Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 23rd November 2013, 13:42   #1831
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 171
Thanked: 54 Times
Default

Just got my alignment done from Concorde. The steering feels harder while turning left while it is quite light on turning right, is this normal?
storme'd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2013, 14:25   #1832
BHPian
 
amolpol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 494
Thanked: 1,276 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by storme'd View Post
Just got my alignment done from Concorde. The steering feels harder while turning left while it is quite light on turning right, is this normal?
I'm not sure that should happen by design in a hydraulic system. The effort needed should be consistent irrespective of the direction of turning. But it also depends on human perception since our left and right movement isn't always calibrated. Get it checked with someone else without giving them your views so that you don't introduce a bias in their judgement.

If its a very big and obvious difference then get it checked at the ASC immediately.
amolpol is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2013, 17:41   #1833
Senior - BHPian
 
Rahulk76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: PNQ
Posts: 1,132
Thanked: 204 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by storme'd View Post
Just got my alignment done from Concorde. The steering feels harder while turning left while it is quite light on turning right, is this normal?
Not normal.
Storme has rackpinion steering.

Get it checked thoroughly.

I have witnessed few replacement of the entire assembly too and one of em was this symptoms albeit stronger.

Cheers

Last edited by Rahulk76 : 23rd November 2013 at 17:42.
Rahulk76 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2013, 18:25   #1834
Distinguished - BHPian
 
condor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Speed-brkr City
Posts: 9,821
Thanked: 2,937 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by storme'd View Post
Just got my alignment done from Concorde. The steering feels harder while turning left while it is quite light on turning right, is this normal?
Do you also see a difference in the number of turns of the steering wheel - number of turns of the st wheel towards left is less than to right?

I had noticed both of these. But checked & adjusted - now back to normal.

Last edited by condor : 23rd November 2013 at 18:27.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2013, 18:46   #1835
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 171
Thanked: 54 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Do you also see a difference in the number of turns of the steering wheel - number of turns of the st wheel towards left is less than to right? I had noticed both of these. But checked & adjusted - now back to normal.
Let me check this and confirm. I called them and they said that castor, camber and toe were adjusted after loosening all 4 bolts from each side. Don't really know what that means!
storme'd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2013, 20:42   #1836
BHPian
 
VeyronSuperSprt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Chennai
Posts: 800
Thanked: 1,549 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by storme'd View Post
Just got my alignment done from Concorde. The steering feels harder while turning left while it is quite light on turning right, is this normal?
This indicates that your castor angle is higher than required on the side on which it is stiffer. You will also notice that the steering self centres (returns to the centre position) quicker when turned in the direction in which it is stiffer. In the direction in which it is not stiff the castor angle is lower and the steering will return slower to the centre position and in some cases may not return at all. Have your castor angle checked again, the problem will disappear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Do you also see a difference in the number of turns of the steering wheel - number of turns of the st wheel towards left is less than to right?
Absolutely no connection to the problem whatsoever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by storme'd View Post
Let me check this and confirm. I called them and they said that castor, camber and toe were adjusted after loosening all 4 bolts from each side. Don't really know what that means!
That is the only way to adjust the castor, camber and toe-in. They are just trying to confuse you by saying that they did so. They haven't done it right, that's all.

Last edited by VeyronSuperSprt : 23rd November 2013 at 20:44.
VeyronSuperSprt is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2013, 21:03   #1837
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 171
Thanked: 54 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeyronSuperSprt View Post
This indicates that your castor angle is higher than required on the side on which it is stiffer. You will also notice that the steering self centres (returns to the centre position) quicker when turned in the direction in which it is stiffer. In the direction in which it is not stiff the castor angle is lower and the steering will return slower to the centre position and in some cases may not return at all. Have your castor angle checked again, the problem will disappear.
Thanks a lot. This makes sense. I don't know how to read alignment machine monitors but all 6 parameters while they were adjusting the various things turned green. I will get them I check this tomorrow and update. Thanks.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 24th November 2013 at 08:35. Reason: fixing quote
storme'd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2013, 21:31   #1838
BHPian
 
VeyronSuperSprt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Chennai
Posts: 800
Thanked: 1,549 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by storme'd View Post
... but all 6 parameters while they were adjusting the various things turned green.
The indicators turning green will have an outer and inner band, what you need to check is that the castor angle that they finally set in the case of the right and left side is exactly the same.
VeyronSuperSprt is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2013, 12:09   #1839
BHPian
 
YGarg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Kota, Rajasthan
Posts: 111
Thanked: 69 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeyronSuperSprt View Post

The indicators turning green will have an outer and inner band, what you need to check is that the castor angle that they finally set in the case of the right and left side is exactly the same.
I think storme can turn its owners into automobile engineers within few months of ownership :-P. However, why can't TASS guys set the angles & weights right in a single attempt? Is it rocket science for them?

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 25th November 2013 at 11:36. Reason: Typo corrected
YGarg is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2013, 08:55   #1840
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 197
Thanked: 220 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by storme'd View Post
Just got my alignment done from Concorde. The steering feels harder while turning left while it is quite light on turning right, is this normal?
Not normal but it takes them a couple of tries to get it right.

Is your turning radius reduced on one side? I had that on one side - they had to replace 'washers'
torquing_points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2013, 09:13   #1841
Distinguished - BHPian
 
condor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Speed-brkr City
Posts: 9,821
Thanked: 2,937 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquing_points View Post
Is your turning radius reduced on one side? I had that on one side
I know, I had that too & I had asked the same question in the prev page .. but apparently, as pointed out by fellow member VeyronSuperSport, this is not possible. I think he could know something more than what we owners are experiencing.
condor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2013, 16:15   #1842
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 129
Thanked: 76 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Guys
One question to you. I was planning to upgrade my speakers and then i realized that i have a good set of speakers in my Ford Fusion. I am planning to swap both.

Is this feasible ? Let me know
subraiyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2013, 16:41   #1843
Distinguished - BHPian
 
condor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Speed-brkr City
Posts: 9,821
Thanked: 2,937 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

what size are the speakers (that you have in the Fusion) ?

6.5" coaxial & components will work - they will be a straight fit
condor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2013, 08:33   #1844
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 197
Thanked: 220 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
I know, I had that too & I had asked the same question in the prev page .. but apparently, as pointed out by fellow member VeyronSuperSport, this is not possible. I think he could know something more than what we owners are experiencing.
In my case the turning radius on the left progressively reduced until it suddenly pretty much stopped turning left. I had to get it towed and fixed. Don't ignore it.
torquing_points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2013, 09:58   #1845
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 129
Thanked: 76 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
what size are the speakers (that you have in the Fusion) ?

6.5" coaxial & components will work - they will be a straight fit
The speakers are 5 X 7. I think it will be tough to fit it in. Any suggestions on whether it would fit and an ICE specialist in Bangalore would be helpful
subraiyr is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tata Safari Storme 4x4 : Official Review tsk1979 Official New Car Reviews 198 26th November 2015 19:02


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 01:50.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks