Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 19th November 2012, 12:22   #1441
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Renault Duster : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
The City is a car that Honda doesn't sell in any developed market.
Honda City is sold in Australia, a developed market. It is also priced very close to Civic, unlike the almost 50% premium they charge for Civic here.

http://www.carshowroom.com.au/manufacturer/list/Honda

I have seen reasonable number of new model cities during my visit there.
SkyWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2012, 14:45   #1442
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodcrawler View Post
I'm not sure why we are nitpicking here. Renault is a relatively new entrant into the Indian market (if you exclude the Logan fiasco). I'm sure they will improve over the next few months or years. I'm sure no company can set up a networks of 200 dealers & service center's over night.

I'm a doctor by profession and own a 5 year old Chevrolet Optra Royale and a 3 year old Fiat Punto Emotion pack that I use for my daily office & home use. I went for the Duster because I found that my other cars couldn't take me to certain places I wanted to go to, because of the ground clearance issue. The Mahindra Thar was an option that I considered but gave up after the Duster was announced. The reason. Duster is a better family car than the Thar in terms of comfort (for older members of my family) and security (hard top).

Shoola is a nice place for Duster like vehicles. Not very tough, not very easy terrain. I was waiting to take Duster there, but I end up in Going in Bike last month, since there was no clue about the delivery date

But last week I got my duster RXL 110, woodland brown and I will be again planning a trip to Shoola once 2k Kms are done
arunrajk81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2012, 18:13   #1443
AWD
BANNED

A question to those who are driving the versions without ABS, how is the braking ?

And any shortcomings with the base 85bhp variant(RXe) ?
AWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2012, 22:06   #1444
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD
A question to those who are driving the versions without ABS, how is the braking ?

And any shortcomings with the base 85bhp variant(RXe) ?
Hi AWD, I have and 85 rxl, and have driven on highways and city and don't feel any concern with brakes (no ABS). However the brakes do feel a little spongy and feel reassuring after couple of seconds of application.
engrohit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2012, 22:10   #1445
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suchit23

Not related: latest update on the Duster BT issue. The chief technician at Bangalore informed me that Renault engineers came up with a firmware patch 2 days back which resolved 70% of the problem. They are working on "patch to the patch" as we speak which will be available in 2 weeks time.
Great news Suchit, thanks. This BT issue is really limiting my BT usage due to other party not very comfortable with it. Can you also help me with my issue reg ipod connectivity which I have posted couple of pages ago. Thanks.
Old 20th November 2012, 10:20   #1446
AWD
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by engrohit View Post
Hi AWD, I have and 85 rxl, and have driven on highways and city and don't feel any concern with brakes (no ABS)
Thanks. Also what sort of FE display do the higher variants have, does it show real time FE, distance to empty & does the base variant does not have this feature ?

Bhpians, which Duster variant is the most popular & how good-bad is the base variant ?
AWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2012, 11:18   #1447
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by engrohit

Great news Suchit, thanks. This BT issue is really limiting my BT usage due to other party not very comfortable with it. Can you also help me with my issue reg ipod connectivity which I have posted couple of pages ago. Thanks.
Hey I would have replied if I knew the answer to that. I don't because I have not yet used my iPod as all my media is on my phone and I can stream that using Bluetooth. Now that you ask specifically may be I will take out my classic iPod and see if I can reproduce the issue and help. Please allow some time.
suchit23 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2012, 12:47   #1448
BHPian

engrohit - I am using my iPhone4 with no issues, I can test an iPod in the weekend.

Music streams over bluetooth, I can take calls, and so far other parties have not complained. I can also connect the iPhone via usb cable and it recognizes it as an ipod and plays the media.

I suggest trying multiple cables, and resetting the system. I had a crash on the system - BTAudio not detected - and it refused to respond untill one hour later after parking the car.
raul is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2012, 21:57   #1449

Guys! If all goes well I will be taking the delivery of my Duster- RXL 110 PS Brown tomorrow. The wait has been for 3 and a half months. Delivery time quoted by Gurgaon dealer was 4 months in this case. I visited the showroom during evening hours today and SA insisted to do a PDI. I agreed to do a PDI initially but suddenly remembered to read in one of Team BHP's forums to do the PDI only during day time. I have drafted a 25 point PDI checklist which I shall carry tomorrow morning.
1. Click pic of VIN no.
2. Check and note odometer reading (should not be more than 80 km). Check if odometer is disconnected
3. Watch for dents, paint qlty, scratches, rusting etc on car & bumper area
4. Check scratches on all mirrors & glass
5. Check if boot pulling is not faulty
6. Check if all seats are covered with plastic
7. Open & check fluid lid for any damages
8. Check remote locking/unlocking
9. Check windshield wash spray and check wiper blades
10. Check types if they have complete tread-lines and check Mfr date.
11. Check all the lights by switching on/off
12. Check engine oil levels and color
13. Check coolant & brake oil levels
14. Check battery for any corrosion
15. Check spare wheel, jack, wrench, tools are in place
16. Check music system, Bluetooth connectivity, AUX etc
17. Check the smoothness of pedals
18. Check power window operation
19. Glove box having all books
20. Check instrument cluster for all info display
21. Drive the car and check NHV Levels
22. Check rattling sounds if any
23. Check on leakages in car, if any
24. Check cabin lights are working fine
25. Click pictures from every angle for records.

Please let me know in case I have missed any important point .
Detailed initial ownership review shall be shared post clocking few miles.
Here is the 1st ever pic of my soon-to-be DUSTER.
Attached Images

nariyani is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2012, 22:43   #1450
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nariyani View Post
Check tyres for Rubber bulges and deformities
Check beading rubber for any blemishes.
Get Warranty card/form for Battery and tyres
Cabin should be spick and span - not a trace of dust.
scopriobharath is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2012, 22:46   #1451
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nariyani View Post
Why not use the TBHP checklist? In fact I had taken the exhaustive checklist for XUV and made some minor changes here and there to tailor it for Duster. Please use it, here it is.

Duster-PDI-Checklist-v1.00.xlsx
suchit23 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2012, 15:02   #1452
BHPian

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD! To know how to multi-quote, click here (How to MULTI-QUOTE (when replying to a thread) on Team-BHP).

Quote:
Originally Posted by engrohit View Post
Hi AWD, I have and 85 rxl, and have driven on highways and city and don't feel any concern with brakes (no ABS). However the brakes do feel a little spongy and feel reassuring after couple of seconds of application.
Hi,

I agree with you engrohit, I've also not had any issues with braking in the city or the highway without ABS. Also I'm not a very fast driver (80-90k) max on highways so hopefully that's a good thing. Also with the slightly higher CG I don't think these cars should be driven too fast, especially if you have to maneuver sharply.

BTW - my 85RXL is giving 19.5-20 kmpl this month which is all city driving. How much are you getting?

Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by h.s.r View Post
Has any TBhpian got delivery of 85 RXL.
If anybody has got the 85 RXL, i would like to know when was it booked.
=================
Over & above unfair trade practices by the dealer is aggravating me.
Hi hsr,

I booked my 85RXL in Delhi on july 2 and picked it up on August 21: booking before the launch definitely helped. But then so did tri-weekly visits to the dealership while sitting and staring at the showroom manager in his office. Also chat them up and get the inside info on the situation not the standard spiel they put across. Ultimately I learned I was getting the second or third cancelled allotment of the 85RXL just by showing my face. It's almost like a sales job

SO hsr keep the pressure on in subtle ways by making your presence and patience felt by constant reminders.

Cheers!

Last edited by GTO : 22nd November 2012 at 09:57. Reason: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another!
Clouseau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2012, 15:49   #1453
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clouseau
Hi,

I agree with you engrohit, I've also not had any issues with braking in the city or the highway without ABS.
==============
BTW - my 85RXL is giving 19.5-20 kmpl this month which is all city driving. How much are you getting?

Cheers!
Hi Clouseau

That's an excellent FE. I am getting 16 to 16.5 for 2200 KM. The FE you are reporting is over how many KM?
My city runs are in bumper to bumper mumbai traffic, this accounts for approx 40% of my total running till date.
Old 21st November 2012, 18:45   #1454
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clouseau View Post
BTW - my 85RXL is giving 19.5-20 kmpl this month which is all city driving

I don't think even the Micra, which shares the same heart, won't give 20 kmpl in city. Have you checked it over a full tank? What were the traffic conditions like? Are you getting this FE consistently?

And, what does she return on the highway?
thoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2012, 18:58   #1455
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
I don't think even the Micra, which shares the same heart, won't give 20 kmpl in city. Have you checked it over a full tank? What were the traffic conditions like? Are you getting this FE consistently?
I think it may be because of pseudo highway like driving conditions in the city.
That can give higher FE which is almost like highway numbers. 85BHP ARAI claim is ~21kmpl I think.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote