Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 21st April 2014, 15:13   #2596
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by storme'd View Post
...If you have the front wipers on and engage the reverse gear, the rear wiper gets activated automatically till the car is in reverse. At first I thought this was a problem but later realised what a boon it was. Apart from this, no problems.
It definitely is a great feature to have. As far as I remember, a lot of vehicles with rear wiper has this feature enabled. The logic is if the front wipers are working, it's raining and the rear wiper needs to clean up the windshield while reversing.
swiftnfurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2014, 15:37   #2597
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Do not miss anything given in owners manual. If owners manual says service at 5000kms, get it done. Even if its on the way.
If you can do around 4000kms before the start of the trip, you can reach Delhi around 4500 and and schedule a quick service.

Since this is just checkup, atleast in Noida I can ask the works manager to have you in and out within 3-4 hours.

If you do not want a wash(takes time), it will take just 1-2 hours max.
If you skip any service, it can result in warranty issues later on.

If you are hitting any other city around 4500-5000kms. I think they can also accommodate you for quick service.
Yes, reading service manual from last 2 days thoroughly.

Clocking 4000 km before starting the trip, have kept a half day for 5000 km service between trip and planning a stay accordingly.

Thanks for help however we are not passing from Delhi/Noida (to avoid traffic) as the route is Pune - Ajmer - Pathankot - Srinagar - Leh. We have identified a TATA ASC in Pathankot and will keep them informed about our arrival.
Thar4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2014, 18:08   #2598
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
It definitely is a great feature to have. As far as I remember, a lot of vehicles with rear wiper has this feature enabled. The logic is if the front wipers are working, it's raining and the rear wiper needs to clean up the windshield while reversing.
I would like the same functionality in the horn too. Maybe have an additional small horn at the back, which gets activated when in reverse and you can honk for people to move away. The front horn being blown to warn someone at the back just seems so silly (half the time, they don't hear it and it just creates noise for those in front). Why didn't anyone think of this till now, I wonder!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thar4x4 View Post
Thanks for help however we are not passing from Delhi/Noida (to avoid traffic) as the route is Pune - Ajmer - Pathankot - Srinagar - Leh. We have identified a TATA ASC in Pathankot and will keep them informed about our arrival.
When are you planning this trip? Also, are there any others or is it only you? If dates work out, I may be tempted to join in somewhere along the way (Amritsar, perhaps) and go up to Srinagar or a little beyond.

I just completed a 817km round trip up to Shimla and thereabouts. Overall FE including the climb up and down plus highway cruising (with ac) at 90-100kmph yielded 14.36kmpl. Vehicle did well, and was easy to maneuver in the tight roads up in Shimla and Chotti Shimla. It was also easy to reverse and turn around. ODO stands at 8038km as of now. Hoping and waiting for another trip to happen sometime soon.

BTW, the insulation tape trick had held up so far, over the entire 817km trip, which included some rough patches on the mountains. No rattle or squeak from any of the doors.
sasi405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2014, 18:24   #2599
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasi405 View Post
I would like the same functionality in the horn too. Maybe have an additional small horn at the back, which gets activated when in reverse and you can honk for people to move away.
Sasi, did you forget the reverse horns ?
condor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2014, 18:30   #2600
BHPian

Quote:

When are you planning this trip? Also, are there any others or is it only you? If dates work out, I may be tempted to join in somewhere along the way (Amritsar, perhaps) and go up to Srinagar or a little beyond.

I just completed a 817km round trip up to Shimla and thereabouts. Overall FE including the climb up and down plus highway cruising (with ac) at 90-100kmph yielded 14.36kmpl. Vehicle did well, and was easy to maneuver in the tight roads up in Shimla and Chotti Shimla. It was also easy to reverse and turn around. ODO stands at 8038km as of now. Hoping and waiting for another trip to happen sometime soon.

BTW, the insulation tape trick had held up so far, over the entire 817km trip, which included some rough patches on the mountains. No rattle or squeak from any of the doors.
Hey,
We are 4 people in Storme, only one vehicle. Yes you can join us. Good to hear your review on hilly roads behaviour and millege which is awsome.

I have completed 1200 km today and going for first service tomorrow, I got 14.1 on last fill.
Thar4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2014, 20:18   #2601
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Sasi, did you forget the reverse horns ?
What are the reverse horns? Not the beeper, I suppose? I want a normal horn that can be used from the steering wheel as and when needed.

Regarding hill driving, here are a couple of other observations:
1. I managed some very narrow one-vehicle roads upto my place of stay in Chotti Shimla, with just the ORVMs as guidance. Some of these were with high walls on either side. Some were narrow but sharp turns into lanes etc.
2. The horn is loud enough to be heard by others without being shrill. Liberal use of the horn is advised on hill roads, especially since it is a large vehicle.
3. The turning radius is superb; not only does it allow you to take tight hairpin bends in one go, it also allows you to park in spots that are just almost the size of the vehicle itself. I could also turn where Altos and 800s were turning.
4. The large glass area all around and the full view over the bonnet allow you to calculate turns very easily, as well as to give way to another vehicle on narrow roads. I am sure this was the case with the DICOR anyway, but with the small turning radius of the Storme, it becomes great use.
5. The handbrake does not instill confidence; better to use the gear as well while parking.
6. Despite the top heavy nature of the vehicle, my wife (who usually gets queasy) and my 5 month old baby didn't complain at all through the entire climb (up and down). The wide track aids in the stability, I suppose.
sasi405 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2014, 20:59   #2602
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
What are the reverse horns? Not the beeper, I suppose? I want a normal horn that can be used from the steering wheel as and when needed.
Sasi, can you:
1. Rig up a reverse horn setup
2. Swap that beeper with one you like
3. Parallel connection to a push-button on the dash.
condor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2014, 21:28   #2603
BHPian

Hi,
As is known, many "features" have been removed from the new batches of Storme. For example, the ambient air temperature is not displayed in the MID now. It just blinks showing 0 C. So is there a way to put an after market temperature sensor and connect it to the MID. Any pointers in that direction will be highly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
kaymant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2014, 10:59   #2604
BHPian

Quote:
I want a normal horn that can be used from the steering wheel as and when needed.
What an idea sir jee!
However the installation of reverse horn (which would sound through horn pad instead of front horn when in reverse) won't be as simple because you'll have to break the main horn circuit also, and using a relay (powered by reversing lamp) its power will be diverted to a new horn installed at rear.
Rather, I propose going for an independent horn switch for the rear horn thus preserving your warranties. Even I'll give it a try someday (already have two spare horns in my junkyard).

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaymant View Post
Hi,
So is there a way to put an after market temperature sensor and connect it to the MID.
No need to go for aftermarket temperature sensor. You can buy it from TATA as a genuine spare (of earlier Stormes) and get fitted at TASS. (confirmed it from SA during Ist service).

Last edited by YGarg : 23rd April 2014 at 11:00. Reason: Minor typo.
YGarg is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2014, 18:57   #2605
BHPian

Guys, The day is finally fast approaching for me. Booked Pearl White Safari Storme VX 4x2 on saturday, 19th April from Prerana motors by paying the token amount and applied for a loan from SBI which got approved today. I have requested delivery on 3rd May being an auspicious day for buying metal (Akshaya Tritiya) - I am really getting impatient and cant wait to lay my hands on a real beauty and the beast

Will post pics soon once i possess the vehicle!
lazybrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2014, 19:09   #2606
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazybrain View Post
Guys, The day is finally fast approaching for me. Booked Pearl White Safari Storme VX 4x2 on saturday, 19th April from Prerana motors by paying the token amount and applied for a loan from SBI which got approved today. I have requested delivery on 3rd May being an auspicious day for buying metal (Akshaya Tritiya) - I am really getting impatient and cant wait to lay my hands on a real beauty and the beast

Congrats lazybrain! The Storme (like the Bullet) is all about precious metal!!! Lots of metal .....
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2014, 22:00   #2607
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazybrain View Post
...or when the vehicle posesses you!!!

Congratulations and welcome to the tribe of posessed people!
sasi405 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2014, 10:19   #2608
BHPian

Thumbs up Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Rightly said.. There are few machines that Possess you and Drive you rather than other way round, and Storme is one of them.
YGarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2014, 10:25   #2609
BHPian

Had some time to kill yesterday at South Extn, New Delhi. Went to Tata Concorde showroom to check out the Storme. Must say that the layout of the showroom was quite impressive and the staff was attentive and appeared eager to sell the truck. The sales rep asked me a few questions on my intended usage and told me to buy the LX and not the EX / VX version.

He also told me that the VX 4x2 and 4x4 are also not coming with ICE now. I also checked for the availability of 160 BHP version to which he initially said that he has no idea. When I kind of queried him more and told him that I am interested in that version more than the current one, he replied by saying sir 2 months at least but please dont quote me on it.

Another interesting insight he gave me on the DICOR, said that it still has a lot of interests amongst potential buyers and issues related to spare wheel misalignment has been completely sorted out including the rattling due to U clip in the Storme. After market third row seats are available for Storme instead of the facing seats that are standard, however it may result in warranty getting void.

OT: I loved the Nano scale model on display at the showroom.
garyag79 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2014, 11:53   #2610
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyag79 View Post
After market third row seats are available for Storme instead of the facing seats that are standard, however it may result in warranty getting void.
Can you get us some details please, on where these seats are made/available, clear photos of an installed Storme if possible, and the cost? Would be really appreciated!

My kids love the current setup (its a proper picnic/party zone and my youngest will refuse to sit anywhere else - often we suddenly find her very quiet, and when we peep over the seat back of the middle row bench, we find her peacefuly sleeping on the floor clutching her teddy ) but I would like to check this option out as a fix and remove option for long drives (where it might be preferable).
ebonho is offline   Reply With Quote