Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 9th June 2015, 19:10   #4171
BHPian
 
Bigzero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 338
Thanked: 149 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Walked into the Tata showroom to check out the Storme - the display car in white looked good, and interiors looked quite nice in black, definitely much better than the earlier Storme.

Much more pleasant to sit in. Of course rough edges do remain, The edge of the door panel on the curved part towards the bottom was looking a bit half-done or exposed.. it was neither, but somehow looked that way. just some of those small things.

Nothing can beat the experience of climbing on to a Safari and I had a grin on my face as I sat in the drivers seat. Its like the top floor of a house compared to my humble i20 :-)

Anyways already lot of reports have come in on what the car has and what it doesnt. What suddenly struck me was that this car was a cool two lakhs cheaper than the XUV at similar trim ( say top end 4X2. ) . Of course XUV has a lot of additional gizmos, but then you can do some good things for a lakh and still have a lakh in your pocket.

Of course only if you want to use it as a 5-seater. I tried sitting on the jump seat in the rear for the first time ( missed doing that the last time when the storme was released ). Getting in itself is a major exercise, and my head touched the ceiling. Very clearly, only for small kids, and that too for those city rides. I cant imagine having my kids sit there on long highway rides. So for me Safari is strictlly a 5 seater.

Which brings it into direct comparison with the Duster. Its somewhat like comparing an elephant with a cow though!

Anyways, I think I am now more confused than I was before I walked into the showroom. Perhaps I will wait for the Creta (!) and the SCross to be released and do an overall analysis. Yes thats what the head says.

But the heart.... I almost said yes when I sat behind the wheel of the beast. Such is the pull on ones heart.

I had to test drive it, and I asked the sales guy. "Why sure!" he said and filled up the chit for test drive.

In a while he announced that the test drive car is waiting outside, and we walked out eagerly.... only to see an old Storme with some green decals waiting for us!

"This is the old one!" I said. Apparently they dont have the test drive vehicle yet. What a disappointment.

But will I lose an opportunity to drive the beast? no way, so off I went, enjoying the drive. Though it was the old one, the drive itself was good enough to remind me of all the long road trips that awaited me, and my wife could sense that I was beginning to fall for it..

Anyways , once the test drive was done, it was back to cool-headed analysis (?), and I have now decided to wait for a month for the new models to come out.

But the beast is waiting there , and I know perhaps this is the time... one might not see another refresh... sigh!

Last edited by Bigzero : 9th June 2015 at 19:12.
Bigzero is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2015, 22:23   #4172
BHPian
 
Black_Beast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Chennai
Posts: 80
Thanked: 13 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Where I feel they have not improved enough or sometimes (subjectively) probably slipped back a bit :

The looks (including the tailgate wheel)

The fuel capacity (now addressed I think)

The inability to hold alignment indefinitely (or at times even achieve it)

The weight

The 3rd row still not front facing, still short of a proper 7 seater
TATA took so many years to make these improvements, i wonder how many years more they would need to complete rest of the improvements
Black_Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2015, 23:03   #4173
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Chennai
Posts: 115
Thanked: 67 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Beast View Post
TATA took so many years to make these improvements, i wonder how many years more they would need to complete rest of the improvements
I do not understand the negativity surrounding TATA vehicles, especially their shape. Lets look at other manufacturers who have retained their design for a long time.

Maruti
800 - till it was axed was almost similar.
Swift - Same since its launch. Though the vehicle is new, the shape remains.
Gypsy and omni - What should I say.

Hyundai
Santro - Almost same till it was axed.

Mahindra
Scorpio - Only cosmetic changes over the years. I do not see anyone complaining.

Toyota
Qualis and Innova - they were running with just facelifts and innova still continues.

The list can go on.

The only manufacturer I can see that has changed the design significantly in 5 to 6 years is Honda. Even the premium brands Audi, BMW or Merc retain the shape and tweak around the minor parts.

When the first vehicle looks beautiful, why should it be changed?

Don't we all agree certain designs like our very own Amby, Beetle or 911 are timeless and hate when their design changes.

The other niggles are getting addressed, maybe at a slower pace. There is no vehicle which can claim to be perfect without any problems. So there is no point in isolating a manufacturer from the rest.

Safari is probably the only vehicle which has evolved in front of us. Lets enjoy the ride and support in further improving the product.
varunanb is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2015, 06:57   #4174
BHPian
 
Black_Beast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Chennai
Posts: 80
Thanked: 13 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunanb View Post
Safari is probably the only vehicle which has evolved in front of us. Lets enjoy the ride and support in further improving the product.
I am not against TATA, indeed they are good and even if the Storme is not fully up with few requirements from different buyers. It still keeps everyone happy.
I was just saying on how long they are taking to hit a point where all the checkboxes are ticked.

Two years back when i was looking to buy a SUV/Cross i have tried XUV, Duster, Scorpio, EcoSport and my cousin has Fortuner. After driving all this I gave a TD on old Safari in 2013. And i found something which is missing in all other vehicles, it just like Love have to feel after driving this Car. And I was waiting from then for the Facelift to Launch. Just a proper 7 seater I would be more happy than today, nevertheless I would buy Storme
Black_Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2015, 08:47   #4175
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: mumbai
Posts: 1,893
Thanked: 1,779 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Most of the criticisms have flowed from people who have never owned a Safari/Storme or even intend to buy one. There are myriad reasons and excuses to either buy or not buy any car on earth, but in case of the Safari, people admire it for various reasons, but many times, constraints like family size, utility, space, parking or even finances prevent people from owning it. It is like owning a Mahindra Thar or a Royal Enfield bullet, people lust for it, but may not be interested in maintaining it.
But for people sitting on the fence regarding the Safari, my take is, please go for the car, it is nothing like how the naysayers say it is, it is easy to maintain, just add diesel and go for all regular services, it is a pleasure to own and drive, easy to maneuver in the city, people make way for you and parking is not a hassle.
apachelongbow is offline   (8) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2015, 09:58   #4176
BHPian
 
Bigzero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 338
Thanked: 149 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
Most of the criticisms have flowed from people who have never owned a Safari/Storme or even intend to buy one. There are myriad reasons and excuses to either buy or not buy any car on earth, but in case of the Safari, people admire it for various reasons, but many times, constraints like family size, utility, space, parking or even finances prevent people from owning it. It is like owning a Mahindra Thar or a Royal Enfield bullet, people lust for it, but may not be interested in maintaining it.
But for people sitting on the fence regarding the Safari, my take is, please go for the car, it is nothing like how the naysayers say it is, it is easy to maintain, just add diesel and go for all regular services, it is a pleasure to own and drive, easy to maneuver in the city, people make way for you and parking is not a hassle.

It is indeed reassuring to hear that.. I had test driven the Dicor in 2007 and 2009 when I was looking out for an upgrade, and quite frankly was put off by some horror stories going around in tbhp at that time (dont remember the details, but was enough to discourage me..)

Then I did checked out the Storme when it was released, and I remember being disappointed on the lack of initiative on Tata's part to improve the interiors. Did a small test drive then too.

The new Storme definitely has moved a couple of steps ahead in terms of interior quality, to an "acceptable" level. But I know that I will never buy a Safari on the merits of interior quality and gizmos alone. Those are wrong parameters to consider. So I am willing to accept that this is what I will get.

But reliability is an important parameter for me and so is the service experience. The showroom experience when I checked out the new model a couple of days back wasnt too bad. The salesman was quite eager and co-operative though I felt he lacked a bit on training to point out the details. For example he wasnt able to clarify whether something was done on the suspension ( just a query ).

Reliability and more importantly ageing. I keep cars for long periods. I have not sold a car yet! I have two in my stable, one is in its 13th year, and the other just completed 5. 120+K and around 70k respectively on the odo. Both Hyundais, and both still feel very fresh. Paint retains the shine, interiors are very good, and no squeaks or rattles. I know I cant expect that much from a Tata, but I need to use it for at least 6 to 7 years without much hassles. I am still not entirely convinced about this aspect to be very frank. I am hearing that the Storme has moved forward on that front, and hopefully the new update is better too.

Door rattles are a common problem I keep hearing in the forum.

The driving pleasure and feel factor is very much a big plus which I am sure no other car will be able to beat.

Its a big decision. XUV is on the other side - I don't care much for the looks- what really attracts me to the XUV are a) the level of safety features it has, 6 airbags, ABS, ESP, rollover mitigation ( I keep hearing but not sure about how effective this is ) etc., b) the six gears and cruise control it has, and c) the Engine which I feel is its strongest point.

Anyway I am rambling here, was just thinkg out loud on some of these points. Didn't want to bring in a comparison in this thread.

Last edited by Bigzero : 11th June 2015 at 10:05.
Bigzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2015, 10:14   #4177
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: mumbai
Posts: 1,893
Thanked: 1,779 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigzero View Post
It is indeed reassuring to hear that.. I had test driven the Dicor in 2007 and 2009 when I was looking out for an upgrade, and quite frankly was put off by some horror stories going around in tbhp at that time (dont remember the details, but was enough to discourage me..)

Then I did checked out the Storme when it was released, and I remember being disappointed on the lack of initiative on Tata's part to improve the interiors. Did a small test drive then too.

The new Storme definitely has moved a couple of steps ahead in terms of interior quality, to an "acceptable" level. But I know that I will never buy a Safari on the merits of interior quality and gizmos alone. Those are wrong parameters to consider. So I am willing to accept that this is what I will get.

But reliability is an important parameter for me and so is the service experience. The showroom experience when I checked out the new model a couple of days back wasnt too bad. The salesman was quite eager and co-operative though I felt he lacked a bit on training to point out the details. For example he wasnt able to clarify whether something was done on the suspension ( just a query ).

Reliability and more importantly ageing. I keep cars for long periods. I have not sold a car yet! I have two in my stable, one is in its 13th year, and the other just completed 5. 120+K and around 70k respectively on the odo. Both Hyundais, and both still feel very fresh. Paint retains the shine, interiors are very good, and no squeaks or rattles. I know I cant expect that much from a Tata, but I need to use it for at least 6 to 7 years without much hassles. I am still not entirely convinced about this aspect to be very frank. I am hearing that the Storme has moved forward on that front, and hopefully the new update is better too.

Door rattles are a common problem I keep hearing in the forum.

The driving pleasure and feel factor is very much a big plus which I am sure no other car will be able to beat.

Its a big decision. XUV is on the other side - I don't care much for the looks- what really attracts me to the XUV are a) the level of safety features it has, 6 airbags, ABS, ESP, rollover mitigation ( I keep hearing but not sure about how effective this is ) etc., b) the six gears and cruise control it has, and c) the Engine which I feel is its strongest point.

Anyway I am rambling here, was just thinkg out loud on some of these points. Didn't want to bring in a comparison in this thread.
You have every right to compare.. you are plonking in your hard earned money on a car, you wish to keep at least for the next 5-7 years if not more. From my view point, owning two Tata cars, I can say that, mechanically they are very reliable, the earlier horror stories are right, the 2007/08 Dicors were atrocious in their mechanicals, especially the 2.2 liter engines, I suppose they were rushed into production and the resulting bad mouthing (well deserved) has pulled down the Safari brand to its current lows. But from 2012 onwards the 2.2 liter Dicor engine has become a refined gem, there are no mechanical gremlins to speak of, and quality is more than acceptable. The older Dicor does suffer from inconsistent panel gaps, fit and finish issues and the classic door and plastic rattles, however the Storme i have (June 2014) has no such issues. There is not a single squeak or rattle to speak of, the only one I encountered was a squeaking middle seat fastening, which I got rectified by simple lubrication and tightening, all this on 17000kms of bad and atrocious roads and at high speeds. So frankly the Storme is a different car bearing the same Safari name, it shares very little mechanical parts with its earlier sibling and the quality of the interiors and fit and finish IMO is superior to the Scorpio or the Xuv.
Gizmos yes, there are very little bells and whistles on the Storme, but it has what ever I require in a long distance cruiser and I am not game for silly things like tyre pressure sensors or rain sensing wipers or headlights, IMO if a driver can't do this much, he rather be chauffeured around. What would make the Storme a complete package is an automatic gear box and cruise control.. I was expecting these in the current refresh....
apachelongbow is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2015, 10:43   #4178
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Chennai
Posts: 115
Thanked: 67 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
What would make the Storme a complete package is an automatic gear box and cruise control.. I was expecting these in the current refresh....
Maybe they have left it for one last refresh in a coule of years.
varunanb is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2015, 11:37   #4179
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,018
Thanked: 360 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigzero View Post

Reliability and more importantly ageing. I keep cars for long periods. I have not sold a car yet! I have two in my stable, one is in its 13th year, and the other just completed 5. 120+K and around 70k respectively on the odo. Both Hyundais, and both still feel very fresh. Paint retains the shine, interiors are very good, and no squeaks or rattles. I know I cant expect that much from a Tata, but I need to use it for at least 6 to 7 years without much hassles. I am still not entirely convinced about this aspect to be very frank. I am hearing that the Storme has moved forward on that front, and hopefully the new update is better too. .
Why you should not expect from Tata ? And belive me Safari is better then a Honda or Maruti in terms of aging , Mine is 2008 2.2 VTT Dicor black colour.

Paint is shiny and as good as new barring the nicks and scratches which are gift of traffic , Done 75K and engine is as good as it was on day 1 , Pulls like electric train.
And what hassles are you talking about ? A 15K Km ( 20K in new storme) or 1 year service is too much of hassel ?

To me a Honda which recommends 6 months service and 3 months minor service is a major hassel itself and also It does not mean that there are no problems in Honda ownership. Just that Safari is bought by niche section of buyers who are more technically inclined and like to know innards of car.

A small example I have a top end Amaze in terms of price it is almost same as Safari LX. There was some level of cribbing on Amaze thread on T-BHP on break pads squeeking under 10K I just asked people did you check size of pad and OEM manufacturer just in order to help and recommed the aftermarket solution but 0 response.
Next I was getting foul smell in cabin I asked on the same thread does Amaze have in-Cabin Air filter , Again zero response.

I don't want to deride anyone however 2.2 VTT thread is one where you get response with in hours. People know inside out and can even tell part numbers.

Ofcourse there are incidences where even Behram Sahab is unwilling to help like I asked what happens if friction modifier is added to open diff ? In safari it is recommended only on differential with LSD but no response that may be deliberate so that 2X2 owners don't ask for friction modifier
amitk26 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2015, 11:48   #4180
BHPian
 
CarCynic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: India
Posts: 30
Thanked: 34 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

I hope this is the right thread to ask this question.

Last week my father's Storme just refused to move forward after a 100km drive. He dropped someone at the airport, the engine was left running and when he tried to drive (after releasing the hand brake) the vehicle just didn't move forward. He said it felt like the differential was jammed (he used this just to describe what he experienced, he is not sure about this). Then he tried reversing and it moved, accompanied by some noise. He put it in the forward gear and this time the vehicle moved, again with noise. The noise lasted for approximately 200 meters and it drove fine after that.

He stopped a few more times and faced no issues on the 100 km drive back. He has made an appointment at the TASS for this Saturday to get this checked. I just want to know if anybody else has experienced something similar, or if anybody has any idea about the problem? I know too well that the local TASS guys will just take a test drive and if they do not find any issue they probably won't open anything to check. If he goes there armed with at least some speculations/possibilities, he can ask them to check those areas.

The vehicle is 1 year old and has done approximately 10,000 kms so far.

Thanks for your time and replies.

Last edited by CarCynic : 11th June 2015 at 11:59.
CarCynic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2015, 19:07   #4181
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 33
Thanked: 61 Times
Thumbs up Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
Most of the criticisms have flowed from people who have never owned a Safari/Storme or even intend to buy one. There are myriad reasons and excuses to either buy or not buy any car on earth, but in case of the Safari, people admire it for various reasons, but many times, constraints like family size, utility, space, parking or even finances prevent people from owning it. It is like owning a Mahindra Thar or a Royal Enfield bullet, people lust for it, but may not be interested in maintaining it.
But for people sitting on the fence regarding the Safari, my take is, please go for the car, it is nothing like how the naysayers say it is, it is easy to maintain, just add diesel and go for all regular services, it is a pleasure to own and drive, easy to maneuver in the city, people make way for you and parking is not a hassle.
You have very aptly captured my experience. For past 1 year, as I tried to decide between XUV AWD, Duster AWD, used Fortuner and Safari Storme 4WD, I had a lot of people dissuading me from Safari by pointing at niggles, bad product and service issues. Interestingly, none of these people had ever owned a tata product leave alone Safari Storme. The hold of negative TATA image on people who have not even tried the product is indeed amazing.

Fortunately I had earlier owned a Tata Indigo Marina which served me very faithfully and without any tantrums for 4 years and 70,000 KMs (before I had to sell it because of company lease issue). The service by Concorde Motors Hyderabd was also satisfactory - Atleast not much different from what I experienced for my Esteem or Santro. So I tried to get feedback from people who actually owned the car. Came across very good words about Safari Dicor from one owner and about Safari Storme from another. Similarly went through the ownership reviews of each of the short listed cars on this forum. Based on owners feedback in person plus ownership reviews on this forum, I have taken the plunge. I have booked Urban Bronze VX 4WD and expect it to be delivered next week. Keeping my fingers crossed and hoping for a wonderful experience over next 10 years.
aviddenis is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2015, 21:15   #4182
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Chennai
Posts: 115
Thanked: 67 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviddenis View Post
I have taken the plunge. I have booked Urban Bronze VX 4WD and expect it to be delivered next week. Keeping my fingers crossed and hoping for a wonderful experience over next 10 years.
Congratulations. It definitely will be a wonderful experience.
varunanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2015, 11:38   #4183
Senior - BHPian
 
VeluM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,195
Thanked: 555 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarCynic View Post
The vehicle is 1 year old and has done approximately 10,000 kms so far.

Thanks for your time and replies.
I'm far from being an expert, but a few details you should provide that will help the experts answer are:

1. Model of your vehicle (LX...)
2. 2WD or 4WD
3. Where the vehicle is located, and to which airport did your father drive
4. When was the vehicle serviced last

If your father applied the hand brake, it could be do to the brakepads sticking, esp if they were hot due to a lot of application during the drive to the airport. Assuming your father took it easy on the way back fearing that the issue may reoccur, this may not have happened again. The ASC should try and replicate the conditions your father encountered when driving to the airport.

If the vehicle is 4WD, was any 4WD mode engaged at any point during the journey? Accidentally?

Sorry, just my 2 bits from a layman's perspective.

Last edited by VeluM : 13th June 2015 at 11:39.
VeluM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2015, 15:09   #4184
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 68
Thanked: 48 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Test drove the new storme today and fell in love with the beast immediately, yet again. It so reminds me of the feeling I got when I rode the Enfield for the first timetime. Decision made. Monday it is for booking the black guy. A VX 4X4

Last edited by ampere : 13th June 2015 at 16:18. Reason: Removed extra dots
Libra is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2015, 16:26   #4185
BHPian
 
Seek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 157
Thanked: 168 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libra View Post
Test drove the new storme today and fell in love with the beast immediately, yet again. It so reminds me of the feeling I got when I rode the Enfield for the first timetime. Decision made. Monday it is for booking the black guy. A VX 4X4
Hi Libra, which city? I am still waiting to test drive the new storme here in Chennai. Getting to hear the same response from 2 dealers for the last 2 weeks "test drive vehicle will come in 10 days!"
Seek is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tata Safari Storme 4x4 : Official Review tsk1979 Official New Car Reviews 198 26th November 2015 19:02


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 17:45.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks