Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 2nd October 2014, 19:36   #3436
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storme_on_d_way View Post
Test vehicles are abused a lot plus storme suspension feels a bit stiffer when its new but gets butter smooth at the 10k service mark

Its not question of being stiff. The vehicle kinda did a jig or a shake rather than smoothly going over the rough patch. I think i am able to describe what i mean. The Linea is rock steady.
Palio_2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2014, 20:23   #3437
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palio_2005 View Post
Its not question of being stiff. The vehicle kinda did a jig or a shake rather than smoothly going over the rough patch. I think i am able to describe what i mean. The Linea is rock steady.
An SUV handles rough roads very differently from a sedan. So don't compare especially because a Linea is supposed to be the gold standard for ride/handling optimisation. Its also untrue that if you are in a Storme, over any surface you just glide. Its difficult to explain in a forum. Just try different TD vehicles at different dealerships, check if there is an member in your town whose vehicle you can try out and then make an informed choice.

Last edited by narayan : 2nd October 2014 at 20:25.
narayan is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2014, 22:42   #3438
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

@Palio_2005,
+1 to the comments by Narayan. If you are going to compare two vehicles in this way, then you are very likely to be disappointed with which ever the other vehicle. It may make more sense for you to continue with the Linea which you seem to be very comfortable with.
condor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2014, 23:22   #3439
BHPian

narayan,condor thanks for your comments. i know a SUV will handle totally differently as compared to a sedan and Linea is indeed a gold standard in ride and handling. Will check it with my friend who has a Storme.
Old 3rd October 2014, 03:30   #3440
BHPian

Quote:
I guess its those small to medium sized potholes and irregularities on the road that a suv can conquer with ease compared to a sedan , primarily because of the huge tyres and a more abuse friendly suspension setup. Even i have been driving all sedans so far and the road manners are so very different.
Storme_on_d_way is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2014, 11:37   #3441
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The sideways jig of the rear end, when going at speed over an uneven patch (like a rumble strip of small undulations) is typical in a Safari as well as a Storme. The first few times its a bit scary, now I have gotten use to it, know exactly how the rear end is going to behave, and am thus expecting it and compensate for it. No hassles.

Is that what you are talking about?
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2014, 19:23   #3442
BHPian

@ebonho.. that's exactly what I am talking about.. the bum shake.. now that I know it's normal one will learn to anticipate it like you did.
Old 6th October 2014, 20:37   #3443
Senior - BHPian

Just back from a 1700km round trip over the last 3 days. Took the beast up to some nice speeds ( at the cost of FE ). ODO is shy of 25k kms now. Will update my ownership thread in a few days.
narayan is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2014, 00:47   #3444
BHPian

Back from Karwar trip just yesterday. 1400 kms munched during the trip over 4 days. The beast handled impressively during a mix of expressway and 2 lane state highway drive.

While returning from Karwar took a diversion to the right from Yellapura which saved me at least 30 kms and i joined the NH4 expressway around 30 plus kms ahead of Hubli towards Bangalore.

This is the exact route i opted for:
https://www.google.co.in/maps/dir/Ka...1d76.4!2d14.23

In the above stretch i came across some worst to non-existing roads inside very dense Yellapura forest and i am extremely pleased the way my storme handled. it was a real efficiency test for my storme in terms of handling the worst i must admit

IMO every storme owner when they get opportunity should definitely try such kind of roads.

This is the first long drive of my life wherein i drove 650 kms. from Karwar to Bangalore almost non-stop with just 1 lunch break. all credit to the storme for providing best driving comfort. Not even once i felt like stopping to stretch my legs

I know this post is worthless without any pics but really didnt get anytime for photography session!

Yes BTW total kms. on ODO now around 9000 kms. since 5 months of buying storme and still going strong without even a minor issue or niggle.
lazybrain is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2014, 08:13   #3445
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazybrain View Post
In the above stretch i came across some worst to non-existing roads inside very dense Yellapura forest and i am extremely pleased the way my storme handled.
Lb - do keep visually checking the shocks for any leakages given that quite a few of us have gotten it replaced under warranty.
narayan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2014, 10:31   #3446
BHPian

7000 km on the odo in 4 months, zero niggles touchwood. Something magical happened the moment odo touched 7k, the clutch has become even more smooth and the engine relatively less rattle free. I infact for a moment thought that the clutch has gone but its engaging disengaging perfectly without the slight khat khat sound. Should I be happy or am I missing something??
garyag79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2014, 12:42   #3447
BHPian

I returned from 2400 km trip of Jaldapara reserve forest and Bhutan. No issues except slow rolling of front left glass due to dust. The vehicle has crossed 10k kms in 6.5 months. Extremely satisfied so far.
psurelia is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2014, 14:04   #3448
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazybrain View Post
Back from Karwar trip just yesterday. 1400 kms munched during the trip over 4 days. The beast handled impressively during a mix of expressway and 2 lane state highway drive.
Good to hear that most of the Storme owners are happy with the long drive and bad road handling capability of Storme which is inherited from Safari.

I have witnessed this capability of my Storme in my Leh trip where we covered 7500 km in 12 days on different roads like 6 lane highways to the topmost passes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
Lb - do keep visually checking the shocks for any leakages given that quite a few of us have gotten it replaced under warranty.
So do we need to go below the vehicle to check or there will be oil drops in parking if there is any leakage. Any other symptoms?

BTW
I am facing a major neck pain when I drive my Storme be it 10 km or 1000 km. I am facing this issue from the day one however I ignored it for last 7 months considering that it will take time to get comfortable position with vehicle however this problem is still there.

I came from Thar CRDe which I used for 1.3 yrs and using Estilo for last 7 years have experience with riding bike for long distance however I never faced this type of issue with driving style. I visited my Dr twice and he advised me some neck exercise however that is not helping. Parked Storme for long 1 month and used other 2 vehicles in garage and the pain vanished without medicine or exercise but again came back on last weekend when I took Storme for a spine of 300 km.

My Strome is EX which has seat height adjustment, I have tried all the different positions.
Now I am helpless about my seating position, anyone suffering/suffered from this type of issue ?
Thar4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2014, 14:11   #3449
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thar4x4 View Post
So do we need to go below the vehicle to check or there will be oil drops in parking if there is any leakage. Any other symptoms?

BTW
I am facing a major neck pain when I drive my Storme be it 10 km or 1000 km.

You can just look under the vehicle at the shocks and if its leaking dust would have got stuck to shocks. I don't think shocks will leak so much that oil can be spotted on the ground.

on your neck pain issue..

1) Is your driving style different when you drive the Storme ? Do you go faster over uneven roads/undulations when you drive the Storme as against the other vehicles ?
2) Is your back rest in a laid back position ? Try bringing it to an almost vertical posture ( slightly inclined backwards )
3) Try a neck pillow
narayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2014, 14:18   #3450
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
You can just look under the vehicle at the shocks and if its leaking dust would have got stuck to shocks. I don't think shocks will leak so much that oil can be spotted on the ground.

on your neck pain issue..

1) Is your driving style different when you drive the Storme ? Do you go faster over uneven roads/undulations when you drive the Storme as against the other vehicles ?
2) Is your back rest in a laid back position ? Try bringing it to an almost vertical posture ( slightly inclined backwards )
3) Try a neck pillow
Ok, I will check.

1. Yes may be but not faster on bad road however I drive Strome cautiously as it is big vehicle considering my earlier vehicles Thar and Estilo.
2. Yes, bit laid back position. I tried vertical but then lower back get stiffness.
3. I purchased one but not sure where it should touch. The head or neck? It is touching head right now as it do not come down till neck.

Last edited by Thar4x4 : 7th October 2014 at 14:36.
Thar4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote