Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 13th January 2014, 15:13   #541
Senior - BHPian
 
AbhiJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 1,237
Thanked: 269 Times
Default Re: BMW 320d & 328i : Official Review

What tyre pressure should I maintain in the F30 320D?The car has varied usage - sometimes 2 people, sometimes 5.

BMW recommends 2.0 BAR in the front tyres for load of 3 people.
BMW recommends 2.2 BAR in the front tyres for load of 5 people+luggage.
BMW recommends 2.2 BAR in the rear tyres for load of 3 people.
BMW recommends 2.7 BAR in the rear tyres for load of 5 people+luggage.

Can I safely keep it at max pressure? (i.e. 2.2/2.7)
AbhiJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2014, 15:59   #542
Team-BHP Support
 
Akshay1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 9,384
Thanked: 5,229 Times
Default Re: BMW 320d & 328i : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
What tyre pressure should I maintain in the F30 320D?The car has varied usage - sometimes 2 people, sometimes 5.

BMW recommends 2.0 BAR in the front tyres for load of 3 people.
BMW recommends 2.2 BAR in the front tyres for load of 5 people+luggage.
BMW recommends 2.2 BAR in the rear tyres for load of 3 people.
BMW recommends 2.7 BAR in the rear tyres for load of 5 people+luggage.

Can I safely keep it at max pressure? (i.e. 2.2/2.7)
Your ride will be horrible if you keep it at that.

Keep 30psi all around when its 2 people, and you can raise it to 32 if there are 5. Of course of you are doing highway driving then I would suggest 2 psi higher in both circumstances.
Akshay1234 is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2014, 16:19   #543
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Bombay
Posts: 175
Thanked: 98 Times
Default Re: BMW 320d & 328i : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post

What tyre pressure should I maintain in the F30 320D?
The car has varied usage - sometimes 2 people, sometimes 5.

Can I safely keep it at max pressure? (i.e. 2.2/2.7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post

Your ride will be horrible if you keep it at that.
Agree with Akshay. The ride will be horrible if you keep 2.7 bar.

By the way, the conversion from Bar to PSI is about 14.50. So
2 Bar = 29/30 psi
2.2 Bar = 32 psi
2.7 Bar = 39/40 psi

Anyway, my car runs mostly on highways and I am comfortable using 32 in the front and 36 on the rear tyres.

For city driving, front 30, rear 32 should be fine and in line with the BMW recommendation for 3 people.
lapsi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2014, 18:21   #544
BHPian
 
the_skyliner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Pune
Posts: 327
Thanked: 282 Times
Default

Got the paint protection film done on bumpers, bonnet, run boards and ORVMs on my 320d. Also, got the uv protection film on windshield.

Total damage is huge (33k) but it's a must for black car in Indian conditions.

When I have saved more in coming months, will get the paint protection done for fenders, doors and boot.

Details coming up in ownership review soon.
the_skyliner is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2014, 19:09   #545
BHPian
 
rishi_kapoor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Greater Noida
Posts: 401
Thanked: 258 Times
Default Re: BMW 320d & 328i : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_skyliner View Post
Got the paint protection film done on bumpers, bonnet, run boards and ORVMs on my 320d. Also, got the uv protection film on windshield.

Total damage is huge (33k) but it's a must for black car in Indian conditions.

When I have saved more in coming months, will get the paint protection done for fenders, doors and boot.

Details coming up in ownership review soon.
Hi Skyliner, what is pain protection film? Can you give more information on price, vendor etc?

Thanks -Rishi
rishi_kapoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2014, 23:47   #546
BHPian
 
the_skyliner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Pune
Posts: 327
Thanked: 282 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi_kapoor View Post

Hi Skyliner, what is pain protection film? Can you give more information on price, vendor etc?

Thanks -Rishi
Paint protection film is a transparent polymer film which is applied on exterior of car to protect the paint from minor scratches and it can be removed after two three years without damaging the paint.

The benefits apart from scratch protection are:

1. When you remove it after few years the car still looks new due to paint not losing shine.

2. It protects paint from damages from acidic liquids like rain, bird droppings, etc.

Prices are per square foot and usually for a car like 320d bumpers and bonnet will cost around 30k.

I did it from 3M which is in my opinion the best option here in Pune.
the_skyliner is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2014, 15:03   #547
BHPian
 
KINI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: chennai
Posts: 301
Thanked: 101 Times
Default Re: BMW 320d & 328i : Official Review

Chennaiites, any idea on discounts offered for the 320D?? I am looking out for a car with a 35L budget.

Also, BMW owners please help me with the following
1. I understand I can buy a BMW anywhere from India. I can approach the dealer in Bangalore and buy the car from him am I right??
2. This will be a purely city car. We will venture out to the highways with this car very rarely. I am a bit apprehensive about how the run flats will hold up on long journeys. Please share your experiences.
KINI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2014, 15:17   #548
BHPian
 
Bluebeem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Ludhiana
Posts: 357
Thanked: 211 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINI View Post
Chennaiites, any idea on discounts offered for the 320D?? I am looking out for a car with a 35L budget.

Also, BMW owners please help me with the following
1. I understand I can buy a BMW anywhere from India. I can approach the dealer in Bangalore and buy the car from him am I right??
2. This will be a purely city car. We will venture out to the highways with this car very rarely. I am a bit apprehensive about how the run flats will hold up on long journeys. Please share your experiences.

1. Well officially BMW doesn't allow this. But unofficially all you need is a rental agreement (or any other address proof) in which your name is even partially mentioned. (Rental agreement is easily made)
In my experience the best deals on BMW are available in Delhi NCR region. Do check their prices before finalizing your decision.

2. Run flats are better than normal tires. No need to worry on that front at all.

Wait till the end of feb. Many cars including the CLA and new C class may be announced in the auto expo.

Wishing you all the best !
Bluebeem is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2014, 16:30   #549
BHPian
 
KINI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: chennai
Posts: 301
Thanked: 101 Times
Default Re: BMW 320d & 328i : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebeem View Post
1. Well officially BMW doesn't allow this. But unofficially all you need is a rental agreement (or any other address proof) in which your name is even partially mentioned. (Rental agreement is easily made)
In my experience the best deals on BMW are available in Delhi NCR region. Do check their prices before finalizing your decision.

2. Run flats are better than normal tires. No need to worry on that front at all.

Wait till the end of feb. Many cars including the CLA and new C class may be announced in the auto expo.

Wishing you all the best !
The dealer here Kun doesn't have a great reputation. Since it's a monopoly I am vary of them.

I haven't faced any GC issues with my Cruze here in Chennai, I hope the its the same for the Bimmer too.
Does the basic variant with Xenons come with front parking sensors??


A bit but when can we expect the new C Class

Last edited by KINI : 31st January 2014 at 16:39.
KINI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2014, 16:41   #550
BHPian
 
Bluebeem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Ludhiana
Posts: 357
Thanked: 211 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINI View Post
The dealer here Kun doesn't have a great reputation. Since it's a monopoly I am vary of them.



I haven;t faced any GC issues with my Cruze here in Chennai, I hope the same rremains for Bimmer too.

Does the basic variant with Xenons come with front parking sensors??





A bit but when can we expect the new C Class

Bummer has much better clearance than cruze

None of the 3 series models come with front parking sensors

Don't have much of an idea about the C class. I assume it won't come to india before end of this year since it hasn't started selling globally yet.

Secondly in most markets including india the C class will be launched at a much higher price to make way for the CLA. Expect the C class to launch at 37-38 lacs for the base model
Bluebeem is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2014, 19:40   #551
Distinguished - BHPian
 
drmohitg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 4,166
Thanked: 2,934 Times
Default Re: BMW 320d & 328i : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Your ride will be horrible if you keep it at that.

Keep 30psi all around when its 2 people, and you can raise it to 32 if there are 5. Of course of you are doing highway driving then I would suggest 2 psi higher in both circumstances.
The dealership recommended:
1. 29 psi in front and 31 in the rear tyres if 2 people are travelling without luggage.
2. 31 psi in front and 39 psi in the rear tyres if 3 or more people are travelling with luggage.

On any long drives he mentioned to follow point number two regardless of the number of persons travelling.

Till now I have been maintaining 29 psi in front and 31 in the back.
drmohitg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2014, 20:47   #552
BHPian
 
Bluebeem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Ludhiana
Posts: 357
Thanked: 211 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post

2. 31 psi in front and 39 psi in the rear tyres if 3 or more people are travelling with luggage.



On any long drives he mentioned to follow point number two regardless of the number of persons travelling.



Till now I have been maintaining 29 psi in front and 31 in the back.

39??!!!

I think you are mistaken or the dealer is.

I was explicitly told by the dealer to maintain 32/34 during highway drives. I followed that only once. Unluckily hit a very hard bump on the highway which has resulted in 2 bent alloys.

Upon inspection the dealer was quick to wash his hands off saying "sir recommended tire pressure is 28/30. Your tire pressure must've been higher that's why the alloys are bent. "

Anyway. In my experience anywhere between 28-30 psi is more than sufficient for highway drives as it swallows the bumps much better.
Mind you the more the passengers the harder you'll hit the bump. So moderate pressure is fine.
Bluebeem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2014, 20:50   #553
Team-BHP Support
 
Akshay1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 9,384
Thanked: 5,229 Times
Default Re: BMW 320d & 328i : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
The dealership recommended:
1. 29 psi in front and 31 in the rear tyres if 2 people are travelling without luggage.
2. 31 psi in front and 39 psi in the rear tyres if 3 or more people are travelling with luggage.

On any long drives he mentioned to follow point number two regardless of the number of persons travelling.

Till now I have been maintaining 29 psi in front and 31 in the back.
I think for longer drives you can follow 32/34 if its fully loaded or even 35 for the rear but definitely not 39. That will just make your ride too stiff.
Akshay1234 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2014, 22:32   #554
Distinguished - BHPian
 
drmohitg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 4,166
Thanked: 2,934 Times
Default Re: BMW 320d & 328i : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebeem View Post
39??!!!

I think you are mistaken or the dealer is.

Anyway. In my experience anywhere between 28-30 psi is more than sufficient for highway drives as it swallows the bumps much better.
Mind you the more the passengers the harder you'll hit the bump. So moderate pressure is fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
I think for longer drives you can follow 32/34 if its fully loaded or even 35 for the rear but definitely not 39. That will just make your ride too stiff.
Well the dealer was actually pretty serious about the tyre pressure. While delivering he took extra effort and told me the above numbers to be maintained. I even have the paper where he specifically wrote 39 psi for the rear tyres when the car is fully loaded or on long drives. Apparently the chances of the RFT failing on you are less. But ofcourse I haven't really followed that and maintaining 29 psi in front and 31 in back at all times.
drmohitg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2014, 09:50   #555
BHPian
 
the_skyliner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Pune
Posts: 327
Thanked: 282 Times
Default

Have a question regarding seat height adjustment. I noticed that the passenger seat lowest position is lower than the driver seat lowest position. Is it normal?

I asked BMW and they said that it is like that. I am not 100% convinced by that.

Experts, please throw some light on it!
the_skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The ULTIMAT3 - F30 BMW 328i. EDIT: Upgraded with ///M Exhaust & Injen Intake! karan561 Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 467 4th December 2016 22:17
BMW 325i,320d or 523i??? EDIT Bought 320D Highline morphin1 Luxury, Imports & Niche 67 13th April 2015 13:57
First Impressions: BMW 328i (F30) from Gothenburg, Sweden anekho Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 8 15th August 2012 13:49
To buy or not to buy a 1996 BMW 328i Two Door Sedan snap316 Luxury, Imports & Niche 22 30th October 2008 22:30


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 10:03.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks