Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2014, 22:19   #3166
BHPian
 
stormerider's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Pink City
Posts: 334
Thanked: 475 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunit5 View Post
Hi,



I also get similar noise even inside my cabin, earlier it was not noticeable inside cabin with windows rolled up but now I can hear...true it looks like boeing taking off... Last time I got this checked, SA said it is fine and with other vehicles too.



Seems, I need to visit you sometime so, you can drive mine and give me right prespective, of course if you have some time.



Are you planning to post your Ladakh trip photos.. I am waiting.

Yes we can surely meet up and check your vehicle.
Last month was too busy on professional front (due to the long trip) and personal front (daughter's first birthday). So still have to process a few images, will upload the Ladakh thread soon.
stormerider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2014, 19:25   #3167
Distinguished - BHPian
 
condor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Speed-brkr City
Posts: 9,826
Thanked: 2,939 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

There have been questions, some discussions & comments about the Storme's front seats, as compared to the Dicor's. The general feeling has been may be the Dicor's seat was better. The Storme's front seat has shorter / less under-thigh support, but was said to be comfortable.

Well, today I tried some cushion on the seat, so that the seat is not more flat than it was before. And I found it much more comfortable. Operating the clutch was also better, but that could be because of my height (5'8")

Can some one please try this ?
condor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2014, 12:30   #3168
Newbie
 
rajasitlhou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 15
Thanked: 16 Times
Default

I had taken delivery of my A.Black LX just about 2 weeks back from Malwa Automobiles, Delhi and on the way home from the showroom, I could hear a faint grinding noise from the gearbox so, I took it back to the showroom where they did a quick TD and said that it's normal for brand new vehicles and it should be fine by the time of the 1st service. I reluctantly agreed and left however, I took it to Delta Vehicle Support, a TASC ( as it's just next door ) and a senior tech TD'ed my vehicle and upon close inspection, he said that the clutch assembly needs to be changed as the 'grinding noise' is from the infamous CRB. I'm really shocked that a brand new vehicle has been diagnosed with a faulty clutch. I really wonder what they do in their PDI. Also, Delta said that it would be replaced under warranty ( Of course! ) however, it will take 15 days to source the part. Now all my plans to take off during the Independence Day weekend is messed up! By the way, my vehicle is a June 2014 manufactured model and that means that Tata hasn't sorted out the clutch issues in the Storme yet.
rajasitlhou is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2014, 15:11   #3169
BHPian
 
smsrini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 959
Thanked: 213 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
There have been questions, some discussions & comments about the Storme's front seats, as compared to the Dicor's. The general feeling has been may be the Dicor's seat was better. The Storme's front seat has shorter / less under-thigh support, but was said to be comfortable.

Well, today I tried some cushion on the seat, so that the seat is not more flat than it was before. And I found it much more comfortable. Operating the clutch was also better, but that could be because of my height (5'8")

Can some one please try this ?
This is what I felt when I TD-ed the Storme during their road show in Bangalore. Since I drive a 2.2 Dicor, and the immediate feel was that the Storme seats are less comfortable / hard / and did not hold you well.

The other thing I felt was that the steering dia was smaller and obstructed the view of the instrument console when the seat was at the lowest position and the steering at the highest.
smsrini is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2014, 16:23   #3170
BHPian
 
stormerider's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Pink City
Posts: 334
Thanked: 475 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
This is what I felt when I TD-ed the Storme during their road show in Bangalore. Since I drive a 2.2 Dicor, and the immediate feel was that the Storme seats are less comfortable / hard / and did not hold you well.

The other thing I felt was that the steering dia was smaller and obstructed the view of the instrument console when the seat was at the lowest position and the steering at the highest.
There were only 2 bad points, the other being the fuel tank(55 vs 65ltrs). Though this difference in seats is felt only when you migrate from safari to storme, otherwise the seats are good, even for the longest of drives.

As for the steering, it already fouls with thighs of so many people, couldnt be bigger i guess. Also seat in lowest position and steering in highest is the only setting we can utilize, so whats the point of giving adjustable?
stormerider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2014, 16:29   #3171
Senior - BHPian
 
ebonho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 3,942
Thanked: 3,170 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormerider View Post
Also seat in lowest position and steering in highest is the only setting we can utilize, so whats the point of giving adjustable?
I use both in highest. And cant see the top curve of the tacho at all.
ebonho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2014, 19:16   #3172
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 171
Thanked: 54 Times
Default

I am 5'8 and keep the seat at the lowest as well as farthest point. I also prefer to have the steering at the lowest level and I somehow love this position. Can't say the same about people inching around 6'.
storme'd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2014, 23:02   #3173
BHPian
 
aak91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 38
Thanked: 11 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by psurelia View Post
That is correct. The 2014 model has seen the following two downgrades.
  1. Music system is not a standard fitment anymore.
  2. Leather seats have been replaced with fabric seats.
My Storme is from the first lot of the 2014 model. I was surprised to see the downgrades at the time of delivery.



I, in fact, liked both the downgrades because
  1. The buyer now has the freedom of choosing a music system better than the below average quality stock Alpine unit.
  2. I think with a decent art leather seat cover, the fabric seats look almost the same as the leather ones and keep looking better in the long run. It does not require much maintenance and the buyer always has the option of changing the seat covers when they start looking bad.
The dealer had actually compensated me with a top spec'd Sony music system with 4 speakers and a set of good quality art leather seat cover since I was not intimated of the changes before the delivery date.
Thanks. You are lucky that you got compensated. My SA already informed me so i mite not be eligible for the compensation.

My decision is also tilting towards the Storme, after being confirmed by you in the Kolkata Monsoon Meet that this huge a car can be driven in Kolkata. So thanks once again.
aak91 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2014, 09:25   #3174
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Sheel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Purnea(Bihar)
Posts: 4,643
Thanked: 3,837 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
There have been questions, some discussions & comments about the Storme's front seats, as compared to the Dicor's. The general feeling has been may be the Dicor's seat was better. The Storme's front seat has shorter / less under-thigh support, but was said to be comfortable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormerider View Post
There were only 2 bad points, the other being the fuel tank(55 vs 65ltrs). Though this difference in seats is felt only when you migrate from safari to storme, otherwise the seats are good, even for the longest of drives.
Commenting not from a driver's perspective but as a passenger. Personally, I have felt Dicor as well as Storme's seat (front specifically) to have less space/short. Say wrt an Innova. It somehow doesn't feel as comfortable as other cars, even a Scorpio. But you won't realize it in short 50-100 kms drive. This gets highlighted on a long drive when you stretch or try to change your seating position.

Interestingly, I have driven the Storme more than Dicor and have been a passenger on the Dicor more than on the Storme.

Have shared an opinion and there is nothing to contest on this
Sheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2014, 12:43   #3175
Senior - BHPian
 
ebonho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 3,942
Thanked: 3,170 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Its official.

Women are spatially challenged!

What a BS start to the day. I'm getting ready for office and a hear a loud thwack!

Draw the curtains and see two women (my wife's patients) near a red hatchback looking at the back of my Storme.

Heart in my mouth I go out into my compound to check. The women meanwhile have gotten into their car and are driving out of my gate.

I hail them loudly and ask them to stop. Another patient near the gate also asks them to stop.

The woman has backed her car into the rear bumper of my Storme. The bumber has shifted from its position. The adhesive beading has come off. No scratches or dents I can make out on preliminary investigation. The rectangular fog light is agin broken off.

I ask the women how she can so blithely drive away after hitting someone's vehicle? She says "I'll pay for it. I was going to tell Dr. (my wife)"

Talk about classless people .........

I am so livid right now I drove like a maniac to office in a red mist!
ebonho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2014, 13:10   #3176
BHPian
 
lazybrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Bangalore/Mangalore
Posts: 191
Thanked: 91 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

I had a query to all storme owners and especially those who have availed Gold AMC with extended warranty from TML:

My storme has almost completed 4000 kms now and next week will be driving to shirdi from Bangalore which means i will be munching around 2000 kms during the entire drive. As per the manual my 2nd service is due when i complete 4500 - 5000 kms on the ODO. Now 2 scenarios i want to explain:

Scenario 1: Giving my storme for second service at 4000 kms itself.

Scenario 2: Coming back from Shirdi and giving my storme for second service.

IMO Scenario 2 is definitely not recommended since by the time i come back from Shirdi my ODO will be well past 6000 kms and this will Void my AMC.

Now for scenario 1 if i give my storme for 2nd service at 4000 kms itself will it not affect my AMC and extended warranty? Will TASC accept my vehicle for 2nd service when i am almost 500 kms away from my 2nd service as per manual?

Please advice guys!
lazybrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2014, 13:33   #3177
BHPian
 
stormerider's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Pink City
Posts: 334
Thanked: 475 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazybrain View Post
I had a query to all storme owners and especially those who have availed Gold AMC with extended warranty from TML:

My storme has almost completed 4000 kms now and next week will be driving to shirdi from Bangalore which means i will be munching around 2000 kms during the entire drive. As per the manual my 2nd service is due when i complete 4500 - 5000 kms on the ODO. Now 2 scenarios i want to explain:

Scenario 1: Giving my storme for second service at 4000 kms itself.

Scenario 2: Coming back from Shirdi and giving my storme for second service.

IMO Scenario 2 is definitely not recommended since by the time i come back from Shirdi my ODO will be well past 6000 kms and this will Void my AMC.

Now for scenario 1 if i give my storme for 2nd service at 4000 kms itself will it not affect my AMC and extended warranty? Will TASC accept my vehicle for 2nd service when i am almost 500 kms away from my 2nd service as per manual?

Please advice guys!
Give it prior to your trip. An early service is not a problem. Do not miss a schedule service. As it is this is a general checkup, if I remember correctly as the service intervals are of 15k kms.
stormerider is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2014, 14:23   #3178
Distinguished - BHPian
 
condor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Speed-brkr City
Posts: 9,826
Thanked: 2,939 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

@lazybrain,
Stormerider is correct. The 5k service is a general check up. Oil change is at 15k.

Give it for servicing before you go. TASS will accept it for servicing even at 3k, if you wanted to.

For the 15k service, please give it before 14.5k.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2014, 16:28   #3179
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Jaipur
Posts: 54
Thanked: 19 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajasitlhou View Post
I had taken delivery of my A.Black LX just about 2 weeks back from Malwa Automobiles, Delhi and on the way home from the showroom, I could hear a faint grinding noise from the gearbox so, I took it back to the showroom where they did a quick TD and said that it's normal for brand new vehicles and it should be fine by the time of the 1st service. I reluctantly agreed and left however, I took it to Delta Vehicle Support, a TASC ( as it's just next door ) and a senior tech TD'ed my vehicle and upon close inspection, he said that the clutch assembly needs to be changed as the 'grinding noise' is from the infamous CRB. I'm really shocked that a brand new vehicle has been diagnosed with a faulty clutch. I really wonder what they do in their PDI. Also, Delta said that it would be replaced under warranty ( Of course! ) however, it will take 15 days to source the part. Now all my plans to take off during the Independence Day weekend is messed up! By the way, my vehicle is a June 2014 manufactured model and that means that Tata hasn't sorted out the clutch issues in the Storme yet.
Hi Raja,

Welcome to Storme !!! There are few issues however sheer pleasure of driving it when all is fixed can't be explained. You can try another ASC where part is available.

Hope you remember me from RBS...
sunit5 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2014, 17:08   #3180
BHPian
 
psurelia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 233
Thanked: 425 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by aak91 View Post
Thanks. You are lucky that you got compensated. My SA already informed me so i mite not be eligible for the compensation.

My decision is also tilting towards the Storme, after being confirmed by you in the Kolkata Monsoon Meet that this huge a car can be driven in Kolkata. So thanks once again.
Don't feel sorry about the downgrades. Once you start driving it, I am sure they won't matter much because the driving pleasure and ride comfort is so great.

BTW, if you want, we can meet up some time and experience it hands on.
psurelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tata Safari Storme 4x4 : Official Review tsk1979 Official New Car Reviews 198 26th November 2015 19:02


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 15:21.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks