Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 23rd October 2014, 15:24   #241
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Nissan Evalia : Official Review

Looks more like a vacuum cleaner now. Shame as it is not a bad drive but the van to car metamorphosis was not well executed
ajmat is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2014, 15:37   #242
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Looks more like a vacuum cleaner now.
Was thinking road-sweeper, but you do have a point - it does look like some of the anonymous chinese vacuum cleaners in the market today.

Perhaps they borrowed the Mahindra 'design' team for this exercise.
Steeroid is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2014, 16:43   #243
Distinguished - BHPian

I found the looks acceptable even earlier.

What I find surprising is their continued premium pricing, within striking distance of Innova. That's not getting them any customers.

There's only one reason Enjoy is selling in numbers (as Tavera did) - price!

Evalia's pricing is a case study in how to kill demand! This has been one big dud!
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2014, 20:55   #244
RSR
Distinguished - BHPian

I can see a few more Nissan Evalias (which were a rarity earlier) on the road these days, or so I thought - because on getting closer, they (generally) turn out to be Ashok Leyland Stiles with yellow plates. Also, one large cab company (NTL?) has added a few Stiles to its fleet in Chennai.

I guess it's time for Nissan to admit that the Evalia has turned out to be a sales flop, and move on. Facelifts and nose jobs aren't doing anything to lift sales. Private buyers seem to be staying well away from the Evalia.

If they want to salvage something out of their investment, the best way to do it is to act solely as a contract manufacturer for Ashok Leyland. Fleet operators seem to be warming up gradually to the vehicle's appeal as a less expensive, but more fuel efficient and almost equally reliable alternative to the Toyota Innova. Nissan should work with Ashok Leyland to make continuous improvements to the Stile and bring out the Stile in many more variants - a Stile ambulance, for instance, would be almost perfect for India. The very few private Evalia buyers can also be covered by offering the Stile in higher variants with ABS, airbags & more comfort features, plus allowing servicing of the Stile by Nissan dealerships/service centres.

It should be clear to Nissan by now that the Evalia's future sales prospects are quite dim among private buyers. It's got to do with the boxy styling more than anything else. The Evalia is quite a capable car/van/MPV that has been let down by its design.

So it's best for Nissan to recover (and eventually make profits on) their investment by manufacturing Ashok Leyland's version of the vehicle in large numbers and supporting it through their network. The Evalia/NV200 platform's massive worldwide appeal is also mainly as a cab/taxi/panel van/commercial vehicle, rather than a family MPV.

Nissan themselves should concentrate hard on their car business in India which is faltering at the moment. Only the Terrano is selling as per expectations, but then it is more of a Renault (or a Dacia) than a Nissan. None of Nissan's V platform cars (Micra/Pulse, Sunny/Scala & Go) are sales successes, despite all of them being very capable cars in segments that witness huge sales month after month.

The Micra CVT is easily the least stressful and one of the best cars for Indian cities. And that versatile & efficient Renault K9K diesel engine is ideally suited for India. Despite having such potent weapons in their arsenal, if neither Nissan nor Datsun nor Renault have been able to make successes out of them, then they only have themselves to blame!

Last edited by RSR : 23rd October 2014 at 21:22.
RSR is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2016, 07:01   #245
BHPian

I ride Evalia to work everyday. The rear suspension being leaf is bad. Innova's suspension can take up a surprise shock very well but not this. Its not bouncy but it doesn't take up shocks well.
Blue_V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2016, 13:56   #246

Question Nissan Evalia status and availability

I am thinking to buy an used Nissan Evalia.
I am being told by Nissan deals in Coimbatore that it has been discontinued around 1 year back it self.

How i am supposed to get the support for the car for maintenance ?
Would the authorized Nissan service center do the servicing for a discontinued vehicle?

Mod Note: Merged with existing official review thread. Please do not start new threads for a one-off query such as this.

Last edited by noopster : 21st June 2016 at 14:13. Reason: Refer mod note inline
raddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2016, 20:43   #247
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Nissan Evalia status and availability

Quote:
Originally Posted by raddy View Post
Would the authorized Nissan service center do the servicing for a discontinued vehicle?

Mod Note: Merged with existing official review thread. Please do not start new threads for a one-off query such as this.
Nissan will support it. The engine and gearbox are common with the Sunny, Logan, Duster, Terrano etc. You might have issues if you have an accident but am sure there must be a lot of stock parts in the factory

Last edited by ajmat : 27th June 2016 at 13:51.
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2016, 16:09   #248
BHPian

Default Re: Nissan Evalia status and availability

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_V View Post
I ride Evalia to work everyday. The rear suspension being leaf is bad. Innova's suspension can take up a surprise shock very well but not this. Its not bouncy but it doesn't take up shocks well.
That's because Evalia comes with Leafs on rear wheels. Innova's coil springs delivers much comfortable ride quality. When it comes to do little bit of loading leafs are better choice. I think Innova is a better people carrier whereas Evalia is better MUV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raddy View Post
I am thinking to buy an used Nissan Evalia.
I am being told by Nissan deals in Coimbatore that it has been discontinued around 1 year back it self.

This is a tricky situation which is hard to answer. I do own pre-worshiped Evalia. I had to replace few parts like tail lights & mirrors. It was tough to get it from open market. To my surprise they were readily available in authorized workshop. I agree with Ajmat that engine is shared between so many models which is a positive point. Parts which are exclusive to evalia will be issue in future.

I understood from sales figures that there are 2200+ Evalia present on road today. It means Chennai factory must be having sizable stocks of parts which were initially meant to be used for production.

Last edited by zalaps : 29th July 2016 at 16:11. Reason: grammar!
zalaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2017, 05:44   #249
BHPian

Default Pre-owned Evalia as a motorcycle transport van

We are looking for a vehicle that would help my brother to transport his motorcycle(s) and gear to the track and back. After considering all options including trailers, portable pallets, used pick-up trucks and other UVs, we have narrowed down our choice to probably getting a used Evalia. Removing the second/third row seats should create the space needed.

Since a usual trip to and fro from the track for events will involve 1700km+ driving, pick-up trucks except for an Isuzu D-Max Space-cab were all bad choices. Used D-Maxes are rare to start with, and there would be limited lockable space. Eeco felt to be underpowered, cramped and very utilitarian. I was surprised to know that Evalia had ABS std on all variants, and airbags were missing only on the very base variant. The used car prices of Evalia are also quite VFM. The loading height is of significant advantage when you are transporting heavy bikes on your own and Evalia scores there too (better than any UV). Removing the seats also exposes multiple tie-down points. It has an engine that is reliable, quite tractable, frugal (unlike other options we had) and with decent performance.

Hope to find a well maintained example that fits our budget. The car has lot of potential as an affordable transport van / camper vehicle.
avinash_clt is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2017, 09:09   #250
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The car has lot of potential as an affordable transport van
Yes, I believe it is sold as a transport van in many countries. We own one and use it for transportation of some heavy stuff. Trouble is costs of Spares and availability. You will be dependent on most of the stuff with Dealership. Parts are not available in local market and Nissan has priced spares very high. We must have spent over 3 Lac in servicing/repairs and the car has done less than 70000 Km.

Better buy Isuzu pickup, new commercial ones are competitively priced.
Turbanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2017, 00:08   #251
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Yes, I believe it is sold as a transport van in many countries.
Yes sold as the NV200 abroad.
Quote:
We own one and use it for transportation of some heavy stuff. Trouble is costs of Spares and availability. You will be dependent on most of the stuff with Dealership. Parts are not available in local market and Nissan has priced spares very high. We must have spent over 3 Lac in servicing/repairs and the car has done less than 70000 Km.

Better buy Isuzu pickup, new commercial ones are competitively priced.
That is way too costly and putting big germans to shame. Could you please elaborate what these major expenses were? I was expecting the vehicle to be decently reliable and thereby to manage only periodic fluid / filter / consumable services. Transporting motorcycles and gear would be odd 250-270 kg, which is equivalent to four adults, not particularly a heavy payload. And as such two rows of seats will be removed from the vehicle also.

The problem with the current Isuzu pick-ups is the space-cab is now four door and and has reduced payload area, and also with a underpowered engine (good for hauling loads, not so much for highways cruises unlike V-cross or previous gen DMax). The two door variant has a higher, inconvenient loading height (loading the bikes on your own is tricky), plus the problems in registering as a private vehicle. Would have preferred a pre-owned previous gen two door D-max spaace cab, but they are very rare. And pick-up trucks brings in the next limitation of lack of covered and lesser lockable area.

The vehicle will be driven mostly by my brother himself. I deemed Eeco to be an unsafe car and the Evalia is better on paper. It is frugal and a simple remap could solve under-powered issues, and should be a better car to spend longer driving hours.
avinash_clt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2017, 09:07   #252
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Could you please elaborate what these major expenses were?
I will have to get this checked in records as it's company owned but whenever it goes to service bill is about 10000 or more. I can remember - clutch change, front suspension including shockers and arms, brake pads & rotors ( multiple time)

Have a look at some of past bills/ estimates I could find with me, hope it helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Nissan Evalia : Official Review-screen-shot-20170319-9.01.43-am.png  

Nissan Evalia : Official Review-screen-shot-20170319-9.01.54-am.png  

Nissan Evalia : Official Review-screen-shot-20170319-9.02.28-am.png  

Nissan Evalia : Official Review-screen-shot-20170319-9.03.28-am.png  

Last edited by Turbanator : 19th March 2017 at 09:17.
Turbanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2017, 10:12   #253
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avinash_clt View Post
We are looking for a vehicle that would help my brother to transport his motorcycle(s) and gear to the track and back.
Quote:
Trouble is costs of Spares and availability. You will be dependent on most of the stuff with Dealership. Parts are not available in local market and Nissan has priced spares very high.
Will buying the now discontinued Ashok Leyland Stile from the used marked help? Its a rebadged Evalia after all.
deetjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2017, 07:01   #254
BHPian

Quote:
Have a look at some of past bills/ estimates I could find with me, hope it helps.
Thank you for posting the service bills. While some of the fluids and filters are reasonably priced, cost of something basic like brake pad @ Rs 6k and brake disc at Rs 5.6k are too pricey. Those are small discs/pads on the Evalia and the price is similar to that of ones in Laura. Also the air filter assembly at Rs 2.5k on one occasion is quite expensive (while in the other bill it costs Rs.400).

But the labour charges in the name of Injector/EGR/engine fushing/lubrication etc are pure rip off by the ASC and can be avoided by being vigilant. It also raises doubts on other part recommendations by the same ASC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Will buying the now discontinued Ashok Leyland Stile from the used marked help? Its a rebadged Evalia after all.
I didn't consider the Stile due to lack of ABS/airbags, cost cutting compared to Evalia, engine with lesser punch, deleted creature comforts, and the LCV commercial service one has to live with. It is not just a re-badge unlike the Terrano/Duster, Micra/Pulse twins. Also, at least in KL, it is easier to find used examples of Evalia than the Leyland Stile.
avinash_clt is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote