Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2012, 13:29   #346
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 88
Thanked: 3 Times
Default Re: Chevrolet Sail U-VA : Official Review

Thanks Suhaas and Sups,

I have lined up the Ritz and Liva for TD this weekend. GM is not giving out any discounts on the Sail and for the price for the LT trim it is a bland car. Hope they bring out some year-end offers.

Sups,

The work you did on the Liva is sort of over-the-counter so does it void the warranty?
skartik2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2012, 14:53   #347
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 300
Thanked: 130 Times
Default Re: Chevrolet Sail U-VA : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by skartik2 View Post
Sups,

The work you did on the Liva is sort of over-the-counter so does it void the warranty?
It actually does not.

Damping material does not interfere with any of the electricals and mechanical component of the car. In fact door damping is suggested in our tbhp ICE section for better audio. And the lamination is like a floor cover.
sups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2012, 15:24   #348
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 122
Thanked: 84 Times
Default Re: Chevrolet Sail U-VA : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
The Liva and the Sail U-VA are your top options.
However, I see you've mentioned that the rear seat will be used by senior-citizens. Just for that, I'll recommend the Ritz. Ingress / Egress in the RItz is very good and the back seat is quite comfortable. The only drawback is the lack of outright leg-room.
I am not going to recommend a car just like that. You'll have to drive them and see what you prefer. I'll suggest you drive the Sail, the Liva, the Ritz and try the Figo as well. The Ford isn't too shabby when it comes to legroom.
Having driven Ritz for >30k, I will recommend NOT to consider Ritz if the rear seat is to be used extensively on highways. The ingress-egress is spot on, however its too bumpy in the rear and older folks will surely not enjoy being there over a longer period of time. However, if the car is to be used in city runs, it's not much of an issue.
If I were in your place, I will also not count Figo in, the reason being it requires extra effort to get in and out of the car. Having seen elders in my family getting in and out of our little Zen, I can tell you that. These seemingly "small" things make a heck of difference particularly in case of elders.
I haven't driven Sail or Liva substantially so can't comment on these cars.
headbanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2012, 15:41   #349
Team-BHP Support
 
suhaas307's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,055
Thanked: 6,602 Times
Default Re: Chevrolet Sail U-VA : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by headbanger View Post
Having driven Ritz for >30k, I will recommend NOT to consider Ritz if the rear seat is to be used extensively on highways. The ingress-egress is spot on, however its too bumpy in the rear and older folks will surely not enjoy being there over a longer period of time. However, if the car is to be used in city runs, it's not much of an issue.
If I were in your place, I will also not count Figo in, the reason being it requires extra effort to get in and out of the car. Having seen elders in my family getting in and out of our little Zen, I can tell you that. These seemingly "small" things make a heck of difference particularly in case of elders.
I haven't driven Sail or Liva substantially so can't comment on these cars.
Every car has its drawbacks. No car is perfect.

In fact, I would not recommend the Figo to anyone who wants a chauffeur-driven car, or if someone is looking for a good ride at the back. Not only is the ingress / egress average, the ride is stiff and it's not comfortable.

But if you read my post carefully, you'll see that I haven't recommended the Figo, I've just suggested it given that it's tremendous value-for-money. The legroom is good and so is the boot. Plus, you get a host of features and all of this at a good price-tag. If someone is looking at the Ritz, you might as well check out the other cars in the segment before finalizing on a particular car.

The Ritz ride is bumpy, yes. But for city-jaunts, it works well. For the highways, the Sail / Liva would be worthy contenders. Both are reasonably composed and stable, both cars can boast of great ride-quality and both cars have workhorses for engines.
suhaas307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2012, 19:48   #350
Senior - BHPian
 
puchoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Delhi / Shimla
Posts: 1,433
Thanked: 750 Times
Default Re: Chevrolet Sail U-VA : Official Review

I believe there is a corporate discount out now on the Sail , not sure how much it adds upto , but they are advertising it in the ads which are coming out these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skartik2 View Post
Thanks Suhaas and Sups,

I have lined up the Ritz and Liva for TD this weekend. GM is not giving out any discounts on the Sail and for the price for the LT trim it is a bland car. Hope they bring out some year-end offers.

Sups,

The work you did on the Liva is sort of over-the-counter so does it void the warranty?
puchoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2012, 21:37   #351
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 88
Thanked: 3 Times
Default Re: Chevrolet Sail U-VA : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by puchoo View Post
I believe there is a corporate discount out now on the Sail , not sure how much it adds upto , but they are advertising it in the ads which are coming out these days.
It is 2000 Rs. as per zigwheels website.
skartik2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2012, 22:00   #352
BHPian
 
gauravdgr8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: CG/CH
Posts: 477
Thanked: 372 Times
Default Re: Chevrolet Sail U-VA : Official Review

Try the Vista 75 and 90. VFM package with loads of space.

Quadrajet is light years ahead in terms of driveability when compared to Tdi.
gauravdgr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2012, 22:07   #353
Senior - BHPian
 
vnabhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: DC -> DC
Posts: 5,271
Thanked: 1,235 Times
Default Re: Chevrolet Sail U-VA : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauravdgr8 View Post
Try the Vista 75 and 90. VFM package with loads of space.

Quadrajet is light years ahead in terms of driveability when compared to Tdi.
Pardon my ignorance, but isn't Quadrajet the same as Fiat's multi-jet? If yes, how come the Vista does not suffer from turbo-lag like the Punto or Swift?

And I believe the SAIL Uva has the same engine, but in a different tune, which vastly improves driveabilty. That is what has been mentioned on the opening page of this review.
vnabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2012, 22:22   #354
BHPian
 
Rufus_M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Mangalore
Posts: 103
Thanked: 34 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post

Pardon my ignorance, but isn't Quadrajet the same as Fiat's multi-jet? If yes, how come the Vista does not suffer from turbo-lag like the Punto or Swift?

And I believe the SAIL Uva has the same engine, but in a different tune, which vastly improves driveabilty. That is what has been mentioned on the opening page of this review.
Yes. It's the same engine. Infact, the gearbox is also Fiat derived (C510) in Tata Vista.
Rufus_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2012, 22:55   #355
BHPian
 
gauravdgr8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: CG/CH
Posts: 477
Thanked: 372 Times
Default Re: Chevrolet Sail U-VA : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Pardon my ignorance, but isn't Quadrajet the same as Fiat's multi-jet? If yes, how come the Vista does not suffer from turbo-lag like the Punto or Swift?

And I believe the SAIL Uva has the same engine, but in a different tune, which vastly improves driveabilty. That is what has been mentioned on the opening page of this review.
Vista's turbo kicks in at 1750-1800 rpm whereas I guess in Swift/Punto @ 2000. This is the primary reason of a very low turbo lag on the Vista.

In Vista you can cleanly pull in 5th gear at 1500 rpm onwards. You can easily roam around the city in 3rd & 4th gear at 1200 rpm.

In Sail too the turbo spools in from 1750 rpm, albeit with a higher torque of 205 Nm. This is the highest torque on any hatchback running on the Fiat Multijet.

However what remains to be seen is, how much would it have an impact on the mileage.
gauravdgr8 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2012, 23:57   #356
Senior - BHPian
 
DRIV3R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: India
Posts: 1,655
Thanked: 1,110 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauravdgr8 View Post


In Sail too the turbo spools in from 1750 rpm, albeit with a higher torque of 205 Nm. This is the highest torque on any hatchback running on the Fiat Multijet.
Well technically that is incorrect, the Punto 90 HP takes the honors with 209nm of torque.
DRIV3R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2012, 23:57   #357
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 88
Thanked: 3 Times
Default Re: Chevrolet Sail U-VA : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauravdgr8 View Post
Try the Vista 75 and 90. VFM package with loads of space.

Quadrajet is light years ahead in terms of driveability when compared to Tdi.
I would like to TD the quadrajet, and compare it to Sail.

I TD the Sail today and felt as you say 'light years ahead in terms of driveability when compared to Tdi'.
skartik2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2012, 00:09   #358
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Mumbai/BLR/USA
Posts: 928
Thanked: 190 Times
Default Re: Chevrolet Sail U-VA : Official Review

GM should have brought the Sonic (may be a downgraded version ) instead of the Sail and may be priced it close to Swift , that strategy would have worked but with this boxy boring Sail , itís not going to happen. Indian customers are getting mature and do a lot of research online before putting in there money as cars are expensive in this part of the world.
Anyways the sales figure will tell the facts that if GM got it right.
tj123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2012, 03:56   #359
BHPian
 
gauravdgr8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: CG/CH
Posts: 477
Thanked: 372 Times
Default Re: Chevrolet Sail U-VA : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
Well technically that is incorrect, the Punto 90 HP takes the honors with 209nm of torque.
That's for the 90 BHP. I was referring to the 75 BHP model which is more common among the lot in Swift, Vista and in this case the Sail.
gauravdgr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2012, 14:12   #360
Newbie
 
Earth Lord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 10
Thanked: 5 Times
Default Re: Chevrolet Sail U-VA : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by skartik2 View Post
Thanks Suhaas and Sups,

I have lined up the Ritz and Liva for TD this weekend. GM is not giving out any discounts on the Sail and for the price for the LT trim it is a bland car. Hope they bring out some year-end offers.

Sups,

The work you did on the Liva is sort of over-the-counter so does it void the warranty?

Owning a car is more than just the initial phase of buying it and I am sure you know it - you are a BHPian too

As far as after sales service counts, Maruti and Toyota are pretty much the best in the business. The Vista is a value-for-money product, no doubts. But when you hear the troubles people go through at the service centers, probably would not opt for a Tata product. Sure, some might have had a good experience, but overall the experience with Tata is not great - I have had several friends of mine complaining about it and a friend of mine who sold off his nine month old Vista for this reason. He bought a Swift by the way and another who sold it and opted for an i10.

I own the Ritz and can tell you that ownership experience wise it will be peaceful. The rear suspension is a problem when going over uneven roads, it really rocks - not in a nice way. On the smooth NH surfaces - its stable and actually does quite well.

Consider resale price and the Ritz might just look like a better deal than Liva. But as far as ride quality is concerned, the Punto is way better - but its a choice you have to make considering where you plan to get it serviced at.
Earth Lord is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Review: My Chevrolet Sail U-VA TDCi svsantosh Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 44 15th February 2015 10:24
Chevrolet Sail (Hatchback) & Chevrolet MPV (Enjoy) : Auto Expo 2012 GTO The Indian Car Scene 343 9th May 2013 12:44
SCOOP: Chevrolet Sail *Sedan* spied testing. Clear PICS on Page 9, 11, 18 & 20 Mpower The Indian Car Scene 407 1st February 2013 14:33


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 04:12.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks