, the screen works like a anti-glare IRVM. Any advise around this from fellow BHPians?

Cheers
I would suggest to go for the original duster sensors. The are just fantastic. Even if you have a screen with a rear cam, you will surely turn your head to look behind while reversing. I have a rear cam on my honda but reversing the duster with sensors seems a lot easier. Further I have a 2 din player on my duster but still did not opt for a rear cam.
himadrimondal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2014, 13:59   #3544
BHPian
 
HillMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 697
Thanked: 401 Times
Default Re: Renault Duster : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by pahwa View Post
Hi!

Met my pet accessories vendor for replacing the original bulbs with Osram Night Braker. He mentioned that it will only change the color to bluish mercury but not improve the light because of same wattage. Price quoted was about 900 bucks, including installation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ::CMS:: View Post
He doesnt know anything about that bulb. It will give out more lumens than the stock bulb.
Agreed. Osram does have higher Lumens and feels brighter, then I feel it is also the reason for their short lifespan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by himadrimondal View Post
Even if you have a screen with a rear cam, you will surely turn your head to look behind while reversing.
I agree with Himadri on this. I am very uncomfortable reversing using the camera on the rear view. This one on my friends Hyundai Verna. Even low light display is real good on it and has a wide sweep. Still I feel it does not get you the right perspective and causes distraction.

On the other hand I can reverse into real tight spots with my beeping reverse sensor of Duster.

Last edited by HillMan : 20th January 2014 at 14:02.
HillMan is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2014, 14:35   #3545
Distinguished - BHPian
 
swiftnfurious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 6,153
Thanked: 5,029 Times
Default Re: Renault Duster : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by pahwa View Post
...Met my pet accessories vendor for replacing the original bulbs with Osram Night Braker. He mentioned that it will only change the color to bluish mercury but not improve the light because of same wattage...
Time that you start looking for another accessories guy! If this guy has made the above statement, it will be better to stay away from him.

Would like to post his name so that other's also can be aware of the shop?
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2014, 14:48   #3546
BHPian
 
pahwa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 247
Thanked: 124 Times
Default Re: Renault Duster : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Time that you start looking for another accessories guy! If this guy has made the above statement, it will be better to stay away from him.

Would like to post his name so that other's also can be aware of the shop?
Thanks swiftnfurious. Well, he has been pleasant and knowledgeable in all previous dealings around ICE and other accessories. So would ignore this one and infact I will try to educate him. Team-BHP is a platform big enough to impact his living if I post the name
pahwa is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2014, 14:52   #3547
BHPian
 
roy_libran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Ghaziabad
Posts: 966
Thanked: 648 Times
Default Re: Renault Duster : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillMan View Post
I agree with Himadri on this. I am very uncomfortable reversing using the camera on the rear view. This one on my friends Hyundai Verna. Even low light display is real good on it and has a wide sweep. Still I feel it does not get you the right perspective and causes distraction.
Seconded.
Over experiencing reversing sensors on many different cars I have found that the readings (visual and beeping) from a Reverse sensor tend to be more comprehensible than a Reverse Camera.
With the Reversing Camera, first, I face a problem with perspective when looking at the small-ish display and second, I find myself looking only at the display and hence don't/can't use the mirrors as much.
With the Reversing Sensors, I keep looking at the mirrors and wait for the beeps to get urgent, and only then look at the digital readout. Plus, it also easily tells me which mirror to focus on.
roy_libran is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2014, 15:42   #3548
BHPian
 
pahwa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 247
Thanked: 124 Times
Default Re: Renault Duster : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
Seconded.
Over experiencing reversing sensors on many different cars I have found that the readings (visual and beeping) from a Reverse sensor tend to be more comprehensible than a Reverse Camera.
With the Reversing Camera, first, I face a problem with perspective when looking at the small-ish display and second, I find myself looking only at the display and hence don't/can't use the mirrors as much.
With the Reversing Sensors, I keep looking at the mirrors and wait for the beeps to get urgent, and only then look at the digital readout. Plus, it also easily tells me which mirror to focus on.
I agree. I already have sensors installed. They however do not give the best picture - sometimes in case there is a big stone on road behind. Last week I almost ended up reversing onto a bunch of big stones which were not detected by the sensors due to the height of Duster. The cost of the this camera + LCD is lower than the cost of one repair, if incurred.
pahwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2014, 15:53   #3549
BHPian
 
roy_libran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Ghaziabad
Posts: 966
Thanked: 648 Times
Default Re: Renault Duster : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by pahwa View Post
I agree. I already have sensors installed. They however do not give the best picture - sometimes in case there is a big stone on road behind. Last week I almost ended up reversing onto a bunch of big stones which were not detected by the sensors due to the height of Duster. The cost of the this camera + LCD is lower than the cost of one repair, if incurred.
That doesn't sound about right to me. All vehicles (starting from a 2002 Matiz to my present Ecosport AT), which have had a Reversing Sensor have ALWAYS picked up ALL obstacles that would foul with the car. For example, doesn't pick up bricks lying flat, but picks them up if they are resting on their long & narrow side.
Is it a case that your sensor isn't installed properly, or a general deficiency with the system?
roy_libran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2014, 16:04   #3550
BHPian
 
pahwa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 247
Thanked: 124 Times
Default Re: Renault Duster : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
That doesn't sound about right to me. All vehicles (starting from a 2002 Matiz to my present Ecosport AT), which have had a Reversing Sensor have ALWAYS picked up ALL obstacles that would foul with the car. For example, doesn't pick up bricks lying flat, but picks them up if they are resting on their long & narrow side.
Is it a case that your sensor isn't installed properly, or a general deficiency with the system?
The sensor in my vehicle is aftermarket, but fitted by Renault only. It does work well in most situations however, there are exceptions when the vehicle is at a certain angle on a raised parking. The view in the LCD does help and I feel its worth at this price.
pahwa is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2014, 21:41   #3551
BHPian
 
niket.dhirai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 32
Thanked: 10 Times
Default

After the unresolved door rattling, my 16000 km old duster is now suffering from a rumbling sound on the front right side of the car. Further diagnosis revealed loose disc brake caliper.
ASS says they ll have to change it , and will be charged at 2000 + 400 labour.
My stand is it is not wear and tear issue , as in my previous vehicle with 35000 km without an issue . What do you say guys? Should nt it be covered in warranty?
niket.dhirai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2014, 22:47   #3552
BHPian
 
::CMS::'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 556
Thanked: 427 Times
Default Re: Renault Duster : Official Review

Saw a silver Duster with regn ending with 8277 today evening near Marthahalli towards Whitefield via railway cross. Is the owner a BHPian?
@Mods, Posting in this thread for better visibility.
::CMS:: is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2014, 23:04   #3553
BHPian
 
himadrimondal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 417
Thanked: 852 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by niket.dhirai View Post
After the unresolved door rattling, my 16000 km old duster is now suffering from a rumbling sound on the front right side of the car. Further diagnosis revealed loose disc brake caliper.
ASS says they ll have to change it , and will be charged at 2000 + 400 labour.
My stand is it is not wear and tear issue , as in my previous vehicle with 35000 km without an issue . What do you say guys? Should nt it be covered in warranty?
Door noise can easily be solved and there are various ways of doing it. Ampere has done it, Neil has done it too. You can check how I have done it in 'courtship with the duster'.
As for the brake pads, they do have to be changed quiet frequently unlike other big suv's. My first change was at 16k even though I could have done a couple of more k's. You have to check how much of the material is left. If 60% or more material is intact, dont go for a change and order the ASS to fix the noise under warranty. Have further observed the pads have some iron dust content which is generally not seen in other pads. I guess this is why the front two wheels always have black dust on them.
My odo is showing 26k plus but a lot of pad material is still left. At my next change, I might fit an after market normal pad without iron content and see how the braking goes.

Last edited by himadrimondal : 21st January 2014 at 23:08.
himadrimondal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2014, 23:10   #3554
BHPian
 
::CMS::'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 556
Thanked: 427 Times
Default Re: Renault Duster : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by himadrimondal View Post
As for the brake pads,
Quote:
Originally Posted by niket.dhirai View Post
loose disc brake caliper.
Its not the brakepad, its the brake caliper. Niket, check it at a local garage to understand what is the issue. Probably the floating/sliding pins are wornout or loose in its slot. Also check the boot / bush with contains the grease is proper. Also, is there any side pushing/pulling during breaking? As far as I understand only the brakepads are considered under normal wear and tear and not covered under warranty. If they deny the warranty on the caliper, its serious, we need to find what else are not covered under warranty. Waiting for more update.

Last edited by ::CMS:: : 21st January 2014 at 23:37.
::CMS:: is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2014, 23:19   #3555
BHPian
 
pahwa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 247
Thanked: 124 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ::CMS:: View Post
Saw a silver Duster with regn ending with 8277 today evening near Marthahalli towards Whitefield via railway cross. Is the owner a BHPian?
@Mods, Posting in this thread for better visibility.
Hey CMS. That was me in the silver duster 8227. Which one was your ride?
pahwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Renault Duster AWD : Official Review Rehaan Official New Car Reviews 607 14th November 2016 19:01
Itís an SUV, it's a Sedan...No it's a Crossover! The Renault DUSTER: Ownership Review h.s.r Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 86 17th September 2016 11:38
Renault Duster : Official Launch Report parrys The Indian Car Scene 758 21st July 2012 20:36


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 17:58.

Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks