Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 3rd October 2017, 08:17   #361
BHPian

BHPians, urgent question here. Please help. Kindly check the image and the car key in it.

I turned it this morning and the key broke off from the fob. It wouldn't start the car with just the key. But push that black thingy on to it, it started and stayed alive.

I was able to drive it from my friend's house to mine. I am not in town where the car was purchased. Car belongs to my sister.

Is it OK to drive the car this way? I have to return to Chennai tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
The hesitation in the transmission is a Honda trait inherited from the Civic (the original / source of the AT). So when I saw it I found in quite familiar. As for the Aircon it was pretty good till the compressor more or less failed on my Brio.
Not sure if it is my all in my mind, but the car behaves better with Shell petrol with regards to gear changes. Anyway as I have mentioned below, maybe that is all the small car can cool. Will check coolant level during service just to be sure.

Car performed excellently on the Chennai - Bangalore highway. Does bounce a bit but go-kartish handling

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkapoor777 View Post
I have a 2013 model and this past summer in Delhi heat, I did not find any issues. It would cool the cabin pretty well and quickly.
I checked both the fans in the engine bay and it was running. No deposits on the condenser coils as well. I guess that is the capacity of the AC in the car. I'll ask them to check the coolant once it is gone for service.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Brio (Automatic) : Official Review-brio_keys.jpg  

Last edited by SchumiFan : 3rd October 2017 at 08:45.
SchumiFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2017, 09:06   #362
BHPian

Default Re: Honda Brio (Automatic) : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchumiFan View Post
BHPians, urgent question here. Please help. Kindly check the image and the car key in it.

I turned it this morning and the key broke off from the fob. It wouldn't start the car with just the key. But push that black thingy on to it, it started and stayed alive.

I was able to drive it from my friend's house to mine. I am not in town where the car was purchased. Car belongs to my sister.

This is not the first occurrence. Looks like the quality has gone for a toss on the Honda cars! Did not expect the key to break off from the fob.

I would suggest not to take a risk on a long journey. Better courier the spare key and use it to drive down the car.
searacer932 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2017, 21:55   #363
BHPian

Default Honda Brio (Automatic) : Official Review

Quote:
BHPians, urgent question here. Please help.

Car is perfectly fine to drive . Just remember every time you start it to hold the plastic immobiliser and the metal key connected together .

It is not that the quality is gone for a toss but the plastic tends to break after a few years of use . Recently happened to someone else I know and also it depends on your usage .

If you are careful it stays fine if you are slightly hard heavy user and you drop the keys a lot it cracks.

Order a new key fob from Amazon India, take the immobiliser parts and buttons from this old key plastic and put it into new fob and go to a local key replicator and get the new metal fob part engraved like the old key.

Viola problem solved. 400 for keyfob and 600 for engraving coding labour .

New key from Honda India costs 10000 just fyi.

Last edited by M00M : 3rd October 2017 at 21:58.
M00M is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2017, 22:15   #364
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M00M View Post
Car is perfectly fine to drive . Just remember every time you start it to hold the plastic immobiliser and the metal key connected together .

Viola problem solved. 400 for keyfob and 600 for engraving coding labour .

New key from Honda India costs 10000 just fyi.
Thank you very much for the detailed post. I was afraid after reading stories of some Chevy car's ignition turning off by itself when hitting a bump. If this thing stopped in the middle of the trip, it would have been disastrous.

But I saw a video in YouTube where a person shows the same way to start the car in case of a broken fob. Reading your post gives me confidence.

Rs. 10000 for a key fob sounds atrocious. I'll see if I can do the Amazon route. Thank you giving me that info as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by searacer932 View Post
This is not the first occurrence. Looks like the quality has gone for a toss on the Honda cars! Did not expect the key to break off from the fob.

I would suggest not to take a risk on a long journey. Better courier the spare key and use it to drive down the car.
To be frank, I have sat on it multiple times after keeping it in the back pocket and I just got to know from my sister that the driver had fixed it with glue already since it has come off once before.

My sister has couriered the replacement key. So I am covered for tomorrow's trip. Thinking that Keyless start buttons will be way better and should be the way to go. Just remember not to leave the fob inside the car

Last edited by SchumiFan : 3rd October 2017 at 22:18.
SchumiFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2017, 23:41   #365
BHPian

Quote:
Rs. 10000 for a key fob sounds atrocious. I'll see if I can do the Amazon route. Thank you giving me that info as well.
Enquired from Honda a few weeks back. Was quoted approx 5k for a new key for the Brio including taxes. Not sure where the 10k is coming from. Aftermarket guys quoting 1500 in total. Yet to decide which way to go. The keyfob is damaged but not broken off.
nkapoor777 is offline   Reply With Quote