Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 15th January 2013, 16:25   #376
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 94
Thanked: 120 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by the VTEC guy View Post
This is good. Tata's are looking to load the VX with more features. I am sure a double din in dash is not far away.



Tata's do have a front facing version of the Storme engineered and ready. Sure its not for India. I think this was showcased in Geneva. From what the pics suggest is these are front facing side folding jump seats. European market requires front facing as per regulation. however what is not sure is why doesn't Tata want to offer this in India. They can even try it as option.
Heres the picture-

Thanks a ton VTEC guy !!
Great to see the pics, the 3rd row seat looks odd but still, something!
Now I have something to confront V from TML and demand an answer.
And yes, why won't Tata offer this in India. One more enigma of the Tata way
Musa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2013, 16:27   #377
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Chennai
Posts: 86
Thanked: 91 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
Its not about just putting the seats that way. A whole process of ARAI regulation, licenses and what not needs to be done if you are changing somethings. Its a whole new project.

Believe me its quite easy to convert those 2 seats. Its no rocket science and not a big deal. If i remember right Pavan Kadam did it in his safari.

I don't really understand. As per your inputs it is easy enough to fit front facing seats but Tata Motors would not be able to do the same due to some ARAI certification ?

As per my understanding , for the Storme the chassis is new , brakes are new , mechanical underpinnings are different , Steering is new, everything else is tweaked and TML can get ARAI certification for all those changes easily but cannot get certified for changing the orientation of the last row of seats from side to front since changing that it would make it a new project (assuming all mechanical/electrical/braking changes would not constitute as new project in itself)?

If true , then ARAI then truly does work in mysterious ways.
Aceman82 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2013, 17:20   #378
Senior - BHPian
 
ebonho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 3,942
Thanked: 3,170 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

The reason is simple - its not a regulatory requirement in India. In the EU it is.

From what I have heard, the front facing seats are there just to meet regulatory requirements in the countries the Storme will be sold in within the EU.

In actuality, they are not comfortable -when compared to the jump seats. So that's something.

What immediately strikes is the humongous headrests and the almost non-existant clearance from the floor.
ebonho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2013, 17:32   #379
Senior - BHPian
 
amit_mechengg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,306
Thanked: 967 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceman82 View Post
I don't really understand. As per your inputs it is easy enough to fit front facing seats but Tata Motors would not be able to do the same due to some ARAI certification ?

As per my understanding , for the Storme the chassis is new , brakes are new , mechanical underpinnings are different , Steering is new, everything else is tweaked and TML can get ARAI certification for all those changes easily but cannot get certified for changing the orientation of the last row of seats from side to front since changing that it would make it a new project (assuming all mechanical/electrical/braking changes would not constitute as new project in itself)?

If true , then ARAI then truly does work in mysterious ways.
To explain in better i exactly dont have the ARIA standards and the rules with me right now. I had a list earlier which i am not able to find.

The cues come from the very old fact that Grande, was called as SUMO Grande, this new Merlin called as SAFARI Storme, Vista called as INDICA VISTA, Manza called as INDIGO MANZA.

When the necessary certifications and permissions are sought after by any manufacturer they file the documents under various sections of ARAI.

For example the Safari shell remains the same. So the old rollover safety, seating, position of seat belts etc passes under the same old certification which was obtained. Similarly engine , chassis, steering mechanism have different rules and tagged as upgrades/ similar and passed off.

For the very fact that i would like to bring out to you guys is that if tata wants to offer LX model 4X4 , they have to go through ARAI process again.


My point is very simple : You get a very good SUV with immense offroading capabilities than a XUV or Captiva or similar, why not just fit a front facing 3rd row yourself? Even looking at the pictures its simple.
amit_mechengg is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2013, 18:56   #380
Distinguished - BHPian
 
condor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Speed-brkr City
Posts: 9,812
Thanked: 2,919 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
For the very fact that i would like to bring out to you guys is that if tata wants to offer LX model 4X4 , they have to go through ARAI process again.
So does it mean that we could hope for a EX 4x4 or a GX 4x4 ?
condor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2013, 19:07   #381
Senior - BHPian
 
amit_mechengg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,306
Thanked: 967 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
So does it mean that we could hope for a EX 4x4 or a GX 4x4 ?
Depending on the validity of the certification yes. Need to check with them once. I checked only for LX as i was too much interested in LX as i dint have much budget
amit_mechengg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2013, 19:25   #382
Distinguished - BHPian
 
condor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Speed-brkr City
Posts: 9,812
Thanked: 2,919 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

A EX 4x4 would be a hit, IMO
condor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2013, 20:18   #383
Senior - BHPian
 
safari_lover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Bengaluru / Bagdal
Posts: 1,050
Thanked: 353 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
The cues come from the very old fact that Grande, was called as SUMO Grande, this new Merlin called as SAFARI Storme, Vista called as INDICA VISTA, Manza called as INDIGO MANZA.

When the necessary certifications and permissions are sought after by any manufacturer they file the documents under various sections of ARAI.
OT: Did Tata add words like 'Indica', 'Ingdio' to Vista, Manza to avoid the bureaucracy?
safari_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2013, 20:40   #384
Senior - BHPian
 
amit_mechengg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,306
Thanked: 967 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by safari_lover View Post
OT: Did Tata add words like 'Indica', 'Ingdio' to Vista, Manza to avoid the bureaucracy?
there is a big story behind it. Cannot discuss it in this thread. There is enough money saving too involved in it.
amit_mechengg is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2013, 20:40   #385
Senior - BHPian
 
Lukeskywalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,395
Thanked: 1,141 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Got to drive the Storme for 3 days and over 1500 kms covering Bangalore and Goa, the vehicle just blew me away with it's on road dynamics, for all those sceptics, it is miles ahead of the current Safari and feels completely different. One of the most enjoyable drives I've had inspite of not keeping good health. Will put up a travelogue/drive experience once I recover from a bad bout of illness. We were a group of 3 tbhpians and their familes in 3 cars including the Storme, I'm sure they will share their inputs as well. Keep watching.
Lukeskywalker is offline   (12) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2013, 20:55   #386
Distinguished - BHPian
 
condor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Speed-brkr City
Posts: 9,812
Thanked: 2,919 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
Cannot discuss it in this thread. There is enough money saving too involved in it.
The name's fine, but the looooks !

Having driven the Aria, I found the Storme to behave as well as the Aria. Goes to prove the under-pinnings. I just wish the looks were refershed too. They could have still named it as the Safari Storme - Just like how the Grande was called Sumo Grande.
condor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2013, 20:57   #387
Senior - BHPian
 
Latheesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bangalore/Kannur
Posts: 2,709
Thanked: 1,722 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
there is a big story behind it. Cannot discuss it in this thread. There is enough money saving too involved in it.
I have seen many posts in this forum and others for front facing third row in Safari. If there is demand in market why not invest to meet them?. These ARAI certification complications are difficult to meet for new players but for a company like TML it may not be that difficult isn't it?

Or moving spare wheel underneath made it difficult for designing comfortable third row?
Latheesh is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2013, 20:58   #388
Senior - BHPian
 
amit_mechengg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,306
Thanked: 967 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
The name's fine, but the looooks !

Having driven the Aria, I found the Storme to behave as well as the Aria. Goes to prove the under-pinnings. I just wish the looks were refershed too. They could have still named it as the Safari Storme - Just like how the Grande was called Sumo Grande.
Well many still love the looks of old safari. I dont feel the looks of storme are bad. Whenever you see the storme coming over a curve or the stance sideways it looks very good.

Interiors are refreshed so is exterior to lot of extent. Rear looks quite different and unique. The muscle from a tilted front angle looks too good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
I have seen many posts in this forum and others for front facing third row in Safari. If there is demand in market why not invest to meet them?. These ARAI certification complications are difficult to meet for new players but for a company like TML it may not be that difficult isn't it?

Or moving spare wheel underneath made it difficult for designing comfortable third row?

The 3rd seat on many SUVs still remain a joke. The jump seats are better than those. And mainly with jump seat and just 5 travelling in a SUV you get enormous space to pack in the whole package of may be a LEH LAdakh trip

Last edited by amit_mechengg : 15th January 2013 at 21:01.
amit_mechengg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2013, 21:12   #389
Distinguished - BHPian
 
condor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Speed-brkr City
Posts: 9,812
Thanked: 2,919 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
I dont feel the looks of storme are bad.

Interiors are refreshed so is exterior to lot of extent. Rear looks quite different and unique. The muscle from a tilted front angle looks too good.
Not enough ! No where close !
If the Grande could get new looks, and everything else new, so could the Storme !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
Whenever you see the storme coming over a curve or the stance sideways it looks very good
The best is the view from above, front 3/q - in Urban Bronze - as seen on the brochure.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2013, 21:22   #390
Senior - BHPian
 
amit_mechengg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,306
Thanked: 967 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Not enough ! No where close !
If the Grande could get new looks, and everything else new, so could the Storme !!

The best is the view from above, front 3/q - in Urban Bronze - as seen on the brochure.
Well initially one would feel something odd about the Storme. But if you looks closely at even the pictures of Storme - leave apart seeing in flesh with a bit positive you will definitely love the looks. Below are some pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-tatasafaristormetestdrivereview.jpg  

Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-2012tatasafaristormesuv15.jpg  

Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-tatasafaristormebooking.jpg  

Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-newtatasafaristorme2012images.jpg  

Attached Images
   
amit_mechengg is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tata Safari Storme 4x4 : Official Review tsk1979 Official New Car Reviews 198 26th November 2015 19:02


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 01:33.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks