Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2012, 21:49   #166
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: GURGAON
Posts: 87
Thanked: 22 Times
Default Re: 2012 Chevrolet Cruze : Official Review

As mentioned in my post yesterday, I went to Lajpat - BK Tyres to decide on the replacement tyres. I was nervous on shifting from the stock size as I did not want the car to start swaying anymore to the left (which it still does). They did nt have CPC2 due to unavailbility of stock (Contis are hardly available these days), Yokos were not available in stock size too - would have had to move to t he 215/55 size as on my earlier Cruze and Brdigestones were recommended by BK Tyres as being noisy.

That left me with only one choice in stock size - Michelin Primacy LC. I was/ still am very nervous about the tales of the soft sidewalls and not being very suitable for Indian roads. Not to forget that they are the most expensive. But the owner mentioned that Michelins would be the best choice in stock size and that I was unnecessarily getting worried about the so walls etc. I hesitantly decided to got for the Michelins as BK tyres was recommended to me for giving the correct advise on tyres always.

My experience so far - the ride has definitely become softer and the tyres seems to give a gliding effect. Though I am still nervous on every speed breaker and bad patch of road, afraid of damaging the Michelins or the tyres developing the famous and much talked about 'bulge'.

Another thing that I noticed was that the Michelins appear to look smaller in width and height that the JKs. The JKs use to very slightly protrude out of the car body but the Michelins hardly reach the edge of the body.

On my way back I also checked the Conti showroom in Khan Market and even they did not have the CPC2 in stock size.

Any comments ?
kch82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2012, 23:57   #167
Team-BHP Support
 
mobike008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 10,390
Thanked: 6,977 Times
Default Re: 2012 Chevrolet Cruze : Official Review

My Cruze at 32K kms drives straight as an arrow and this is despite me getting a wheel alignment done after 10K kms.

I normally test it often leaving my hands off the steering wheel and it goes absolutely straight

The last 2 cycles of WA & WB were :-

21,000kms and then recently done at 31000kms. Otherwise, I used to get it done at roughly 6000kms. Now I feel getting it at 5K-6K kms is an overkill and will get it done at approx 10,000km range.
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2012, 00:33   #168
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: GURGAON
Posts: 87
Thanked: 22 Times
Default Re: 2012 Chevrolet Cruze : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
My Cruze at 32K kms drives straight as an arrow and this is despite me getting a wheel alignment done after 10K kms.

I normally test it often leaving my hands off the steering wheel and it goes absolutely straight

The last 2 cycles of WA & WB were :-

21,000kms and then recently done at 31000kms. Otherwise, I used to get it done at roughly 6000kms. Now I feel getting it at 5K-6K kms is an overkill and will get it done at approx 10,000km range.

I do not know what is it then with the car swaying left. I TD three AT and one Manual Cruze and all went to the left on leaving the wheel. Also if you we're to check the cruzetalk forum (for international Cruze) even members there complain about the Cruze pulling left. A couple of other web links from India talk about the same issue. Wonder whether this a problem with just the 2012 model ?

Also another interesting read on the tyres wherein surprisingly the stock tyres have been appreciated and the weak sidewalls of Michelin discussed -
http://*************/showthread.php?...-Options/page2

I have also been struggling to tune the radio and save the channels that I want. I have tried using the update channel list feature, but somehow the channel do not get saved and play when I shift from one station to another ? Also how do I delete a channel from the favourites list and set my top 6 stations that can be operated from 1-6 keys on the system ?

Thanks
kch82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2012, 07:16   #169
BHPian
 
rangakishen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 200
Thanked: 87 Times
Default Re: 2012 Chevrolet Cruze : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by kch82 View Post
I have also been struggling to tune the radio and save the channels that I want. I have tried using the update channel list feature, but somehow the channel do not get saved and play when I shift from one station to another ? Also how do I delete a channel from the favourites list and set my top 6 stations that can be operated from 1-6 keys on the system ?

Thanks
Turn the dial and tune the radio to the desired channel. Then keep the appropriate number pressed for a few seconds. That frequency will get saved in that number!
rangakishen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2012, 10:53   #170
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: GURGAON
Posts: 87
Thanked: 22 Times
Default Re: 2012 Chevrolet Cruze : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangakishen View Post
Turn the dial and tune the radio to the desired channel. Then keep the appropriate number pressed for a few seconds. That frequency will get saved in that number!
Thanks. That did work. But what I want to store more than 6 stations using the same method. Considering that there are only 6 button son the system, but the steering audio control can let me select from many more than 6 stations ? Hope I am making some sense here
kch82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2012, 00:14   #171
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: GURGAON
Posts: 87
Thanked: 22 Times
Default Re: 2012 Chevrolet Cruze : Official Review

Hello again. I noticed that my car made a single beep sound - similar to the one that is made when driver does not wear seat belt, just that this one was a single beep. It has happened thrice in since last weekend while driving and I think it comes from the passenger front seat side.

Also in my replacement car, the doors do not automatically lock once I sit in. The doors use to auto lock in my earlier sand drift grey Cruze. Any settings required ?

And my car still runs to the left. At times it is exemely annoying and I need to drive with the steering turned a degree or two more to the right - to go straight. I am unable to understand as to what is the problem here ? I TD 4-5 Cruze and all of them behaved in a similar manner. Two friends with the earlier model AT and Manual experienced the same problem.

I will post my detailed reviews of the rat hopefully this weekend.

Drive Safe.
kch82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2012, 00:35   #172
BHPian
 
KINI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: chennai
Posts: 302
Thanked: 101 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kch82
Hello again. I noticed that my car made a single beep sound - similar to the one that is made when driver does not wear seat belt, just that this one was a single beep. It has happened thrice in since last weekend while driving and I think it comes from the passenger front seat side.

Also in my replacement car, the doors do not automatically lock once I sit in. The doors use to auto lock in my earlier sand drift grey Cruze. Any settings required ?

And my car still runs to the left. At times it is exemely annoying and I need to drive with the steering turned a degree or two more to the right - to go straight. I am unable to understand as to what is the problem here ?

Drive Safe.
The doors auto lock once you cross 20kmph,not as soon as you sit in.

Regarding the sound,do check the owner's manual if anything is mentioned?Also,is the seat belt sign visible when you hear the noise?

Like many others in the forum I have found the steering to be more sensitive to the a left or right slant on the road compared to other vehicles.I don't think that is anything to worry about.I have tested my car on a perfectly flat road and the steering was rock solid.Do try that!!
KINI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2012, 09:38   #173
BHPian
 
BurningHeart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 427
Thanked: 54 Times
Default Re: 2012 Chevrolet Cruze : Official Review

My 8000 km Cruze also pulls madly to the left. They said they adjusted the toe at 7500 km, but it still pulls. Recently I had to get my Michelin PLC sidewall puncture (!!!!) fixed and I am on Vectra on the front left. The left pull has increased.
BurningHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2012, 11:37   #174
Senior - BHPian
 
F150's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: PUNE
Posts: 1,566
Thanked: 625 Times
Default Re: 2012 Chevrolet Cruze : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurningHeart View Post
My 8000 km Cruze also pulls madly to the left. They said they adjusted the toe at 7500 km, but it still pulls. Recently I had to get my Michelin PLC sidewall puncture (!!!!) fixed and I am on Vectra on the front left. The left pull has increased.
Uneven tyre tread will lead to the pull to one side. I would suggest you fit the the vectra at the rear and not the front.
F150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2012, 11:38   #175
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: GURGAON
Posts: 87
Thanked: 22 Times
Default Re: 2012 Chevrolet Cruze : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurningHeart View Post
My 8000 km Cruze also pulls madly to the left. They said they adjusted the toe at 7500 km, but it still pulls. Recently I had to get my Michelin PLC sidewall puncture (!!!!) fixed and I am on Vectra on the front left. The left pull has increased.
How can Chevrolet not address such a major flaw ? More than just a discomfort it can prove risky on high speeds. An international forum stated that the Torque converter is the reason for this left side pull. BurningHeart your PLC's did not turn out well ? I have been driving extra cautiously on the PLC's which is killing the fun a bit.
kch82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2012, 15:08   #176
BHPian
 
rangakishen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 200
Thanked: 87 Times
Default Re: 2012 Chevrolet Cruze : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINI View Post
Like many others in the forum I have found the steering to be more sensitive to the a left or right slant on the road compared to other vehicles.I don't think that is anything to worry about.I have tested my car on a perfectly flat road and the steering was rock solid.Do try that!!
+1!! Exact same experience!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kch82 View Post
And my car still runs to the left. At times it is exemely annoying and I need to drive with the steering turned a degree or two more to the right - to go straight.
Pulling to left is one thing. Having to give corrective steering input is quite another. IF your observation that you need to give 1-2 degree corrective right input for it to go straight is correct, then you have a problem at hand. May be an offset steering. You should get it checked by a Alignment and Balancing workshop away from the ***.

All our observations indicate that the car slightly pulls to the left when the steering is not held. When we hold the steering in straight position, it definitely has to go straight. My car does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kch82 View Post
How can Chevrolet not address such a major flaw ? More than just a discomfort it can prove risky on high speeds.
There are two kind of problems being posted here.
1. Mine or KINI's problem. Cars tends to go left on banked roads when steering is not held. This is not a problem just an inherent property. If your's is this problem, you shoudnt worry.

2. As you have mention about the corrective steering. If this is the case then its a problem alright, BUT I think it is a one off as not many have reported such a thing. Not a general flaw.

Please do try and understand the difference between the two stated problems and tell us which one you are facing. And try and consult with our tbhp expert on this matter - Nikhil. He's seen on most Tires threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kch82 View Post
BurningHeart your PLC's did not turn out well ? I have been driving extra cautiously on the PLC's which is killing the fun a bit.
Umm, What is your tires load rating. I don't know if it matters, but mine is 99 and have fairly sturdy tires. I mean I've seriously put it to some abuse, yet it has come out with flying colours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurningHeart View Post
My 8000 km Cruze also pulls madly to the left. They said they adjusted the toe at 7500 km, but it still pulls. Recently I had to get my Michelin PLC sidewall puncture (!!!!) fixed and I am on Vectra on the front left. The left pull has increased.
Do let us know which one of the above two stated problem you are having.

Last edited by rangakishen : 28th September 2012 at 15:13.
rangakishen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2012, 15:18   #177
BHPian
 
BurningHeart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 427
Thanked: 54 Times
Default Re: 2012 Chevrolet Cruze : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by kch82 View Post
How can Chevrolet not address such a major flaw ? More than just a discomfort it can prove risky on high speeds. An international forum stated that the Torque converter is the reason for this left side pull. BurningHeart your PLC's did not turn out well ? I have been driving extra cautiously on the PLC's which is killing the fun a bit.
The PLCs are great tires and I do take care of them. But my driver, on our return from Cochin to Bangalore, jumped into a deep pothole at some speed. Where the tread is fused to the sidewall, there is a tiny puncture. Loses pressure at about 5 psi/day.

But I wished I listened to Ashwini @ Sai Iyengar who recommended Yoko DB Drives to me. They were 1000 rupees less than PLC a piece too. :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangakishen View Post

Umm, What is your tires load rating. I don't know if it matters, but mine is 99 and have fairly sturdy tires. I mean I've seriously put it to some abuse, yet it has come out with flying colours.
I don't think load rating is an issue at all. PLC have soft sidewalls, does not mean they are not sturdy. You just need to be careful with rough surfaces. Again, it is difficult to interpret your sentence and what you were trying to convey.

Last edited by BurningHeart : 28th September 2012 at 15:20.
BurningHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2012, 20:01   #178
BHPian
 
rangakishen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 200
Thanked: 87 Times
Default Re: 2012 Chevrolet Cruze : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurningHeart View Post
I don't think load rating is an issue at all. PLC have soft sidewalls, does not mean they are not sturdy. You just need to be careful with rough surfaces. Again, it is difficult to interpret your sentence and what you were trying to convey.
I don't know what deciphers the load rating. Just thought
higher load rating = better toughness.
Not sure though.
rangakishen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2012, 22:40   #179
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: GURGAON
Posts: 87
Thanked: 22 Times
Default Re: 2012 Chevrolet Cruze : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangakishen View Post
+1!! Exact same experience!



Pulling to left is one thing. Having to give corrective steering input is quite another. IF your observation that you need to give 1-2 degree corrective right input for it to go straight is correct, then you have a problem at hand. May be an offset steering. You should get it checked by a Alignment and Balancing workshop away from the ***.

All our observations indicate that the car slightly pulls to the left when the steering is not held. When we hold the steering in straight position, it definitely has to go straight. My car does.



There are two kind of problems being posted here.
1. Mine or KINI's problem. Cars tends to go left on banked roads when steering is not held. This is not a problem just an inherent property. If your's is this problem, you shoudnt worry.

2. As you have mention about the corrective steering. If this is the case then its a problem alright, BUT I think it is a one off as not many have reported such a thing. Not a general flaw.

Please do try and understand the difference between the two stated problems and tell us which one you are facing. And try and consult with our tbhp expert on this matter - Nikhil. He's seen on most Tires threads.



Umm, What is your tires load rating. I don't know if it matters, but mine is 99 and have fairly sturdy tires. I mean I've seriously put it to some abuse, yet it has come out with flying colours.



Do let us know which one of the above two stated problem you are having.
I just cross checked the steering position for a quite a few Kim's today and my observation is that I had hold the steering 2-3 degree to the right for the car to go straight. In my earlier Cruze if I held the steering straight the car just went straight. But in this one I constantly hold the steering tilted very slightly to the right.

I will be visiting my alignment guy tomorrow noon and I hope this problem can be rectified with a simple alignment. I am really get frustrated with the constant problems the car has been giving me from day one

First time when I purchased a car and it started giving me trouble from the outset. My friends mock me for choosing a 'American brand' over the much better Germans. And no matter how much I try to justify my choice, but the fact remains that the car has been nothing but annoying for me. I mean the minimum one can expect n car (after getting it replaced) - that it drive straight !!!!
kch82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2012, 07:19   #180
BHPian
 
rangakishen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 200
Thanked: 87 Times
Default Re: 2012 Chevrolet Cruze : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by kch82 View Post
First time when I purchased a car and it started giving me trouble from the outset. My friends mock me for choosing a 'American brand' over the much better Germans. And no matter how much I try to justify my choice, but the fact remains that the car has been nothing but annoying for me. I mean the minimum one can expect n car (after getting it replaced) - that it drive straight !!!!
It's just a bit of bad luck. Chill!
Get the car to a reputed alignment shop and things should be just fine. As long as the car goes straight when steering is held straight, you are ok. Then you can test the car on perfectly flat roads.
It's a small problem which is not necessarily Cruze's problem. In most probabilities it is a one off. Might have been caused by dealer's carelessness. So don't worry so much about the car. Few problems in the beginning might be annoying but the car will serve you well for years to come. Chill and enjoy the beast!!

Last edited by rangakishen : 29th September 2012 at 07:20.
rangakishen is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Chevrolet Cruze stolen from the Treo Chevrolet (Okhla) service center! wilful Street Experiences 16 1st August 2014 13:55
Choosing to Cruze - Chevrolet Cruze LTZ AT. (First 500 kms) a.sundaram Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 47 22nd April 2014 16:46
Chevrolet Cruze or the Chevrolet Optra - Which car and why? blueorchid Sedans 105 18th November 2011 10:03
Hyundai Verna Fluidic Vs. Chevrolet Optra Magnum vs Chevrolet Cruze soulweaver Sedans 55 3rd October 2011 10:48


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 22:34.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks