Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 13th February 2015, 07:28   #4726
BHPian
 
DieselLover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Kochi
Posts: 355
Thanked: 85 Times
Default Re: Renault Duster : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
My odometer reads at 50K.
Ampere - how is the maintenance costs so far? Any major issues? Do you stick to the 10k service intervals? Do we need to do any sort of minor service/check up (like in Maruti cars) at 5k?

I am planning to get only the wheel alignment done at 5k.
DieselLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2015, 07:36   #4727
BHPian
 
anilntny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: kottayam
Posts: 146
Thanked: 144 Times
Default Re: Renault Duster : Official Review

Hi soumobakshi, you are correct about rear view mirror,but I find it more than enough considering the small footprint of the whole unit.The unit gels well with the overall interior.

The alloys are of a brand called powerstar,I bought them because I loved the design.But I covered the logos with custom renault logos.Few people thought it was genuine renault alloy!

Last edited by anilntny : 13th February 2015 at 07:37.
anilntny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2015, 07:45   #4728
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 14,779
Thanked: 7,453 Times
Default Re: Renault Duster : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselLover View Post
Ampere - how is the maintenance costs so far? Any major issues? Do you stick to the 10k service intervals? Do we need to do any sort of minor service/check up (like in Maruti cars) at 5k?
Yes I stick to the regular 10K interval. The vehicle has been holding on by and large. There was an issue with regards to the clutch which they fixed under warranty. But I would call that an aberration and not a general case. Its not a cause for concern. (It was for me though!)

I dont get any minor checks done. Just stick to the 10K routine. I drive almost 20-25K per year. That translates a visit to service once every six months. The service guys in Bangalore have been quite good and attentive. Typically I spend about 6-8K for the service plus additional for wash. I have been getting a consistent FE of 17.5/18 (See my graph in the previous post)

To summarize: A brilliant no-nonsense car to own.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2015, 07:51   #4729
BHPian
 
DieselLover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Kochi
Posts: 355
Thanked: 85 Times
Default Re: Renault Duster : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Yes I stick to the regular 10K interval. The vehicle has been holding on by and large. There was an issue with regards to the clutch which they fixed under warranty. But I would call that an aberration and not a general case. Its not a cause for concern. (It was for me though!)

I dont get any minor checks done. Just stick to the 10K routine. I drive almost 20-25K per year. That translates a visit to service once every six months. The service guys in Bangalore have been quite good and attentive. Typically I spend about 6-8K for the service plus additional for wash. I have been getting a consistent FE of 17.5/18 (See my graph in the previous post)

To summarize: A brilliant no-nonsense car to own.
Thanks Ampere. I hate visiting service station frequently. My average running is around 1.5k kms per month and with the swift I have to service it every 3 months or so.

The maintenance cost looks reasonable too.
DieselLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2015, 12:05   #4730
BHPian
 
cooldude1988765's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 996
Thanked: 93 Times
Default Re: Renault Duster : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselLover View Post
Thanks Ampere. I hate visiting service station frequently. My average running is around 1.5k kms per month and with the swift I have to service it every 3 months or so.

The maintenance cost looks reasonable too.
Would recommend changing the air filter every 5k kms. I drive in the city most of the time and it is usually clogged by 5k kms.

OE air filter is only 600 bucks or so and there is a marked improvement in the power delivery once the air filter is replaced.


Real pain to change though. Not an easy DIY like most other cars.

Also 30k service costed me around 5k including WA & WB and an extra air filter.

Parts are surprisingly cheap. The full electric ORVM assembly costed 1800 if i remember right. (Does not include the silver cover/cladding)

On the other hand the grill is close to 22k. Apparently imported from France.
I get around 12-12.5 kmpl in the city with a lot of idling and some pedal to the metal driving.

For those looking to change their tyres Yoko Geolanders are now available in the stock size.
Unfortunately they were not available when I bought my car in 2012 and had to make do with some really sad bridgestones.
I could have probably lived with the wanderers. They were that bad.

Last edited by cooldude1988765 : 14th February 2015 at 12:16.
cooldude1988765 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2015, 13:11   #4731
BHPian
 
HillMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 698
Thanked: 401 Times
Default Re: Renault Duster : Official Review

One bad experience with the break shoe. at 17800kms my front left brake shoe wore out all the way till the metal. Damaged the disk. There was no loss of braking so I could drive to the nearest Renault service near Silk Board. Cost me 9500 bucks for the two front disks and set of brake shoe for them. The guys had the spares available and did a quick job.

I'll recommend to change the brake shoe at around 15000kms to avoid the disk replacement or keep a keen ear for brake noise and replace before the disk get scratched. Unlike your local mechanic, there is no lathe job for the disks at Renault One disk damage means replacement of both sides.

Last edited by HillMan : 14th February 2015 at 13:14.
HillMan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2015, 13:14   #4732
BHPian
 
DieselLover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Kochi
Posts: 355
Thanked: 85 Times
Default Re: Renault Duster : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldude1988765 View Post
Would recommend changing the air filter every 5k kms. I drive in the city most of the time and it is usually clogged by 5k kms.

OE air filter is only 600 bucks or so and there is a marked improvement in the power delivery once the air filter is replaced.


Real pain to change though. Not an easy DIY like most other cars.

Also 30k service costed me around 5k including WA & WB and an extra air filter.

Parts are surprisingly cheap. The full electric ORVM assembly costed 1800 if i remember right. (Does not include the silver cover/cladding)

On the other hand the grill is close to 22k. Apparently imported from France.
I get around 12-12.5 kmpl in the city with a lot of idling and some pedal to the metal driving.

For those looking to change their tyres Yoko Geolanders are now available in the stock size.
Unfortunately they were not available when I bought my car in 2012 and had to make do with some really sad bridgestones.
I could have probably lived with the wanderers. They were that bad.
What is the manufacturer recommended change interval for air filter? is it 10k or 20k? I thought of doing a DIY cleaning of Airfilter but couldn't figure out how to do it. It was pretty straight forward it Swift.
DieselLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2015, 17:18   #4733
BHPian
 
sumeshmani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: bangalore
Posts: 478
Thanked: 97 Times
Default Re: Renault Duster : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillMan View Post
I'll recommend to change the brake shoe at around 15000kms to avoid the disk replacement or keep a keen ear for brake noise and replace before the disk get scratched. Unlike your local mechanic, there is no lathe job for the disks at Renault One disk damage means replacement of both sides.
Is getting the lathe work done outside an option?
If its done, can that even be detected by Renault engineers?
Will that attract the usual "warranty void" threat?

I ask this because its tough to track the brake pads wear without removing them. I usually check the brake discs for damage by running my fingers over them. That's the only limited solution I could come up with
sumeshmani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2015, 18:14   #4734
BHPian
 
cooldude1988765's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 996
Thanked: 93 Times
Default Re: Renault Duster : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselLover View Post
What is the manufacturer recommended change interval for air filter? is it 10k or 20k? I thought of doing a DIY cleaning of Airfilter but couldn't figure out how to do it. It was pretty straight forward it Swift.
It is the OEM. Not too sure about the recommended change interval.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillMan View Post
One bad experience with the break shoe. at 17800kms my front left brake shoe wore out all the way till the metal. Damaged the disk. There was no loss of braking so I could drive to the nearest Renault service near Silk Board. Cost me 9500 bucks for the two front disks and set of brake shoe for them. The guys had the spares available and did a quick job.

I'll recommend to change the brake shoe at around 15000kms to avoid the disk replacement or keep a keen ear for brake noise and replace before the disk get scratched. Unlike your local mechanic, there is no lathe job for the disks at Renault One disk damage means replacement of both sides.
My odo reads 40k and it is time to change the brake pads again. I had to change the pads at 20k before an outstation trip.
Unfortunately renault dint have them in stock by the time I was back the pads had completely worn out and had scratched the disks quite badly.

Parts availability has been a major issue in Hyderabad.

I find the dusters brakes inadequate and also feel that they wear out too fast.
Luckily they are not too expensive compared to other cars in a similar price range.

Last edited by cooldude1988765 : 14th February 2015 at 18:17.
cooldude1988765 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2015, 22:55   #4735
BHPian
 
sumeshmani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: bangalore
Posts: 478
Thanked: 97 Times
Default Re: Renault Duster : Official Review

I hope the experts can comment

Do the brake pads have standard specification in terms of size?
If yes, can we use high performance pads with existing discs to improve performance and life?
Will Renault object to us using such action?
sumeshmani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2015, 12:24   #4736
BHPian
 
couswheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Chennai
Posts: 192
Thanked: 126 Times
Default

Has any one converted the 2nd row into 60:40 split and also able to recline. TIA
couswheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2015, 22:23   #4737
Distinguished - BHPian
 
anjan_c2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: India
Posts: 5,321
Thanked: 3,961 Times
Default Re: Renault Duster : Official Review

Recalls of the Renault Duster built in the Chennai plant and exported to the U.K. :

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/intern...ls-thread.html (The Global *Recalls* Thread)
anjan_c2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2015, 10:12   #4738
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: DELHI
Posts: 573
Thanked: 263 Times
Default Re: Renault Duster : Official Review

The Air Filter replacement as per manual is every 10K kms.
However, seeing the dusty conditions, it has been revised to 5K kms interval (published service centre guidelines.
BUXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2015, 11:45   #4739
BHPian
 
sumeshmani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: bangalore
Posts: 478
Thanked: 97 Times
Default

If anyone has done a d.i.y air filter replacement, pls share the details.
Photos and video would be of great help.
sumeshmani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2015, 21:52   #4740
BHPian
 
DieselLover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Kochi
Posts: 355
Thanked: 85 Times
Default Re: Renault Duster : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUXX View Post
The Air Filter replacement as per manual is every 10K kms.
However, seeing the dusty conditions, it has been revised to 5K kms interval (published service centre guidelines.
The car has a published 10k service interval and Renault doesn't recommend and 5k check ups. So, how is this 5k filter replacement handled?

Last edited by DieselLover : 16th February 2015 at 21:59. Reason: correcting
DieselLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Renault Duster AWD : Official Review Rehaan Official New Car Reviews 610 5th December 2016 13:12
Itís an SUV, it's a Sedan...No it's a Crossover! The Renault DUSTER: Ownership Review h.s.r Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 86 17th September 2016 11:38
Renault Duster : Official Launch Report parrys The Indian Car Scene 758 21st July 2012 20:36


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 03:33.

Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks