Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 16th April 2014, 10:43   #3871
BHPian

Default Re: Renault Duster : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Any specific reasons to give it away? Because the car has lot of life left. Hope you are also aware that you would be surely disappointed in Duster/Terrano from a features point of view compared to what you have on your Verna.

Basically I hope you know what you are leaving on the table, and what you are going for. As long as that mathematics is clear, no issues. Not discouraging from buying, but just wanted to set that part clear.
Pertinent problems for me are- pathetic ride particularly at rear, very low GC, not so easy ingress/egress. Nothing more worth mentioning. 8.5 L of resale value is quite good too IMO. Thus thinking of a change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
@Chitta:

1. If it is cash, it is good. Please check again - must be exchange bonus
2. No opinion
3. Heard around 15-16kmpl from actual users. YMMV
4. No opinion
5. Heard regular maintenance is fine. Accident repair - spares shortage is an issue. Reliability is 50:50. Read couple of articles on this thread re Duster quality from UK
6. Did not find it noticeable.
7. Saw Apollo & MRF. MRF on the 110.
8. No opinion but different categories.
9. Your call. VFM is a personal concept as value is personal.
10. Terrano is identical to the Duster. If you like the Duster's looks better, there is nothing to justify the 1lac additional cost.
Thanks buddy for the info & lightening fast response. I know it would not be as easy as the Hyundai to maintain, particularly in case of accidents. Fingers crossed till I reach a conclusion. As advised, I will go through this thread & few ownership threads for better insights.
Chitta Pradhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2014, 10:55   #3872
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitta Pradhan View Post
Pertinent problems for me are- pathetic ride particularly at rear, very low GC, not so easy ingress/egress. Nothing more worth mentioning. 8.5 L of resale value is quite good too IMO. Thus thinking of a change.
By all means then. But hope you have test driven the 85 bhp Duster. Because the power is way too low for the highway. No where comparable to your current ride and also the Duster 110. You can immediately feel that gap when you the hit the highway. If you drive sedate on the highways (90-110), you won't notice the difference.

FE : As Buxx mentioned expect anything from 15-19 depend on city and highway driving conditions. I see a continuous 17+ all the time with 95-105 AC on all the time (mine is a Duster 85).

Tyres: MRF Wanderers AT are very good. I have done almost 33K+.

Ecosport Vs Duster ? : That I think you need to decide from a need point of view. Same goes for petrol vs diesel.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2014, 11:27   #3873
BHPian

Quote:
But hope you have test driven the 85 bhp Duster. Because the power is way too low for the highway. No where comparable to your current ride and also the Duster 110. You can immediately feel that gap when you the hit the highway. If you drive sedate on the highways (90-110), you won't notice the difference.
I have taken a TD of 85 bhp Duster. Loved it's excellent ride quality, just diagonally opposite to my Verna. Took the car till 120/130 kmph & felt it to be fairly ok till that speed, but could not test beyond, where it could be very different to Verna. My present car reaches 150/160 in no time, probably Duster 85 may not reach there, no matter how straight & how long the roads are with no traffic. What's the max you have done in your Duster 85 . Again , what I loved about Duster, but not Ecosport TDCI, is that Duster was way too silent than my Verna, particularly while accelerating. Confusion after confusion.

Thanks
Old 16th April 2014, 11:32   #3874
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
What's the max you have done in your Duster 85 .
Wrong question to a wrong guy! I don't go beyond 105/110! Like to drive sedate.

Quote:
Again , what I loved about Duster, but not Ecosport TDCI, is that Duster was way too silent than my Verna, particularly while accelerating. Confusion after confusion
- If you need the boot and decent back seat space, look at the Duster.
- If not, of you are OK with 2 people in the back seat and if boot is not a concern, Ecosport. What you get is an excellent quality of build; way better than Duster.
- Another point, AC performance of the Duster is at best satisfactory. But AC in the Ecosport is a chiller.
ampere is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2014, 11:46   #3875
BHPian

Quote:
Hi All,

My Verna 1.6 CRDI , 2.5 yrs old, 42.5 k on odo is fetching 8.5 L. Thus getting tempted to sale it & go for 85 bhp Duster, top but one model. Has a talk to the showroom person & getting an impression that total discount he may offer is around 25 k. Please help me with my queries :-
Thanks
Just a general comment. Verna & Duster are 2 different class of vehicles. Not sure if you can compare a sedan versus a mini-SUV. Both will have their respective plus & minus points. However, if you prefer slightly higher seating and a better view of the road, then the mini-SUV is the one to look at, Duster in your case.

I agree with the low GC & low back seat in the Verna. Many Verna owners have the same observation in spite of them having purchased it initially since one gets a lot of bells & whistles for the price.

Having said this, the Verna diesel engine per reviews is very refined so I am sure this is not the reason for you to look at other options.

Some people, after driving 'sedans' or any 'hatchback' for a while, may just want to get a mini-SUV or a SUV just for a change.....and let's face it, mini-SUVs at the price range they are today are an attractive options for potential sedan owners / buyers. Looks like you are in this category looking for a mini-SUV ownership experience, which is perfectly fine. The other thing is, if you are in this category, do not compare feature-by-feature and refinement of Verna & Duster / Terrano. Rather think of it this way that you are getting a mini-SUV for almost the price of a sedan, give or take a bit.

Regarding Duster & Terrano, I've looked at both. It is a personal choice, I'd say. The difference of INR 1L more on Terrano is due to more chrome and slightly better looking interiors. But the Duster is also good, I looked at the Adventure edition and the bull bar with additional fog lamps, gun metal alloys etc. looked nice too. So this is something you can decide based on personal taste.
geotracks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2014, 12:03   #3876
BHPian

Quote:
probably Duster 85 may not reach there, no matter how straight & how long the roads are with no traffic
A car is a car and a crossover is a crossover, you cannot compare both. I dont think you need not worry about the speed it can attain. It reaches 140 w/o much effort in stock and thereafter it takes a little bit time esp from 150, It went till 160-165, the rpm was ~3800-4000, if I remember correctly while running stock.
After the remap, it reaches these speeds pretty quick and easily.

Mileage depends on the route which you drive and the driving pattern, I usually get ~16 w/ AC 17-18.1 w/o AC consistently in city (Bangalore ORR / Whitefield / BG Road area). Last week's kerala-bangalore trip was showing 22-23.7 for ~200kms with sedate driving ~80-100 on 2lane roads and on highways it came down to 17.6 with speeds of ~140 with occasional bursts to 160s. It depends on the diesel also, the difference I saw with diesel from kerala was significant compared to bangalore.

Any vehicle will respond to the way it is driven, if you abuse, it will give poor performance. I have seen Dusters with bald tyres at 10K service and brake pad change ~15K on the ODO!!!

Last edited by ::CMS:: : 16th April 2014 at 12:24.
::CMS:: is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2014, 12:19   #3877
BHPian

Hi Chitta, since you have got this in your head, your current ride from now on will be full of defects and the Duster will be full of praises. The good part of this is the resale value you are getting for the Verna. The bad part is after buying the Duster you might be bugged with rattles as everyone else complains but only a handful of members overcame it. To be honest both are excellent cars in their segment. Read the ownership reviews and let your mind come to a conclusion though your heart has already done it.
Baripada has excellent roads, the Verna would be a charm to drive unless you wish to visit Simlipal NP. Do you have a Renault service station in Baripada?
himadrimondal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2014, 14:40   #3878
BHPian

Quote:
Hi All,

1. Is 25 k discount on on-road price ok?

2. I have driven a 85 bhp Duster few months back..

3. What is the actual FE 85 Duster gives with AC in city & on long drives..

4. Heard that wind noise is more at speeds above 100 kmph..

6. 110 PS Duster is out of my budget. Is the clutch of 85 Duster lighter than 110 Duster ? Lesser tubolag & more FE of 85 Duster will be a boon.

7. What is the stock tyre brand? Any suggestions for immediate up-gradation, if really required?

8. Have any of the 85 Duster owners driven Verna 1.6 CRDI. If yes, please draw a comparison, which will be of great help to me.

9. Have driven Eco Sport Petrol & diesel...

10. If any one have tried Terreno, please advise the improvements over Duster...

Thanks
I own a 5 months old 85ps duster and cousin has a 2 year old Verna. Having driven both extensively, thought I'll share my views :

1. 25k discounts looks okay to me. Dealers over here offer free insurance instead.

2. I'd say Verna has an amazingly refined engine for a diesel car in this side of 15 lacs. There's hardly any noticeable clatter (For a diesel) and the engine revs happily all the way to very high RPM's. Dusters Renault k9k (85ps and 110ps) doesn't come close.

With a couple of people on-board and no luggage, the Duster 85 is reasonably good till 110-120 kmph. The equation changes when there are 4 people and luggage on-board, the vehicle starts gasping for breath at 100 kmph; more puffing & panting and not much progress. There's just no true top end to speak of. The vehicle delivers well in 0-80kmph range (be it in-gear acceleration or a quick sprint), that's what the Renault k9k 85ps engine is designed for- driveability. Compared to a Duster 85, Verna 1.6 crdi is a rocket, save for the turbo-lag. If you're looking for a comfortable 140 kmph cruising speed, Duster 85 is not the vehicle for you.

Duster is a vehicle with high ground clearance and no ESP, be cautious when you ride it at high speeds- the straight line stability will delude us in to thinking that it will handle an emergency maneuver with ease Check out the moose tests.

3. For Duster 85, in city traffic conditions, expect around 15kmpl. On highways if you drive sedately at 75-80 kmph the vehicle easily delivers 20+. I constantly get around 23 kmpl in my routine weekend 100km drive to home (sparsely populated highway after 8 pm in the evening @ 80kmph, ).
If you drive at 110-120 kmph, expect 17-18 kmpl.

4. Having been used to sedans like Vento, Verna et. al, I'd say wind noise is terribly prominent in Duster, more so at speeds above 100. My swift has a much quieter cabin than a Duster at 100kmph.

6. The Duster 85 has minimal turbolag when compared to Duster 110 and Verna 1.6- that makes it a great city car. Duster 85 has a lighter clutch than Duster 110, however I think Verna has an even lighter clutch. There're reports that Duster 110 has received a clutch upgrade, though I'm yet to drive one with an upgraded clutch.

7. Stock tyres can change from batch to batch- The vehicles that were shipped along with my Duster had Appolo Hawkz. Previous batch had MRF Wanderers. Nowadays I see new Dusters in showrooms shod with Appolo Apterra. Stock tyres offer sufficient grip levels and I don't find the tyre noise to be intrusive. Tyre upgrade (read: width) is not really necessary, however if you plan to do so, be informed that already the front wheels throw a lot of mud on the front and rear doors.

8. I think I've already answered your question.

9. It all boils down to your needs.

10. Improvements:
  • Terrano's cabin is a wee bit more silent than Duster thanks to the extra rubber beading on all four doors and presumably some beefed up noise dampeners. No, those rubber beadings cannot be retrofitted on Duster. Wind noise is the same though.
  • Style- Well, they're subjective afterall. I see that more people find Terrano very handsome.
Downside:
  • Terrano does't steering audio controls. Duster has a very useful steering column mounted audio controls
  • Terrano top variant doesnt have Touchscreen audio-gps navigation system, as offered by Duster top variant.
  • The near 50k premium (after counting in the 25-30k discounts on Duster and the extra money we need to pay for availing the extended warranty for terrano and the lack of equipment) is not justified.
xjosephjacob is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2014, 15:18   #3879
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himadrimondal View Post
Hi Chitta, since you have got this in your head, your current ride from now on will be full of defects and the Duster will be full of praises. The good part of this is the resale value you are getting for the Verna. The bad part is after buying the Duster you might be bugged with rattles as everyone else complains but only a handful of members overcame it. To be honest both are excellent cars in their segment. Read the ownership reviews and let your mind come to a conclusion though your heart has already done it.
Baripada has excellent roads, the Verna would be a charm to drive unless you wish to visit Simlipal NP. Do you have a Renault service station in Baripada?
In Odisha, Renault service is only at Bhubaneswar ie, 275 km from Baripada. Now I have relocated to Keonjhar & Bhubaneswar from here is 200 km. The other choice is Jamshedpur, around 150 km away. I was not aware of rattling issues in Duster. Verna till now is absolutely rattle free. It now looks like that I may have to keep the car for some more time as I am not able to find a better alternative within similar price bracket. If I continue with Verna, I will go for spring up-gradation immediately, which is reportedly making the suspensions stiffer & helping in better ride, one of the major factors for the very thought of getting rid of the Verna. Fingers crossed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjosephjacob View Post
I own a 5 months old 85ps duster and cousin has a 2 year old Verna. Having driven both extensively, thought I'll share my views :

I'd say Verna has an amazingly refined engine for a diesel car in this side of 15 lacs. There's hardly any noticeable clatter (For a diesel) and the engine revs happily all the way to very high RPM's. Dusters Renault k9k (85ps and 110ps) doesn't come close.

With a couple of people on-board and no luggage, the Duster 85 is reasonably good till 110-120 kmph. The equation changes when there are 4 people and luggage on-board, the vehicle starts gasping for breath at 100 kmph;

If you're looking for a comfortable 140 kmph cruising speed, Duster 85 is not the vehicle for you.

4. Having been used to sedans like Vento, Verna et. al, I'd say wind noise is terribly prominent in Duster, more so at speeds above 100. My swift has a much quieter cabin than a Duster at 100kmph.
Thank you so much for the much needed & helpful comparo. Since cabin quietness is on top of my requirements, seems that I should stick to my Verna for one more year & then find for a suitable replacement. Many cars are due for launch within Durga Puja. Hope the Swift you mentioned is the current model DDIS.

Thanks once again.

mods- please merge my back to back posts

Last edited by Aditya : 17th April 2014 at 12:39. Reason: Back to back posts
Old 17th April 2014, 10:21   #3880
BHPian

Quote:
.. Since cabin quietness is on top of my requirements...Hope the Swift you mentioned is the current model DDIS
No, it's a well maintained 4 year old 1st generation Swift DDIS that has clocked 1,20,000 km
xjosephjacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2014, 15:56   #3881
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Tyres: MRF Wanderers AT are very good. I have done almost 33K+.
I took delivery on 15th April. Mine came with Apollo tyres, not MRF. I don't know if they have one more vendor now or they have changed their lone supplier from MRF to Apollo. I know they have just one supplier for batteries, which is Exide. Clueless about tyres.
Sudipto-S-Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2014, 16:25   #3882
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (14)

Quote:
In Odisha, Renault service is only at Bhubaneswar ie, 275 km from Baripada. Now I have relocated to Keonjhar & Bhubaneswar from here is 200 km. The other choice is Jamshedpur, around 150 km away. I was not aware of rattling issues in Duster. Verna till now is absolutely rattle free. It now looks like that I may have to keep the car for some more time as I am not able to find a better alternative within similar price bracket. If I continue with Verna, I will go for spring up-gradation immediately, which is reportedly making the suspensions stiffer & helping in better ride, one of the major factors for the very thought of getting rid of the Verna. Fingers crossed.

Since cabin quietness is on top of my requirements, seems that I should stick to my Verna for one more year & then find for a suitable replacement
In no way is this a comment on the overall personal value one can derive from either the verna or the duster/terrano: can I suggest the new Fiat Linea multijet diesel, as it seems a priori to fit your needs well. Of course, I do not know about the nearest new Fiat dealer/ASS?
desdemona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2014, 16:50   #3883
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desdemona View Post
In no way is this a comment on the overall personal value one can derive from either the verna or the duster/terrano: can I suggest the new Fiat Linea multijet diesel, as it seems a priori to fit your needs well. Of course, I do not know about the nearest new Fiat dealer/ASS?
Had TD of Linea two years back.It is too lethargic in comparison to Verna CRDI.But has better dynamics. Hope not much has changed in current model .Therefore, did not bother to look at it. Again ASS could be a big problem & the resale value is pathetic.
Old 17th April 2014, 17:10   #3884
Senior - BHPian

No offence meant, but I think this part of the thread should be spun off into a new thread under: "which car for me" kind of section.
Personally I wouldn't buy the Duster in your situation because your nearest dealer is a good 200 kms away. I would stick to something from a more easily serviced brand with a much wider and easily accessible service network. If I was looking at the SUV segment I would look more seriously at Mahindra's Scorpio because Mahindra has a much wider presence and even a street side mechanic in an emergency would know a lot more about Mahindra vehicles than a Duster.
In cars I would look at City. They have stiffened the suspension lately and it doesn't scrape the road as much as the Verna, though both have the same ground clearance.
And 8.5 lakh for a used Verna is a good offer. I would also sell in your situation.
Sudipto-S-Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2014, 17:42   #3885
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (14)

Quote:
Had TD of Linea two years back.It is too lethargic in comparison to Verna CRDI.But has better dynamics. Hope not much has changed in current model .Therefore, did not bother to look at it. Again ASS could be a big problem & the resale value is pathetic.
I realize this is slightly and so this is therefore my last word on this:

From what you've said so far it appears you've recently come to assign a higher priority to ride quality, comfort, ground clearance and ease of ingress/egress. Hence my suggestion. Moreover, the 'lethargy' in the linea mjd is only in the short gears 1 and 2: the mid-range is superb, the mileage and refinement good.

As regards ASS: that bears a bit of research about the new Fiat dealer nearest you, since many of the new ones around the country are much better than the old Tata days.

As far as resale 'value' goes: value is subjective, guess you meant resale 'price'. The two are NOT the same, am afraid, though I know what you mean, since you are getting a good resale 'price' for the verna. Just saying .
desdemona is offline   Reply With Quote