Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2014, 11:07   #2341
Senior - BHPian
 
ebonho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 3,942
Thanked: 3,170 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
We can expect the desired changes mentioned in Vistasp's wish list. Since a Storme could be seen doing test runs with red registration plates, we can expect the minor changes/upgrades soon.

Dear Bawa Ji THANKS
Parm, hope you meant Bawa Ji's

Seeing as dad (TISCO), younger brother (Tata Sons), and sister (at one time - TCS) were all Tata, and I am a hardcore Jamshedpur boy myself, I might as well join the Tata Motors R&D Field Testing team in an honorary capacity.

Behram, should I forward my CV to you?
ebonho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2014, 11:19   #2342
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Delhi
Posts: 114
Thanked: 98 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Beast View Post
Yes you got it correct.

2-Din Driver Info System, NAVTEQ, 150bhp, Harman Kardon system, TataBlue 5.
Expecting the above to be there in Storme aswell, adding to fixing known issues of Storme.

Eagerly waiting for the arrival of new Storme
I hope all of this comes true, been delaying buying my beast since Dec last year. I can still wait for another 2-3 months max. Hope the wait is worth it. So much obsessed with the Storme that I even measured the stilt parking in my apartment building to check if it would fit in, else would have to shell out another 1 lakh to buy a basement slot.
garyag79 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2014, 12:08   #2343
Senior - BHPian
 
ebonho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 3,942
Thanked: 3,170 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyag79 View Post
I hope all of this comes true, been delaying buying my beast since Dec last year. I can still wait for another 2-3 months max. Hope the wait is worth it. So much obsessed with the Storme that I even measured the stilt parking in my apartment building to check if it would fit in, else would have to shell out another 1 lakh to buy a basement slot.
That's actually a VERY sensible thing you did. A friend of mine who just bought a Safari Dicor LX found that the top part of the beast JUST clears (by a whisker) the front top beam of the arking lot entrance. He cannot fit a roof rack for the same reason. Also needs to mind his head while washing the top of the beast (especially the part over the rear wheels where we grab the side handholds and climb on to the top of the tyre to wash that section over the 3rd row). Most builders when asked also use the Safari as the official yardstick "Safari aa jaati hai sir ...."

Last edited by ebonho : 6th March 2014 at 12:10.
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2014, 12:45   #2344
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 129
Thanked: 76 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
That's actually a VERY sensible thing you did. A friend of mine who just bought a Safari Dicor LX found that the top part of the beast JUST clears (by a whisker) the front top beam of the arking lot entrance.
For the same reason, i get to my office fairly early to get an open parking slot. Else i have to get into the basement and there is a host of beams and ac ducts which tries to fight with Black Knight for space. Also, the design of the basement is such that, its a tight turn even for Black Knight.

What all do Safari owners do to manage their trucks
subraiyr is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2014, 14:43   #2345
BHPian
 
turbo1787's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: NOIDA
Posts: 101
Thanked: 20 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
We can expect the desired changes mentioned in Vistasp's wish list. Since a Storme could be seen doing test runs with red registration plates, we can expect the minor changes/upgrades soon.

Dear Bawa Ji THANKS

I was about to book one this week. Now I think I should wait. But for how long?
turbo1787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2014, 23:05   #2346
BHPian
 
sasi405's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 258
Thanked: 162 Times
Default

Gave in my Storme for the 2nd free service today, @ 4875km. Reason for giving it in early is as follows:
Yesterday, while negotiating morning rush hour traffic on Mathura Rd, the policeman directed vehicles in my line into the service lane (very near Concorde Motors workshop). As I was turning into the lane, a motorcyclist (idiot) comes from the other side and goes straight into the front left of the gaadi, without even bothering to slow down. His bike slid under the front bumper, damaging it from below. Some paint also got transferred from his bike. But the saddest part was a 6" long dent on the bonnet front, just above the chrome strip, near the left headlamp. I just couldn't take it! So I drove it in today, asked them to repair the dent and do the service.
Other issues are:
1. The analogue clock was never illuminated at night in my car (and I never knew it till someone here said so). They have asked for 7-10 days for the replacement part. Will be replaced FoC.
2. Rear hatch and rear right door rattling / squeaking. Will check tomorrow.
3. CRB noise, in 4th gear usually. They have said it's been adjusted; will see tomorrow.
4. Alignment. Vehicle seemed to be mildly pulling to the left, though it never went off line on straight roads. Though it's not part of this service, I insisted and they have confirmed misalignment. Alignment done FoC.
5. The dented bonnet will be repainted totally in their own proper paint booth. Going to check it out tomorrow some time.

Gaadi should be back soon. Will update.
sasi405 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2014, 08:35   #2347
BHPian
 
sasi405's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 258
Thanked: 162 Times
Default

Point to note from my experience quoted in the previous post:
The Storme's bonnet, especially the lip between the chrome strip and the top, is very easily susceptible to damage. Also, in the event of anything or anyone hitting it from the front, the chances of that going under the car are higher. Pedestrian safety is, I think, a weakpoint in the design.
sasi405 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2014, 08:52   #2348
Distinguished - BHPian
 
condor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Speed-brkr City
Posts: 9,818
Thanked: 2,933 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasi405 View Post
Also, in the event of anything or anyone hitting it from the front, the chances of that going under the car are higher. Pedestrian safety is, I think, a weakpoint in the design.
Or is it intentional ?

If the bonnet is too hard, and does not crumple/dent, then the other object is absorbing the force. Getting crumpled / dented is a way of absorbing some of the impact.

Hence that may not be be weakpoint.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2014, 11:18   #2349
Senior - BHPian
 
ebonho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 3,942
Thanked: 3,170 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Or is it intentional ?

If the bonnet is too hard, and does not crumple/dent, then the other object is absorbing the force. Getting crumpled / dented is a way of absorbing some of the impact.

Hence that may not be be weakpoint.
Condor I think he was talking about the high clearance of the front end of the truck which means in frontal impacts, things slide underneath (and could be caught and dragged or wedged there).

In most frontal impact tests between SUVs and sedans which they show on Discovery Turbo and Nat Geo and the like, the SUV normally mounts the top of the sedan. Not good for the sedan I'm sure, but equally I'm sure no SUV owner would want it any other way.

One of the reasons people buy SUVs (as against sedans for the same budget) is for the size and the added safety and sense of security. Its obvious that 90% of SUVs not only in India but even the West, rarely if ever actually go off the beaten track and are used as rough road vehicles. Still people buy them in spite of the weight and lower performance and cost of maintenance and low mileage.
ebonho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2014, 07:05   #2350
BHPian
 
sasi405's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 258
Thanked: 162 Times
Default

I did mean the same thing as ebonho. The man / bike / car that hits you automatically slides underneath. That's not good. I definitely don't want to run over anyone just because the impact pushed them underneath rather than throwing them over.
sasi405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2014, 10:52   #2351
Senior - BHPian
 
ebonho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 3,942
Thanked: 3,170 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasi405 View Post
I did mean the same thing as ebonho. The man / bike / car that hits you automatically slides underneath. That's not good. I definitely don't want to run over anyone just because the impact pushed them underneath rather than throwing them over.
Sasi, ideally you should try to avoid the situation in the first place (frontal impact). But if it God forbid does happen, would you actually rather the thing you are hiting be thrown over as you say you prefer?? In most such cases, such things glance off the bonnet and go straight through the front windshield .....
ebonho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2014, 20:27   #2352
BHPian
 
sasi405's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 258
Thanked: 162 Times
Default

Pedestrian safety norms usually prescribe a design that prevents the pedestrian from going under the car. Its preferable that the person lands on the bonnet. However all pedestrian safety regulations calculate for low speeds (upto 40kmph, I think). In my case, this guy was coming towards me in speed. I was actually standing still.
sasi405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2014, 22:46   #2353
Senior - BHPian
 
narayan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: chennai
Posts: 2,588
Thanked: 800 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasi405 View Post
Pedestrian safety norms usually prescribe a design that prevents the pedestrian from going under the car. Its preferable that the person lands on the bonnet. However all pedestrian safety regulations calculate for low speeds (upto 40kmph, I think). In my case, this guy was coming towards me in speed. I was actually standing still.
Don't think these norms apply in India else even the Fortuner would fare poorly given its even higher bonnet.
narayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2014, 19:35   #2354
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Delhi,Allahabad
Posts: 276
Thanked: 200 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaymant View Post
I accidentally found out today that my Storme is fitted with OEM supplied theft-deterrent car alarm (it is not even specified in the manual).

Have any of you noticed the same? Or is it standard for remote locking systems?
Well, this feature is called the perimetric alarm system and exists in the Storme, ARIA and if I'm not wrong, in the Manza as well. Surprising the manual does not mention it, it is mentioned in the ARIA's manual. The central door lock mechanism must be mentioned there no ?

Not only the doors, it is tied with the ECU as well so that an "armed" system will not start the engine, even with a physically similar key used to unlock the doors. Some RFID TX-RX in the key fob and the key hole is my guess.

Pl note - the system takes about 30-45 secs to "arm" itself after locking and without an intervention. After that, it will honk and the blinkers come on as an audio-visual alarm.
lifebuoy is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2014, 20:19   #2355
BHPian
 
kaymant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Durgapur
Posts: 27
Thanked: 14 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifebuoy View Post
Well, this feature is called the perimetric alarm system and exists in the Storme, ARIA and if I'm not wrong, in the Manza as well.
I found that if I lock the doors using the remote and after some time use the key to unlock (and not the remote), then also the alarm goes off. What if I remote locked the door and upon returning have to use the key (say the remote battery has gone)? What to do in such situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifebuoy View Post
Pl note - the system takes about 30-45 secs to "arm" itself after locking and without an intervention. After that, it will honk and the blinkers come on as an audio-visual alarm.
Probably the alarm will be triggered only if I open the door (and not if I unlock the doors but not actually open them).
kaymant is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tata Safari Storme 4x4 : Official Review tsk1979 Official New Car Reviews 198 26th November 2015 19:02


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 14:15.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks