Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 4th November 2014, 11:03   #3571
Senior - BHPian
 
ebonho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 3,942
Thanked: 3,170 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Yes I think you are mistaken , The plastic cowl of the bumper collapses for passenger safety and there is good 8 - 9 inch of space for it to collapse much more then any other car I have seen.

Remove bumper of any European car and you will see steel reinforcement ( actual bumper). There is a thread on T-BHP somewhere which shows difference betweeen European spec Swift and Indian Swift bumpers.
Amit did you see the link posted by @methecupid ? Can you confirm if the steel beam seen in the photo in the Storme is the same thickness / dimensions as that found on the Dicor as mentioned by you?
ebonho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2014, 11:07   #3572
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,018
Thanked: 360 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Amit did you see the link posted by @methecupid ? Can you confirm if the steel beam seen in the photo in the Storme is the same thickness / dimensions as that found on the Dicor as mentioned by you?
That link opens up explorer edition kit pictures on page 165 of the thread in my browser.

Could you please repost the image using image tag ( second from the left over the edit box )
amitk26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2014, 11:08   #3573
Senior - BHPian
 
ebonho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 3,942
Thanked: 3,170 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Could you please repost the image using image tag ( second from the left over the edit box )
Sure ..

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...w-img_2102.jpg
ebonho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2014, 11:31   #3574
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,018
Thanked: 360 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Since this is a front view I can not judge the thickness exactly but the metal cross bar is there and if you notice there is material to absorb impact glued on the metal as well.

In Dicor this cross bar is really strong.
amitk26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2014, 13:05   #3575
Senior - BHPian
 
ebonho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 3,942
Thanked: 3,170 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Since this is a front view I can not judge the thickness exactly but the metal cross bar is there and if you notice there is material to absorb impact glued on the metal as well.

In Dicor this cross bar is really strong.
I kind of assumed (it looked like it) that it was part of the metal cross beam itself and made of metal (maybe hollow with in-built crumple zones - as evidenced by the oval shaped holes visible in front).
ebonho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2014, 13:29   #3576
BHPian
 
yogeshnaik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 311
Thanked: 40 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
It is a misconception/myth that a heavier vehicle is a safer vehicle. The thinkness of sheetmetal is irrelavant to safety in a car. They key is to to have a proper frame and crumple zones. The heaviness of the bonnet doesn't matter.
Vehicle frame strength and crumple zones are the main elements that constitute to the safety of the vehicle. But, I partially disagree with misconception/myth that has been described for heaviness and the metal sheet gauge contributing to safety of the vehicle.

Japanese and Korean auto manufacturers, use thin metal sheets for doors, bonnet, rear lid etc., to reduce the weight of the car to have high power-to-weight ratio to have better performance and fuel economy. Some Q&A forums say they do have stronger frame/chassis inside and the exterior doors, bonnet, fenders are just skins and add weight to the vehicle is unnecessary. But in actual scenario, if the metal sheet gauge is more, then small pebbles to big stones that impact when a vehicle is in motion do ample amount of damage to these thin skins. Indian Auto Manufacturers like TATA and Mahindra do use high gauge metal sheet.

As an example, some person threw a stone of size 9 to 10 cubic inches approximately (relatively large., should be around 8 to 10 Kg by weight) on my Vista's bonnet when it was parked outside. I had a dent on my bonnet, and the depression of the dent was not much which surprised me when compared to other cars. Heavy gauge bonnet does save engine components and battery in the bay. German (VW), Italian (FIAT) auto manufacturers do use heavy gauge metal sheet. If you consider our Ambassador car, the rate of passengers getting hurt in case of accidents is less. Japanese and Korean cars are sometimes seen where the doors/fenders/read boot lid metal are crumpled/torn with slight impact. These look like if you fold a medicine tablet's aluminium wrapper having multiple crumples. Removal of such dents or repair of these skin components are difficult and may not come to that shape as it was before and the service adviser will advise you for a replacement.

A vehicle should have some substantial weight, but the weight should not be reduced for visualizing for cost reductions, fuel economy at the cost of passenger's safety. Light vehicles when compared to heavy vehicles do spin more in case of a terminal collision. Again there are lots of parameters where the crumple zones of the chassis absorb impact energy.

When we talk about TATA Safari a SUV should has some weight, the high metal gauge adds as an armor to it. It should be like a tank, that is the way it should be.
yogeshnaik is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2014, 02:41   #3577
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 171
Thanked: 54 Times
Default

Guys after a fairly trouble free run for the last couple of months, the check engine light came on a while back on my way to the airport. After restarting the car, the light disappeared. What could be the possible reason / reasons for the same. Will try and get the same checked tomorrow. Anyone else experienced similar stuff?
storme'd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2014, 06:23   #3578
Distinguished - BHPian
 
condor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Speed-brkr City
Posts: 9,812
Thanked: 2,919 Times
Default

@Strome'd, yes - I did have it once a few months ago. Some cleaning at the TASS resolved it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
(There was a photo some time back by a member here whose Storme had the front bumper ripped off. I am trying to remember who it was and where I saw it)
Doc - was it Fortuner71's Storme ?

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 6th November 2014 at 12:15.
condor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2014, 09:23   #3579
rkg
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: bangalore
Posts: 973
Thanked: 431 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogeshnaik View Post
Vehicle frame strength and crumple zones are the main elements that constitute to the safety of the vehicle. But, I partially disagree with misconception/myth that has been described for heaviness and the metal sheet gauge contributing to safety of the vehicle.

Japanese and Korean auto manufacturers, use thin metal sheets for doors, bonnet, rear lid etc., to reduce the weight of the car to have high power-to-weight ratio to have better performance and fuel economy. Some Q&A forums say they do have stronger frame/chassis inside and the exterior doors, bonnet, fenders are just skins and add weight to the vehicle is unnecessary. But in actual scenario, if the metal sheet gauge is more, then small pebbles to big stones that impact when a vehicle is in motion do ample amount of damage to these thin skins. Indian Auto Manufacturers like TATA and Mahindra do use high gauge metal sheet.

As an example, some person threw a stone of size 9 to 10 cubic inches approximately (relatively large., should be around 8 to 10 Kg by weight) on my Vista's bonnet when it was parked outside. I had a dent on my bonnet, and the depression of the dent was not much which surprised me when compared to other cars. Heavy gauge bonnet does save engine components and battery in the bay. German (VW), Italian (FIAT) auto manufacturers do use heavy gauge metal sheet. If you consider our Ambassador car, the rate of passengers getting hurt in case of accidents is less. Japanese and Korean cars are sometimes seen where the doors/fenders/read boot lid metal are crumpled/torn with slight impact. These look like if you fold a medicine tablet's aluminium wrapper having multiple crumples. Removal of such dents or repair of these skin components are difficult and may not come to that shape as it was before and the service adviser will advise you for a replacement.

A vehicle should have some substantial weight, but the weight should not be reduced for visualizing for cost reductions, fuel economy at the cost of passenger's safety. Light vehicles when compared to heavy vehicles do spin more in case of a terminal collision. Again there are lots of parameters where the crumple zones of the chassis absorb impact energy.

When we talk about TATA Safari a SUV should has some weight, the high metal gauge adds as an armor to it. It should be like a tank, that is the way it should be.
Talking of sheet metal strength, here is my experience
My Indica Vista was parked in my office parking lot. My colleague tried to park his i10 next to mine. He was at a speed of not more than 5-10kmph. i10's left front fender touched my Vista's right front fender in a narrow reverse V angel. My car got slight paint of i10(red) rubbed at the top of wheel well, nothing else. His fender got deformed and head light assembly disengaged. He had to replace both.
rkg is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2014, 11:37   #3580
Senior - BHPian
 
ebonho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 3,942
Thanked: 3,170 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Doc - was it Fortuner71's Storme ?
No buddy, it was Vipul's .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by methecupid View Post
Please help me with my USB drive issue bro .... from the sudden stoppages of playing with 1969 or 1970 appearing on the display (resuming playing after gaps), now it simply keeps showing SEARCHING which finally culminates in NO DEVICE.

The Tuner and Disc are playing great. No problems there.

Last edited by ebonho : 6th November 2014 at 11:40.
ebonho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2014, 12:13   #3581
Distinguished - BHPian
 
condor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Speed-brkr City
Posts: 9,812
Thanked: 2,919 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
ebonho (Tata Safari Storme : Official Review) : No buddy, it was Vipul's .....
Thanks .. I was refering to Fortuner's Storme when the bumper was opened for some constructive work ..
condor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2014, 12:43   #3582
Senior - BHPian
 
lohithrao's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Kudla/Mangaluru
Posts: 3,107
Thanked: 153 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Any updates on Storme facelift? what am hearing lately is that the launch maybe in mid 2015 and thier may not be any engine update.

One of my friend is planning to book and was hoping the launch may happen sometime in Jan, but if there is going to be any delay or no engine update he may rather book the current one immediately.

The delay will certainly cost TATA many prospective customers.

Behram Sir, please update us ?
lohithrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2014, 15:20   #3583
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Madras
Posts: 588
Thanked: 138 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

I am negotiating with my dealer on the Storme. Need one help from the members who have opted for Gold AMC.

Our BHP'ian tsk1979 had posted the Gold AMC prices way back in July 2013. I received the AMC from my dealer. But the matrix is very different. The price for 10,000Kms./1 Yr. almost match, but the prices are substantially higher. Can someone please throw some light. Is the Gold AMC dealer specific or TML decides the prices?

Gold-New is what my dealer has sent me. Gold (the table below) is what tsk1979 had posted.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-goldamc.jpg  

hyper-VTEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2014, 18:41   #3584
BHPian
 
neel385's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Kharagpur
Posts: 492
Thanked: 185 Times
Default

Need to have mine serviced. Any suggestions on where in Siliguri? As in does anyone have an idea on which TASS is more reliable?
neel385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2014, 12:15   #3585
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Kottayam
Posts: 1,080
Thanked: 149 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyper-VTEC View Post
I am negotiating with my dealer on the Storme. Need one help from the members who have opted for Gold AMC.

Our BHP'ian tsk1979 had posted the Gold AMC prices way back in July 2013. I received the AMC from my dealer. But the matrix is very different. The price for 10,000Kms./1 Yr. almost match, but the prices are substantially higher. Can someone please throw some light. Is the Gold AMC dealer specific or TML decides the prices?

Gold-New is what my dealer has sent me. Gold (the table below) is what tsk1979 had posted.
==================================
20,000 | 30,000 | 45,000
1 | 2 | 3
==================================
New 6800 | 15,200 | 38,500
Old 9976 | 14,715 | 37,332
===================================

So it is not drastically different, but a very slight increase from last year. Notice the number of kilometers allowed for both. No of years does not make much difference in price; but the number of kilometers allowed during the period does.

Last edited by teamveevee : 11th November 2014 at 12:17.
teamveevee is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tata Safari Storme 4x4 : Official Review tsk1979 Official New Car Reviews 198 26th November 2015 19:02


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 23:33.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks