Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2013, 14:37   #181
Team-BHP Support
 
Akshay1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 9,387
Thanked: 5,239 Times
Default Re: BMW 320d & 328i : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maky View Post
I see, So nothing too serious that would make one unconfident cornering at high speeds then.
Not at all. In fact I did push the car a fair bit as Moral and GTO and rudra would recollect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebeem View Post
Honestly, this may sound stupid, but during the test drive, I hardly felt any difference in the throttle response and gear shifts also between the driving modes. There's noticeable difference in the softness of the ride quality between sport and comfort. But I think it takes a few days of driving before a person can really see the difference.

Technically. Don't know how BMW have managed this.
I agree a normal test drive isn't enough to notice many things. But I did go on a 400km odd test drive of the 328i and the 320d with the tbhp blokes and I think that was enough to figure the car out. The steering weighs up, the throttle response changes, so do the gear shifts, but I really couldn't feel any difference in the suspension. I mean in sport mode on the expressway the 328i's rear suspension was bobbing up and down at 140kmph.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 7th May 2013 at 14:39.
Akshay1234 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2013, 15:06   #182
BHPian
 
Maky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 715
Thanked: 288 Times
Default Re: BMW 320d & 328i : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebeem View Post
Actually one of the deterrents may have been the fact that in many markets its perceived as a woman's car. Not being sexist or anything, but that seems to be deterring a lot of buyers (including a friend) to not buy the evoque. It was awarded the woman's car of the year last year. Then there was an Evoque "Victoria Beckham edition" which was launched.


Another Deterrant could be the price. It costs significantly more than the 3 series. Especially in India the OTR price of an evoque crosses 60 lacs vs. 35-36 lacs for the Beemers.

Just my opinion.
I agree with Bluebeemer. I find the Evoque to be a bit feminine. There is a man in my building who has purchased this very car. He's known to drive big butch SUV cars such as his Q7. I think he bought this because its the cheapest entry into the Land Rover club rather than owning it out of choice.
The fact it has a 4 cylinder engine and is offered in 2WD with a Land Rover Badge doesn't help. Or am I being a bit too insecure and motorheady : P
Maky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2013, 16:30   #183
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Sahil's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 5,036
Thanked: 1,651 Times
Default Re: BMW 320d & 328i : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
but I really couldn't feel any difference in the suspension. I mean in sport mode on the expressway the 328i's rear suspension was bobbing up and down at 140kmph.
Suspension will not change unless the car has adjustable dampers/air suspension. The 3 and 5 both do not have air suspension.
Sahil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2013, 11:05   #184
BHPian
 
Bluebeem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Ludhiana
Posts: 357
Thanked: 211 Times
Default

Looking for a tuning kit for the F30 320d. Preferably something that doesn't kill the warranty.

Please help !
Bluebeem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2013, 22:55   #185
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Jaipur
Posts: 55
Thanked: 16 Times
Default Re: BMW 320d & 328i : Official Review

Hey Guys.
Can you help me decide of the age old decision question. 320d f30 Sports or Outgoing 520d F10 with discounts or Audi A6 ?

The dealer says the 320d will cost around 40L OTR. 520d will cost 45.50L OTR and Audi A6 45L OTR. Bargaining has not been done yet. Which is a better buy. ? In terms of VFM ?
deepjaju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2013, 23:23   #186
BHPian
 
Bluebeem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Ludhiana
Posts: 357
Thanked: 211 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepjaju View Post
Hey Guys.
Can you help me decide of the age old decision question. 320d f30 Sports or Outgoing 520d F10 with discounts or Audi A6 ?

The dealer says the 320d will cost around 40L OTR. 520d will cost 45.50L OTR and Audi A6 45L OTR. Bargaining has not been done yet. Which is a better buy. ? In terms of VFM ?
Depends what you are looking for.

In terms of pure VFM the Audi A6 is far ahead of the 520d and 320d
- it gets rear climate control along with foot blowers for the rear passengers
- airomatic adjustable suspension
- many other little cosmetic stuff like larger display screen in the speedo.
- Full size spare tire - cant ignore that !


The choice remains between 320d and A6. The 520d remains a mixed bag and its going to be replaced early 2014. And it's not as comfortable as the new 320d or A6

The only problem with the A6 is that it comes with a not so powerful engine and not so exciting drive thanks to the CVT. if you're fine with those, the A6 is a no brainer .

Mind you this is coming from someone who just bought a 320d .
Bluebeem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2013, 00:10   #187
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Gurgapn
Posts: 33
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepjaju View Post
Hey Guys.
Can you help me decide of the age old decision question. 320d f30 Sports or Outgoing 520d F10 with discounts or Audi A6 ?

The dealer says the 320d will cost around 40L OTR. 520d will cost 45.50L OTR and Audi A6 45L OTR. Bargaining has not been done yet. Which is a better buy. ? In terms of VFM ?
My uncle just bought a 520d. They're offering 2012 models at 38 lacs only. 2013 models will cost you 4 lacs more. I suggest you settle with the 2012 model. Not many changes.
Chirag911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2013, 00:28   #188
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Jaipur
Posts: 55
Thanked: 16 Times
Default Re: BMW 320d & 328i : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebeem View Post
Depends what you are looking for.

In terms of pure VFM the Audi A6 is far ahead of the 520d and 320d
- it gets rear climate control along with foot blowers for the rear passengers
- airomatic adjustable suspension
- many other little cosmetic stuff like larger display screen in the speedo.
- Full size spare tire - cant ignore that !


The choice remains between 320d and A6. The 520d remains a mixed bag and its going to be replaced early 2014. And it's not as comfortable as the new 320d or A6

The only problem with the A6 is that it comes with a not so powerful engine and not so exciting drive thanks to the CVT. if you're fine with those, the A6 is a no brainer .

Mind you this is coming from someone who just bought a 320d .
Honestly I was more bent towards BMW cause of their performance and rear wheel drive. The Audi 2.0L engines feels like a rip off considering the same engines are in other VW cars. Also the pickup and throttle response was no way near the 320d f30 which I drove the other day.

Now the question is new 320d sports line or outgoing 520d? The difference between the two is 4.5 Lacs.
deepjaju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2013, 07:36   #189
BHPian
 
Bluebeem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Ludhiana
Posts: 357
Thanked: 211 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepjaju View Post

Honestly I was more bent towards BMW cause of their performance and rear wheel drive. The Audi 2.0L engines feels like a rip off considering the same engines are in other VW cars. Also the pickup and throttle response was no way near the 320d f30 which I drove the other day.

Now the question is new 320d sports line or outgoing 520d? The difference between the two is 4.5 Lacs.
Wow Finally ! Most people go for the badge and the luxury rather than the drive.

Anyway. I pretty much had the same dilemma and eliminated A6 for the exact same reason. I ended up with 320d. Here's why.
- Sharper drive. The throttle response and handling is absolutely amazing. 520d was not exciting enough to drive
- many features above 520d e.g, Bluetooth music streaming, Eco pro mode driving, better interiors, softer seats and suspension. More spacious.
- 3 series won't be outdated for at least 5-6 years. So your resale value remains high.

It's a very difficult decision. And I know snob value matters a lot to most . All the best.
Bluebeem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2013, 07:47   #190
Team-BHP Support
 
Akshay1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 9,387
Thanked: 5,239 Times
Default Re: BMW 320d & 328i : Official Review

Bluebeem who are we kidding? The 5 certainly has more space than the 3 and if you feel otherwise it's because the 5s rear seat is much longer offering far better under thigh support, so it may seem the 3 has more legroom. Let's not even compare the front in terms of size or comfort.

Also the 520d has Bluetooth streaming and Eco pro.

Also the 5 series facelift will look very similar and will bring in the new touch idrive, otherwise as far as I knw the mechanicals will be untouched.
Akshay1234 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2013, 08:41   #191
BHPian
 
Bluebeem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Ludhiana
Posts: 357
Thanked: 211 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Bluebeem who are we kidding? The 5 certainly has more space than the 3 and if you feel otherwise it's because the 5s rear seat is much longer offering far better under thigh support, so it may seem the 3 has more legroom. Let's not even compare the front in terms of size or comfort.
I beg to differ here. I actually did some very thorough first hand research on this as backseat comfort and space was a priority for me. While the front seats of the 5er are way more comfortable than the 3, they're extremely bulky and fat leaving very little space for the backbenchers.
I did the following test. Keep both cars (3&5) next to each other. Sit in the front passenger seat and bring it to a comfortable position (I'm 5ft 11). Go and sit in the back seat. First of all visually, you will see the distance between the back seat and front is bigger in the 3. The backseat under thigh support is almost same in 5 (maybe a couple of mm better, hardly noticeable for average backseater) but what use is it if your knees end up crashing against the front seat. I'd rather sacrifice a little bit of under thigh support and have some kneeroom instead so that I can at least move and easily get in and out. Also noticed that the 5's backseat is noticeably harder. In addition to this, the harder suspension on the 5 makes it more uncomfortable than it actually is.

I did this test over 4-5 times as I could not believe how the 5 ended up being less spacious than the 3. I thought I was doing something wrong. Do try this and give me your POV.

I tested a march 2012 registered 520d. It had only the comfort and sport driving modes. It also had no music streaming over bluetooth. Just phone connectivity for calling. I believe both these functions were added to some later models but there is no cut off date. Mr. Deepjaju will have to go check what car he's being offered.

One thing that's absolutely necessary but missing in 320d is lumbar support. I would've really liked that

Last edited by Bluebeem : 16th May 2013 at 09:08.
Bluebeem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2013, 08:51   #192
BHPian
 
agambhandari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Delhi,Ludhiana
Posts: 768
Thanked: 399 Times
Default Re: BMW 320d & 328i : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maky View Post
\
The fact it has a 4 cylinder engine and is offered in 2WD with a Land Rover Badge doesn't help. Or am I being a bit too insecure and motorheady : P
The Evoque is offered with 4WD on all its variants in India.
agambhandari is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2013, 10:14   #193
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Jaipur
Posts: 55
Thanked: 16 Times
Default Re: BMW 320d & 328i : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebeem View Post
I beg to differ here. I actually did some very thorough first hand research on this as backseat comfort and space was a priority for me. While the front seats of the 5er are way more comfortable than the 3, they're extremely bulky and fat leaving very little space for the backbenchers.
I did the following test. Keep both cars (3&5) next to each other. Sit in the front passenger seat and bring it to a comfortable position (I'm 5ft 11). Go and sit in the back seat. First of all visually, you will see the distance between the back seat and front is bigger in the 3. The backseat under thigh support is almost same in 5 (maybe a couple of mm better, hardly noticeable for average backseater) but what use is it if your knees end up crashing against the front seat. I'd rather sacrifice a little bit of under thigh support and have some kneeroom instead so that I can at least move and easily get in and out. Also noticed that the 5's backseat is noticeably harder. In addition to this, the harder suspension on the 5 makes it more uncomfortable than it actually is.

I did this test over 4-5 times as I could not believe how the 5 ended up being less spacious than the 3. I thought I was doing something wrong. Do try this and give me your POV.

I tested a march 2012 registered 520d. It had only the comfort and sport driving modes. It also had no music streaming over bluetooth. Just phone connectivity for calling. I believe both these functions were added to some later models but there is no cut off date. Mr. Deepjaju will have to go check what car he's being offered.

One thing that's absolutely necessary but missing in 320d is lumbar support. I would've really liked that.
Actually Lumbar support is present in the Sports line. Also I noticed the front seats of the luxury line is deep inside the car while the sports cause of its thick leather I suppose is noticebly higher in position.
deepjaju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2013, 12:43   #194
BHPian
 
Bluebeem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Ludhiana
Posts: 357
Thanked: 211 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepjaju View Post

Actually Lumbar support is present in the Sports line. Also I noticed the front seats of the luxury line is deep inside the car while the sports cause of its thick leather I suppose is noticebly higher in position.
Not sure if you can call that lumbar support. It's more like a sport body grip for the sports seats, I guess to ensure that the driver stays stable at very high speeds. It doesn't really support the back. At least not in the traditional way.

Lumbar support provides lower and upper back support so that it doesn't ache on long drives. Try and compare the lumbar of the 5 series. You'll know what I mean.

Anyway. Other than that too I really really wanted the sports line but the black interior was too boring in a single tone for me and just didn't feel premium enough. And the red interior was just too red for me. Since this is my first german i wanted it too feel very premium on the inside. Believe me I tried so hard to convince BMW to give me saddle brown in sports line. But all in vain. :P
Bluebeem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2013, 20:27   #195
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Cochin, B'lore
Posts: 124
Thanked: 101 Times
Default Re: BMW 320d & 328i : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepjaju View Post
Hey Guys.
Can you help me decide of the age old decision question. 320d f30 Sports or Outgoing 520d F10 with discounts or Audi A6 ?

The dealer says the 320d will cost around 40L OTR. 520d will cost 45.50L OTR and Audi A6 45L OTR. Bargaining has not been done yet. Which is a better buy. ? In terms of VFM ?
Having been in the same situation a few months ago, I can say this: if you are looking for a sporty, fun to drive car, book for yourself the 320d. The 520d should come into the picture only if you find the 3 series lacking space on the inside, IMO. And let me add, even though the 5 isn't as much fun to drive as the 3, it sure isn't a disappointment.

Mind you, a million people can give you can give you a million opinions regarding how they find the two bimmers. Ultimately, it all boils down to how you find the car. Also, I've mentioned all the differences between the 2 cars and why I went for the 520d in my thread : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...-bmw-520d.html (The Story of Freude - My Alpineweiss BMW 520d)

Hope it helps
Cheers!
275BHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The ULTIMAT3 - F30 BMW 328i. EDIT: Upgraded with ///M Exhaust & Injen Intake! karan561 Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 468 5th December 2016 20:44
BMW 325i,320d or 523i??? EDIT Bought 320D Highline morphin1 Luxury, Imports & Niche 67 13th April 2015 13:57
First Impressions: BMW 328i (F30) from Gothenburg, Sweden anekho Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 8 15th August 2012 13:49
To buy or not to buy a 1996 BMW 328i Two Door Sedan snap316 Luxury, Imports & Niche 22 30th October 2008 22:30


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 19:58.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks