Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 26th February 2015, 22:42   #4771
Senior - BHPian
 
Sudipto-S-Team's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 1,289
Thanked: 242 Times
Default Re: Renault Duster : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by driverace View Post

One more thing I can think of, is making your phone "visible" to other devices using bluetooth. You should see that option in "bluetooth" section of your phone connection settings
^(This is only to be done, the first time we sync phone to car).

Have a go,

Ace.
Absolutely correct driverace. Thanks a million tonnes. Android phones are by default "only visible to paired devices". One has to activate it and make it visible to all devices. I didn't know this till you suggested it. In fact that visibility to other devices gets turned off automatically after a few minutes.

Thanks a lot once again. team-bhp, as usual, rocks.
Sudipto-S-Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2015, 12:20   #4772
BHPian
 
pahwa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 248
Thanked: 124 Times
Default Re: Renault Duster : Official Review

Had a bitter taste of Renault service today. Booked an appointment for 10 AM and reached by 10:20 AM. Waited at reception for 40 mins for service advisor to attend.

Finally the SA showed up and started taking his notes without saying a word. The moment I mentioned that I want to be next to my vehicle when it is being serviced - he said "Sir vehicle will be returned on Monday evening only". Have decided not to give it away for service for 3 days. Its disturbing how Trident Renault cannot service 30 cars/day with such huge team.

Can someone give me some indication of service costs for 3rd FS - 20k KM? I am given an estimate of 12k, including engine oil, oil filter, air filter, AC filter and break pads etc. Break pads replacement after just 20k KMs??
pahwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2015, 20:02   #4773
BHPian
 
penpusher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: UP-16/UK-04
Posts: 37
Thanked: 25 Times
Default Re: Renault Duster : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by pahwa View Post
Can someone give me some indication of service costs for 3rd FS - 20k KM? I am given an estimate of 12k, including engine oil, oil filter, air filter, AC filter and break pads etc. Break pads replacement after just 20k KMs??
Hi

I also paid something similar for my 20K service. Brake pads were also replaced, I insisted on seeing the old ones & they were indeed worn out.
penpusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2015, 14:57   #4774
BHPian
 
austere_sly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 285
Thanked: 9 Times
Default Re: Renault Duster : Official Review

I got my Duster 85 PS RXL (O) in June 2013 and since then the car's front disc develop rust if its stand idle for 2-3 days. During my 1st service, I enquired about it with the service advisor and he told its ok and normal since its made of rust. Last fortnight when I returned from a 4 day business trip and saw front discs, I was shocked with amount of rust on it. Other cars which I have owned and used is Maruti Swift and Hyundai Grand i10 and I never saw such rusting. Just to re-confirm whether its normal, I sent a mail to Renault Customer Care with the image (below) and small writeup on situation asking them to confirm whether rusting would in anyway affect braking performance and will affect disc's life.

Renault was prompt in getting response to this query and next day I got this mail from Renault Delhi West "
Dear Sir,

With reference of your concern related to corrosion of disk Plate ( Front brake ), we would like to clarify that concern part are casted ( Made of Cast Iron ) so rust will never result to deformation and will never effect the performance of above mention parts. And in Periodic maintenance service we always check brake pad and disc condition Etc – if required we recommend to customer for replacement of above mention parts due to usage ( general Tear & Wear ) .

Also , we would like to clarify that corrosion of parts depends upon several external factors such as atmospheric conditions, operating cycle of the car , Drainage holes near parking area ,Water on disk plates during daily washing of car with water .. etc. Therefore, please do not have any apprehensions regarding the quality of product.

For any Further queries please feel free to contact us.
Assuring you the best service always"
Attached Thumbnails
Renault Duster : Official Review-img_9531.jpg  

austere_sly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2015, 15:35   #4775
BHPian
 
sumeshmani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: bangalore
Posts: 478
Thanked: 97 Times
Default Re: Renault Duster : Official Review

This picture shows exactly how much brake dust collected onto the wheels.
Its a big problem to clean it off also. Unless the car is lifted onto a ramp, its tough to clean the inner section. This kind of wear explains the brake pad replacements at 20K service.
If not cleaned regularly it sort of bakes on and becomes even harder to remove in certain areas.

What do you guys think? Is this kind of "soft" break pad improving brake performance?
Or is it just of poor quality?

Note:
- I have assumed every one is facing this kind of break dust accumulation.
- I called the pads soft, because I don't know what else to call it.
sumeshmani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2015, 17:13   #4776
BHPian
 
geotracks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 234
Thanked: 89 Times
Default Re: Renault Duster : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by austere_sly View Post
I got my Duster 85 PS RXL (O) in June 2013 and since then the car's front disc develop rust if its stand idle for 2-3 days. During my 1st service, I enquired about it with the service advisor and he told its ok and normal since its made of rust. Last fortnight when I returned from a 4 day business trip and saw front discs, I was shocked with amount of rust on it. Other cars which I have owned and used is Maruti Swift and Hyundai Grand i10 and I never saw such rusting. Just to re-confirm whether its normal, I sent a mail to Renault Customer Care with the image (below) and small writeup on situation asking them to confirm whether rusting would in anyway affect braking performance and will affect disc's life.

Renault was prompt in getting response to this query and next day I got this mail from Renault Delhi West "
Dear Sir,

With reference of your concern related to corrosion of disk Plate ( Front brake ), we would like to clarify that concern part are casted ( Made of Cast Iron ) so rust will never result to deformation and will never effect the performance of above mention parts. And in Periodic maintenance service we always check brake pad and disc condition Etc if required we recommend to customer for replacement of above mention parts due to usage ( general Tear & Wear ) .

Also , we would like to clarify that corrosion of parts depends upon several external factors such as atmospheric conditions, operating cycle of the car , Drainage holes near parking area ,Water on disk plates during daily washing of car with water .. etc. Therefore, please do not have any apprehensions regarding the quality of product.

For any Further queries please feel free to contact us.
Assuring you the best service always"
Wow, that is a lot of rust indeed. Although I do not own a Duster, I've been reading articles on Renault Duster (India). Looks like the earlier models had an issue with 'rusting parts'. From what I understand, Renault is claiming to have 'fixed' the rust issue in current Duster models. I am very surprised at the response Renault has written....talks about everything but 'customer centricity'.

And yes, you are correct. I haven't seen such kind of rust in any other brand vehicles. Just imagine if such situations had happened with Western Europe or North American customers.....I am sure car companies in these places would have been required to take 'free corrective' actions.

For whatever it is worth, try writing to Renault HQ in France and forward them the response you've received from Renault locally. I am sure others on this forum will echo the fact that this type of QA/QC from a big brand like Renault is unacceptable.
geotracks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2015, 22:11   #4777
BHPian
 
WildInstincts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Chn<>Coimbatore
Posts: 53
Thanked: 59 Times
Default Re: Renault Duster : Official Review

Honestly I do not see any red flag on both the issues. First on the rust. The response from Renault is acceptable. I have owned multiple vehicles from various manufacturers. Whenever you park a for a couple of days after a water service or after running through stagnant water, rust will form. You run the car for few yards and tap the breaks, it will go away. No big deal. Next, the break pad dust on alloys. It is also common. It becomes glaringly evident in alloys and not visible on steel rims. I have had a BMW in the US and used to personally clean it up when I did the car wash over the weekends. I am not vouching for Renault's quality but these two are non issues, in my opinion.
WildInstincts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2015, 11:55   #4778
BHPian
 
::CMS::'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 556
Thanked: 427 Times
Default Re: Renault Duster : Official Review

I dont see any issue with the brake disc and the brake pad change depends on the usage, I believe from the pics its taken after a long drive or not cleaned for a long time. BTW, its always better cleaning it before it gets baked to the paint, there are several detailing products to clean this effectively, Carpro IronX.
::CMS:: is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2015, 12:27   #4779
BHPian
 
penpusher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: UP-16/UK-04
Posts: 37
Thanked: 25 Times
Default Re: Renault Duster : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ::CMS:: View Post
I dont see any issue with the brake disc and the brake pad change depends on the usage, I believe from the pics its taken after a long drive or not cleaned for a long time.
+1. BTW I did not clean such deposits timely and now there are small unseemly accumulations around the tyre valves on my alloys which refuse to be washed off. What would you recommend for cleaning them?
penpusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2015, 19:11   #4780
BHPian
 
anilntny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: kottayam
Posts: 147
Thanked: 145 Times
Default Re: Renault Duster : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by pahwa View Post
Had a bitter taste of Renault service today. Booked an appointment for 10 AM and reached by 10:20 AM. Waited at reception for 40 mins for service advisor to attend.

Finally the SA showed up and started taking his notes without saying a word. The moment I mentioned that I want to be next to my vehicle when it is being serviced - he said "Sir vehicle will be returned on Monday evening only". Have decided not to give it away for service for 3 days. Its disturbing how Trident Renault cannot service 30 cars/day with such huge team.

Can someone give me some indication of service costs for 3rd FS - 20k KM? I am given an estimate of 12k, including engine oil, oil filter, air filter, AC filter and break pads etc. Break pads replacement after just 20k KMs??
That is very upsetting to know.I suggest you to make a complaint with service center manager .I had bitter experiences too .But I did wait for my turn.When I got a chance I did complain to service manager.If there is some genuine fault which can be shown to Renault India, please do take a picture of same.

In my case it was unclean interiors and dirt on exterior of serviced car. I took pictures first, went to service manger and told him how unhappy I was with both quality of service and attitude of service adviser.I conveyed my message in strong words and said I will sent pictures to Renault India. That really worked for me.

If service manager is also not responsible,please do send a detailed email to Renault India.Along with that make a post on Reanult India's Facebook page.That will work out.

Last edited by anilntny : 2nd March 2015 at 19:15.
anilntny is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2015, 19:23   #4781
BHPian
 
anilntny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: kottayam
Posts: 147
Thanked: 145 Times
Default Re: Renault Duster : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by penpusher View Post
+1. BTW I did not clean such deposits timely and now there are small unseemly accumulations around the tyre valves on my alloys which refuse to be washed off. What would you recommend for cleaning them?
I use a special alloy wheel cleaning brush .

It is very easy to clean with the brush as water source can be connected to one end.
Attached Images
 
anilntny is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2015, 20:08   #4782
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: noida
Posts: 1,047
Thanked: 296 Times
Default Re: Renault Duster : Official Review

Well I have an SX4 ZXI. My service manager has adviced that I get the alloys cleaned with a wet cloth instead of having the wheel washed with a bucket/hose pipe. As per him, this helps in preventing the brake disks from rusting. This also prevents poor braking when the brake pads are wet . This is the case when you start your vehicle in the morning after a wash. The brake pads take some time to dry out.
rajneeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2015, 20:23   #4783
BHPian
 
geotracks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 234
Thanked: 89 Times
Default Re: Renault Duster : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajneeesh View Post
Well I have an SX4 ZXI. My service manager has adviced that I get the alloys cleaned with a wet cloth instead of having the wheel washed with a bucket/hose pipe. As per him, this helps in preventing the brake disks from rusting. This also prevents poor braking when the brake pads are wet . This is the case when you start your vehicle in the morning after a wash. The brake pads take some time to dry out.
I am surprised that SM suggested not to wash with hose pipe for fear of rusting. In the US it is very common to take ones car thru' a automatic high pressure car wash where the wheels get sprayed with water. However, hardly any cases of 'rusting issues'. Maybe the QA / QC of cars sold in the US market is higher.
geotracks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2015, 20:27   #4784
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: noida
Posts: 1,047
Thanked: 296 Times
Default Re: Renault Duster : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by geotracks View Post
I am surprised that SM suggested not to wash with hose pipe for fear of rusting. In the US it is very common to take ones car thru' a automatic high pressure car wash where the wheels get sprayed with water. However, hardly any cases of 'rusting issues'. Maybe the QA / QC of cars sold in the US market is higher.
There is a difference between the two. In USA when you take the car thru a high pressure car wash, you drive the vehicle for some time. When this happens the excess water does not stay on the vehicle/ vehicle parts like the brake discs.
In India the cars are generally washed by servants / car wash boys every morning. In some cases while the cars are washed regularly, they are not used the same day/ for some days. In such cases the chances of rust formation are much higher.

Secondly, in a lot of places in India like noida, we get hard water and the salt in the water contributes to the corrosion process.
rajneeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2015, 21:47   #4785
BHPian
 
geotracks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 234
Thanked: 89 Times
Default Re: Renault Duster : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajneeesh View Post
There is a difference between the two. In USA when you take the car thru a high pressure car wash, you drive the vehicle for some time. When this happens the excess water does not stay on the vehicle/ vehicle parts like the brake discs.
In India the cars are generally washed by servants / car wash boys every morning. In some cases while the cars are washed regularly, they are not used the same day/ for some days. In such cases the chances of rust formation are much higher.

Secondly, in a lot of places in India like noida, we get hard water and the salt in the water contributes to the corrosion process.
Good points. Agree.

Also, one other point we both forgot to mention, in the US after a high pressure wash, there is a high pressure air blow drier too. That must be blowing off much of the water and then, like you mentioned the driver drives off with the vehicle immediately.
geotracks is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Renault Duster AWD : Official Review Rehaan Official New Car Reviews 610 5th December 2016 13:12
Its an SUV, it's a Sedan...No it's a Crossover! The Renault DUSTER: Ownership Review h.s.r Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 86 17th September 2016 11:38
Renault Duster : Official Launch Report parrys The Indian Car Scene 758 21st July 2012 20:36


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 10:41.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks