Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2013, 14:02   #1771
Senior - BHPian
 
narayan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: chennai
Posts: 2,585
Thanked: 798 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Same problem in my truck. Managed to figure out why. The clasp on the seat back which smaps and locks on to the small cylindrical post coming out of the central pillar, is not able to close and lock properly because it aligns with the circular knob like end of that post, instead of further inside on the thinner part of the stalk.

What the TASS guys did was remove that post and refit it on to the central pillar with a washer (as a spacer) at the base. This made the post jut out a bit more and the clasp of the seat back now aligns with the thin part of the post and manages to close and lock perfectly instead of aligning with the circular knob at the end.
In my case, I just had to push back the back rest firmly and at an angle and the u shaped clamp at the seat back went and rested proporly in the bolt thats counted from the C pillar ( if one may call it so )

Have just updated my 2nd service feedback in the ownership thread.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post3285698
narayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2013, 14:10   #1772
Senior - BHPian
 
ebonho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 3,942
Thanked: 3,170 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
In my case, I just had to push back the back rest firmly and at an angle and the u shaped clamp at the seat back went and rested proporly in the bolt thats counted from the C pillar ( if one may call it so )

Have just updated my 2nd service feedback in the ownership thread.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post3285698
Even in my case with some banging a few (many) times and some wrestling with the seat back, the backrest would finally lock and not unlock by pulling the backrest forward. But that was really an inelegant and hit or miss type solution. Now I just have to push the backrest back normally (no Samson style thudding) and things click (and stay) in place.
ebonho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2013, 16:33   #1773
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,603
Thanked: 14,875 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
In my case, I just had to push back the back rest firmly and at an angle and the u shaped clamp at the seat back went and rested proporly in the bolt thats counted from the C pillar ( if one may call it so )

Have just updated my 2nd service feedback in the ownership thread.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post3285698
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Even in my case with some banging a few (many) times and some wrestling with the seat back, the backrest would finally lock and not unlock by pulling the backrest forward. But that was really an inelegant and hit or miss type solution. Now I just have to push the backrest back normally (no Samson style thudding) and things click (and stay) in place.
If you read the review, you will see I have mentioned this issue. Hard braking will cause the rear seat to fall down. This problem is due to the locking mechanism not aligning with the body support bolt on some safari's. If it matches, it perfect, but if it does not then you have a go at it with a hammer and try to find the good position.
Since your stormes are new, I suggest you give a hard time to your A.S.S bodyshop and get it aligned, refusing to give positive feedback till they fix it.
I now have found a solution in my safari. I tie a nylon rope to the backrest, and then tie it with the grab handles on the boot. Not the most elegant, but it works.
tsk1979 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2013, 16:42   #1774
Senior - BHPian
 
ebonho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 3,942
Thanked: 3,170 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Another bit of experience to share. I use to get this clanking metallic sound inside the cabin every time my truck would hit a level difference in the road (like when bottoming out after a flyover where the transition of the concrete is not leveled off smoothly). We went mad trying to find the source of this sound.

Turned out that the bracket which holds the jack, the jack has to be screwed out and opened so that it tightly fits within that. If not, then it moves and makes that metallic thunk.
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2013, 22:01   #1775
BHPian
 
NST440's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Jalandhar
Posts: 179
Thanked: 156 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Hey guys can anyone pls. post about the things to be taken care of at the 3rd service
(1year,10000 Kms.), i guess it includes oil change. I would be going for the same soon & would like to know what things should be kept in mind & at the same time how much would it cost?
NST440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2013, 22:10   #1776
Distinguished - BHPian
 
condor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Speed-brkr City
Posts: 9,812
Thanked: 2,919 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

@NST440, Have you completed 1 year ?
Reason I ask is the service is due only @ 15000 km, and not 10k.

For items to be covered, pls refer owner's manual. Ensure that all those points are done.
condor is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2013, 11:32   #1777
Senior - BHPian
 
narayan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: chennai
Posts: 2,585
Thanked: 798 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
Guys
Has anyone tried a roof mounted luggage carrier with the Storme ? Any suggestions on what will look good ? I don't plan to invest in Thules etc. If practically posssible I might even remove it after the trip.

Guys
posting my query again since I did not get any response. Pls help. Will need to do something in the next 2-3 weeks. Also should I consider the rear mounted metallic tray type thing one sees in the explorer edition ?

Last edited by narayan : 8th November 2013 at 11:39.
narayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2013, 11:35   #1778
Senior - BHPian
 
comfortablynumb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,145
Thanked: 702 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
Pls help.
I had seen these at an accessory shop in Pune and they seemed quite robust & decently put together. Please check if they are available anywhere in Chennai.

http://ajantain.com/roof_racks__luggage_carrier

Cheers,
Vikram
comfortablynumb is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2013, 13:42   #1779
BHPian
 
stormerider's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Pink City
Posts: 334
Thanked: 471 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormerider View Post
Guys I need some suggestions on the problem which I faced for the second time last week leaving me stranded and forced to call on road assistance.
My gear lever went free while the car was in 3 gear!?! It's because of a small pin which links gear lever to transmission, which is only Rs.16 fix at the Tass. But the fact that the pin came out and left me stranded in less than 16k kms is troubling me.
Both the times, the on road assistance (provided by tvs) fixed it with a small nut and bolt and asked me to take the vehicle to Tass for fixing the issue.
Can someone please throw some light as how can I get rid of this dampener, as otherwise I am completely in love with the truck. Has anyone else faced the same issue?
Some help would be appreciated,


Quote:
Originally Posted by NST440 View Post
Hey guys can anyone pls. post about the things to be taken care of at the 3rd service
(1year,10000 Kms.), i guess it includes oil change. I would be going for the same soon & would like to know what things should be kept in mind & at the same time how much would it cost?
Service interval is 1yr/15k kms. check your owner's manual, everything is mentioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
If you read the review, you will see I have mentioned this issue. Hard braking will cause the rear seat to fall down. This problem is due to the locking mechanism not aligning with the body support bolt on some safari's. If it matches, it perfect, but if it does not then you have a go at it with a hammer and try to find the good position.
Since your stormes are new, I suggest you give a hard time to your A.S.S bodyshop and get it aligned, refusing to give positive feedback till they fix it.
I now have found a solution in my safari. I tie a nylon rope to the backrest, and then tie it with the grab handles on the boot. Not the most elegant, but it works.
That's a crude "Jugaad". I remember you mentioning this, but its only if the seat doesn't lock properly, once locked, have never seen this happening.
stormerider is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2013, 14:04   #1780
Senior - BHPian
 
ebonho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 3,942
Thanked: 3,170 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
Guys
posting my query again since I did not get any response. Pls help. Will need to do something in the next 2-3 weeks. Also should I consider the rear mounted metallic tray type thing one sees in the explorer edition ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
I had seen these at an accessory shop in Pune and they seemed quite robust & decently put together. Please check if they are available anywhere in Chennai.

http://ajantain.com/roof_racks__luggage_carrier

Cheers,
Vikram
I am looking at one of these below. Its imported, and better quality and finish than the cheaper Indian ones.

Will probably go with the C300A as it looks more curvy and aerodynamic than the more boxy X100.

CTrack X100 (this comes in matte black powder coating also, on order)

Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-fordecosportsfrontguardsx100.jpg

CTrack X300A

Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-fordecosportsfrontguardsx300a.jpg

Hope this helps.
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2013, 15:45   #1781
Senior - BHPian
 
ebonho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 3,942
Thanked: 3,170 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Audio gurus, I need your help in figuring out my speaker/amp upgrade for my Storme please.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ask-gu...ml#post3287825
ebonho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2013, 18:50   #1782
BHPian
 
YGarg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Kota, Rajasthan
Posts: 111
Thanked: 69 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
Guys
posting my query again since I did not get any response. Pls help. Will need to do something in the next 2-3 weeks. Also should I consider the rear mounted metallic tray type thing one sees in the explorer edition ?
Haven't seen the "Explorer edition Cargo basket" in person yet, but I think it will hamper the accessibility of rear door to some extent. Also the luggage in it will be more prone to bouncing as well as theft as compared to roof rack. The roof racks suggested by ebonho will suit the Storme better in my opinion.
However (if the requirement of carrying additional luggage is once-in-a-blue moon only), isn't it possible to put luggage directly on the roof and tie it with existing grab-handle type things above third window? Roof sheet metal looks designed for bearing the weight of some luggage!
YGarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2013, 19:11   #1783
Distinguished - BHPian
 
condor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Speed-brkr City
Posts: 9,812
Thanked: 2,919 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by YGarg View Post
.. I think it will hamper the accessibility of rear door to some extent. Also the luggage in it will be more prone to bouncing as well as theft as compared to roof rack. The roof racks suggested by ebonho will suit the Storme better in my opinion.
Rear door movement can get hampered only if luggage is loaded up. But your post leads to a good point:
If there is so much luggage that the rear of the Storme is filled, and hence the remainig luggage is put into this rack, then the luggage in the rear of the Storme (inside) will not be accessible till the luggage in the rack is cleared to allow opening of the door.

So, Narayan, logical that a roof carrier is a much better option than that rack.
Quote:
Originally Posted by YGarg View Post
.. isn't it possible to put luggage directly on the roof and tie it with existing grab-handle type things above third window?
@YGarg, have you ever seen anyone placing luggage directly on the roof ? They dont do it even on buses !
condor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2013, 19:28   #1784
BHPian
 
YGarg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Kota, Rajasthan
Posts: 111
Thanked: 69 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
@YGarg, have you ever seen anyone placing luggage directly on the roof ? They dont do it even on buses !
Was expecting something like this only from the experts !
However, the slightly recessed and ribbed area on roof gives the impression that it can be used that way too! For frequent requirement, I completely agree with the idea of detachable roof-rack or lockable roof career.
YGarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2013, 19:45   #1785
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,018
Thanked: 360 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by YGarg View Post
Was expecting something like this only from the experts !
However, the slightly recessed and ribbed area on roof gives the impression that it can be used that way too! For frequent requirement, I completely agree with the idea of detachable roof-rack or lockable roof career.
Have you considered possibility of paint damage due to scratches from feet/wheels of luggage ?

Few years back Concord used to have a nice aluminium luggage rack for safari's similar to one in picture posted below in their showroom.
The difference was that the clamps and bolts used to be fitted exclusively on roof rails without touching painted portion.

Check out from Tata dealer just in case they still sell them.
amitk26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tata Safari Storme 4x4 : Official Review tsk1979 Official New Car Reviews 198 26th November 2015 19:02


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 23:22.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks