Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2014, 01:54   #2011
BHPian
 
YGarg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Kota, Rajasthan
Posts: 111
Thanked: 69 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musa View Post
1. The two base base variants will come without a music system.
IIRC, there were news of another storme variant below LX in the pipeline sometime back. If it turns into reality, maybe it comes without ICE. But if music system from present variants is removed it will be suicidal for this product, and in all probability is unlikely.
Last month a SA told me that the coming models will be with 2-din touchscreen HUs, with GPRS system (that's the word he uses for GPS, I presume ).
In general, TATA SA's info are to be taken with a pinch of salt for good mental health!
YGarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2014, 06:35   #2012
BHPian
 
sasi405's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 258
Thanked: 162 Times
Default

I am not at all impressed by the sound quality of the Alpine system. The OE Kenwood in my 7 year old Aveo used to sound much better. How can one enhance the sound? One of the options I am toying with is to put the Blaupunkt Gtb 8A all in one subwoofer and amplifier. Any suggestions?
sasi405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2014, 06:57   #2013
Distinguished - BHPian
 
condor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Speed-brkr City
Posts: 9,812
Thanked: 2,920 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Sasi - the Alpine is good. Just throw out those speakers and you will see the difference. Please check earlier posts - we have been through that. There is a separate thread too.
condor is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2014, 09:45   #2014
BHPian
 
smsrini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 959
Thanked: 213 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasi405 View Post
I am not at all impressed by the sound quality of the Alpine system. The OE Kenwood in my 7 year old Aveo used to sound much better. How can one enhance the sound? One of the options I am toying with is to put the Blaupunkt Gtb 8A all in one subwoofer and amplifier. Any suggestions?
Audio quality in a sedan feels much better given the smaller volume of space and closed spaces used to mount speakers e.g. The rear parcel tray which uses the boot as a sound box.. So don't compare.

For the safari, as Condor pointed out, swap the speakers, put in a good amp, and damp the doors, and you will have a equally good audio.
smsrini is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2014, 19:46   #2015
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 171
Thanked: 54 Times
Default

Guys I have started feeling my gears are increasingly becoming difficult to slot into place specially the 1st and 2nd. Can this be due to the cold weather or something else? Also the temp needle takes forever to reach the halfway mark, sometimes as much as 20 mins in traffic. Is this normal?
storme'd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2014, 19:58   #2016
BHPian
 
sasi405's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 258
Thanked: 162 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by storme'd View Post
Guys I have started feeling my gears are increasingly becoming difficult to slot into place specially the 1st and 2nd. Can this be due to the cold weather or something else? Also the temp needle takes forever to reach the halfway mark, sometimes as much as 20 mins in traffic. Is this normal?
One thing I have noticed in the last two days of driving; it takes a good 20-25km before the engine really warms up and becomes smooth.
Also, the temp needle, once it reaches 1/2 mark, doesnt stay there. It goes down if there is a faster stretch and comes back to the mark in bumper to bumper traffic. In all the other cars that I have had, once the needle reaches halfway mark, it stays there regardless of all other conditions.
sasi405 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2014, 22:27   #2017
Senior - BHPian
 
ebonho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 3,942
Thanked: 3,170 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Have never paid attention to the temperature needle. Will do so now and check. Though I've always seen it bang center.
ebonho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2014, 22:35   #2018
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 171
Thanked: 54 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Have never paid attention to the temperature needle. Will do so now and check. Though I've always seen it bang center.
Yup once my needle reaches the center it remains there. The only problem nowadays is that it takes forever to reach there.
storme'd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2014, 22:44   #2019
BHPian
 
sasi405's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 258
Thanked: 162 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Have never paid attention to the temperature needle. Will do so now and check. Though I've always seen it bang center.
In diesel vehicles, the temp gauge is the most important one. Firstly, diesels run hotter than petrols due to the high compression ratio. Secondly, most diesels have a cast iron block for the same reason above (as opposed to possible aluminium blocks in petrols) and cast iron being a brittle material, is more susceptible to damage if overheated.
I have maintained diesel cars earlier (old cars) and the only gauge that I ensured works properly all the time was the temp gauge.
sasi405 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2014, 08:45   #2020
Senior - BHPian
 
ebonho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 3,942
Thanked: 3,170 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Could one of you guys please take a photo of the headrests of the front seats versus the middle row ones and put them up here for comparison please?

I have a feeling the guys who did my seat covers have swapped them around but I need to compare with an untouched Storme to be certain.

Thanks!
ebonho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2014, 09:00   #2021
Distinguished - BHPian
 
condor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Speed-brkr City
Posts: 9,812
Thanked: 2,920 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Could one of you guys please take a photo of the headrests of the front seats versus the middle row ones and put them up here for comparison please?
I think they are all the same. I have moved them around, and now dont remember which came from where.
condor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2014, 09:04   #2022
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,603
Thanked: 14,875 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasi405 View Post
In diesel vehicles, the temp gauge is the most important one. Firstly, diesels run hotter than petrols due to the high compression ratio. Secondly, most diesels have a cast iron block for the same reason above (as opposed to possible aluminium blocks in petrols) and cast iron being a brittle material, is more susceptible to damage if overheated.
I have maintained diesel cars earlier (old cars) and the only gauge that I ensured works properly all the time was the temp gauge.
. In Safari, even before your temp guage climbs up to be noticeable, the service light comes on and engine goes to limp home mode. So even if your vehicle is overheating, the ecu will detect it before you can and service light will come on.
tsk1979 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2014, 09:19   #2023
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: NAMMA BENGALURU
Posts: 5,613
Thanked: 2,436 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasi405 View Post
In diesel vehicles, the temp gauge is the most important one. Firstly, diesels run hotter than petrols due to the high compression ratio. Secondly, most diesels have a cast iron block for the same reason above (as opposed to possible aluminium blocks in petrols) and cast iron being a brittle material, is more susceptible to damage if overheated.
I have maintained diesel cars earlier (old cars) and the only gauge that I ensured works properly all the time was the temp gauge.
With low revving engines, temperatures will never be high, A Safari can cruise at 100kmph but still the rpm remains under 3000. So overheating is never an issue here, also the ECU has the limp home mode which basically saves the engine in case of any issues arising.
PAVAN KADAM is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2014, 09:22   #2024
BHPian
 
sasi405's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 258
Thanked: 162 Times
Default

You are right. The old diesels I had didn't have ECUs. So one had to rely on the temp gauge to ensure things. But I would still keep an eye on the needle; guess it's an old habit! :-)
sasi405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2014, 10:13   #2025
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,603
Thanked: 14,875 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
With low revving engines, temperatures will never be high, A Safari can cruise at 100kmph but still the rpm remains under 3000. So overheating is never an issue here, also the ECU has the limp home mode which basically saves the engine in case of any issues arising.
Actually, high revving or low revving does not matter. If your cooling system has any fault (eg fan not working, low water, water pump issue), the engine will overheat.
If cooling system is fine, high revving engine will also do fine.
tsk1979 is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tata Safari Storme 4x4 : Official Review tsk1979 Official New Car Reviews 198 26th November 2015 19:02


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 09:32.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks