Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 22nd October 2013, 13:59   #1726
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 171
Thanked: 54 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Safari Dicor owners, any downside to the Dicor protruding hub caps? Do they get damaged because they protrude so much? Do the bolts shear off or loosen? Will it affect the wheel balance or rotation in any way? I think I would probably like to go in for them as well for my Storme. I have already gotten the Dicor bonnet light retrofitted to my Storme (cost under 1000 bucks and done very neatly). Now if only I could also get a lighter power socket in the 3rd row as well .....
One of my friends in Delhi got the lighter power socket installed as an after market accessory. We were surprise when the fitter told us that Tata has already provided the wiring for it. Guess they saved 100 bucks by not fitting it. Hope this helps.
storme'd is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2013, 14:19   #1727
Senior - BHPian
 
ebonho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 3,942
Thanked: 3,170 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
@ebonho, TSK's review mentioned that they are liable to fall out more easily than the ones on teh Storme

But it should fit directly. Though I prefer the OE ones on the Storme.
I cannot understand how they can fall off.

Because the wheel bolts are going through it and the nut tightens on top of it.

Unless they just look like that and are actually press fit over and around the nuts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by storme'd View Post
One of my friends in Delhi got the lighter power socket installed as an after market accessory. We were surprise when the fitter told us that Tata has already provided the wiring for it. Guess they saved 100 bucks by not fitting it. Hope this helps.

That's really helpful bro. On the left side (as in the VX)? Basically, for the car fridge, right now I have to take the connection from the middle row socket, and pass the wire underneath the middle row bench and carpet, with the fridge in the 3rd row.

Last edited by ebonho : 22nd October 2013 at 14:23. Reason: merged back to back posts - sorry
ebonho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2013, 14:24   #1728
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,606
Thanked: 14,883 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
I cannot understand how they can fall off.

Because the wheel bolts are going through it and the nut tightens on top of it.

Unless they just look like that and are actually press fit over and around the nuts.




That's really helpful bro. On the left side (as in the VX)? Basically, for the car fridge, right now I have to take the connection from the middle row socket, and pass the wire underneath the middle row bench and carpet, with the fridge in the 3rd row.
Old safari ones were just press fit. A light kick and they fall off. I am yet to see a safari which has not lost a couple.
The new ones are hard to loose. I had to really try hard to get one off. Infact, it seems impossible that the new ones will fall off.

However, the non alloy caps of the old safari were bolted on, so they cannot fall off, unless the whole rim falls off. In that case you are in more serious trouble than losing the cap
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2013, 16:16   #1729
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 171
Thanked: 54 Times
Default

On the left side (as in the VX)?
Yup, left side exactly where the Vx has it. Fitments looks just like the original one.
storme'd is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2013, 13:10   #1730
Senior - BHPian
 
ebonho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 3,942
Thanked: 3,170 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

My Safari has gotten a lot of scratches now on the sides, both sides. A few small initial ones were by my dog, and now to my horror, after the truck came back from the accessory guy, tons of scratches all over (will not name him for now coz I hope he is reading and does the right thing - otherwise a detailed report here with photographs and adequate warning to other Team BHPians will surely follow).

Now my question is, which is the best place in Pune to go to in order to have the car polished, paint touched up/sealed, and scratches removed?

I only know of the 3M paint sealant treatment (with and without coating) and the Wurth treatment offered by the National TASS. Any others which are as good or better? Which of the 3M centers (there are 4 in Pune - Baner, JM Road, Wanowrie, and Viman Nagar) does the best job?

Which per the experience of the veteran BHPians here is the best place to take my baby to? I am really gutted man. Every small scratch is like a knife in my heart - and here in one day I have a car full of scratches!

Or will I need to go in for the much costlier and drastic option of repainting both sides?
ebonho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2013, 20:04   #1731
BHPian
 
smsrini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 959
Thanked: 213 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
My Safari has gotten a lot of scratches now on the sides, both sides.

Or will I need to go in for the much costlier and drastic option of repainting both sides?
If the scratches are hairline i.e. if you run your fingernail across the scratch and you dont feel the depth, then normal buffing / rubbing can help. if its deeper, then you may have to repaint / touch up.

For hairline scratches, there are light rubbing products like scratch-out available.

You may take it to 3M first and get their opinion, and then decide if it needs paint touch up.
smsrini is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2013, 21:12   #1732
Senior - BHPian
 
narayan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: chennai
Posts: 2,588
Thanked: 800 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Guys
Has anyone tried a roof mounted luggage carrier with the Storme ? Any suggestions on what will look good ? I don't plan to invest in Thules etc. If practically posssible I might even remove it after the trip.
narayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2013, 14:52   #1733
Senior - BHPian
 
ebonho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 3,942
Thanked: 3,170 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
If the scratches are hairline i.e. if you run your fingernail across the scratch and you dont feel the depth, then normal buffing / rubbing can help. if its deeper, then you may have to repaint / touch up.

For hairline scratches, there are light rubbing products like scratch-out available.

You may take it to 3M first and get their opinion, and then decide if it needs paint touch up.
Went to the 3M guys today. They offered me a trial on the worst (most white) of the scratches. They did all the steps short of the final clear coat paint sealant step. And the bad scratch and other lighter scratches are gone.

The difference in price between the two packages is Rs. 6618 (with synthetic paint sealant clear coat of about 4.5 microns - this should last approx. 1 year) and Rs. 4933 (with natural hard wax coating only of about 1-1.5 micron thickness - this should last approx. 6 months).

Since both packages need the customer to take care of the finish by waxing the car at regular intervals, with one lasting approximately 6 months longer, is it advisable to go in for the more expensive package or will the basic package suffice?

Is there any other advantage of one over the other?

The TASS (I am yet to go to them and show them the car) have the treatment done by AutoChrome (?) and their package cost Rs. 5500 but they offer you a refresh 3 times within the same cost. 3M is a one time thing.
ebonho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2013, 19:26   #1734
BHPian
 
neel385's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Kharagpur
Posts: 492
Thanked: 185 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Went to the 3M guys today. They offered me a trial on the worst (most white) of the scratches. They did all the steps short of the final clear coat paint sealant step. And the bad scratch and other lighter scratches are gone.

The difference in price between the two packages is Rs. 6618 (with synthetic paint sealant clear coat of about 4.5 microns - this should last approx. 1 year) and Rs. 4933 (with natural hard wax coating only of about 1-1.5 micron thickness - this should last approx. 6 months).

Since both packages need the customer to take care of the finish by waxing the car at regular intervals, with one lasting approximately 6 months longer, is it advisable to go in for the more expensive package or will the basic package suffice?

Is there any other advantage of one over the other?

The TASS (I am yet to go to them and show them the car) have the treatment done by AutoChrome (?) and their package cost Rs. 5500 but they offer you a refresh 3 times within the same cost. 3M is a one time thing.
I would have gone to TASS, accessed their work and what the 3 touch-ups come up to and then take a final call. 3M is generally the costliest, but quality is good, while with the others, the quality is a gamble more often than not.
neel385 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2013, 09:11   #1735
Distinguished - BHPian
 
condor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Speed-brkr City
Posts: 9,826
Thanked: 2,939 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

@Neel,
I had enquired at both T.A.SS & 3M here - prices seem to be at par
3M quoted a small discount that was available at that time (some temp promo)
condor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2013, 20:43   #1736
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Sheel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Purnea(Bihar)
Posts: 4,643
Thanked: 3,837 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Finally, after a much awaited wait, got to drive the Storme and stretch its legs.

Drove the Car from Purnia - Bhagalpur - Barauni - Purnia Google Maps

It was over 400kms and over really varied terrain. Started from home at 9am.
We had asked for few things from Bhagalpur but travelers frequenting this route would be aware of jam like situations in & around Bhagalpur (thread (Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur. Avoiding NH34)) so, wasted good 2 hours waiting.

By the way, it rained on that morning & the ditches were filled with water. Here, the Storme was in its elements. Within a minute, I lost sight of an Innova and an EcoSport. No need to slow down for anything, slush, mud or pot-holes. By the way, the ditches were big enough for bus to scrape its rear over hang.

Few pictures

Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-img_0013.jpg

Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-img_0014.jpg

Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-img_0014_1.jpg

That zoom should have focussed more on the lower part of the road or further ahead, sorry on that.
Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-img_0015.jpg

Engine - I haven't driven the earlier 2.2 VTT DICOR iteration, so can't really comment, but the same sluggishness could be felt if you didn't change gears on time & lugged a bit and lug you will (sometimes)

I find the 2.2 MHawk to have much more usable low end grunt/torque. It sounds good as well (if something on a family SUV can sound that)

The gear lever had vibes through out. Storme was in its elements at around 100kmph.

Ride - Flattens everything that comes its way. Sometimes the craters were really deep, so much so that if a bus went in, you could just see its top. Few occasions it dealt with sharp potholes, but the Car was firm (in a good way)

Handling - I didn't find it much better than Scorpio. Same for the steering feel.

Brakes - Good. Though on mud+tar-road the front right tire used to slide/lock up a bit, for a fraction. But there was no ABS lamp glowing to indicate if it had been active.

Headlamp - I found it to be very nice, as even on those wee hours, I could do consistent 2,500+ rpm in 5th (After those bad roads) In intensity and brightness, I couldn't differentiate between the low & high beam, despite the low beam coming with superior tech.

One incident, I would like to share, we were closer to home and there were two truck-trailers (those 20+ wheel variety) suddenly heading for us. To my horror, someone had very stupidly parked an auto with very less space to go. They were left with no choice than to steer. To my left, there was cement blocks as they were manning that culvert. Steered & braked & no drama. The Car didn't twitch, though my co-passenger woke up as he was lurched ahead & again pulled back (courtesy; seat-belts) Phew! That could have been close.

Irritants - Front wash was in slow-mo mood, threw very little water. Cross checked, water was filled. Rear wash-wipe broke as it was wired wrongly. It wiped half the glass & then the plastic cladding part. And there was no water spray, just water flow why so?

And that famous boot-lid rattle made its presence by the end of the day.

Sometimes, I could feel dust and or smoke from trucks inside the cabin. The recirculation was on throughout & window not lowered.

My right arm/shoulder sometimes ached while driving, but maybe it was me Though, haven't experienced this in any other Car.

Interior pics

Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-img_0011.jpg

Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-img_0012.jpg

Vague calculation of Fuel economy - The amber light indicating fuel level has hit reserve, lit up. Within 5kms, filled Rs. 500 worth of diesel (The Storme owner has three fuel stations, hence ) and it again lit up within the next 80kms. Passengers two. A/C on (but set to low temp, just short of the 11'o clock position) and revs around 2,500 in 5th.

The A/C was cooling efficiently.

It had that touch-screen stereo & neither was the sound quality very good, nor was the touch sensitivity (it had plastic cover for screen though)

In days to come, I should be spending more days with this particular Storme & will update accordingly. No, it isn't mine.

Incase, you made it till here, well, thanks for reading *winks*

Last edited by Sheel : 27th October 2013 at 20:50.
Sheel is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2013, 21:40   #1737
BHPian
 
kaviprem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 753
Thanked: 427 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
@Neel,
I had enquired at both T.A.SS & 3M here - prices seem to be at par
3M quoted a small discount that was available at that time (some temp promo)
Condor, Which 3M you contacted and got to know about the discount ? I need to do the "paint sealing" shortly and would really help me if you get me the details please. Thanks in advance !

Prem.
kaviprem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2013, 00:06   #1738
Distinguished - BHPian
 
4x4addict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,731
Thanked: 1,937 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Brakes - Good. Though on mud+tar-road the front right tire used to slide/lock up a bit, for a fraction. But there was no ABS lamp glowing to indicate if it had been active.
Seems like comfort is the Storme Forte, which is a great thing given the horrible condition of our highways.


Unlike ETS/Traction Control lights which come on when the system is acticated, ABS light comes on only when there is a failure/fault in the ABS system. It doesn't come on when ABS is activated.
4x4addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2013, 11:05   #1739
Senior - BHPian
 
ebonho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 3,942
Thanked: 3,170 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by neel385 View Post
I would have gone to TASS, accessed their work and what the 3 touch-ups come up to and then take a final call. 3M is generally the costliest, but quality is good, while with the others, the quality is a gamble more often than not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
@Neel,
I had enquired at both T.A.SS & 3M here - prices seem to be at par
3M quoted a small discount that was available at that time (some temp promo)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaviprem View Post
Condor, Which 3M you contacted and got to know about the discount ? I need to do the "paint sealing" shortly and would really help me if you get me the details please. Thanks in advance !

Prem.
I did go to the TASS and got the AutoChrome guys to look at the scratches. Considering the worst (whitest) scratch had already been taken care of by the 3M guys on trial sample basis, the AutoChrome guy did not seem to display any confidence in being able to take care of some of the other (lesser) scratches. This obviously did not in turn lead to a lot of confidence on my part as well and we parted amicable agreeing that a professional treatment like 3M would be better.

I did speak to the Waxoyl head in charge. He told me how his treatment was superior to the 3M one. Basically, their compounds used for removing the scratches are not as abrasive as the 3M one and the final coat (sealant) in Waxoyl is some polymer based thing while in 3M's case it is a synthetic wax layer. Don't know if this is simply marketing or is there any difference between polymer compound and synthetic wax? He mentioned that if you feel a Waxoyl treated versus a 3M treated surface back to back, you can actually make out the difference.

The Waxoyl package is lesser than the costlier of the 3M packages (5500 vs 6600) and they also throw in some freebies (with training) like microfiber cloth (which I have ample of) or chamois leather (good to have - 12" x 12", around 400 bucks), and a windshield wiper fluid. Also within the one year warranty period of you get some part repainted, they will retreat that part free of cost and match the rest of the car to it again as well.

While the Waxoyl package and advantages (?) sound better, most guys I have spoken to (including the accessories guy and some friends who are into the car finish/paint business) suggest 3M as the more standard and professional. Though they caution that once you go in for the 3M treatment, you would need to repeat it once a year because after that the car begins to look a little dull and "smudgy."

Would appreciate experiences and suggestions please as I need to take a call and really do not want to experiment with my Storme (the scratches are bad enough as it is and a kinife in my heart!).
ebonho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2013, 11:33   #1740
BHPian
 
himadrimondal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 417
Thanked: 852 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Finally, after a much awaited wait, got to drive the Storme and stretch its legs.

Drove the Car from Purnia - Bhagalpur - Barauni - Purnia Google Maps

It was over 400kms and over really varied terrain. Started from home at 9am.
We had asked for few things from Bhagalpur but travelers frequenting this route would be aware of jam like situations in & around Bhagalpur (thread (Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur. Avoiding NH34)) so, wasted good 2 hours waiting.
When did you do this? I just came back from Sikkim via the Purnia, Bhagalpur, Dumka route on 19th Oct 2013,
with family and in the Duster. The roads got bad on the approach to
Baghalpur but the Duster was calm and composed. Rest of the route was just fine.
Siliguri to Kolkata(my house) is 635 kms, covered in a little over 12 hrs.

What was real bad was the onward journey from Kolkata to Siliguri via NH34.
100kms stretch from Malda to Dalkhola took me a little more than 5 hours.
The road condition on this highway is beyond description.
The Duster did scrape twice, luckly I was dead slow.

I did own a Safari, it really munches on potholes but I guess thats how the driver feels.
Whereas a passenger on the back seat feels a lot of body roll though much less compared to other cars of this category.
Is it any different in the Storme?
himadrimondal is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tata Safari Storme 4x4 : Official Review tsk1979 Official New Car Reviews 198 26th November 2015 19:02


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 09:31.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks