Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2017, 15:47   #5581
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Renault Duster : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by drnilswap View Post
Few queries to all duster owners at team-bhp:
Though I don't own a Duster, but used it extensively.

- Check for trim rattle and squeak noise
- Suspension (with good ground clearance and decent suspension setup expect the vehicle to be abused on rough roads)
- Uneven tire wear

Rest is covered in general PDI checklist.

85 vs 105 is your personal choice. I prefer 85 PS for regular city use (not bad at highways though)
Mr.Boss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2017, 16:11   #5582
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Few queries to all duster owners at team-bhp:

Is buying a preowned duster a good idea?
Any major difference with respect to facelift model?
Any particular thing that the duster owners here would like to advise?

A friend of mine was looking to buy a preowned duster and he has no idea what to expect from a 3-4-year-old vehicle. All your inputs will be valuable. Thanks in advance.
The dashboard is slightly different, the front fascia and air vent portion only. Duster does not have a good resale value and it is very difficult to find a less abused vehicle. The best price for a 3-4-year-old vehicle will be around 5 lakhs max even if it is extremely well-maintained irrespective of the variant.
deehunk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2017, 20:26   #5583
BHPian

Hi guys

Getting my AMT Duster this Friday. And i have a query regarding the accessories.

The dealer is quoting 8537/- for the DRLs. I felt it a bit high. Is it worth the price?
Old 6th April 2017, 08:55   #5584
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingkolors View Post
Getting my AMT Duster this Friday. And i have a query regarding the accessories.

The dealer is quoting 8537/- for the DRLs. I felt it a bit high. Is it worth the price?
Congrats!

If you are fancy about DRL without losing the warranty on a brand new vehicle, you don't have an option rather than paying a premium price to the dealer. But 8.5k for DRL is not worth IMO.
Old 6th April 2017, 14:37   #5585
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Here go the answers to your questions.

Quote:
What are the few things one should keep in mind if one is looking for the duster in preowned market?
Its not a super refined vehicle but outperforms 90 % of the vehicles sold in India in terms of the balance it provides between ride quality and highway legal speed stability. Added advantage is Rough road ability and abuse handling nature. Maintenance in the longer run will be more expensive than that of an XUV just because of cost of spares and labour.

Is buying a preowned duster a good idea?

It is a good idea if you get a decently kept low mileage car since re-sale values are quite low. Look for cars that have run within the cities only, even though the vehicle can take abuse well, a less abused vehicle will have lesser rattles.

Any major difference with respect to facelift model?

pre-facelift 110 PS models feel they have more aggressive throttle response. They have smaller brakes which increases the frequency of brake wear. Also a heavier clutch which takes a little while to get used to.

Any particular thing that the duster owners here would like to advice?

Old beige leather seats (of RxZ trim) are more comfortable than new model seats. Cars with rear a/c are rare now since they only gave that option for the first year or so, which could be an added plus since the a/c takes time to cool the cabin. Engine note gets raspy to borderline crackly at about 2500 rpm or so which is totally normal and nothing to worry about. Pre-media-nav music systems tend to loose LCD display contrast when the car is parked in the sun in high temperatures, but it gets back to normal as the cabin cools down. Rear wheel bearing replacement should be checked and be alerted about since i think the service centers scam the owners by claiming premature failure. Rear wheel well liners tend to crack but that does not hamper performance in any way.

Any maintenance issues/major work in the long term?

Depending on how much running is anticipated take a vehicle which has either had its 120K km service or is far away from it. That service can cost a bomb.

Ideal mileage? Which variant would be good 85 or 110?

45-60 K km run vehicle would be good. 85 for the city or for the economy conscious. 110 if you enjoy and get to do a lot of highway driving.

Has anybody here got himself/herself a preowned duster? How has been the experience?

-- Have exchanged my 2015 AWD with my dad's 2012 110 which could pass on as owning a pre-owned Duster. I don't miss the added features of the 2015 model even a bit since my running is 90 % on well paved roads. I feel the 2012 model steering is a little bigger, clutch a bit harder but now imperceivably so after using it for 6 months.

Last edited by Tgo : 6th April 2017 at 14:39.
Tgo is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th April 2017, 13:39   #5586
BHPian

Can anyone suggest a good replacement battery for Duster 85. I didn't use the car for 2 days and when I tried to start on Sunday morning the battery was dead. It was showing signs of weakness last couple of months and cranking was taking a little more time.

Is battery replacement straight forward in Duster or do we need to take care of anything specific?
Old 10th April 2017, 13:52   #5587
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselLover View Post
Is battery replacement straight forward in Duster or do we need to take care of anything specific?
It's straight forward replacement, nothing specific.
Most of my friends and colleagues went for Amaron as replacement (Costed around 5k IIRC)
Old 12th April 2017, 13:51   #5588

Quote:
Originally Posted by m8002? View Post
Today's Times ad mentions a new RxS trim for the Duster. I couldnt find it on the website.
Anybody here aware of features and where it is slotted in the hierarchy?
RXS trim slotted between RXL and RxZ trims. In addition to RXL it has a pessanger airbag, alloy wheels and touch screen media player.
SVS1806 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2017, 23:02   #5589
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgo View Post

It is a good idea if you get a decently kept low

a vehicle which has either had its 120K km service or is far away from it. That service can cost a bomb.
Great inputs. I want to know what exactly is the general cost of a 120k service. ?

My car has done 90k odd kms in exactly two years. Last three services at FNG.I did the 60K service at the authorised center which cost 25k. I was planning to get the 120k service at the authorised service center.

I've seen 40k 4 years old top end dusters go for as low as 6 lakhs. That's an incredible deal I'd say. I was seriously thinking of getting a second hand duster for my wife as a second car. What prices do the Awd sell in the pre-worshiped market?
Old 17th April 2017, 08:35   #5590
BHPian

Hi everyone,

I have a Duster AMT and have clocked about 6.5K on the ODO. As I am planning a trip to GOA from Mumbai this weekend (will be covering around 1500 KMs max), wanted to know whether I should go for my second service which is due at 10K kms to be on the safer side or regular fluid checkup and general checkup will do the work.

Renault has its summer camp starting from today which will last for a week. They have some discount on spare parts and labor etc. In addition to that there will be a free general check up and a top wash.

Since I ll visit the workshop please let me know whether I should use my 2nd free service 3.5K prior to the 10K mark and get a full service or a routine check up will do.

Regards
Soumya
thisissoumya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2017, 10:31   #5591
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
It's straight forward replacement, nothing specific.
Most of my friends and colleagues went for Amaron as replacement (Costed around 5k IIRC)
Thanks. Bought an Amaron as replacement. Cost is 5.8K after exchanging old battery.
Old 18th April 2017, 10:51   #5592
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisissoumya View Post
Hi everyone,

I have a Duster AMT and have clocked about 6.5K on the ODO. As I am planning a trip to GOA from Mumbai this weekend (will be covering around 1500 KMs max), wanted to know whether I should go for my second service which is due at 10K kms to be on the safer side or regular fluid checkup and general checkup will do the work.

Renault has its summer camp starting from today which will last for a week. They have some discount on spare parts and labor etc. In addition to that there will be a free general check up and a top wash.

Since I ll visit the workshop please let me know whether I should use my 2nd free service 3.5K prior to the 10K mark and get a full service or a routine check up will do.

Regards
Soumya
Yours is a new vehicle and running fine, Its better to wait till 10k completion IMO.
These service camp is a regular feature. Dont think you can save much over a free service anyways.
C300 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2017, 23:13   #5593
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
The best price for a 3-4-year-old vehicle will be around 5 lakhs max even if it is extremely well-maintained irrespective of the variant.
Thanks so much for the input. The last time i talked to my friend, all the Dusters he had seen were around 7 lacs or above. I thought may be it was city to city variation but when I searched online during my spare time, his claim was vindicated.

Quote:
Here go the answers to your questions.
That was fairly comprehensive. Thanks so much. All the Dusters he drove, he indeed found the clutch to be on the heavier side.
drnilswap is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th May 2017, 20:45   #5594
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh09ad5578 View Post
Great inputs. I want to know what exactly is the general cost of a 120k service. ?

What prices do the Awd sell in the pre-worshiped market?
It depends what all coincides at your 120K service.
10-12k for service
40k forTyre change
45k for clutch change
9k for brakes and rotors

AWD owners dont put their cars on sale as often, because they were sure of spending extra while purchase, so they were sure of what they wanted, and later they know nothing else compares to it.
Tgo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th May 2017, 09:22   #5595
BHPian

Quote:
It depends what all coincides at your 120K service.
10-12k for service
40k forTyre change
45k for clutch change
9k for brakes and rotors
10-12k includes timing belt change?
My tyres might require change at 140k km
On the clutch part, is a big one
Brake pads need replacement at 100k itself so that's fine I guess.
Thanks for the info, I'll stager the changes to better absorb the service bill shock. But the main thing I need to visit the service center is for the timing belt change rest all i can trust my fng to get done.

About the awd yes like you said almost none online maybe another 2 now years down the line a few will be available as I think awd was launched only in 2014

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks