Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 14th October 2012, 16:08   #211

Default Re: 2012 Chevrolet Cruze : Official Review

Hey Guys,

Wanted to update on my new Cruze AT. I had paid an initial booking amount to Nikhil Auto on Oct 2nd since the dealer wanted to provide me with the price protection and keep a Cruze AT (Summit White) already in their depot (August manu) alloted to me. I got a good cash discount against it as well, and as far as my requirements are concerned: <100 km on the ODO, they were willing since it was in depot. All of the negotiations were helped by the HDFC guys who are our corporate salary team.

Day before the disbursement was made, and yesterday, the Nikhil auto guy calls me and says I need to pay the rest which will also include the updated price! I went wild, and I said I would cancel my booking for this kind of last minute strong arming tactics. I got on call with his manager and gave him a piece of my mind, the reason for hurrying the booking was his need, not mine, I was already getting discounts from other dealers as well, I was not in hurry. Nevertheless, he blamed the HDFC guys that the deal was if the disbursement was done before x date then the price protection was valid and since HDFC delayed the disbursement, hence the new pricing is in effect. I took both HDFC and Nikhil auto to task and said not only was I canceling the order, also taking them to consumer court for going against their word.

I know a few people in high places in Govt, and I also mentioned that I would sue them, and also get them in trouble from GM/Chevy, media and IT (not relevant, but basic raids in book keeping would be a good exercise). While he said its not NA's fault that they had kept HDFC informed, I stated, it was entirely their fault they din't keep me informed. I asked for the owner or the GM to call me back since I am done talking and by 5pm if I dont have the answer that the original deal sticks, I am taking it my way.

The senior sales manager took the case up after promising a call back from General Manager, and after many discussions internally called me back to say that the original deal has been agreed by the senior management and I will not be required to bear the new pricing cost.

Now while I am happy it turned out well, it left a bad taste in my mouth that the dealers end up trying to pull a fast one on the unsuspecting customers. I have a strong experience of dealing with vendors/partners and while such fast ones are common practice, this was something I did not expect from Nikhil Auto. While they have been doing a good sales job in satisfying my requirements pre-sale, this was a cheap shot in trying to push nearly 40k on me with an Aug manu car in depot (I had extracted nearly 40k on discount and I guess they wanted to try to pull a fast one on me to cover it).

Well all's well that ends well they say. I am hoping no more of such nonsensical behavior is seen further down till delivery. I hope this is a learning for other folks here and while I wish no-one is subjected to this kind, but better informed than not!

Cheers - will keep folks updated on my delivery of my white steed!
highwalker is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2012, 03:40   #212
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwalker View Post
Cheers - will keep folks updated on my delivery of my white steed!
Hi Highwalker,

What is the kind of mileage that you get from your brand new AT. I expect an AT to give a mileage of atleast of 10kmpl in city and atleast 14 on highway is expectable.

Any other AT cruze owner can provide their mileage.
kailashnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2012, 13:10   #213
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kailashnj View Post
Hi Highwalker,

What is the kind of mileage that you get from your brand new AT. I expect an AT to give a mileage of atleast of 10kmpl in city and atleast 14 on highway is expectable.

10kmpl in the AT is the best you can ever expect in city. You will get a mileage of around 9kmpl after the second service hopefully. My AT is giving me around 7.5 - 8 kmpl and is due for first service now.
kch82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2012, 18:23   #214
BHPian

Hey everyone,
Regarding the hunt for the "perfect" long- term highway machine for my family, I ended up taking my mom and dad to the nearby Chevrolet showroom to test drive the new Cruze. So here's my report on the overall experience:

Prologue:

I called up German Motors day- before- yesterday evening to check whether a TD of the new Manual Tranny Cruze was possible. The SP called me back informing they only have the AT version with them but they'll make sure I get a MT version within one day's time. The TD was booked for 2 p.m. today and just liked we planned, I ended up at GM motors with my mom and dad. After the pleasantries, we walked over to our Diamond White TD vehicle...

Initial impression:

The Cruze was a sight to behold. It was superbly built and had a lot of presence. It was oozing with character unlike its competition. Good paint finish, minimal panel gaps, chunky wheels(well, sort of), aggressive and bold design, a full on attention grabber! Her movements seemed well calculated and dignified, and she commanded respect- at least that's how I felt!

The Drive!:

Since I specifically mentioned the SP that we needed a good highway drive, he offered to drive us to a bypass section which lead towards the National Highway. This bypass was known for speed cameras and police presence owing to its well maintained roads with sweeping curves and fast straights. Our "highway" drive was to be conducted here. I let my dad do the honors and had him drive first. Me and mom sat in the back.

Dad had trouble getting it past the first two gears, after which it was smooth sailing. To my surprise, dad was accelerating quite hard though he never went over 90. He's always been a smooth and sedate driver but on the Cruze he was being a bit enthusiastic (Ah I remember him in his earlier days...).. he drove for a few kms after which I got on the driver seat... (drum roll in the distance)

First thing I notice is the superb driving position and then the "cockpit" effect which just makes you want to drive and drive some more! Visibility was excellent. The electrically adjustable driver's seat was a boon. A few adjustment and off i went!

Initially I just coaxed her along till fourth gear, took in the whole experience as we got to know each other...Everything was fine and dandy until.. I smiled... down- shifted to 3rd at 50 kph... drowned the throttle. She reacted with brutal ferocity!! I mean I've driven cars fast but the way she picked up the pace was unreal! The acceleration was savage and all of us got pushed hard into our seats. I was grinning all the way as we passed 130 kph in fourth, after which I up- shifted and relaxed the pace a bit. Overtaking was effortless as we left every other car eating the dust! There was so much torque from her engine that it never felt strained at any speeds. Triple digit speeds don't sweat her one bit and one really feels the huge amount of power on reserve that can propel the car over 200kph. Sweet!! The brakes were superb and had a strong bite. After a few comments from my mom on driving smoothly I realized one thing- It's easy to get carried away by the enthusiast in you when you're inside the Cruze. But it takes severe patience and a good amount of skills to ride her smoothly. She certainly was refined (It felt more silent than many petrol cars I've driven!) and composed at very high speeds but you need to be easy on the throttle ,clutch and brakes to make the experience enjoyable for the passengers. You have to be much more smoother with the gears shifts than you need to be with, say a Vento or Ikon (merely stating the care with which you need to pilot the Cruze here. I know that a comparison with the Cruze will be unfair for the Vento or the Ikon!)

I ended up stalling the massive motor on a traffic stop...and I felt her mocking me for my inadequacy (Okay its personal... I'm in love and I'll do anything to please this beast!!.... ) She is not what one would call "smooth" or "sublime". One would better describe the Cruze as " like being hit with a hammer!". Just go easy on the hammer or cover it with a good amount of cloth and things might be a whole lot easier... just figuratively speaking here. I can only imagine how the old Cruze would have been like. Must have been exhilarating! The new Cruze is tamable but its damn hard to ignore the want to push her hard and that's where the she wins hands down! To simply put it, she goes unlike anything I've driven so far. Honestly I'm a bit Intimidated... and in love... more like lust but you know what I mean!!

The hydraulic steering felt direct and offered decent feedback. It did feel a bit rubbery at times but it wasn't too bad. It was well- weighted and accurate. The suspension was complaint- not hard, not soft, but somewhere in between. I did feel like severe steering inputs would make her under- steer but if driven smoothly it wouldn't be an issue (Whose going to race on Kerala roads anyway!?? Seriously!) She felt a bit top-heavy through some tight bends. One could always sense the momentum as the big diesel's weight was being thrown around the curves. I felt nice but wasn't exactly 100% confidence inspiring. Enjoyable though! Bumps and potholes were not a big issue. Only the really huge ones filtered through but none of them could quite unsettle her. I deliberately drove over some bad patches and asked my parents if they felt anything, but they didn't. And that's some compliment considering my mom's got "spidey sense" when it comes to detecting bumps and potholes!
I would call her overall dynamics and poise as "impressive" though not "excellent". Chevrolet has struck a satisfying balance between handling and comfort (Hello Hyundai!), both at low and high speeds, which is not at all easy on our roads. Good job guys!

Special Note: This is by far the ONLY car I've driven which intimidated Kerala pedestrians so much that they literally jumped out of the road as they saw us approaching from a distance. Even traffic ahead gave way without any hesitation! I guess the aggressive front is having its effect on humans (I'm so in love!!)

To drive her slow in city traffic is a bit of a handful if I'm honest. The engine and tranny hate slow speeds. Though they'll get the job done without much fuss, it's not until you get moving that the motor relaxes (It's as if it gives a sigh of relief after the 2nd gear). Bumper to bumper situations will have you shifting from 1st to 2nd constantly. I was told by the SP that the motor will stall if I try to "roll" from near stand- still situations on 2nd. So I was constantly changing gears in fear of stalling right in the middle of city traffic. That's by far the only downside I found with the sweet motor (sure we need a full on highway machine but you can't ignore the inevitable high- noon traffic even on highways. Welcome to Kerala!)

The interiors:

On the inside, the "well built" theme continued with a rock- solid, well appointed cabin which cocooned you right in. It felt tight and futuristic with a lot of design flair unlike the insides of the Jetta. The generous green house (including the sun- roof that is!) gave the cabin a sense of airiness without which the cabin would've felt a bit claustrophobic, especially for short people sitting at the back. The color choice on the inside was also good- Elegant yet sporty. From a designer's point of view I felt that the round air- con vents on the sides didn't gel too well with the rest of the dash, which is rather modern and sharp in appearance. Though the materials don't "lack" in quality as such, I felt that a different choice of materials would have done better on a premium car like this. Soft- touch plastics on the dash and doors for instance, would have upped the "premium- ness" quite a lot. Though satisfied with what was on offer, I also felt that the door pads looked a bit plain- Jane compared to the rest of the interior and lacked the design flair seen on the rest of the car.

The seats, though a bit firm, offered good comfort and were accommodating. Rear seat space was also not an issue for us since we were used to the confines of sedans a segment lower. Everyone could stretch their legs to an extent. No complaints from anyone on this aspect. The Jetta has better knee room but the center tunnel on the floor meant that the 5th passenger entered at his own risk. The Cruze's center tunnel was not as obtrusive. We did feel that the rear headroom was a bit low but since our family lacks anyone really tall, it was okay.

Boot space was adequate, though not as accommodating as the Jetta. The latter also comes with seats that split- fold. The insides of the VW was high on practicality and had certain thoughtful features which increased its appeal. It also used better materials on the inside. The Cruze on the other hand is all about looks and "being in the moment".

The music system was decent enough with acceptable bass, mid- tone and treble levels. Mom and dad are sensitive listeners so there's no point in having a hi- fi system anyways! Imagine listening to black and white melodies while the sub- woofer sits there, cursing its existence. You get the picture!

What spoils the otherwise good listening experience in the Cruze is the ever- present (I believe to be) tire noise. I think this to be a result of having JK Vectras as the standard tires. Dear Cruze owners, please comment on this! Don't know if I'm wrong here. I've come across reports on Team- BHP where many owners have complained about the JKs. Even the SP agreed that the JKs don't do justice to the ride of the Cruze. (Yeah she don't like 'em cheap shoes! )

The cabin insulation was decent except for the occasional heavy bus horns which filter through. Engine noise was insulated beautifully and I'm really impressed with what Chevrolet has done. It gets a big "+" from me.

Parent's feedback:

Dad:
"Breathtaking power and engine refinement. It just overtakes everything in front!! Nice cockpit- like cabin which is wide and accommodating. Nice, well- weighted steering wheel. Good interior colors. Superb brakes. Solid build- inside and outside. Uniquely tuned suspension which is well composed at speed. Road presence! Engine bay is well shielded from the elements. Are the seats really covered with leather cuz they seem kind of fake to me... Will I get a decent economy? Will it be really expensive to maintain than the C segment cars? Nicely made vehicle which speaks for itself."

Mom:
"I liked almost everything. Good interiors. Sunroof!! Black interiors get a big plus from me! Too fast (not a good thing here)! I didn't feel the bumps and stuff much so its good. Liked the tinted glass. Better than Vento- I hate beige interiors! The AC is too powerful for comfort!"

Verdict:

Its not always that you end up in love but here I am, head over heels in love with the Cruze. I'm willing to ignore her few downsides for the smile and satisfaction she brings to my heart (Cheesy.. I know!). A fine blend of hair raising performance, stunning looks, comfort, handling, low running cost(cuz its a diesel) and practicality.

Heart aside, let's talk with the head a bit.
Contrary to the info I've had so far, the LTZ manual version of the Cruze in the Diamond White color will cost 1800500 INR and other shades will come up to 1788714 INR sans any accessories in Kerala. We were expecting the Cruze to be under 17 lakhs but I guess taxes have gone up. Though the price hasn't gone of our budget too far, it has gotten dangerously close to Jetta territory for comfort. Sure the Jetta is considered the segment- leader by many but a hefty price tag of over 21 lakhs is frankly too much to ask for considering what's on offer compared to the competition. Why spend that much just for brand value and the "German" tag?
On the accessories front the SP informed me that the illuminated scuff plates on the Cruze would cost me a whooping 7.5K! I mean for what!?? You only get the illuminated ones on the front. The ones at the rear will be having only the brushed aluminum finish- that is, no lights. Is there any way to do this outside without affecting warranty?
One good thing he told me was the Chevrolet will take of the existing centre- console display and fit it with a CASKA infotainment unit as an accessory. It will have three modes: GPS, Reverse Parking Camera display and the usual car- information and settings display like the factory unit. I feel this is a must have. Didn't inquire about its price though.

I seriously hope this is the car we buy. Obviously everyone is impressed by it and has no real complaints to talk about. Only thing getting in the way is the cost of maintaining her in the long run.
From a driver's point of view I couldn't care less about soft- touch plastics or seats that split- fold. But when paying a premium for a higher segment car one certainly does expect a few "extras". The Cruze does offer dollops of those "extras" in terms of driving pleasure, dynamics and overall comfort but falls a bit short when it comes to the right materials on the inside. Overall, I find the Cruze to be good VFM compared to its competitors and it's definitely a superior choice to the cars a segment lower (I had a doubt regarding this before the TD but now it's all clear!)

Special mention to the folks at GM Calicut. They were kind enough to bring in a well maintained, brand new TD vehicle for us to experience, that too from two districts away! The SP was courteous and gave us some good tips on the car's behavior prior to the TD and also when asked. Most importantly he kept mum when we drove, allowing us to form the opinion ourselves (Hello VW guys! You guys have a way of thinking for customers don't you?). He also didn't blurt out any exaggerated praises about the car like the VW guys. I mean having pride in their products is one thing but why use it as a desperate selling tactic? The quality of the whole TD was very very good and kudos for their effort in maintaining the same!

DAD??? When are we going to book the Cruze? I'm so excited!... Dad?...
Vivek Jayan is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2012, 18:26   #215

Quote:
Originally Posted by kailashnj View Post
Hi Highwalker,

Hi Kailashnj,

I will only be able to give you figures after I take delivery on 23rd!

I am guessing that with my daily travel from Thane to BKC, I should average around 8~9 initially, perhaps slightly better as the time goes by. Hope that helps.
highwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2012, 12:07   #216
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivek Jayan View Post
Hey everyone,
Regarding the hunt for the "perfect" long- term highway machine for my family, I ended up taking my mom and dad to the nearby Chevrolet showroom to test drive the new Cruze. So here's my report on the overall experience:
Congrats Vivek on honing down to the Cruze as your most prospective next car. Hope that your dad will get convinced and you will also get to enjoy it as much as we other owners do

I must confess that your TD report was one of the best that I read in recent times. It was comprehensive, spot-on, passionate and crazily smitten just like me ( when i took the TD before buying)

Hope to see your ownership report on the forum considering you have a flair for writing.

Goodluck !!!
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2012, 13:12   #217
BHPian

Quote:
Special Note: This is by far the ONLY car I've driven which intimidated Kerala pedestrians so much that they literally jumped out of the road as they saw us approaching from a distance. Even traffic ahead gave way without any hesitation! I guess the aggressive front is having its effect on humans (I'm so in love!!)

You bet!!Upgrade your headlights to 100/80 Osram with relays and things will get even better!!

To drive her slow in city traffic is a bit of a handful if I'm honest. The engine and tranny hate slow speeds. Though they'll get the job done without much fuss, it's not until you get moving that the motor relaxes (It's as if it gives a sigh of relief after the 2nd gear). Bumper to bumper situations will have you shifting from 1st to 2nd constantly. I was told by the SP that the motor will stall if I try to "roll" from near stand- still situations on 2nd. So I was constantly changing gears in fear of stalling right in the middle of city traffic. That's by far the only downside I found with the sweet motor (sure we need a full on highway machine but you can't ignore the inevitable high- noon traffic even on highways. Welcome to Kerala!)

Its just a matter of getting used to!!You will get hang of the car in no time trust me.I drive the pre-facelifted version and I got used to it in no time!!

Will it be really expensive to maintain than the C segment cars? Nicely made vehicle which speaks for itself."

General feedback on the forum is that the Vento scheduled service costs are higher than the Cruze

Better than Vento- I hate beige interiors!
The slightest speck of dust is very visible with black interiors.

One good thing he told me was the Chevrolet will take of the existing centre- console display and fit it with a CASKA infotainment unit as an accessory. It will have three modes: GPS, Reverse Parking Camera display and the usual car- information and settings display like the factory unit. I feel this is a must have. Didn't inquire about its price though.

Please don't go for the Caska.The Cruze has a decent music system. The Caska units aren't known for their Music quality.For GPS you have Google Maps(on Android phones) and you don't need a reverse camera.The reverse sensors on the car are brilliant.They are more than adequate along the RVMs.Plus reverse cameras are useless during monsoons when the camera is covered with muck from the road.
Replies in bold.

Humble suggestion,please don't change anything other than the stock headlights and tyres.Enjoy the stock set up for a while.Two or three years down the line when you feel the need for a change,go for a good set of alloys,upgrade the speakers and HU(no CASKA please) and get a tuning box.

Get the insurance done on your own.Should save you a good chunk of money.

Cheers!!

Last edited by KINI : 19th October 2012 at 13:14.
KINI is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2012, 14:03   #218
BHPian

Quote:
Its not always that you end up in love but here I am, head over heels in love with the Cruze.
Excellent TD report . I was also in similar situation after Cruze TD, I was so desperate to get my cruze that I raised hell because of delay in delivery for couple of days. Keep your cool after booking .
pach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2012, 16:44   #219
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Congrats Vivek on honing down to the Cruze as your most prospective next car. Hope that your dad will get convinced and you will also get to enjoy it as much as we other owners do

I must confess that your TD report was one of the best that I read in recent times. It was comprehensive, spot-on, passionate and crazily smitten just like me ( when i took the TD before buying)

Hope to see your ownership report on the forum considering you have a flair for writing.

Goodluck !!!
Thank you so much! Yes I'm definitely smitten by her!! Waiting for a thumbs up from my dad and elder brother... Its so frustrating when all your thoughts finally end up behind the steering wheel of the Cruze! Seriously hope this is the one...
Quote:
Originally Posted by pach View Post
Excellent TD report . I was also in similar situation after Cruze TD, I was so desperate to get my cruze that I raised hell because of delay in delivery for couple of days. Keep your cool after booking .
Thank you!
Haha! May I please know how long did it take for delivery from the date of booking? The SP guy told me the car will get delivered in a month's time!! Feels kind of too good to be true...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINI View Post
Replies in bold.

Humble suggestion,please don't change anything other than the stock headlights and tyres.Enjoy the stock set up for a while.Two or three years down the line when you feel the need for a change,go for a good set of alloys,upgrade the speakers and HU(no CASKA please) and get a tuning box.

Cheers!!
Thank you so much for your valuable suggestions. I have some doubts:
Will changing the headlights affect the warranty? Won't the reverse cam be helpful since the Cruze is kinda big?What other HU would you suggest? I'm new to this ICE and HU thingy so I have no clue!
Vivek Jayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2012, 16:59   #220
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Haha! May I please know how long did it take for delivery from the date of booking? The SP guy told me the car will get delivered in a month's time!! Feels kind of too good to be true...
Actually, one month is quite a bit of wait. 7days-15 days seems more like a reasonable timeframe for delivery. Which is the color you plan to buy?

Quote:
I have some doubts:
Will changing the headlights affect the warranty? Won't the reverse cam be helpful since the Cruze is kinda big?What other HU would you suggest? I'm new to this ICE and HU thingy so I have no clue!
IMO, the stock headlights of Cruze is quite fine. You just need to adjust the light throw to get the best out of it.

I drive with 3 (nearest throw) setting when i am in city and turn it up to 0 (farthest throw) when iam driving on highways.

I recommend you experience it for a few weeks and decide for yourself.
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2012, 17:22   #221
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Actually, one month is quite a bit of wait. 7days-15 days seems more like a reasonable timeframe for delivery. Which is the color you plan to buy?

IMO, the stock headlights of Cruze is quite fine. You just need to adjust the light throw to get the best out of it.

I drive with 3 (nearest throw) setting when i am in city and turn it up to 0 (farthest throw) when iam driving on highways.

I recommend you experience it for a few weeks and decide for yourself.
You're fanning the flames here sir, asking about colors as if we're going to book it tomorrow!!(*crying*). Anyways since I'm all positive about the Cruze right now, I think the color will most likely be the Switchblade Silver or Sand Drift Grey! ("DAD!! We're already deciding colors here!!"). I was thinking one month was too early. Maybe I compared the delivery time with that of the XUV's: 6 months!!. Still 7- 15 days is even better!!

*ba dum tss!* And THAT concludes my 25th post!!
Old 19th October 2012, 17:26   #222
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivek Jayan
The SP guy told me the car will get delivered in a month's time!! Feels kind of too good to be true...

Thank you so much for your valuable suggestions. I have some doubts:
One month is way too long.I see no reason why it should take them that long.Cruze is neither a mass market car nor does it face any production issues.The SA is just painting an illusion of demand to use as a ploy for negotiations.

Technically GM can deny warranty even for the slightest modifications.But then most service centres are reasonable.As long as you don't cut any wires you should be fine.I suggest you build a relationship with your Service Advisor,get his go ahead before you upgrade.In my case I am on good terms with the workshop manager and I had a word with him before I upgraded mine.

Regarding HU I am a complete noob.All I know is music clarity wise Caska/Motera aren't great.Suggest you post the query in the appropriate section.I would humbly request you to first evaluate if u need to change the ICE.

Last edited by KINI : 19th October 2012 at 17:28.
KINI is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2012, 19:04   #223
BHPian

Quote:
Well, the Cruze does have a low NCAP rating for pedestrian safety(34%). Do some groundwork on A.S.S. by checking with existing customers of the dealer. If any consistent negative issue is known, raise it with GM beforehand so that they ensure same does not happen to you. Good write up, worthy of your own ownership thread.

EDIT:
As an LTZ MT user of over 2 years in 95% city traffic, I recommend booking the new LTZ AT. Basically in my opinion: New LTZ AT > Old LTZ MT > Old LTZ AT > New LTZ MT (read '>' as better than).

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINI View Post
Replies in bold.

Cheers!!

Tires: I changed to Continental CPC2s immediately after taking delivery which are silicos and have wet > dry behavior.
Accessories: I have a diamond white. You could say we bought the car for the looks and the color. I added(copy pasted from my ownership report that is in WIP):
Chrome Body Side Molding (-Great on Diamond White-)
2x Headrest Screens to keep Mom occupied instead of her watching the road anxiously all the time...
Perfume
Splash Guard Set
Premium carpet mats
3M CR70 Films (Not recommended now)
Philips 100/90 Effective Clear Vision Bulbs with Roots relay kit (-must have-)
Custom dead pedal (-New Cruze has it!-)
Custom front passenger right armrest

MODS: Please merge my posts. Than you.

Last edited by mobike008 : 19th October 2012 at 20:36. Reason: Merging posts
SedatedDrive is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2012, 21:25   #224
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SedatedDrive View Post
Well, the Cruze does have a low NCAP rating for pedestrian safety(34%). Do some groundwork on A.S.S. by checking with existing customers of the dealer. If any consistent negative issue is known, raise it with GM beforehand so that they ensure same does not happen to you. Good write up, worthy of your own ownership thread.

EDIT:
As an LTZ MT user of over 2 years in 95% city traffic, I recommend booking the new LTZ AT. Basically in my opinion: New LTZ AT > Old LTZ MT > Old LTZ AT > New LTZ MT (read '>' as better than).
Thank you With all due respect, I guess we'll be sticking to manual only cuz our primary use will be on the highways. City drives will be very less on the Cruze as we have an i20 for city drives. Plus we enjoy the stick shift or rather the "complete control" over the sweet motor. Hope you know what I mean
Old 24th October 2012, 02:15   #225

Thumbs up Re: 2012 Chevrolet Cruze : Official Review

I got my delivery of my White Steed today - the Cruze LTZ AT. Sweet car, and as KINI put it, the 2012 AT is way balanced car. I took delivery in Worli, drove to Thane in almost peak hour in Mumbai.

So my impressions,
1. With the almost linear torque curve, the AT let me be in ease with the traffic, trundling along, tailing the car ahead comfortably in <1500 rpm's.
2. Open roads, and bit of a heavy foot (Its running in, am not pushing the car), its sweet to get thrown back to your seat and feel the rush as it stabilizes to a breakneck, all while holding at <2000 (slightly above before auto changes).
3. The car has a character, I was worried, the ricks and the mavericks would nick my car before I got it into my garage. Hello! Most of the time the horn and the simple presence of the car makes people look to the car and say "your way please"! And I was driving timid here, mind you!

Drove straight to our good old friend Mark Premji's Tyreplus in Thane and exchanged my JK no gooder's to Michelin Primacy LC 215/60/R16 (no size change, just profile change). Mark gave me an excellent deal - 6000/- for exchange (131 on clock) and 3.3k for the primacy, he offered 2.4k for Yoko's but I have better experience on the Michelins, so stuck with the Michelins.

Got home, with the Puja and all, welcomed the White Steed® home. Got my friend who's got a NHC Auto to test it out, he was pleasantly surprised when it threw him back to the seat and said, "Respect, the near 400 horses, I command!".

Also, a thorough gleaning of the owner's manual for run-in instructions lended me a paltry summary - "Ensure no heavy loading of engine, sudden acceleration and prolonged high-speed to avoid damage to engine. All, for the first few hundred kilometers" - Ref:Page 92 - New vehicle running-in. That's surprising confidence of a manufacturer for a car of this caliber. However, I am going to keep the car sedate for a few thousand.
And, then let it rip my soul with the peace I seek with the growling power underneath the skin of the White Steed®! Patience they say, is a virtue, exercising that is going to be a real uphill task for me till I clock atleast a 1000 or 1500.

The suspension is very well tuned, tight, soaks up the nity gritty with ease, but the seats are a tad hard, nevertheless elucidating great comfort.

Next upgrades planned: HID lights, and few months down, the Merc tail.

I will give a full feedback on each of the ownership areas, once I take this car on a full roll in the coming days.

Till then, already in love with my White Steed®!!
highwalker is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote